Forza Monthly to Reveal First Forza Motorsport Gameplay & Donut Media Content for Horizon 5

• Thread starter Famine
  • 86 comments
Yeah, so no more buying a crap car, modding the hell out of it and hooning around, unless you spend hours finishing 4th in repetetive races to get enough CXP to unlock the ability to spend CC on a non descript turbo upgrade? Forza Horizon genuinley has a better upgrade system than Motorsport now... I'd love to be proven wrong, but at the moment, what are Turn 10 thinking?
What's really sad to me is I was intrigued by everything else and liking the sound of things, and then they hit us with that. Maybe it won't be as grindy as I'm worried it will be?

What's really sad to me is I was intrigued by everything else and liking the sound of things, and then they hit us with that. Maybe it won't be as grindy as I'm worried it will be?
It was grindy when you were required to homologate or hit a PI target in each race. But if the game just has the AI meet your PI (as in Forza Horizon) then upgrades are optional.

Hmmm... And now they state that the career mode gives you gradually rising PI targets per race. That will almost force the use of a gradually levelling car over the series. I hope this is a maximum (like in FH) but the AI will meet your PI no matter whether you upgrade to the target or not.

Last edited:
"There's a lot of new here" is the new "built from the ground up".

How many Forza cars will you actually tune?

Personally I love driving cars in Forza Horizon stock and just having the AI match my PI. And then I tune a few cars for specific reasons (usually trial races or seasonal challenges where I need to meet a specific PI). So for me this system is fine, since I can happily play all the cars as stock and gradually find my desired upgrade cars.
I kinda hated that about Forza Horizon after a while. I remember on FM3/4 being able to tune a car to see how it races against better supercars but when you have an awesome car in Horizon, it would throw some dirty Focus with the same PI to match no matter what you do.

It was grindy when you were required to homologate or hit a PI target in each race. But if the game just has the AI meet your PI (as in Forza Horizon) then upgrades are optional.
That makes upgrades pointless? I honestly can't see that as a good thing for me or at least make the type of matching optional. I'm not saying to not have that type of racing but I'd rather tune a car to race against higher PI cars by their natural performance.

I've always found that tuning in Forza makes cars feel more similar compared to driving them all at stock.

But there are plenty of reasons to upgrade (be it preference, for a specific race goal, for online, etc...). But my point was that if the game doesn't force you to upgrade then you can choose, which is great for everyone.
In FH4/FH5 you can upgrade cars to be whatever PI you like, and the AI will match you, however except street racing the AI will stick to the same basic class as you so you won't get Focus against supercars in most races.

Driving a truck in C class or in S class feels very different and the AI changes wildly too. The ability to do this is just really fun for me. As compared to FM7 where that truck could only race the AI at a specific homologation PI. That was boring in comparison.

Hmm, "no cheats, hacks, or rubber-banding" on the AI, physics so real people are "using the game to fine-tune their tyre pressures and spring rates on their real race cars"...

Biff Tannen GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

He just made it sound like DLC tracks will be added as part of new single player race series, potentially with new unique car prizes.

That would be a really cool way to add new cars to the game.

This presentation was more than I expected (I thought it would be a 5 minute live gameplay with maybe 10 minutes elaborating on it), good job from Turn 10.

Just having Chris answer questions for 40 minutes was a simple yet effective way of doling out info and getting into the detail.

I hope they do similar for multiplayer, I’m guessing at August’s Forza Monthly.

Last edited:
This presentation was more than I expected, good job from Turn 10.

Just having Chris answer questions for 40 minutes was a simple yet effective way of doling out info and getting into the detail.

I hope they do similar for multiplayer, I’m guessing at August’s Forza Monthly.
The longest Q&A session I have seen from a Forza game before. Also going into detail with questions that didn’t seem to have been communicated beforehand

So, you don't want to play the game? Of course it's a way to spend more time playing the game, isn't that why we play games?
I might be in the minority here, but having to spend 3-4 hours leveling each car just to build them the way I want doesn't sound that great. I love progression quite a bit, but this isn't it for me. Maybe won't be as grindy as it sounds.

I might be in the minority here, but having to spend 3-4 hours leveling each car just to build them the way I want doesn't sound that great. I love progression quite a bit, but this isn't it for me. Maybe won't be as grindy as it sounds.
Devs have a habit of underestimating the community, 3-4 hours may be a pretty casual timeframe. If it's actively adding XP per corner, then maybe a lap of the Nordschleife or doing a short series in a car will get there? We'll see of course.

If you need to spend 3 hours to make a car useful that would be awful.
If you can do 1-2 laps in a car and get enough upgrades to use it normally (with a little compromise) then it's probably going to be fine - you can try the car before upgrading it and maybe change your mind and pick another one after your first lap.

I've always found that tuning in Forza makes cars feel more similar compared to driving them all at stock.

But there are plenty of reasons to upgrade (be it preference, for a specific race goal, for online, etc...). But my point was that if the game doesn't force you to upgrade then you can choose, which is great for everyone.
In FH4/FH5 you can upgrade cars to be whatever PI you like, and the AI will match you, however except street racing the AI will stick to the same basic class as you so you won't get Focus against supercars in most races.

Driving a truck in C class or in S class feels very different and the AI changes wildly too. The ability to do this is just really fun for me. As compared to FM7 where that truck could only race the AI at a specific homologation PI. That was boring in comparison.
Oh yea not needing to be forced to upgrade is great, however I remember being in all sorts of cars and still seeing the same mid range cars but with matching PI - especially that focus.

Going into a race with a random PI of your car and the AI matching that PI level will be great for the racing. But I don't want to be discouraged by making say, a 370z be faster via changing the tyres and aero, to only find the same cars on the grid with more 'balanced' PI. I have to see via game pass later this year.

Hmm, "no cheats, hacks, or rubber-banding" on the AI, physics so real people are "using the game to fine-tune their tyre pressures and spring rates on their real race cars"...

Biff Tannen GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy
He made some bold statements about the physics. As good as, if not better, than any other sim out there basically.

On the talk about the car levelling for parts (per car??) - Isn't that making the upgrades pointlessly restrictive?

If I'm one week/month/year into the game and want to go and mess about with something like an old Golf but make it like a rust bucket silly tune drag car, I have to get xp on it first? Or did I miss something?

The always online stuff for progression is rightfully gonna piss people off, HOW ON EARTH do these studios not learn from when this nonsense was done in the past such as when NFS 2015 did it and GT currently? :banghead:

Last edited:
The always online stuff for progression is rightfully gonna piss people off, HOW ON EARTH do these studios not learn from when this nonsense was done in the past such as when NFS 2015 did it and GT currently? :banghead:
They know exactly what they’re doing.

A progression being locked to online connection reduces the potential for cheating to occur.

Any game where multiplayer and single player inventories are shared will consider this if they want to maintain a fair playing field online.

The alternative is to completely decouple progression across both modes, which comes with its own challenges.

So, you don't want to play the game? Of course it's a way to spend more time playing the game, isn't that why we play games?
We play games to unwind for a couple hours after getting home from work and real life. Not to become slaves to them like its a second job like all these live service models are forcing us to do.

Last edited:
Back