Forza Motorsport 3

• Thread starter RedOak
  • 3,944 comments
It better be that you only need one disc to play, the other loads up extra info and saves it to a hard drive.

Curious how this whole 2 disc thing will work. It'd be a pain in the a$$ if I have to change disc every time I go into a multiplayer room that uses a different set of cars.

I won't be surprised if specific modes, like multiplayer, will be on a seperate disc.

I hope they add cockpit views as well. They've had the time to model them.

G.T
I won't be surprised if specific modes, like multiplayer, will be on a seperate disc.

I hope they add cockpit views as well. They've had the time to model them.

So single player on 1 disc, multiplayer on another disc? I guess that would save some space. You wouldn't need the single player menus and career progress on the multiplayer disc, and maybe no AI coding on the multiplayer part? Who knows..

I just hope they implement the whole 2 disc thing properly. 💡

I'm pretty sure that's what they'll do... or split the game in difficulty like GT2 with Arcade on one disc and "simulation" on the other.

Single player / Multiplayer seems the most logical assumption tho.

100 tracks = 15 tracks with 2-3 configurations + reverse, so lets not get ahead of ourselves with this... and they'll probably be the same as before. Also, i'm convinced that's why they nuked the last DLC... they're moving it up for FM3 instead. ehe

I'm pretty sure that's what they'll do... or split the game in difficulty like GT2 with Arcade on one disc and "simulation" on the other.

Single player / Multiplayer seems the most logical assumption tho.

100 tracks = 15 tracks with 2-3 configurations + reverse, so lets not get ahead of ourselves with this... and they'll probably be the same as before. Also, i'm convinced that's why they nuked the last DLC... they're moving it up for FM3 instead. ehe

Current list of real-word tracks (in forza2):

Road America
Road Atlanta
Sebring
Mugello
Motegi
Laguna Seca
Nordschleife
Silverstone
Suzuka
Tsukuba

So let's say we have all of that, plus these:

Spa-Francorchamps
Monza
Le Mans + Bugatti infield circuit
Nurburgring F1 circuit
Mosport

That'd be really nice. Obviously, they won't put those exact tracks in the game (the 5 that I want). Or maybe they will :dopey:.

Anyway, so they need a bunch of more real world tracks on top of the current ones (so let's say either 3 or 4 more real world tracks, of course the more, the merrier :) ).

Then a couple more race cars, like a Jaguar XJR9, maybe a Sauber C9, a Mazda 787B, how about a GT2 Panoz Esperante (or is that already in there, don't remember), a few more liveries for GT2 F430, maybe a bunch of LMP2 cars would be nice too, can't think of anything right now, oh right an Aston Martin DBR9 💡 would be great.

Ok, so you got a bunch of more tracks and a bunch of more cars. On top of that, Forza 3 should have all of these:

- more people in online room (minimum 12)
- aero/body damage repair at pit stops
- options to pick during pit stop
- qualifying
- yellow flags, blue flags, maybe a safety car (that'd be nice!)
- bit better graphics I suppose, but really I just want the 12+ cars online, they can leave the graphics the same, optimize it to get 16 cars on the field or something like that, maybe add some detail to the tracks

I'd push for 16 cars online to compete with GT5/GRID that's for sure...

As for what i'd like to have...

Real Tire Wear
Real Fuel consumptions
Real Pit strategies
The Ability to set the number of laps (not a predefined 5-10-25-50 ****)
Qualifications
Team/Clan support (through sponsors, team identifications)
Car Number stamps (over liveries)
Weather Conditions
Day/Night times (not necessarily in real time)

:)

I'd push for 16 cars online to compete with GT5/GRID that's for sure...

As for what i'd like to have...

Real Tire Wear
Real Fuel consumptions
Real Pit strategies
Qualifications
Weather Conditions

:)

I thought GRID has only 12 cars. As I said, the more, the merrier :). But I do want at least 12.

Real Tire Wear
- what do you mean by this? from the endurace races I've had, it already has real tire wear?

real fuel consumption
- yes good idea. I think what you mean is like more "numerical" fuel measurement so you can have an idea of what's going on (like LFS)

pit strategies
- the game already has pit strategies in many ways. When we run race cars (R4 to R1) in 25 lap races, if you running a lot of downforce or full downforce, you use up your tyres more. On some tracks, you might get away with 1 stop if running low downforce and not locking up often, but need 2 stops if you run full or near full downforce. I think what you mean is more options during pit (like choose which tyres to change, or whether or not you want tyres at all).

