Forza Horizon 4: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 13,852 comments
Last night I finally qualified for a ranked tier in online adventure, and the seasonal percentage counter took a comfortable leap to 97% (whew). Not sure I'll ever touch online adventure again though. Brutal loading times and the competitive format doesn't do justice to the wide variety of cars in the game, as lower PI classes are never part of the equation. Car divisions are seemingly also nonexistent in the multiplayer realm. Pretty damn boring unless someone decides to press the "wololo" button when you least expect it.

I originally wasn’t going to bother getting 100% on the playlist, but someone on TrueAchievements discovered that you don’t need to finish all 10 online adventures in Free-for-All to qualify.

Using this method, I only had to finish one. With the worst part out of the way, I decided to just go for it and did the Trial next, and my team won on the first attempt. I still haven’t done the Playground Games event yet, so hopefully that will go smoothly. After that, I only need to make sure I do daily Forzathon challenges as they come.

Personally I think AR12's take on the Festival playlist is bang on.

For those who don't want to watch here are his suggested improvements:
  • Show the percentage of each task in the Playlist menu
  • First Reward car should required 25% completion (down from 50%)
  • Second Reward car should require 50% completion (down from 100%)
  • Cash, Influence, wheelspins should be rewarded at 75% and 100% completion

My take on the update:
The idea of having to 100% a season to win a car is asking way TOO MUCH. A lot of people aren't going to have this kind of time nor want to spend this much time to win a car each week. People have their own lives to worry about (jobs, school, children, & etc) and don't always have time to put towards FH4. I personally really don't want to do 100% as that includes having to do the stupid multiplayer challenge against other players, I hated it when PG forced me to do this in FH3 to win cars sometimes and I HATE it here. I have to put up most of the time with random players that won't guarantee me a win while the other team could be massively more skilled at the challenges, that annoys me.

However, I have found some things to like from the update. I honestly like the update U.I. for the seasons; everything is well-organized and I can tell exactly what challenges I need to do. Additionally, I like the concept of these seasonal challenges more than they were previously. If they just lower the requirements to something more doable; this could be a bit more satisfying to play. If executed well, players could just choose what challenges they want to do in order to win prize cars versus having to do one event type.

For example, like what FT-1 above me said; if the prizes were 25% & 50%. I could just choose to do the small challenges and single player events while leaving the multiplayer events alone. I did enjoy the Ford Anglia event against the train along with the street events. I was taking on muscle cars with my C3 Corvette ZR-1.

I was thinking that, maybe the 812? If not an entirely new car, anyway. It can't be a PO car (unless, of course, it can), probably won't be any of those "hidden" cars like the Crazy Taxi car from the LaRacer story, so what else is there that's even nearly as unobtainable? Apart from the Chevy Colorado ZR2, I mean.

I have those two so it won't work on me again :P

I guess the 812. There can't be many cars that haven't been on offer more than once now. If they put a new car there, there's always the thought that they will offer it again in another way later, so it would have to be very compelling. The trouble is, not many of the cars are unless they can be tuned to be meta or become unicorns. So, my best bet, apart from the 812, would be a new FE of something.

But if their metrics are looking good for now maybe they'll forget that they have to offer up something really special for all the grinding :rolleyes:

@Outspacer I wouldn't mind more FEs, so long as they make them interesting and not just fast versions of already fast cars like the Aventador and MC12 - as much as I like driving those cars, they are a bit obvious.

And who knows, next "year" we'll probably have cars everyone already has at the 50% level per season while the five 100% cars and the year's 50% could be something new.

The fact that the Capri FE is only just being made available outside of the glitched FT shop makes me think they withheld a second chance at the 812, which was arguably one of the better seasonal exclusives pre-festival, specifically because they had this planned for a long time. That could just be wishful thinking though.

On a general note, I'm starting to enjoy team adventure, the only thing I don't like (which is a big one) is that you can't filter your garage according to suspension or tyre type so you don't have long to remember which of your cars has the appropriate setup, then you can't tune or even select a saved preset, then you can't change car if you make a bad choice. I've got a LOT of drift cars and no way to differentiate them so half the time after I pick I'm worried I've picked my S1 drift tuned R32 instead of my S1 race tuned R32, while looking closely at the camber to see if it looks like racing or drift suspension. And yes, I could use my favourites list, if I wasn't already using it to keep track of duplicates so I can sling them all up on the AH quickly when I hit 25 (the daily auction limit)!

