Forza Horizon 4: General Pre-Release News & Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 1,945 comments
2ACE1524-A22B-4816-90DE-31D9875C26C0.png
0A8C0F50-FFAE-46EC-9508-C6980294220A.png

Notes from the latest livestream.

FH2's map was the best of the first 3 FH games so that's a good thing. ;)
Indeed! :) I like FH3's map too, but I do agree what others were saying. There were waaaaay too much off roading.

The roads in FH4 also don't look too wide either, which is a plus unlike in FH3.
I don't know about anyone else, but these streams are doing exactly what they're supposed to be doing, getting me even more hyped for the game.
Ohh yes it really is! :D

Indeed! :) I like FH3's map too, but I do agree what others were saying. There were waaaaay too much off roading.

The roads in FH4 also don't look too wide either, which is a plus unlike in FH3.
I mainly blame the big open Outback to make FH3's map less memorable. Just imagine that the rain forest and Surfers Paradise would be the same, but the outback would be replaced with a huge mountain complex with lots of verticality and switchback roads, it would make the map a lot more fun. But I understand and agree with the choice for then Outback, if you do a game on Australia you *have* to include the Outback.

I wonder if the track trails are just visual or they actually affect your car. Like if you follow them they kinda pull your car into them and it's harder to get out of them. Or if you cross them on a 90 degree angle it will be a bumpy ride. :)

The track trails are known to have some effect on the behaviour of the car, like the tyres sinking into the surface and you can cross over them at a lower speed at an angle. With that level of detail, I wouldn't be surprised if they were harder to get out of too.

Part of me just wants to see what happens if you take a really low supercar with a Liberty Walk Kit into the mud. :D

Not sold on #Fozathon Live. I'm sure It'll cool the first few times, but I imagine being annoyed when that timer pops up every hour on the hour. I predict they'll get stale quick. A potential 24 of these things a day sounds excessive.

I guess I'm in the minority but I found FH2's map to be a bit boring. It has its good parts, but I can't help but feel all those fields act as filler to show that you could actually go off-road.
This. 1 and 3 were considerably better imo. I think there's just more interesting roads in them.

Not sold on #Fozathon Live. I'm sure It'll cool the first few times, but I imagine being annoyed when that timer pops up every hour on the hour. I predict they'll get stale quick.

You could be right. I think it all also depends on the amount of Forzathon Points (FP?) you get and how much the cars will cost. One of the Playground guys said you might need to make a choice to buy a car a certain week or save up and hope your dream car will appear the week after.

There is room for concern though, I think there will be a big difference in points between the average Joe who focuses on roaming and singleplayer events and might do a few daily Forzathons and the weekly one per week, or the die hard gamer who does every weekly, every daily and 10+ hourly ones per week. Bringing all that in balance might not be easy. I don’t mind die die hard gamers getting more stuff sooner, as long as the slow gamers just get it all eventually as well.

The weekly refreshes of the Forzathon shop worry me as well, will people who go on holiday for 2 weeks get screwed again? Let’s hope things do rotate fast enough so that eventually you can get the cars you want maximum with a few months delay. I don’t want another FH3 or FM7 where I had to wait over half a year to have a second chance at a car I missed due to holidays.

Anyway, love the super mega wheel spin or whatever it’s called. And absolutely love the more grid-style of garage view instead of just the row of cars in FH2 and FH3. Also love difficulty settings controlling CR gained again, unlike FM7 where you are actually encouraged to use noob assist settings but a hard drivatar. I much rather play without assists and tone down the AI difficulty for a somewhat similar result in CR bonus. Ooh and using cockpit and dash camera should have a small bonus as well? Or disabling the HUD entirely. I miss how that was both missed in previous FH games.

If you haven’t tried it already, switch off all assists, switch off the HUD completely, and let Anna’s GPS voice guide you on your routes to waypoints in FH3. And use that for races as well, it’s so damn fun and should be rewarded a bit.

You could be right. I think it all also depends on the amount of Forzathon Points (FP?) you get and how much the cars will cost. One of the Playground guys said you might need to make a choice to buy a car a certain week or save up and hope your dream car will appear the week after.

There is room for concern though, I think there will be a big difference in points between the average Joe who focuses on roaming and singleplayer events and might do a few daily Forzathons and the weekly one per week, or the die hard gamer who does every weekly, every daily and 10+ hourly ones per week. Bringing all that in balance might not be easy. I don’t mind die die hard gamers getting more stuff sooner, as long as the slow gamers just get it all eventually as well.

The weekly refreshes of the Forzathon shop worry me as well, will people who go on holiday for 2 weeks get screwed again? Let’s hope things do rotate fast enough so that eventually you can get the cars you want maximum with a few months delay. I don’t want another FH3 or FM7 where I had to wait over half a year to have a second chance at a car I missed due to holidays.

Anyway, love the super mega wheel spin or whatever it’s called. And absolutely love the more grid-style of garage view instead of just the row of cars in FH2 and FH3. Also love difficulty settings controlling CR gained again, unlike FM7 where you are actually encouraged to use noob assist settings but a hard drivatar. I much rather play without assists and tone down the AI difficulty for a somewhat similar result in CR bonus. Ooh and using cockpit and dash camera should have a small bonus as well? Or disabling the HUD entirely. I miss how that was both missed in previous FH games.

If you haven’t tried it already, switch off all assists, switch off the HUD completely, and let Anna’s GPS voice guide you on your routes to waypoints in FH3. And use that for races as well, it’s so damn fun and should be rewarded a bit.
I've kept my knowledge on FH4 pretty sparse so I don't spoil myself so I don't know all the current details. Are you telling me there is a Forzathon shop? And cars are tied to it? Come on, we just got through this with FM7.

I've kept my knowledge on FH4 pretty sparse so I don't spoil myself so I don't know all the current details. Are you telling me there is a Forzathon shop? And cars are tied to it? Come on, we just got through this with FM7.

Given the adjustments made to FM7, I doubt Horizon 4 would go through the hassle of making some cars unobtainable from the Autoshow. If anything is to be made exclusive to the Forzathon Shop, it is probably vanity items.

Some positives. It seems you can start a solo race without ever leaving the session. It's QOL things like this, the pause options online, the ghosting that I love.

They said they wouldn't show any more showcases until the game releases but you can see a few on the map including the
Hovercraft, a Train, Motorbikes, and what appears to be a Pelican ship from Halo.

I love the idea of multiple large scale Goliath like tracks, From the looks of the icons the Gauntlet will be rally based and The Titan might be a Cross Country.

Airfield seems to have 2 runways in a T shape, one possibly being dirt (it has the red dirt road lines on the map).

I've been looking for the Uffington White Horse, but I don't see it on the map. Maybe I'm just overlooking it, or it could be in the central part of the map that wasn't shown.

I was hoping for longer freeways but not surprised it came out short. The mountain section in their live stream looked okay. I hope there will be more of it and longer mountain finished roads.

FH3 map looked okay on paper. But when actually driving around it just felt lacking IMO. Hope this is not the case for FH4. Any map should be better than the vanilla FH3.

Back