Forza Motorsport 7: Demo Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 426 comments

Another youtuber that shares the concerns many of us(most of us) have when it comes to Forza series/Forza 7(demo) and steering wheels.
Bah, what is wrong with turn10, just make the wheel work as a steering wheel, not a pad with longer "throw"...

This is the first time I actually see a realistic review of Forza. Granted the Mario Kart example is a bit harsh but Need For Speed would be pretty accurate.

The guy is spot on though! If you approach Forza from a realistic, authentic motorsport experience it will frustrate the crap out of you. If you play PCARS 2 or Assetto Corsa as your main simulation game and then Forza next to it for the singleplayer (or multiplayer) arcade stuff like the guy mentioned in the video, it's not a bad game. I've been struggling over a year trying to enjoy FM6 as a true motorsport sim and it was just not working. I now see FM7 as the arcade successor of FH3 but then on real circuits instead of Australia and it's fine that way. I enjoyed the demo that way, apart from that understeering crap Porsche pig.

VXR
Ugh, watching that video, I see the mountain course is yet another super wide ribbon.

Heh. You are in for a surprise, then (also, please bear in mind that the road this course is based on is quite wide for a mountain pass, too...)

It doesn’t matter, I’m simply done with FM. I want to see more humble Motorsport circuits, but it’s not T10’s direction and that’s fine. Saves me money.

VXR
It doesn’t matter, I’m simply done with FM. I want to see more humble Motorsport circuits, but it’s not T10’s direction and that’s fine. Saves me money.
Mugello is back and it was one of the best things in the demo. Laguna Seca is being redone. Are you saying T10 aren't interested in real world tracks?

I think it was odd they didn't include maple valley in the demo as it was most likely their best bet to get the veterans hooked back into the idea of re buying another installment of the series.

Even in the old games it was one of the most visually stimulating tracks. In my humble opinion it's one of my all time favorite fantasy tracks as far as background and just all around beauty.

I understand the need to have that new desert track be showcased but meh.. I personally feel like that was a misstep maybe?

At any rate I wasn't impressed with the demo at all. I dont care about suits, or trucks, the rain felt to easy to drive in, even with all assists off, on a controller, and lastly i dont need to say anything about the Porsche..

I think the very last nail in the coffin for me will be the confirmation that the R32 Skyline still has no bodykits as they took them away in FM5.

I know that's small fries, and a dumb reason really, but it is one of my favorite two cars in life. However it is also very bland looking in stock form, unlike my all time favorite car, the supra was always better looking stock, than kitted.

Sorry for the ramble. I was under the impression I would buy it used, but with space being a serious real estate issue @ 90G, give or take, I think I may just skip it all together. I'm going to miss customization but I'll keep 6, 5, 4, and 3 around if I really need to customize something.

Last edited:
Mugello is back and it was one of the best things in the demo. Laguna Seca is being redone. Are you saying T10 aren't interested in real world tracks?

Mugello isn't exactly a "humble Motorsport circuit", hosting the Italian MotoGP and having hosted, in the past, a 1000km race that was part of the World Sportscar Championship. And I get what @VXR is saying - although I doubt there will ever be a game that will bring more trackday-perfect-circuit bang for your buck than pCars, which doesn't exactly have a gazillion such venues on offer either. Best setup would probably be a game like rFactor or Assetto Corsa with mods.

I understand the need to have that new desert track be showcased but meh.. I personally feel like that was a misstep maybe?

[...]

I think the very last nail in the coffin for me will be the confirmation that the R32 Skyline still has no bodykits as they took them away in FM5.

I know that's small fries, and a dumb reason really, but it is one of my favorite two cars in life. However it is also very bland looking in stock form, unlike my all time favorite car, the supra was always better looking stock, than kitted.

The Dubai/GT2 combo is definitely misleading, especially since people are getting the idea that the Porsche drivers poorly and forgetting it's essentially a turbocharged GT3 in this specific "bull in a china shop" scenario.

Anyways, if your priority is tuning & visual customization of a limited range of cars, then Forza's definitely not the game for you - and perhaps it'd be unfair to expect it to be good at so many things. However, if HDD space is such an issue, have you considered buying an external disk or SSD? It's definitely a worthy investment, whether or not you intend to expand your selection of games - titles installed on a decent external support seem to boot up faster and crash less often, in my experience.

