Forza Monthly to Reveal First Forza Motorsport Gameplay & Donut Media Content for Horizon 5

• Thread starter Famine
  • 86 comments
Apparently Forza Motorsport 2023 will have a penalty system in Single Player as well. I don't mind it but with my Dad who makes mistakes often, I hope these won't be too harsh.

So instead of implementing an actual qualifying session where you can put all that work into tuning to use and actually be rewarded for it, they just said "eh, go ahead and pick wherever you want to start, we'll just take money away if you don't feel like bulldozing through the pack of idiot AI cars like in every other game".

GOOw.gif

Seriously, why are modern racing games so scared of including something that's an intregal part of actual motorsports?

Maybe we won’t be able to bulldoze through AI in this particular Game. Can’t bulldoze through AI in Project Cars with the increased AI aggression. I mean, turn off damage and it’s possible to bulldoze, but AI speed in that game are pretty fast. If Forza have challenging AI, it might not be so easy to bulldoze up the front.

So instead of implementing an actual qualifying session where you can put all that work into tuning to use and actually be rewarded for it, they just said "eh, go ahead and pick wherever you want to start, we'll just take money away if you don't feel like bulldozing through the pack of idiot AI cars like in every other game".

GOOw.gif

Seriously, why are modern racing games so scared of including something that's an intregal part of actual motorsports?
Because casual players don't care about racing.

Last edited:
You can care about racing but not want to deal with qualifying before every race. At least, this game and past Forza titles are not built around long races that would benefit from qualifying. 3-4 lap races are not really worth qualifying for.

I definitely think qualifying makes more sense and should be introduced for the longer endurance races.

Last edited:
Eh, fair enough point. But I would at least like to have the option to succeed on my own merit rather than being told "ehh, just make a guess where you think you'll be competitive." Hell, even just having your best free practice time be a suggestion as to where you should place yourself on the grid would've done it.

Eh, fair enough point. But I would at least like to have the option to succeed on my own merit rather than being told "ehh, just make a guess where you think you'll be competitive." Hell, even just having your best free practice time be a suggestion as to where you should place yourself on the grid would've done it.
my experience with Forza AI is that you know roughly how fast you are against them after a few races.

Previously (FM1-7) you'd start mid pack and have to set the AI so that you could win in 3-5 laps.
Now FM(8) you can set the AI to very quick and start near the front, or slower and start mid pack. And you can decide on the grid after checking out your car speed in practice.

Don't forget that Forza career mode is about podiums, unlike a PC sim where single player is only really about perfecting your laptimes with no negatives for coming in low down in the order. So it's important to do well in Forza career mode unlike most race sims.

Last edited:
my experience with Forza AI is that you know roughly how fast you are against them after a few races.

Previously (FM1-7) you'd start mid pack and have to set the AI so that you could win in 3-5 laps.
Now FM(8) you can set the AI to very quick and start near the front, or slower and start mid pack. And you can decide on the grid after checking out your car speed in practice.

Don't forget that Forza career mode is about podiums, unlike a PC sim where single player is only really about perfecting your laptimes with no negatives for coming in low down in the order. So it's important to do well in Forza career mode unlike most race sims.
I sometimes do that in PC2, set the AI at 120 then start at the front, believe me it's a different kind of pressure when you have 31 nutters trying to pass you, 1 mistake & you'll find yourself last. Good challenge though, just keep the aggression low or they'll just bash you out of the way.

Last edited:

GOOw.gif

Personally, I find qualifying against AI completely pointless most of the time. There's really just two ways it goes:
a) the AI quali pace is representative of their in-race pace which for most games means you will start on pole
b) they just assign arbitrary times depending on where they want you to start from

On Grid Autosport for example after doing quali for most events I just started skipping it and didn't feel like anything was missing from the game honestly. Maybe with something like an hypothetical GT Sophy that's able to simulate more than alien-level drivers it would be fun but with the AI of most games, easily pass on it.