- great idea, easy to implement

Qualifications
- agreed

- game already has this basically, see my next point

- already has this, see final point

Weather Conditions
- would like this too, but the # of people online and more tracks is more important to be fair

- same as above

The team/car number thing is already there. The livery editor lets you do all of that. In the league I run for touring car, everyone must have a certain logo "OMC Touring Car" on the car. You can get this by gifting the car to one of the couple talented livery editor people, and they'll gift it back with the logo on it. Everyone also races liverys. Some example pictures:

Sebring-touring2.jpg

Sebring2.jpg

This is just touring car. There's also a Historic Trans-Am, Modern Trans-Am, Speed GT (R4) and SPEC race hosted by the league. If you interested in running one of these, I recommend heading on over to simracinghd.com. I don't run the website/league, someone else does called Simracinghd. There's different teams, privateers, all of that. Obviously, in the game itself you don't show up as a "different" team, but you are running your team's livery. For all purposes though, it works out, because we got our own credits and results on the website.

Real Tire Wear
- what do you mean by this? from the endurace races I've had, it already has real tire wear?

Basically, the tire wear was based on time rather then actual usage... doing 20 mins of "donuts" would not create more tire wear... in other words, there was no reason to drive more "conservatively" and be less aggressive with breaking and turning since tirewear didn't really exist.

real fuel consumption
- yes good idea. I think what you mean is like more "numerical" fuel measurement so you can have an idea of what's going on (like LFS)

Yeah that's what i mean... like Tire wear... the fuel consumption was pretty much based on time rather then actual consumption... burning the clutch, reving the engine and pushing the car more didn't seem to change the fuel consumption at all...

pit strategies
- the game already has pit strategies in many ways. When we run race cars (R4 to R1) in 25 lap races, if you running a lot of downforce or full downforce, you use up your tyres more. On some tracks, you might get away with 1 stop if running low downforce and not locking up often, but need 2 stops if you run full or near full downforce. I think what you mean is more options during pit (like choose which tyres to change, or whether or not you want tyres at all).

That's interesting... I've done a lot of "private" race series 25/50 laps in R1-2-3) and we never really saw a difference... cars would always run out of gas about at the same time (some drivers would be more conservative then others)... but ultimately, there was never a real strategy to "make 2 pit stops" instead of 3"... odd.

- game already has this basically, see my next point

- already has this, see final point

Yeah its supported, but having the game do it automatically makes it more official and less "everyone does it the way they want to. Although i agree that its not something that's required to be supported.

Apparently while I was listening to Radio Le Mans, at the weekend while the race was on, that there were some guys from Turn 10 at the Le Mans circuit. Whether they were there to enjoy the race, collect data and such, or if they were there at all will be made clear in the future I'm sure ;)

Basically, the tire wear was based on time rather then actual usage... doing 20 mins of "donuts" would not create more tire wear... in other words, there was no reason to drive more "conservatively" and be less aggressive with breaking and turning since tirewear didn't really exist.

Yeah that's what i mean... like Tire wear... the fuel consumption was pretty much based on time rather then actual consumption... burning the clutch, reving the engine and pushing the car more didn't seem to change the fuel consumption at all...

That's interesting... I've done a lot of "private" race series 25/50 laps in R1-2-3) and we never really saw a difference... cars would always run out of gas about at the same time (some drivers would be more conservative then others)... but ultimately, there was never a real strategy to "make 2 pit stops" instead of 3"... odd.

Yeah its supported, but having the game do it automatically makes it more official and less "everyone does it the way they want to. Although i agree that its not something that's required to be supported.

Someone from the league i run said the number of times you lock up and how conservative you drive does affect tire wear. This might have to do with which mode you are running the game under, free lap, test drive in career, online multiplayer, etc. I recall when I ran a R2 car (Maserati) and I wore the tyres out and had to do 2 stops whereas the other people were on 1 stoppers (minimum downforce), I was on full downforce because I felt the car was unsteady. On my 2nd stint, I was more conservative on tyres and I lasted 1 extra lap on tyres vs 1st stint, but that was about it. Downforce seems to make a much bigger difference on how you pit. There's definetely strategy there. If you can get away with low DF so that you can still control the car and put down good laptimes, might have a 1 stopper on some tracks with 25 laps. With really high DF, you'll need 2 stops, on some tracks like Road America, maybe even 3..

For gas, comparable cars do seem to run out about the same time, that's right. we usually run out of tyres first tho.

