Forza Motorsport 6: Apex (PC) Discussion

• Thread starter GTvsForza
  • 753 comments

Should it be "free to play" or buy to play

• Buy to play(like how it is on consoles)

Votes: 75 61.5%
  • "free to play"

Votes: 47 38.5%

• Total voters
So after a good couple hours with the wheel, which felt good, I have to question if I or even some of my personal friends will buy into the franchise. Part of the problem is the physics, especially rain. the puddles are enough to kill you at any speed, and some of my good racing lines are well, just enough to put you off the track.

is this normal? and is horizon 3 going to be just as much of a basket case.

Yes, that's normal. The puddles you have to slow down a lot or pick your line with care. If you're going straight and the puddle isn't too long you'll have grip again before you spin out. The way they're modelling in game is that the puddles are really big ones. If you think about how you'd have to drive in those sort of conditions it makes sense.

oh not to mention the frame rate that dips and barely holds 57 or so, when card utilization is at 35%.

My understanding is that Apex is CPU bound on most rigs. Whether this will be the same for Horizon 3 is debatable. Remember that Apex was essentially ported from a console with weak CPU and GPU, but a lot of CPU cores. H3 has in all likelihood been designed to be PC compatible and take advantage of a PC.

We won't know until release, which is why I'm not preordering H3. You know, other than preorders generally being a bad idea. But I remain hopeful that Horizon will be the same or better.

Pretty glad that wheel support is finally added. Now I might have a reason to actually download it :D If anyone has a Logitech G25, how's the FFB on PC compared to, say, a G29 on XBONE? Since the G25 isn't natively supported in the original game I hope it's not too compromised.

With the announcement of GTS delay, and FH3 coming real soon, there's pretty much no reason for me to buy a PS4 now.

About the puddles, I find it a bit too excessive. It's visually impressive and certainly makes wet races more tense, but in real life you would never race under such conditions. This is road racing, not rallycross T10 :lol:

Last edited:
Pretty glad that wheel support is finally added. Now I might have a reason to actually download it :D If anyone has a Logitech G25, how's the FFB on PC compared to, say, a G29 on XBONE? Since the G25 isn't natively supported in the original game I hope it's not too compromised.

With the announcement of GTS delay, and FH3 coming real soon, there's pretty much no reason for me to buy a PS4 now.

About the puddles, I find it a bit too excessive. It's visually impressive and certainly makes wet races more tense, but in real life you would never race under such conditions. This is road racing, not rallycross T10 :lol:
Make sure in the profiler for Logitech you deselect combined pedals.

My G27 felt good once I bumped the center spring in game to 150.

T10 has done some good optimization with the new version - APEX runs much better for me and looks fantastic (night race at Sebring w/Corvette GTLM was a blast). And driving with a wheel sure beats gamepad control - feels pretty darn good with my TX w/T3PA pedals. For the first release of an FM game (limited but FREE) on the PC I have to say it look encouraging that us PC gamers will have another title to play with. Forza and Forza Horizon can be a lot of fun - a nice change of pace from the more serious sims. It would be great if Horizon 3 feels this good with a wheel.
rFactor 2 to FH3, and many in between - nice range of racing enjoyment!

Its a nice touch that they put an FPS counter in the top middle of your screen during a race. Finally, a way to gauge performance.

I was at 11 gigs downloaded and now I need to update to the Anniversary version. Come on Turn 10!

Since I saw that wheel support had been added, I wanted to try the game but was having all sorts of issues to download it. This worked for me so I'm posting in case anyone has similar issues.

- Download and install Forza Hub from the store.
- Update Windows 10 to the Anniversary Update.
- Run Forza Hub and select the full game.

It will now download.

I checked to ensure my Windows is up-to-date however, still cannot play or download the game from Win Store. Now I'm just trying this solution o see if it will help resolve this problem.

Been waiting for months for wheel support and apparently the updates also includes some optimisation which my pc was struggling. Anyway, while I'm waiting, I'm hoping it also supports Ultrawide resolution.