Freakin' Spot On!

Next to the online adventure challenge there's a 7... do you really need to reach league level 7 in order to complete it?

IMO, it should be this way:
- all offline activities minus dailies - first car(33%)
- all offline activities with dailies - second car(66%)
- online+offline - FE car(100%)

Series rewards should give unique clothing items, seasonal forzathone shops should sell previous series rewards for forzathone points.

@Outspacer I wouldn't mind more FEs, so long as they make them interesting and not just fast versions of already fast cars like the Aventador and MC12 - as much as I like driving those cars, they are a bit obvious.

And who knows, next "year" we'll probably have cars everyone already has at the 50% level per season while the five 100% cars and the year's 50% could be something new.

The fact that the Capri FE is only just being made available outside of the glitched FT shop makes me think they withheld a second chance at the 812, which was arguably one of the better seasonal exclusives pre-festival, specifically because they had this planned for a long time. That could just be wishful thinking though.

Agreed, they probably planned this for a day or two before throwing it together :lol: But seriously, maybe a couple of months - if it were longer I can't see why they'd hold it back, since they haven't fixed those disconnects that are really getting some people.

Even if further FEs are useless, they're still an obviously collectible set.

On a general note, I'm starting to enjoy team adventure, the only thing I don't like (which is a big one) is that you can't filter your garage according to suspension or tyre type so you don't have long to remember which of your cars has the appropriate setup, then you can't tune or even select a saved preset, then you can't change car if you make a bad choice. I've got a LOT of drift cars and no way to differentiate them so half the time after I pick I'm worried I've picked my S1 drift tuned R32 instead of my S1 race tuned R32, while looking closely at the camber to see if it looks like racing or drift suspension. And yes, I could use my favourites list, if I wasn't already using it to keep track of duplicates so I can sling them all up on the AH quickly when I hit 25 (the daily auction limit)!

I did FFA adventure and actually kind of enjoyed it (when I managed to pick a decent car). The huge BUT is that I wasn't trying to rank up - once you start thinking about that you not only have to have a lot of cars ready (and easy to pick) but all the flaws of ramming etc become far more painful. I picked FFA because getting rammed by someone is slightly easier to bear if they aren't on the same team, haha!

The basic concept of doing a race and blatting cross-country to the next one is OK, I think. If I were to fine tune that I'd make the freeroam parts shorter and score fewer points. I think I'd prefer it if it never changed season as well, always using the current season. Overall it is fun to have a championship where consistent reasonable performance can result in a decent final placing though.

I did a TZ2 with DJS' A800 tune and it rocks, great handling and small enough to be able to go through even thick forests. But if you see a bunch of SUVs on the grid you know you're in for a rough ride! For S1 I had some fun in the Dodge Demon, and that's harder to push aside ;)

S2 on snow just outright sucks, horrible racing.

Overall I doubt I can be arsed to pull together enough cars for events that will be mostly brutal ramfests, but may dip into it from time to time.

Well, now that Mixer and PG have shot themselves in the foot over the influence streams, I've stopped watching them. Even when I can manage to find a live stream, the most I can get is 200 influence for five minutes of watching, versus 500 before. And a lot of streams don't pay out anything, even when they're live. So for the first time since the demo came out, I've stopped streaming Mixer. This is what they intended with this latest update, right?

Did the Playground Games event last night and my team won. Thankfully, it only took one attempt. Most of the other team oddly did not upgrade their cars to the maximum PI, so I’m sure that gave us an advantage. I’m now at 98%.

And just a heads up, a few people on Reddit reported that playing offline caused the game to undo previous Forzathon daily challenges, and it is impossible for them to get 100% on the playlist now. Just another reason why this new system is a terrible idea.

Last edited:
And just a heads up, a few people on Reddit reported that playing offline caused the game to undo previous Forzathon daily challenges, and it is impossible for them to get 100% on the playlist now.