Last edited:
Forza is an amazing car game, but it's missing some stuff that would make it more realistic and that is in PCARS2. No qualifying, no changing the tyres when it starts to rain. I would buy PCARS2 as well but sadly the performance is not very good on XOne S. :/ I will propably stick to Forza and see if maybe some patches make things better. To keep it on topic though, I enjoyed the demo. The game looks pretty spectacular on One S (and on standard One obviously). The Porsche is tough to drive but I really enjoyed the Nissan GT car. I also tried it on my laptop (pretty weak, I5 5200U and Nvidia 940M) and it was actually playable with everything on low/turned off. It has obviously looked pretty bad compared to XOne but the framerate was okay. It didn't even crash once while my friend who has better PC can't even change the graphics settings without the game crashing.

EDIT: I don't agree about calling Forza Motorsport an arcade game and comparing it to NFS and even Forza Horizon. Forza Motorsport is not arcade, it's not a full sim either. It's a realistic driving game but forgiving enough for people (like me) who just like cars and want to have fun driving and can't afford/prefer don't have place for a wheel.

Last edited:
VXR
No, I’d be happier seeing places like Cadwell and Ebisu with challenging undulations added, rather than pristine, top level circuits.

Real tracks have always seemed a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" type thing as there are so many great tracks in the world so no matter how many you add there will always be notable exceptions.

My major problem with Forza's track selection is the fictional halo tracks they've been doing that largely feel the same. I'm fine with whatever they give us for real tracks, even the stinkers like Abu Dhabi.

This is the first time I actually see a realistic review of Forza. Granted the Mario Kart example is a bit harsh but Need For Speed would be pretty accurate.

The guy is spot on though! If you approach Forza from a realistic, authentic motorsport experience it will frustrate the crap out of you. If you play PCARS 2 or Assetto Corsa as your main simulation game and then Forza next to it for the singleplayer (or multiplayer) arcade stuff like the guy mentioned in the video, it's not a bad game. I've been struggling over a year trying to enjoy FM6 as a true motorsport sim and it was just not working. I now see FM7 as the arcade successor of FH3 but then on real circuits instead of Australia and it's fine that way. I enjoyed the demo that way, apart from that understeering crap Porsche pig.
Stop with the baiting.

Last edited:
Mugello isn't exactly a "humble Motorsport circuit", hosting the Italian MotoGP and having hosted, in the past, a 1000km race that was part of the World Sportscar Championship.
I'm sorry, I misunderstood what he was saying and was happy to see him explain it in his own words. No need for the pile-on.

A watched the Ford GT video and Laguna Seca is not up to date... Theres no tarmac behind the curb at turn 6 in Forza 7.

Hello,
Check my second race in Forza Motorsport 7 Demo on 4K Gaming PC (i7 6700k + GTX1070 + Thrustmaster wheel) with Mercedes-Benz Truck.
Mugello circuit is back in Forza Motorsport series and it's fun to drive !

:)

There's nothing wrong with what he said.
FM7 is the arcade successor to FH3 on race tracks instead of Australia is a bait post. The Motorsport series is aimed at the simulator genre, to imply it's at the level of the Horizon series that tones down the simulator aspect even more is incorrect.

FM is much closer to FH than to a sim you know. The car, the settings and the tuning are identical. The surface / tire model is just a bit different so that one is more forgiving, the other not. And yes its on circuits instead of open world so the kids can feel cool thinking they have a sim in their hands. But that's okay, as soon as those kids grow up and are interested in a real sim then they can move on to the next chapter. I see FM/FH as one big breathing pool for future sim fans so it's absolutely great Dan Greenwald adds rewind buttons friction assists, mummies, loot crates and other 21st century crap to lure new people in, the instant-gratification YouTube generation. It's like an investment you know. A couple of years from now a bunch of those kids will be serious sim racers.

That's how it went with me as well, I stumbled into GT, RR3, FH and FM as my first car games. It was great, until you realize something is awfully wrong and missing, and it's time to move on. But I stayed and I moved on. FM/FH/NFS are to please the kid inside me who likes them shiny trinkets. PC/AC are for the realistic car/motorsport enthousiast in me. They can coexist perfectly and I will get my pleasure out of both titles.

VXR

Sounds like you already decided not to buy it and used this opportunity to whine in public for attention.

I mean honestly, you're taking the addition of a single track(fictional track btw), whining that it's too wide(even though that's how wide the area is in reality) and then claiming it's a "direction". Ignoring the addition of Mugello, Suzuka in Forza 7; addition of Brands Hatch, Monza, Spa, Circuit of the Americas, Lime Rock, VIR and Watkins Glen in recent franchise releases this generation.