I checked to ensure my Windows is up-to-date however, still cannot play or download the game from Win Store. Now I'm just trying this solution o see if it will help resolve this problem.

Been waiting for months for wheel support and apparently the updates also includes some optimisation which my pc was struggling. Anyway, while I'm waiting, I'm hoping it also supports Ultrawide resolution.
If doesn't support UltraWide. I'm running it at 2560x1440 on my 3440x1440 UltraWide. Maybe once T10 has had more time on PC development they will support a wider range of hardware. It still looks much better than on my 60" flat panel TV (XONE FM6 version).

The Anniversary update may not trigger automatically. You may need to do it "manually", which basically means downloading the file from MS and clicking it.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ws-10-anniversary-update/#CzPRslpao1zD0ptp.97

Try the second method that they have where you click "Learn More" and download the file directly if you haven't already.

The Anniversary update may not trigger automatically. You may need to do it "manually", which basically means downloading the file from MS and clicking it.

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...ws-10-anniversary-update/#CzPRslpao1zD0ptp.97

Try the second method that they have where you click "Learn More" and download the file directly if you haven't already.
Got it to work after following the instructions. And you're right about the Win 10 anniversary update. Need to initiate the update myself and so far the machine not giving me any dramas like other people.

Has anybody else been experiencing issues with the game crashing in such a way that it would render all of your keyboard, mouse and controller inputs useless as well as deactivate the video and audio output? The only fix for this is to restart the computer. Haven't played FM6A in a while, but I don't remember having such issues when it came out.
Since the last update, this does not seem to be an issue anymore. Strange, considering a) the changelogs don't mention any fixes and b) I've done nothing apart from letting the game update itself. Well, all that matters it that it works!

Now that the wheel support is real, I finally had a chance to play Forza for the first time since Xbox 360 (Forza 3/4).

Quick summary of what I think:
  • FFB support (on my T300) is reasonable, useable while not being on the same level as AC/R3E/rF2/etc... It all feels a little unsubtle with the shudder from braking feeling particularly over the top. I ended up at 75/100/100/0/0 settings in Thrustmaster drivers (my usual) and 75% forces in game (via the advanced menu), although I might drop it down a little further as I test more cars.
  • Performance is excellent, I was getting 90-130fps with all settings fixed at max (not dynamic) at 1080p. From the look of taskman having a decent GPU is only part of what's necessary, it looks to have some heavy single threaded load so a fast modern CPU undoubtedly helps.
  • Graphically it's not up to Project CARS at ultra settings, but it's very reasonable (especially with all settings on max and almost no jaggies). I just wish the Forza art style went for more realistic lighting, but you just have to accept that it doesn't.
  • Physics are actually nicer than I expected. Forza 4's chronic oversteer tendencies have been reduced and in the cars I've tried so far there was more grip than expected. What I really don't like is the "your tyres are too hot so you now slide off the next 3 corners" effect, which feels very last-gen compared to the more subtle tyre models I'm used to on PC sims.
  • The lack of FOV adjustment renders cockpit mode absolutely useless to me. The hood camera is adequate to race with, but I really hope T10 go for proper FOV settings in Forza Motorsport 7.
  • There certainly seems to be a memory leak: The game gradually uses more and more RAM as time goes by (I was watching taskman on a second screen). I suspect people with only 8-16GB RAM will suffer issues because of this (going by memory use on my screen, I wonder if 8GB RAM is enough to avoid issues?)

All in all it feels good to be back in a car collecting game. I've missed it since my PS3 died and my PS4 has just been sitting there waiting for GTS. I fully intend to play through the tour and keep up on the special events as they arrive.

Edit: After some more time invested, I can add:
  • There seems to be time related stutter. After playing for a while the game can start to misbehave and stutter, despite the fps counter showing 100+ fps. After quitting and restarting the exact same race is back to being smooth again.
  • While road cars have high grip levels, the race cars seem to only want to slide and oversteer. Reminds me of Forza 3 in some ways (e.g. drifting a prototype around an oval because apparently it didn't have enough rear grip or aero to stay planted on the turns)

Last edited:
Now that the wheel support is real, I finally had a chance to play Forza for the first time since Xbox 360 (Forza 3/4).