Thanks for this, my connection has been pretty bad recently (someone drove a van into our local "cab in the street") which has caused me to lose my best speed through the motorway speed trap - my game knows I've beaten the PB I've got on the leaderboard because it won't acknowledge a new PB when I go a bit over, but the leaderboard still shows my old record of 275mph, so I need to beat 277.5 (I think) to make it update. Stands to reason a similar bug could occur with the playlist - first rule of networking security, never trust the client!

Wow, he's...spot on.

I bet the designers on FH4 are furious at all of this negative feedback as I can pretty much guarantee these changes weren't their decision. This smacks of someone higher up making a decision based on wanting players to keep playing for longer without knowing much about the actual game or how people want to play it.

EDIT: I wonder if they have actually stopped to consider that there is potentially even more of an incentive to not continue playing if you miss some days of play? Think about it, once you have your 50% completion if you miss so much as a few days you may as well not bother to complete the rest because you get absolutely nothing for getting to 99%. :lol: So those players will just stop playing. There really should have been some leeway built in.

Last edited:
This whole influencer-simulation nonsense is hilarious to me. Whatever, I'll keep enjoying driving my slow ass Range Rover series 1 around in whatever the hell season PG wants me to be in -- gleefully disregarding almost all of the online aspects of the game. I know somewhere within the vast corporate structure that is the MS-T10-PG development pipeline, there is some developer or modeler or art designer who is cheering me on. :lol:

I bet the designers on FH4 are furious at all of this negative feedback as I can pretty much guarantee these changes weren't their decision. This smacks of someone higher up making a decision based on wanting players to keep playing for longer without knowing much about the actual game or how people want to play it.

EDIT: I wonder if they have actually stopped to consider that there is potentially even more of an incentive to not continue playing if you miss some days of play? Think about it, once you have your 50% completion if you miss so much as a few days you may as well not bother to complete the rest because you get absolutely nothing for getting to 99%. :lol: So those players will just stop playing. There really should have been some leeway built in.
I think you're right on both points. I've been thinking the same thing about this playlist thing being co-opted by MS to force higher numbers of online players, probably against PG's wishes. But MS pays the bills, so what can PG do? Hopefully the backlash has been so fierce that they can push back against MS.

And I think you're right that a lot of people will see how onerous the conditions for winning these cars are, and either fail and get disgusted and stop playing, or just give up from the beginning because who needs this kind of stress in their life?

And just a heads up, a few people on Reddit reported that playing offline caused the game to undo previous Forzathon daily challenges, and it is impossible for them to get 100% on the playlist now. Just another reason why this new system is a terrible idea.

Holy 🤬! So you're telling me that while it's hard enough just to get everything, there's a chance that you could just lose everything too? I don't want to be mean but 🤬 that.

Well, that's certainly a cluster.

I do agree with AR12's proposal. The new content should be available at a lower percentage and a unique FE car should be available for 100%. Or if they didn't want to do an FE car, then something like a million credits or a 10,000,000 credit car from the Auto Show would work for a 100% prize.

Or you know, they could just go back to the way it was since there really wasn't anything wrong with it.

All of the challenges are fine but the dailys make it extreme if you don't play in the last 20 hours of the seasonal you won't get 100% no matter how much you did.

I completed the rally cross nonsense with my Corvette, a Corvette rally car build wasn't a bad idea though. Once again reminded on why I hate online team races, why are people on Forza so damn stupid? I'm sorry, but how do you not get the concept of a team race where we have to win as a TEAM? Instead, proceed to try ramming your teammates risking us the win. *facepalm*

However, after that; I think I might give up on getting the 914. It doesn't seem worth it if I have to win playground game events to get it. God, I hate those events. They're so damn DUMB, especially flag rush. Both times I played this in 2 different sessions, the other team cheated by camping at the flag. I had no room to leave, and they practically just laughed it up. It's worse than camping in a COD game, I sometimes wish you could ban people for behavior like this.

I was lucky with the playground the second attempt, I got put with a group of people who knew what they where doing and we won every event.

Back