Forza Motorsport’s Car Upgrades Changed After Fan Complaints

• Thread starter Famine
  • 69 comments
Right on cue... :lol:

It still takes 2 hours to level up a car.

Also, if you're like me and use the "auto" for the parts, don't forget to reset your car to stock and then redo the auto as it will now give you a different build.

Poor old Famine probably has to rush out a news post now... are you on holiday like you normally are when those GT7 updates release? 😂

Last edited:
That's good news. But 2 hours is not accurate. It takes one lap to do 1.5 levels on lemans and a a lap can be upwards of 11 mins on a regular car.
with this update .
In an hour you will level 9-10 levels. .
With this update the full level up goes from 4-5 hours to 2 hours. Seems fail but credits seem like a smarter idea.

I have been really enjoying the system how it was.

That's good news. But 2 hours is not accurate. It takes one lap to do 1.5 levels on lemans and a a lap can be upwards of 11 mins on a regular car.
with this update .
With this update the full level up goes from 4-5 hours to 2 hours. Seems fail but credits seem like a smarter idea.

LeMans is one of the worse tracks to level up at; terrible example.

It took way too long to get to 50 so I’m happiest with an adjustment. I’d be really annoyed if they scrapped the whole system altogether because there’s a a very nice balance going on when you can earn car points for parts and credits for more cars simultaneously.

It takes one lap to do 1.5 levels on lemans and a a lap can be upwards of 11 mins on a regular car.
Excuse Me Wow GIF by Mashable

If you're driving a horse-drawn carriage, maybe.

with this update .
11 minutes to do an ~8.4 mile lap??? That’s averaging under 47 mph on a track famous for having the longest straightaways in the world.

Are you driving an MGA with a power limiter?

Still a dumb system imo. They really should have just kept all upgrade parts purchasable right off the bat.

Just kinda stinks how both FM and GT7 ended up having dumb career progression.
Because they’re GaaS that launch low on content, built to trickle out updates over years, and have mechanics that only exist to make players grind out play time.

They’re never going back to the classic campaigns or progression.

That both FM and GT7 did not completely delete their basic idea but simply adapt something is also understandable. On the one hand, this will not be easy to do and on the other hand, I think they decided to do it because they found it cool, interesting or whatever.

Personally, this part of the game has never bothered me. neither in FM nor in GT7. In FM it's mainly the AI which triggers frustration and anger in me, where as many small UX decisions.... And the incomprehensible decision to make Singelplayer events time limited!

GT7 on the other hand could use a little more events, especially since these are not particularly difficult to create (at least it makes the appearance) and from me there could be a little more money per race ... so that the 20'000'000 cars are not so infinitely far. (Unless you have the patience to grind)

How many hours to level up a car so that I can put a Wide Body, Spoiler, Bumper and take one photo?

I am glad I rinsed the Credits glitch though, apparently it has been nerfed.

Because they’re GaaS that launch low on content, built to trickle out updates over years, and have mechanics that only exist to make players grind out play time.

They’re never going back to the classic campaigns or progression.

What? Forza Motorsport is not a GaaS title. Apart from the way levelling your car works it's pretty similar to Forza Motorsport 7, just with less tracks. You're trying to redefine what GaaS is by the sound of it, so a reminder.

GaaS would be something like Fortnite, or the ill-fated Avengers game from Square Enix.

Last edited:
The change is absolutely pointless, because the limiter was car points not upgrade availability, and that's now just even more the case.

I'm currently levelling up a car to be able to apply a tune from a leaderboard that needs level 12 to make the parts available, but it also needs 4975 car points. At level 13 I have 1950 car points.

The time for me to get to 50 was fast anyway. Now it's even faster. Works for me!
As far as I can tell, the time it takes to gain a level hasn't changed, nor has the relationship between levels and car points, so it takes the same amount of time to get to level 50 as before, and most decent tunes were limited by car points previously, still are now, and it therefore takes exactly the same amount of time driving a car to be able to apply a particular tune as it did before the update.