Someone from the league i run said the number of times you lock up and how conservative you drive does affect tire wear. This might have to do with which mode you are running the game under, free lap, test drive in career, online multiplayer, etc. I recall when I ran a R2 car (Maserati) and I wore the tyres out and had to do 2 stops whereas the other people were on 1 stoppers (minimum downforce), I was on full downforce because I felt the car was unsteady. On my 2nd stint, I was more conservative on tyres and I lasted 1 extra lap on tyres vs 1st stint, but that was about it. Downforce seems to make a much bigger difference on how you pit. There's definetely strategy there. If you can get away with low DF so that you can still control the car and put down good laptimes, might have a 1 stopper on some tracks with 25 laps. With really high DF, you'll need 2 stops, on some tracks like Road America, maybe even 3..

For gas, comparable cars do seem to run out about the same time, that's right. we usually run out of tyres first tho.

Yeah Tires go first anyways, so you pit anywyas.. although that brings me back to my original "Pit strategy" comment...

what i meant was to have the ability to choose what happens in the pits... put fuel (how much), change tires (yes/no/which), perform repais (X,Y,Z...) and so on... GT does that pretty well, although there is definitely room for improvement.

However, about the tire wear... i'd always took noticed of it in multiplayer races, with friends... usually 8/8 players over 25 or 50 laps. we'd always pit about at the same time even with completely different cars. Strange...

anyhow, there is definitely something "missing" about tire wear i would say heeh

Yes I agree about pit options. I'd like the option to not fill up on gas, maybe take "hard compound" tyres? That'd be cool, and surely cannot be too hard to implement (have a GUI selection menu, and ability to change "car properties" during race per se). I hope Turn10 is listening. :bowdown:

As for the tyre thing, there is def. something going on. Last night I was on a 1 stopper on a 25 lap (yellow tyres mid-way lap11, orange tyres on lap13) in one of the R4 Corvettes, whereas someone else in an R4 Porsche did 2 stoppers. By implementing a hard and soft compound, there could be more variation of this strategy. I'm not sure if which type of tyre you select has any difference (Yokohama, Continental, Bridgestone, etc., some say they have longer life than others).

2 disks isnt that big compared to 1 blu ray disk so GT5 will be bigger.

What does size have to do anything? There's games from the 90s like Monkey Island 2 that fit onto a bunch of floppy disks and had longer gameplay than some of today's games, so size doesn't mean anything..

That rumor is not confirmed.
The core game will be shipped on a single disc according to them.

We should know more during E3.

Hopefully so... I have to admit that although Forza 2 held my attention for some time, between the introduction of PGR4 and the loss of my first 360, the polish wore off quite quickly. The lack of an in-car camera really ended up bothering me, not to mention the occasionally wonky car choices that were there...

I'd really like to see a "leap" like what happened between GT2 and GT3 here, but that may be hoping for too much. The inclusion of LeMans would be great to go with Sebring, and I'd love to see the Daytona infield come along as well. There are quite a few missing cars and tracks, and my guess is that with this game, they should fill in "most" of the voids here.

...Time will tell...

The lack of an in-car camera really ended up bothering me, not to mention the occasionally wonky car choices that were there...

The lack of an in-car camera is quickly becoming unacceptable in racing games. After playing games like GT5:Prologue, PGR3&4, GTR2, etc... It really becomes a staple. Especially if you use a wheel. Yet, that was not my biggest problem with the game. Strange as it may seem, it was the horrible replay camera angles that killed it for me. It was a common occurrence to perform miraculous passing maneuvers, beautiful controlled drifts, etc... while the camera decides to focus it's attention at the side of the car . That is one area (one of many) where Turn 10 could learn a lot from the likes of Polyphony Digital.

;)

The lack of an in-car camera is quickly becoming unacceptable in racing games. After playing games like GT5:Prologue, PGR3&4, GTR2, etc... It really becomes a staple. Especially if you use a wheel. Yet, that was not my biggest problem with the game. Strange as it may seem, it was the horrible replay camera angles that killed it for me. It was a common occurrence to perform miraculous passing maneuvers, beautiful controlled drifts, etc... while the camera decides to focus it's attention at the side of the car . That is one area (one of many) where Turn 10 could learn a lot from the likes of Polyphony Digital.

;)

Totally agree with you here. I wish they'd take reply a little bit more seriously. To push it further, i wish games would start letting players edit their own replay camera... EA's SKATE really made it interesting, the way players could edit "videoclips" from past saved footage and all...

fingers crossed...

I doubt the two discs set would be like in Gran Turismo 2. Hell, I would enjoy Forza 3 as much as GT5 if they model the cars right. Forza 2's car models has 100,000 polygons which I'm very disappointed with. If it could reach 200,000 polygons for 12 cars on Forza 3, then I would be happy, but it would go over the limit due to the console's architecture. Sorry about reviving this.

For me I really dont care about the two disc thing. I just want Touge Tracks in FM3 Like they did in FM1. I can imagine the touge track with the cockpit view. :dopey:

Back