• FFB support (on my T300) is reasonable, useable while not being on the same level as AC/R3E/rF2/etc... It all feels a little unsubtle with the shudder from braking feeling particularly over the top. I ended up at 75/100/100/0/0 settings in Thrustmaster drivers (my usual) and 75% forces in game (via the advanced menu), although I might drop it down a little further as I test more cars.
  • Performance is excellent, I was getting 90-130fps with all settings fixed at max (not dynamic) at 1080p. From the look of taskman having a decent GPU is only part of what's necessary, it looks to have some heavy single threaded load so a fast modern CPU undoubtedly helps.
  • Graphically it's not up to Project CARS at ultra settings, but it's very reasonable (especially with all settings on max and almost no jaggies). I just wish the Forza art style went for more realistic lighting, but you just have to accept that it doesn't.
  • Physics are actually nicer than I expected. Forza 4's chronic oversteer tendencies have been reduced and in the cars I've tried so far there was more grip than expected. What I really don't like is the "your tyres are too hot so you now slide off the next 3 corners" effect, which feels very last-gen compared to the more subtle tyre models I'm used to on PC sims.
  • The lack of FOV adjustment renders cockpit mode absolutely useless to me. The hood camera is adequate to race with, but I really hope T10 go for proper FOV settings in Forza Motorsport 7.
  • There certainly seems to be a memory leak: The game gradually uses more and more RAM as time goes by (I was watching taskman on a second screen). I suspect people with only 8-16GB RAM will suffer issues because of this (going by memory use on my screen, I wonder if 8GB RAM is enough to avoid issues?)

All in all it feels good to be back in a car collecting game. I've missed it since my PS3 died and my PS4 has just been sitting there waiting for GTS. I fully intend to play through the tour and keep up on the special events as they arrive.

• There seems to be time related stutter. After playing for a while the game can start to misbehave and stutter, despite the fps counter showing 100+ fps. After quitting and restarting the exact same race is back to being smooth again.
  • While road cars have high grip levels, the race cars seem to only want to slide and oversteer. Reminds me of Forza 3 in some ways (e.g. drifting a prototype around an oval because apparently it didn't have enough rear grip or aero to stay planted on the turns)

Good to know I'm not alone in the reduction of playable quality over time, aka reduced frame rates. Odd thing is I can't seem to turn v-sync off in game at all, unless I am seriously blind. I think the game has serious potential if they can fix the glitch with dropping frame rates during ongoing play.

Good to know I'm not alone in the reduction of playable quality over time, aka reduced frame rates. Odd thing is I can't seem to turn v-sync off in game at all, unless I am seriously blind. I think the game has serious potential if they can fix the glitch with dropping frame rates during ongoing play.
You have to switch off dynamic quality level, and then you get a long menu with various graphical settings. One of the settings obscurely refers to vsync via the explanation text on the right: I think it was frame rate target or something like that which you can set to 30/60/unlocked. Obviously unlocked disables vsync.

Make sure in the profiler for Logitech you deselect combined pedals.

My G27 felt good once I bumped the center spring in game to 150.

Ditto on combined pedals.

Centering spring I'm not so sure. Usually a good enough FFB will have its own "centering" spring effect from the tyre physics SAT. If FM6 needs extra artificial spring effect then the base FFB must be not that good.

Great write up as usual skazz 👍

I still haven't got round to DLing FM6 yet, but judging by the specs I think I might be in a bit of trouble. I have i7, GTX860M and only 8GB RAM, so I'm expecting most graphics settings to be in Low-Medium range :lol: Luckily I don't care that much about graphics, as long as it's minimum 60 FPS and stable ;)

Regarding center spring and damping: there are advanced options in game for those, but since I always disable spring and damping in drivers those two sliders did nothing for me in game.