As far as I can tell, the time it takes to gain a level hasn't changed, nor has the relationship between levels and car points, so it takes the same amount of time to get to level 50 as before, and most decent tunes were limited by car points previously, still are now, and it therefore takes exactly the same amount of time driving a car to be able to apply a particular tune as it did before the update.
The biggest issue wan't the "level 50" though. The biggest issue was unlocking upgrades taking too long. Now the upgrades unlock earlier, and so long as you do the practice laps and races, and you have your difficulty level set at default or higher, CarXP comes quickly as well. This means you can also hold on to your XP and not spend it until you unlock the items you really wanted now. The AI is still going to match your PI, so you don't miss out on anything by not upgrading to useless parts.

I am not concerned with level 50. I was more concerned about waiting until later levels to unlock parts that should have been unlocked sooner.

The biggest issue was unlocking upgrades taking too long.
It wasn't, the biggest problem for any decent tune was the lack of car points. It still takes the exact same amount of driving time as before to get to the level needed to apply any decent tune, e.g. the tune (from high up on a rivals leaderboard) I've just become able to apply to my '08 Viper, which only needed level 12 to unlock the upgrades, but needed 4975 car points, which needs somewhere around level 30.

Ok, we will agree to disagree.
Just look at tunes from top 10 positions on leaderboards. Race cars won't be too bad, but for road cars, which is all we can use in the career at the moment, even in "open" events, car points are usually going to be the limiter. If you try making a tune yourself to match a top 10 ghost in rivals, you'll soon see why this is the case.

Just look at tunes from top 10 positions on leaderboards. Race cars won't be too bad, but for road cars, which is all we can use in the career at the moment, even in "open" events, car points are usually going to be the limiter. If you try making a tune yourself to match a top 10 ghost in rivals, you'll soon see why this is the case.
Ok, we will agree to disagree.

At first I didn't like having to wait, especially for race tires, but then I realized that bonding with the car and taking your time before you got the good stuff is really how racing works.

I understand the need for some to have everything available right away and that's cool for them. I don't begrudge anybody getting enjoyment from a game their own way.

I don't work as many hours as my son-in-law and I'm much older and pretty established in my career so I have more time off than the average person so for me the system works fine but for him this change has been great because he doesn't have as much time to play as I do.

People can criticize all they want but if you understand racing, not video game racing but real life racing, you realize how expensive it is and how, unless you are rich, you upgrade your vehicle slowly over time.

There are plenty things I don't love about this game but I do like this system.

On a side note, in GT7 all you needed was money, not time and miles driven with a car, to upgrade it any way you wanted. Consequently, I grinded for money and then maxed out some vehicles and the races were boring because the AI cars were not also maxed out.

I liked the system the way it was and I also like it the way it is now that they've made the change.

Last edited:
A step in the right direction I suppose, but they should just abandon it. Extremely off putting when I bought my first car and remembered I can't do anything to it. At least let me do visual stuff right off the bat! I'm not sure which I dislike more, this tuning system or the career mode.

At first I didn't like having to wait, especially for race tires, but then I realized that bonding with the car and taking your time before you got the good stuff is really how racing works.
The bonding with your car thing is a great idea but seeing as after 5 races you're forced into another car it semeed to completely miss the point?

early GT games are where you really bonded with cars because you could use your starter car throughout many different series and upgrade along the way, it was so beautifully simple, but PD and T10 just can't understand this with their newest entries I guess

I don't begrudge anybody getting enjoyment from a game their own way.
This is why I suggested making the system optional, like the transfer of cars from TC2 to TCM. If people like levelling up cars, they can opt into that system. If people want to be doing something else in the game instead, they don't opt into it and can get on with playing the other aspects of the game.

Good step, now all they have to do next is actually remove it, or at the very least vastly lower the cost for CP needed to buy the parts.

with this update .
You don't have the game nor have you played it, what are you basing this off of? Also why would you pick one of the longest tracks with the fewest turns to try to push an idea? Without this update, I was at about Level 10+~ within an hour to an hour and a half, and that was while wasting time sifting through menus. What about you, what was your progression?

Last edited:
with this update .
What is your gamertag?

Back