Career is set up in an interesting manner. The format, event designs, and the fact its going to have new events for all post-launch cars & tracks, really gives me Driveclub vibes with the way it set up its DLC expansions.
jpg_DRIVECLUB_TM__20150315151916.jpg

On the fence for levelling cars. On one hand it'll give people like me something to do for years, trying to max out every single car. But at the same time, I don't think online players will appreciate it. Many just want to start online from the get-go. Now they need to put a few hours into career first to get all upgrades for the cars they desire, which would be a downgrade from their POV.

GT7 physics is perfect.
It's your personal opinion, but Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series' handling model still remains simcade though and they're still not that realistic compared to iRacing, RENNSPORT, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Le Mans Ultimate, rFactor 2 & Automobilista 2.

It's your personal opinion, but Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport series' handling model still remains simcade though and they're still not that realistic compared to iRacing, RENNSPORT, Assetto Corsa Competizione, Le Mans Ultimate, rFactor 2 & Automobilista 2.
ACC didn’t feel like a big improvement in physics realism from GT7 in the few hours I tried it out.

See, this is why I have trust issues.

"Live from the Petersen Automotive Museum"... but green screened.
It was a very convincing green screen or virtual production if that's the case. I was trying to find the "seams" but couldn't see any.

I think it was moreso that the edge lighting and heavy depth of field on the single person shots was creating a strong separation between foreground and background, which gave off the illusion of green screen.

They wouldn't (in my opinion) have flown Leah out from the UK just to have a virtual set.

It was a very convincing green screen or virtual production if that's the case. I was trying to find the "seams" but couldn't see any.

I think it was moreso that the edge lighting and heavy depth of field on the single person shots was creating a strong separation between foreground and background, which gave off the illusion of green screen.

They wouldn't (in my opinion) have flown Leah out from the UK just to have a virtual set.
it was definitely pre recorded but not green screened. IIRC some of the PGG team were also flown there for a let's go livestream for the reveal of the HW expansion for FH5.

I'm not 100% sure it's (fully) pre-recorded either since they announced the stream giveaway winner at the end.

I think it was maybe the camera/lighting was putting the scene into uncanny valley. Didn't get in the way of the content though.

Last edited:
I'm not 100% sure it's (fully) pre-recorded either since they announced the stream giveaway winner at the end.

I think it was maybe the camera/lighting was putting the scene into uncanny valley. Didn't get in the way of the content though.
Good point, I forgot about the giveaway.

There was also stuff going on in the background at times. People walking around, mostly. That would require them to set the camera there, record nothing for a while, then set up a very convincing green screen, still get these two in the same room... the amount of effort it would take is far more than just setting up a table and a couple chairs in the museum for them to do it live. No reason to green screen it.

"remastered audio" at 4:16 might concern some expecting it to be built from the ground up, as it suggests this game uses the same sounds recorded for previous games but with different effects/eq processing.

If there was anything wrong with previous game sound anyway, otherwise it could still be made sound quite radically different, and there might not be much point recording the same thing again. A bit like a remastered film or a remastered album it generally just improves the original.

"remastered audio" at 4:16 might concern some expecting it to be built from the ground up, as it suggests this game uses the same sounds recorded for previous games but with different effects/eq processing.

If there was anything wrong with previous game sound anyway, otherwise it could still be made sound quite radically different, and there might not be much point recording the same thing again. A bit like a remastered film or a remastered album it generally just improves the original.
I'm pretty sure it's redone in the same way as FH5's audio. Sounds like it, and it would be strange to not do it that way after how well received it was in FH5.

FM7 was generally considered to have pretty bad car audio, so I don't think they're wanting to go back to that system or those recordings.

Previously they recorded one engine note around every 1,000 rpm step and just pitch shifted to fill the gaps. The newer system uses a much fuller range of recording, from idle to the limit. They also seemingly just hired people who were better at their jobs in the audio department to bring out the full sound where FM7 and FH4 sounded flat. I'm not too good with technical terms, sorry.

FH5 also brought audible car upgrades (took long enough) which is also confirmed to be coming to FM. Hopefully this is expanded further, as in FH5 the changes are mostly limited to intake and exhaust (and turbo/supercharger, but that's always been there).

Latest Posts

Back