Forza Demo

Discussion in 'Forza Motorsport 1' started by McLaren, Nov 21, 2004.

1. 98cobra

98cobra

Oh yeah. :)

2. CAMAROBOY69

CAMAROBOY69 Premium

Finally my Eb-Games store got their new shipment of Official X-box magazines and they finally have the Forza demo. I will be picking this up tonight to try it! :tup:

3. CAMAROBOY69

CAMAROBOY69 Premium

Do I have the wrong Forza demo?!! It only lets me play 1 track with only a few cars. Thats all nothing else to do.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. CAMAROBOY69

CAMAROBOY69 Premium

I guess I will post my opinion of this demo. To start with there is only 1 track but at least it is a good track. Laguna Seca. Just dont buy this demo. Its not worth it in my opinion. 1 track and several cars just isnt worth it IMO.
    The graphics are decent slightly comparable to GT3 but not as good. The screenshots he listed are NOT from this demo.
    The cars do not handle very good at all. You have to brake like there is no tomorrow. It seems exaggerated but mabey I am just way to used to the controls in GT3 but still not comfortable with the handling at all.
    There is car damage on this demo and you can see your paint scrape off onto the gaurd rails. Kinda cool. The AI does not seem to be as intelligent as Toca 2.
    The sounds are decent for the exhaust but nothing that is extremely impressive.
    This is really all I have for now for the review of the demo.
    And keep in mind I was extremely excited to get this demo and I do not take sides of PS2 vs X-box at all. Almost every racing game on the X-box has blow PS2 away but so far this demo didnt impress me.
    I do feel the full game will be much more fun with the ability to make adjustments to the cars handling and suspension.

5. BlackZ28

BlackZ28

I loved the demo, it seemed very realistic to me. I actually liked the physics a lot, braking is important and this game lets you know. Makes GT3 seem EASY. Forza isnt hard though, so dont get the wrong impression. :tup:
    As for the gfx, they are great, but like someone else mentioned-- they are too bright, or ''water color-ish.'' Just needs to have more "life-like" tones. :idea:
    Overall, I thought the demo was worth it, I played the demo with every car. Plus, Conker is pretty fun too LOL :)

6. kinigitt

kinigitt

if anything, the conker demo was worth the purchase of the magazine.

"Teddiz? I hate those guys!"

7. McLaren

McLaren Premium

Of course! That Conker demo was incredibly awesome!
    When is the release date? 2005?

8. Swift

Swift Staff Emeritus

Fire helmet: Equipped
    Fire retardant suit: On
    I'm now ready for the impending flames.

Ok,
    First, if Forza was trying to be better then GT3 then that's pretty sad. GT3 is over 3 years old now. If there competing with something, it should be GT4 or at least GT4 prologue.

Second, has anyone here that agrees with Forza's braking style been on a racing course? You DO have to stand on the brake. Feathering the brake is not something you do when coming of a long straight. Sometimes in the twistys but feathering or pumping the brakes will keep the shifting the weight of the car all over the place. Look at the best motoring or other instructional or vids. Check out the braking. The stay on the brake, then as they enter the corner are coming off the brake. If the pumped the brakes all the time, they couldn't maintain traction for cornering.

Ok, I'm done. and prepared for the flames....

9. nk4e

nk4e

I agree with Swift

10. Swift

Swift Staff Emeritus

Thanks NK4E

11. vinkento

vinkento

I'm on Swift's side as well... but my view is that Forza is the leprosy of all racing games. I believe Forza should be put on it's own little island with the rest of the terrible racing games to live out the rest of it's diseased, pitiful life. I had to be cleansed by the church after playing the demo and I'm still recovering from the shock.

12. kinigitt

kinigitt

pretty clever way of saying you didnt like it. but there are absolutely no reasons provided.

I agree on the braking issue, but it's really not a finished product. So reserve such harsh judgement for a later date. If it sucks as much as it sucks now, it'll have to settle for 2nd or 3rd shelf racing game. But it has potential.

Some people just like being nitpicky and ripping things apart before they're even built. These people make the internet suck.

13. Swift

Swift Staff Emeritus

Ok cool. But if that's the case, it shouldn't be called a "GT3 killer" in demo mode either.

I have no problem with reserving judgement. I just have issues when people praise an aspect of a game that is completely unrealistic.

BTW, thanx Vink. :)

14. kinigitt

kinigitt

Ditto.

15. jjboi

jjboi

:sly: Seriously, I don't see why there's such hot debates (or any debates at all) going on between Forza and GT4. I mean, let's think realisticlly here. Who HONESTLY thinks that a game just taking it's first few baby steps (in this case, Forza) can topple the fourth installment in a proven, solid line of electronic racing pedigree (in this case, GT4)? I for one sure don't. But that's NOT to say that Forza will suck. Having played the demo myself, I'm quite satisfied with what's been done, and even if I didn't play the demo, I'm pretty sure that my confidence in it would still remain roughly the same. Though whether or not it'll be the Xbox's best racer is debatable (just because it's a simulation doesn't mean it outright beats the arcade-style offerings. It has to EARN that right, and I don't think it'll topple Project Gotham Racing 2 in terms of fun value when all's said and done), but there's no denying that it'll be "better than average". No matter the results of Forza, though, one thing is certain, and it's that we are, whether you like it or not, ARE looking at a long-term competitor to the Gran Turismo series. A competitor that'll dethrone GT or remain in it's huge shadow is yet unknown, but Forza IS in it for the long run, and for racing fans looking for an alternative, that's the beuty of the whole thing. You don't have to like it. You don't even have to appreciate it. But you'll have to live with it. :sly:

16. kinigitt

kinigitt

Yep. Microsoft won't just sit on the bench and watch sony eat the whole sim racer pie. So people might as well accept the fact that this game might be good, and will inevitably get better.

car list looks snazzy:

http://www.webquad.com/forza/content/view/39/44/

17. Swift

Swift Staff Emeritus

This may have been already answered. But why can Microsoft get Ferrari and Porsche but Polyphony can't? :grumpy:

18. kinigitt

kinigitt

because microsoft has deep pockets?