In principle neither setting is useful in modern sims, for the following reasons:
- centering spring adds force to pull the wheel to center no matter what the car is doing. But all modern sims have good self-aligning torque forces so adding extra centering force is redundant and spoils the dynamic range of forces out of the physics.
- damping is for games which don't simulate steering weighting up based on the physics of tyre friction. Adding extra damping could be valid for people who are used to cars without power steering I guess. The trouble with adding damping is that consumer wheels (short of direct drive) don't have the motor power or free spinning nature to overcome damping effortlessly, so setting damping means you are fighting the limitations of your wheel more than is necessary... But I guess some people feel differently than me.

The 860M might well struggle with Forza Apex, but since it's free (you only need to install Windows 10 Anniversary Edition) there's no harm in trying :)

P.S. After earning all 51 medals currently available in Apex, I have to admit that Forza 6 Apex is growing on me.

FFB felt more nuanced once I dropped it to 65%, which definitely helped. I also realised that Forza simply wants you to never use more than 50% braking power in any of the default setups, which for some reason tend towards locking the rears as much as the fronts (I.e. Unexpected brake pressure and balance). Modulating the brake structurally below 50% makes all cars more stable. I still don't believe how little rear grip the GT cars have, but at least I now know how to enjoy them despite this.

You have to switch off dynamic quality level, and then you get a long menu with various graphical settings. One of the settings obscurely refers to vsync via the explanation text on the right: I think it was frame rate target or something like that which you can set to 30/60/unlocked. Obviously unlocked disables vsync.

Thanks!!

Ditto on combined pedals.

Centering spring I'm not so sure. Usually a good enough FFB will have its own "centering" spring effect from the tyre physics SAT. If FM6 needs extra artificial spring effect then the base FFB must be not that good.

Great write up as usual skazz 👍

I still haven't got round to DLing FM6 yet, but judging by the specs I think I might be in a bit of trouble. I have i7, GTX860M and only 8GB RAM, so I'm expecting most graphics settings to be in Low-Medium range :lol: Luckily I don't care that much about graphics, as long as it's minimum 60 FPS and stable ;)

I only bumped the centering spring because it didn't have enough tension on center, which could mean that their base ffb profile sucks, but it felt decent enough once I turned off vibrations and bumped the centering spring. to each their own though.

OK, so I've been playing Forza 6 Apex since yesterday, and so far, with my new rig (i7 6700k, Gigabyte GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming) the experience has been fantastic. The game keeps a good 60fps without any noticeable drops at max settings and 1440p/QHD. Currently I'm stuck at the third race of the career! :lol:

It's definitely worth it for being a free game. I'm waiting for support for the t150, but I've been playing with an afterglow x360 contoller

My T150 works fine with the game. What issues are you having?
I figured it out, I updated the firmware and the drivers, then I updated windows to the anniversary edition and it worked from there. The FFB does need a bit of tweaking though.

I can't download it from the windows store, can I download it from other sources? I want to try it. I have a pretty average pc but I think I can run it

I figured it out, I updated the firmware and the drivers, then I updated windows to the anniversary edition and it worked from there. The FFB does need a bit of tweaking though.
Yes it def needs some tweaking. Felt pretty weak.

I can't download it from the windows store, can I download it from other sources? I want to try it. I have a pretty average pc but I think I can run it
Losco you have to make sure that you've updated windows to with the anniversary update.

Losco you have to make sure that you've updated windows to with the anniversary update.

I checked windows updates and it says "all updated". Drivers updated too. I would like to try it even with lower specs.. is there a way to do it?

I checked windows updates and it says "all updated". Drivers updated too. I would like to try it even with lower specs.. is there a way to do it?
What are the specs of your PC? Also you would acty have to manually update to windows 10 anniversary edition. Search for that in google and you can find the update. There is no alternative way to install this game.

What are the specs of your PC? Also you would acty have to manually update to windows 10 anniversary edition. Search for that in google and you can find the update. There is no alternative way to install this game.

i7 Nvidia540, I know it's under minimum requirements, but I'd like to try it anyway

Back