Forza can't win for losing with some and that's never going to change.

FM/FH/NFS are to please the kid inside me who likes them shiny trinkets.

The fact that you would put Forza Motorsport and Need For Speed on the same list just kills your logic for me.

Forza Motorsport is likely never going to have flags and penalties but it's also never going to have the arcade physics of NFS.

Forza Motorsport embodies the fun of customizing a huge diverse lineup of vehicles with a laid back and fun track day racer with realistic physics.

Please don't start the "but why call it Motorsport ?" argument, Motorsport is not some term with such a narrow definition; it's a game that involves vehicles that race each other in competition... so a Motorsport.

"sports (plural noun)
  1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:"

Last edited:
FM is much closer to FH than to a sim you know. The car, the settings and the tuning are identical. The surface / tire model is just a bit different so that one is more forgiving, the other not.
No, duh. That doesn't validate your statement to call it an arcade successor, however.
And yes its on circuits instead of open world so the kids can feel cool thinking they have a sim in their hands. But that's okay, as soon as those kids grow up and are interested in a real sim then they can move on to the next chapter. I see FM/FH as one big breathing pool for future sim fans so it's absolutely great Dan Greenwald adds rewind buttons friction assists, mummies, loot crates and other 21st century crap to lure new people in, the instant-gratification YouTube generation. It's like an investment you know. A couple of years from now a bunch of those kids will be serious sim racers.
They do have a sim in their hands. Its goal is to replicate how cars behave in the real world and judging by those who play a wide variety of simulators, it seems to do the job enough to justify what it claims to be.

The only argument you continuously bring forth is, "Oh the classes are unrealistic" & "it doesn't replicate real world motorsports". Valid point, doesn't make it arcade however. It's surprising to see you even consider buying the game considering at one point, you were so high strung on berating it in comparison to another sim & weren't going to bother with it because it didn't address the areas you had issue with.

If someone wants to more accurately simulate real motorsports, ie classes and pit strategies, there is a game for them; and it's called Project Cars (2), iRacing, rFactor (2), RRE, etc. For those who want to have their fun in a more relaxed fashion with custom cars that they can fiddle with, there is Forza Horizon 3 and Motorsport 7 (at least on PC).

If someone doesn't want to buy Forza, I'm not going to argue over it, let them not buy it. I'm not getting PC2 right away, but I'm not ripping on it in any way, simply I don't want it over Forza right now. Both are good titles for their respective targeted goal.

If someone wants to more accurately simulate real motorsports, ie classes and pit strategies, there is a game for them; and it's called Project Cars (2), iRacing, rFactor (2), RRE, etc. For those who want to have their fun in a more relaxed fashion with custom cars that they can fiddle with, there is Forza Horizon 3 and Motorsport 7 (at least on PC).

I own them all and also AC, AMS, Grid, NfS, The Crew ^^

Sounds like you already decided not to buy it and used this opportunity to whine in public for attention.

I mean honestly, you're taking the addition of a single track(fictional track btw), whining that it's too wide(even though that's how wide the area is in reality) and then claiming it's a "direction". Ignoring the addition of Mugello, Suzuka in Forza 7; addition of Brands Hatch, Monza, Spa, Circuit of the Americas, Lime Rock, VIR and Watkins Glen in recent franchise releases this generation.

Forza can't win for losing with some and that's never going to change.

The fact that you would put Forza Motorsport and Need For Speed on the same list just kills your logic for me.

Forza Motorsport is likely never going to have flags and penalties but it's also never going to have the arcade physics of NFS.

Forza Motorsport embodies the fun of customizing a huge diverse lineup of vehicles with a laid back and fun track day racer with realistic physics.

Please don't start the "but why call it Motorsport ?" argument, Motorsport is not some term with such a narrow definition; it's a game that involves vehicles that race each other in competition... so a Motorsport.

"sports (plural noun)
  1. an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment:"

It was this actual track that had any shred of interest for me, but seeing that video wasn’t enough to compel me to buy the game. Fujimi Kaido would have alone.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a perfect physics engine and anyone claiming such a thing is laughable.

It's probably a good thing nobody is, then.

I know you spend a lot of time white-knighting on behalf of the Forza franchise, but people having different opinions to your own is not "whining". It's them voicing their own opinion. You're welcome to disagree, but find a better way to do so.

man u guys are so right about the steering settings. Switching from "simulation" to "standard" made a World of difference. I can actually drive the thing now. I still suck though but at least it's controllable. But i kinda hate the AI cos they keep ramming into me when i'm getting a nice slide on the car...

maybe i shd giv AC/PC a go and wait and see how GT will be like.

It's probably a good thing nobody is, then.

Considering how people some people talk about the Forza physics engine in these threads, you'd think any Sim on PC had a perfect physics engine.

I know you spend a lot of time white-knighting on behalf of the Forza franchise, but people having different opinions to your own is not "whining". It's them voicing their own opinion. You're welcome to disagree, but find a better way to do so.

No, it was whining.

Also his "opinion" was in contradiction with reality, as I said in a previous post, they've added quite a few motorsport tracks this gen for the franchise; including lesser known tracks like VIR, Brands Hatch and Lime Rock.

They might not be the tracks he would like and that's fair enough but I think it's odd to call it a "direction".

New tracks to Forza this gen:

Forza 5:
  • Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps
  • Mount Panorama Motor Racing Circuit Bathurst
  • Prague
  • Long Beach
  • Yas Marina Circuit
Forza 6:
  • Autodromo Nazionale Monza
  • Brands Hatch
  • Circuit of the Americas
  • Daytona International Speedway
  • Homestead-Miami Speedway
  • Lime Rock Park
  • Rio de Janeiro
  • Virginia International Raceway
  • Watkins Glen International
Forza 7:
  • Autodromo Internazionale del Mugello
  • Dubai - Circuit of the Emirates
  • Maple Valley Raceway
  • Suzuka Circuit
VXR

whining
  • complain in a feeble or petulant way:
petulant
  • (of a person or their manner) childishly sulky or bad-tempered:
sulky
  • morose, bad-tempered, and resentful; refusing to be cooperative or cheerful:
man u guys are so right about the steering settings. Switching from "simulation" to "standard" made a World of difference. I can actually drive the thing now. I still suck though but at least it's controllable. But i kinda hate the AI cos they keep ramming into me when i'm getting a nice slide on the car...

Most people are more comfortable with the normal steering setting. As far as the AI go, they aren't really setup to deal with people sliding or drifting corners; same would be true in PC and AC. The AI does drive more mature in higher difficulties

Last edited:
Considering how people some people talk about the Forza physics engine in these threads, you'd think any Sim on PC had a perfect physics engine.

Ah, a strawman. That didn't take long.

No, it was whining.

whining
  • complain in a feeble or petulant way:
petulant
  • (of a person or their manner) childishly sulky or bad-tempered:
sulky
  • morose, bad-tempered, and resentful; refusing to be cooperative or cheerful:

Assign whatever imaginary tone you want to a simple statement — but that's your doing, nobody else's.

Since you're a fan of copy/pasting definitions, here you go:

Done: arrived at or brought to an end.
Save: to preserve or guard from injury, destruction, or loss (of money)

Doubling-down on insulting a member because of your severe emotional investment in one particular franchise is an oddly specific hill to die on.

Simulation is very difficult on a controller for me; one wrong flick of the stick, esp. in the GT2 going up the mountain can turn it into a spin. To me, I imagine that option is better suited towards those with wheels.

Ah, a strawman. That didn't take long.

I didn't know we were in an argument or debate on the topic.

Assign whatever imaginary tone you want to a simple statement — but that's your doing, nobody else's..

I'm not assigning an "imaginary tone", his post expresses that tone pretty well without my help. He is clearly resentful and displeased by Forza 7 and Turn 10; I'm not sure how saying he is whining is somehow a personal insult as you claim.

Also, I never said he wasn't voicing his opinion as you seem to think they are mutually exclusive acts and they aren't.

Since you're a fan of copy/pasting definitions, here you go:

Done: arrived at or brought to an end.
Save: to preserve or guard from injury, destruction, or loss (of money)

Doubling-down on insulting a member because of your severe emotional investment in one particular franchise is an oddly specific hill to die on.

I'm not insulting him, I was commenting on his post; I didn't realize that commenting on someone's post was an insult to the person.

By that logic, wouldn't the act of you calling me a white knight also be an insult?(I take it as an insult.) I have plenty of gripes with Forza and I've shared them on this very board not long ago.

Also, are you threatening to ban me because I was explaining what I meant with my post?

I looked over the forum guidelines again:

https://www.gtplanet.net/aup/

And I'll say that I personally didn't intend for my comment to be hateful and/or abusive toward VXR and I apologize if that's how it was received.

Last edited:
Back