I don't get why PD doesn't just tug on Sony's sleeve to shell out the licensing cash. Or maybe it's a matter of EA not selling it to them no matter what? I was under the impression that EA no longer has exclusive rights since November, so I don't think that would be the case.

Maybe they're doing it out of spite!

"You think you can charge that much just for us to use your cars? Well FU. We'll make do without."

19. Swift

Swift Staff Emeritus

Yeah, that makes sense. Too bad. having the "big three" in GT would be incredible. Oh well. :indiff:

BTW: JJboi, you made a very good point. :tup:

20. jjboi

jjboi

:sly: Always nice the be appreciated. Thanks!!! :sly:

21. HUDSONJONES

HUDSONJONES

there is no doubt in my mind gt4 will totaly blow forza out of the water, there is something about xbox driving games, they look very similar and not quite there in the realistic stakes, whereas gt4 has a double take effect when ever you see some footage..is that real or is it gt4?? but as for the handling(for forza) that will have to be tried before judgement is given.

22. code_kev

code_kev

I still think forza feels more realistic tbh, especially with the way the wheels grip the tarmac. They have some real bite. Not saying it's better, but that's my opinion.

http://db2.fotocommunity.de/picserver/pic/96/931596.jpg

You gotta love the internal views on PGR2 XD

I still think pgr2 has moments of looking realistic for a game though.

And let's all remember that the experienced one doesn't allways win, remember back to sony and sega back in 1994/95 people.

23. Swift

Swift Staff Emeritus

How can you say one feels better then the other and haven't played the final product yet? Who knows what build of Forza was in that demo. It could be very different now. There is ZERO point in saying what feels/looks/acts better or worse until we get the finished products.

If you want to talk about what you liked about the demo by itself, cool. But don't compare demos it makes no sense and is ultimately useless.

24. CAMAROBOY69

CAMAROBOY69 Premium

Here is a video from the Forza Demo from Gametrailers.com
    Forza Demo

25. Swift

Swift Staff Emeritus

Well, that guy is using the controller and it's probably the first or second time they played.

I don't know what's up with all the sparks everytime you come in contact with another car. It didn't look too bad. But not anything incredible. I'm not judgine the game, but this particular vid. It just seemed very lackluster and the HUD was very uninspired. Overall, not bad, but not fantastic either.... :indiff:

26. CAMAROBOY69

CAMAROBOY69 Premium

That is just how bad the demo is. The demo sucks and thats proof. The game itself will probably be great but the demo just plain sucks. That video is the real deal. Before you spam me I am very excited about this game and I cant wait until it is released. I just hate the demo.

27. TriplePlay

TriplePlay

Demos dont account for anything. I remember back in the days of PS1, there was a game caled NFL EXTREME 2. The demo for that game was amazing, so much damn fun, throwing guys around, i remember how much fun i had with the demo. I bought the game, it sucked major ass. Never again will i trust a demo.

28. Dave A

Dave A Premium

I will be getting Forza when it comes out (which I hope will be in April and it won't emulate GT4 even more and slip again). I do thionk GT4 wil be by far the better game, however I fully encourage competiton like this, the better Forza is, the better GT5 will have to be and the better Forza 2 and so on. that vid wasn't too impressive, thoes sparks were annoying since that doesn't happen in real life. I do feel McLaren F1 GTR needs to get his head out of Forza's ass after readiong his first post, no offence but after reading a rather large number of opinions on the demo here and at other sites the general opinion is the demo was okay, nothing special but the final game looks very promising. Forza may be beter thn GT3, but it won't come close to GT4, maye Forza 2 v GT5 will be a closer comparison but even that might be too soon in Forza's life to compete with Polyphony's experience and proven exellence.

29. McLaren

McLaren Premium

It would seem some people here are too much of a d*mn GT fanboy, which I expect considering this site is about the world of GT, to at least admit that considering this is Xbox's first car simulator, that's a pretty good job. I never said Forza was better than GT4, and if you think I did, you need to get up and go see an eye doctor. I really couldn't give a crap if it is better or not. Some people on this love GT too much to even try to give other sims a chance.

BTW, for the people (you know who you are) who think this is what Forza will be like, here's some news. The demo is over 6 months old.

In all out respect, I'll be buying both games. I don't care which one is better. If some people who say they like all cars game, espcially the ones here, you'd be telling the truth by saying you won't care which one does better. :tdown:

Some people need to stop acting like GT is their almighty god racer.

PS: To those who actually stated good reasons and why they don't care which is better, thanks. I'm glad to see some people like you. :tup:

30. jjboi

jjboi

:sly: Okay, okay. Let's end all the bull**** right here and now( atleast when concerning the visuals side of things). When I look at photos of Forza (or video or gameplay footage of it), I picture myself watching a high-quality broadcast, live HDTV-enabled racing event on the Speed network. Now, when I see photos of GT4 (or video or gameplay footage of GT4), I instead picture myself watching high-profile, big-budget, special-effects galore Hollywood racing flick. My point? Both games look realistic and have really nice art styles, but which one you prefer depends on your own preferences. Neither is really better than the other, just different. 'Nuff said. :sly: