Forza Horizon 2 To Disappear From Xbox Store September 30

IMO, it was simultaneously good enough to negate the XBone version as a selling point for a whole new console, and shoddy enough to put me off because the relative lack of quality control felt like a bit of a slap in the face to loyal FM/FH1 fans who hadn't bought an XBone yet.
I think with the visual fidelity they were aiming for, there was no way the original 360 was going to be able to keep up with the demand of the game. That, coupled with the fact that it wasn't even Playground Games that developed it.

I think with the visual fidelity they were aiming for, there was no way the original 360 was going to be able to keep up with the demand of the game. That, coupled with the fact that it wasn't even Playground Games that developed it.
I'm aware it was developed by Sumo Digital, and Sumo doesn't exactly have the best track record in terms of polish, but it seemed to me like it was rushed to launch.

My problems with it didn't really have anything to do with what the XB360 could or couldn't handle -- it was things like the amount of glitches in the map (and their severity), the poor AI, and the number of times the game locked up on me.

My problems with it didn't really have anything to do with what the XB360 could or couldn't handle -- it was things like the amount of glitches in the map (and their severity), the poor AI, and the number of times the game locked up on me.
Well that's what I'm meaning, with their push to the visual forefront, I'm wondering if that had anything to do with the issues the game faced.

IMO, it was simultaneously good enough to negate the XBone version as a selling point for a whole new console, and shoddy enough to put me off because the relative lack of quality control felt like a bit of a slap in the face to loyal FM/FH1 fans who hadn't bought an XBone yet.

The 360 version was not even close as good as the xone version. You had no drivetrain swaps,
No wheelspins like in xone version. Less cars and content. And there was places you could not go to on the 360 version

Yet, like I mentioned, ironically GT6 isn't listed for purchase as a digital download anymore. You can still check out the listing, but theres no download option, even if you click the download option. You can add it to your wishlist though.

Methinks there are other reasons why GT6 was delisted, namely the fact you can't update the game from scratch without corrupting the game data unless you go through an extremely tedious process of downloading them one at a time and launching the game after each one to install them before downloading another... and even this isn't necessarily guaranteed. I just tried it again about a week ago, got up to version 1.13 before my install got corrupted.

Methinks there are other reasons why GT6 was delisted, namely the fact you can't update the game from scratch without corrupting the game data unless you go through an extremely tedious process of downloading them one at a time and launching the game after each one to install them before downloading another... and even this isn't necessarily guaranteed. I just tried it again about a week ago, got up to version 1.13 before my install got corrupted.
Why would a completely different and isolated game corrupt a digital download when they have the source files that wouldn’t require any tinkering to the available product that’s in stores?

Either way, that’s supposedly the route that Forza games took and it never interrupted anything from a previous iteration.

Edit: I completly misunderstood :lol: that sounds like an even worse reason than not having licenses anymore. That’s just incompetence if that’s the case.

Another weird thing is that the servers for GT are shut down too, so even if you had a fine copy of the game you can’t even play online, which isn’t the case for the Forza games, if I’m not mistaken.

Last edited:
This is getting extensive
No understanding for it. As in - it's obvious why this happens and I get that, but I refuse to just accept it. I'm biased with this game, it's probably my favourite.
I really don't get how you can easily throw out "no understanding for it." Licenses cost money, and for a game to be up-kept like that, you'd have to constantly pay/renew that license. Eventually, it becomes a loss of money. For the vast amount of vehicles that these games, as well as the many, many games they have out, I'm sure it adds up. Refusing to accept it just doesn't really sound logical in this regard.

I don't demand to keep it on sale forever, though I wouldn't defend timed licenses - I simply find 4 years silly short. I detailed my reasons throughout that post. If stuff no longer earns any revenue I fear these titles will end like FM1-4/PGR and stay completely inaccessible on future tech. I'd hate that, in particular with FH2, so I'm protesting, that's all. Most publishers seem to do 10 year contracts and I'd agree that's a reasonable time frame, especially when the game is available in various ways by then. Ideally digital distribution should mean minimal cost to keep offering digital content for those interested. As Kyle pointed out, servers are still live (mostly) for older titles. FH1 got the 4K One X patch a couple months after it was taken off store. Luckily MS has changed direction for now, coming off the X1 launch...

Most NFS have less manufacturers and music, but tons of licenses when you think of all decal sponsors and brand advertising in the game world. Undercover is so old it had PS2 and PSP versions with completely different licensed content. It comes from everyone's favourite epitome of greed, EA, yet it's still sold after nearly 10 years.
And the very same is with these games, on a much larger scale. I also wonder if that's why there's little variation to the available cars in the many games that they have out, that make it easier in that regard. They seem to always aim for the extremely similar vehicles, with some new sprinkled in from time to time, especially lately. Or it's just EA being EA and trying to pinch every single penny they can out of something.

It's not like EA went cheap on car licenses - they cancelled Burnout in favour of NFS, signed Porsche exclusive, had Lamborghini in every and Ferrari in some releases (known for being the two most expensive), many BMW features, Bugatti, Pagani, Koenigsegg, ... The car lists were shorter and had less obscure choices, but they always license expensive brands for 10 years. Besides, EA isn't the benchmark. Just a greedy, comparable example. Codemasters also seem to do 10 years, with all sorts of brands and racing classes. R* too.

This may have had purpose when it was just iterations of Forza Motorsport which always improved and made the previous entries redundant (in theory), but it's just a sign of cost cutting and disrespect for their own work and legacy now when it comes to titles as unique as Horizon.
There's been more change to the Horizon series with it's iterations compared to Motorsport, so I can't really understand where you're trying to get with that. I'm also completely baffled as to how its disrespecting its own work? Before this digital-age push, this was things that they didn't have to worry about because once the game was published, hard copies where made, and stopped at a certain point. A prolonged license agreement wasn't needed, but now with it constantly being sold as digital, it likely changes that scenario. That's just my guess, though.

That's what I wrote, I think you got me wrong - especially the FH games are unique, not iterations. Making agreements last just four years was daft from the start, particularly after the success of FM4 and FH1. License deals for FH2 must have been made when Xbox One was still under Don Mattrick's terrible lead, which didn't help, but it means they even had visions of completely digital-only Xbox games. That should've made them reconsider and finally change or remove that clause, it's archaic and doesn't fit with digital selling at all. Yet for all we know it might still be a rule for new titles.

What other games are even pulled so quickly?
I think a better developer to compare this to would be GT6 in my opinion, as they are both extremely large games in comparison to the relatively small games that NFS. That game was also removed digitally 4 years into its life span. Why is it that these two fairly similar games are both facing the same issue?

Possible they have similar agreements, GT6 is a traditional title though. Sony appears set on no PS3 titles on PS4. Frankly, with servers done, I have no interest in playing GT6 on newer hardware either, I'd much rather see proper GT7 soon. Still, being de-listed affects the games differently. In GT6: 1200 cars, all additional content is included in free patches you can still download (with broken installers lol). FH2 on X1 has 351 cars (338 playable); 134 are downloadable content + 2 expansions with careers which include a new map + a standalone extra game + various small stuff. If you're missing any extra purchase, soon it's gone forever.

These situations are why PC games are better. Assetto Corsa on PC discontinued. So what! MODS, MODS AND MORE MODS! This is also when piracy comes in useful and you can just download a version with full DLC even if it's not sold anymore.

Much prefer Horizon 2 to 3 though. Prefer the euro-vibe to the aussie-hoon.

I don't demand to keep it on sale forever, though I wouldn't defend timed licenses - I simply find 4 years silly short. I detailed my reasons throughout that post. If stuff no longer earns any revenue I fear these titles will end like FM1-4/PGR and stay completely inaccessible on future tech. I'd hate that, in particular with FH2, so I'm protesting, that's all
Yeah, and I understand what you're saying. I just don't agree with the opinion or how it was formed. Either way, we're all just playing a guessing game.

