Forza Horizon 5 Rumors Suggest Mexico Location

I'm hoping @Populuxe Cowboy, @Racing_Miku and the others joins us on the hype train for FH5 as well. It's around the corner! Let's get this place rockin' tomorrow man! 👍

I've just commented in the article thread as I haven't had a chance to see the trailer yet as was doing my bus hobby but very likely I shall be along, I haven't decided if I am going to pre-order or wait until release but I shall defo be around the game at some point!

I've just commented in the article thread as I haven't had a chance to see the trailer yet as was doing my bus hobby but very likely I shall be along, I haven't decided if I am going to pre-order or wait until release but I shall defo be around the game at some point!
No worries bud, it's never a rush. 👍 There is going to be more gameplay tomorrow as well, where new stuff will be shared! :D

No worries bud, it's never a rush. 👍 There is going to be more gameplay tomorrow as well, where new stuff will be shared! :D

Will keep an eye out for that then, definitely lots of new games to look forward to in the last part of 2021 with Bus Simulator 2021, Sonic Colours being my other main 'two' at the moment.

The car handling in the first clip of the Defender looks really odd, almost animated.
Ah, oh well. Also pretty disappointing to see ray tracing will only feature in forzavista...surprised they couldn't at least get real time reflections on series X.

Yeah, the Defender handling is really off - it was the first thing i noticed too. The Lamborghini Huracan (when it goes to that painted wall on a building) and a bit after also leaves a bit to be desired too. Very similar to the handling in Forza 4. It's a fun (casual) game but these aspects kill the racing experience for me. Regarding raytracing i believe they left it off for the next instalment for the the new Forza engine (being developed for Forza Motosport 8). Horizon 5 seems to be using an improved version of the engine used in V4 and should be the last cross-generation Horizon (Xbox/Xbox X) thus the limitations (all speculation on my part).

they left it off for the next instalment for the the new Forza engine (being developed for Forza Motosport 8)

I think people expecting a completely new game engine for Forza Motorsport are going to be very disappointed. Or maybe not - the very idea seems to derive from a misunderstanding of what a game engine is.

It's far more likely that raytracing was left off simply because Horizon is going to feature much more complex and incredibly more vast environments, with a much higher number of cars on screen and a lot more visual effects going on. They can get "close enough" in gameplay with SSR, which wasn't applied to the cars in Horizon 5.

Now the question is: will the Photomode also use raytracing, or will it use whatever reflection technique is used in game?

Last edited:
I think people expecting a completely new game engine for Forza Motorsport are going to be very disappointed. Or maybe not - the very idea seems to derive from a misunderstanding of what a game engine is.

It's far more likely that raytracing was left off simply because Horizon is going to feature much more complex and incredibly more vast environments, with a much higher number of cars on screen and a lot more visual effects going on. They can get "close enough" in gameplay with SSR, which wasn't applied to the cars in Horizon 5.

Now the question is: will the Photomode also use raytracing, or will it use whatever reflection technique is used in game?

The fact that they specifically referred to ray tracing in Forzavista in the announcement, suggested to me that that is all that will have it and nothing else.

However, they will surely have left some surprises up their sleeve for later on, and photomode changes *could* be left to a separate announcement. I personally doubt it though.

Though I should imagine the difference won’t be as jarring as FH2’s downgrade. :lol:
The difference wont be remotely in the same ballpark really, as that was basically two separate games compared to this being one game with different settings more or less. FH4 is already a stunning game last gen, so I'm sure we can expect more or less the same for past gen. I'm just wondering what the compromises are.

The fact that they specifically referred to ray tracing in Forzavista in the announcement, suggested to me that that is all that will have it and nothing else.

However, they will surely have left some surprises up their sleeve for later on, and photomode changes *could* be left to a separate announcement. I personally doubt it though.

Heh. It's not like they have shown much love for forzatographers and livery artists in this kind of streams. We'll see - having a better implementation of SSR would be more than enough already, tbh.

Heh. It's not like they have shown much love for forzatographers and livery artists in this kind of streams. We'll see - having a better implementation of SSR would be more than enough already, tbh.
? They show their favorite photos in every Forza Monthly stream. They devote entire streams to interviews with livery artists.

? They show their favorite photos in every Forza Monthly stream. They devote entire streams to interviews with livery artists.

I know, but they never tell us much about how the Photomode or livery editor is going to work in the first streams about a new game. That usually comes in the weeks before the launch.

Probably because "They will work the exact same as they have for the last 10+ years" isn't exactly a buzzworthy feature.

Photomode might be completely the same as FH4, but at least the livery editors UI is getting a redo.

We’ve also completely overhauled the user interface for systems like tuning and painting to improve usability and efficiency.

Probably because "They will work the exact same as they have for the last 10+ years" isn't exactly a buzzworthy feature.
Correct answer is correct.

Photomode might be completely the same as FH4, but at least the livery editors UI is getting a redo.
True, and I’m definitely looking forward to learning more, but PG have a lot to reveal in the new game over the next five months. They’ll get to this eventually.

Last edited:

True. This time the livery editor is apparently getting a vast rework, so hopefully they will at least give us some info before the usual.

True. This time the livery editor is apparently getting a vast rework, so hopefully they will at least give us some info before the usual.
They could do so much to improve liveries and I'm not talking about the ability to import rude pics from the internet. Rather, getting rid of the jaggies would be so nice. They can do it with their own paintjobs, why not the community's?

Last edited:
They could do so much to improve liveries and I'm not talking about the ability to import rude pics from the internet. Rather, getting rid of the jaggies would be so nice. They can do it with their own paintjobs, why not the community's?

I know, right? What's annoying is that Motorsport doesn't seem to have the same problem - if you are playing on a 4k-capable platform, whatever texture channel they use for custom liveries is in 4k.

Hopefully that will be fixed on Horizon 5.

I know, right? What's annoying is that Motorsport doesn't seem to have the same problem - if you are playing on a 4k-capable platform, whatever texture channel they use for custom liveries is in 4k.

Hopefully that will be fixed on Horizon 5.

I suspect that the Horizon games are a lot more demanding on the GPU than the Motorsport games, which is why we get 30fps instead of 60. On the plus side, the lighting is miles better than Motorsports.

I suspect that the Horizon games are a lot more demanding on the GPU than the Motorsport games, which is why we get 30fps instead of 60. On the plus side, the lighting is miles better than Motorsports.
Also with the addition of dynamic weather and time with a much larger, busier, world.

They certainly are, and it's no wonder why - 3 to 4 times the maximum number of cars on screen, much larger and more diverse environments with higher draw distances, highly-demanding GFX Motorsport can simply do without, dynamic TOD and weather, etc. I am not surprised the game ships with a 4k 30 FPS mode on the Series X, although it's noteworthy that the game will also have a 4k 60 FPS "performance" mode with unknown graphics compromises (shorter draw distance, perhaps?).

That being said, there is literally no excuse for why liveries load on a low-res channel instead of a 4k one. Having custom paintjobs display with the same clarity as in FM7 (a game that came out five years ago!) would ultimately add little strain to the GPU.

P.S. I think it's a bit unfair to compare Motorsport's lighting with Horizon, considering that the last iteration of the latter came out a year later and got better multi-platform implementation and a next-gen upgrade on top of that. The Motorsport not-8 and Horizon 5 trailers show equal levels of utterly insane graphics fidelity.

Back