Most publishers seem to do 10 year contracts and I'd agree that's a reasonable time frame, especially when the game is available in various ways by then. Ideally digital distribution should mean minimal cost to keep offering digital content for those interested. As Kyle pointed out, servers are still live (mostly) for older titles. FH1 got the 4K One X patch a couple months after it was taken off store. Luckily MS has changed direction for now, coming off the X1 launch...
That's where I disagree. Digital content is a reason why the licenses would have to be prolonged for so long as they're still supporting the product through digital download. If it was all hard disc, and nothing but, then they could let the licenses expire as soon as they stop supporting the game with post-launch DLC, which is likely a year in. That is where I think the problem lies with the digital age. If youre still selling it digitally then you still have to uphold those licenses I would imagine, where as if it was purely hard-disc like in the past, the license deal would be one-and-done, I would imagine. Again, that's just a guess though.

It's not like EA went cheap on car licenses - they cancelled Burnout in favour of NFS, signed Porsche exclusive, had Lamborghini in every and Ferrari in some releases (known for being the two most expensive), many BMW features, Bugatti, Pagani, Koenigsegg, ... The car lists were shorter and had less obscure choices, but they always license expensive brands for 10 years. Besides, EA isn't the benchmark. Just a greedy, comparable example. Codemasters also seem to do 10 years, with all sorts of brands and racing classes. R* too.
Yeah, and any expensive brand that EA gets, T10 has tenfold more in every direction. You gotta think, if they're supporting games from 4-5 iterations ago, then they have to hold a license for every single car in every single game that is out. Forza 7 with 700+, and Horizon 4 with 400-500~ is a lot for only counting two games of the what, 4-5 that have been out? Of course there will be some overlap, but there is vastly more cars for them to cover than EA.

Every single game you've listed is significantly smaller than the one you're comparing it too. Like I mentioned, the only other one of this scale seemed to shut down in a similar time frame. Why that is, we don't know.

especially the FH games are unique, not iterations.
An iteration just means next in the series - FH4 is the next iteration of Fh3.

Making agreements last just four years was daft from the start, particularly after the success of FM4 and FH1
And then maybe not so much, following immediately after the lackluster general consensus that FM5 formed.

That should've made them reconsider and finally change or remove that clause, it's archaic and doesn't fit with digital selling at all. Yet for all we know it might still be a rule for new titles.
Thats the thing, "for all we know" is absolutely nothing. We don't know if this is what's even going on.

Possible they have similar agreements, GT6 is a traditional title though. Sony appears set on no PS3 titles on PS4. Frankly, with servers done, I have no interest in playing GT6 on newer hardware either, I'd much rather see proper GT7 soon.
Regardless of such, there was a massive fan base still there. Servers and everything, so even if you buy the game you are losing out more than FH2 in this case if you're a multiplayer fan. However, most of the game is still available regardless, for both.

Still, being de-listed affects the games differently. In GT6: 1200 cars, all additional content is included in free patches you can still download (with broken installers lol). FH2 on X1 has 351 cars (338 playable); 134 are downloadable content + 2 expansions with careers which include a new map + a standalone extra game + various small stuff. If you're missing any extra purchase, soon it's gone forever.
Not according to @Lain, who can't even get through the download phase because it gets corrupted every time. I wonder if that's linked to the fact that the servers are offline, essentially rendering it an offline game? Who knows, it all is a bit weird - You're correct though, if you don't snag this free version with all the content, then you're out of luck unless you go buy a physical version.

GT6's update system was broken a long time ago way before the game was removed from sale & servers shut off. You just had to keep trying and get lucky if you were more than a couple of steps behind on your version. Pathetic!

GT6's update system was broken a long time ago way before the game was removed from sale & servers shut off. You just had to keep trying and get lucky if you were more than a couple of steps behind on your version. Pathetic!
I never had a problem updating...

I never had a problem updating...

Lucky you! I struggled with it.
I was about 4 updates behind as I stopped playing for a few months. As I remember I had to install one update at a time then cancel the next one, load the game/exit the game start the next etc. Otherwise it would just hang on the subsequent update.

I'm glad I've got this game uploaded to my XB1. Not only do I think the southern European environment is beautiful, but also it's the last Horizon with both VW and Toyota.

I'm glad I've got this game uploaded to my XB1. Not only do I think the southern European environment is beautiful, but also it's the last Horizon with both VW and Toyota.

Yep you got that right, I only started playing it last month and right now I can't put it down, I'm loving it. I should have played it ages ago! I just hope that the servers for road trips and rivals come back online..

Back