Forza Motorsport 7: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 6,750 comments
Ugh. The homologation system. Don't even get me started.

Lest anyone think I'm endlessly crapping on FM7, there are a lot of things I like about the game.

Variety of cars. No other game offers the variety of cars that FM7 does. Tons of cars from Australia. Grand Prix cars from every decade from the 1920s to today including a nearly complete 1967 F1 grid. Le Mans racers from the 1950s to today. The variety of cars available is stunning.
Quality of modeling. Even on my OG XB1, the cars look fantastic.
Painting cars. I don't think there is another game that provides so may tools for painting cars and recreating classic paint liveries or original designs.
Driver gear. I like this concept (as you can tell by the fact that I curate the driver gear list here. See my sig.) It's fun and a lot better than FH3's car horns that it turned out no one gave a 🤬 about.
Racing feel. Cars feel right when I drive them.
Race circuits. I like the selection of real and fantasy circuits we get. My faves are the city circuits like Prague and Rio.
Photography. FM7 (honestly, every Forza game) had a robust photo mode that allows for some seriously good in-game photography.

Even with all those positives, the negatives outweigh them. The homologation system, the extraordinary volume of locked cars, the endless bugs, the endlessly looping specialty dealer. It just turns me off.

I'm sure it's different for a lot of you. I think for a lot of people, you get the cars so you can race. I'm the opposite. I race so I can get the cars. Because I'm a car guy. The racing doesn't interest me in the least. I just want the cars, and there are far too many barriers between me and the cars in the game.

So, erm... don't take this wrong, but you buy a racing game and you don't like racing?
Not any more. I thought I was pretty quick racer. Online racing has proven the opposite. I'm slow. Painfully slow. I'm often last or very close to last. That realization had dimmed my enthusiasm for racing. Thankfully Horizon exists so I can get my cars and just drive them. Photograph them. Paint them. Enjoy them on my own terms.

Last edited:
Yeah, I haven't driven a car in game since... the January car pack? No, I think I test drove the Stinger? I show up for the monthly car packs because I stupidly paid for them already but other than that... only at 47 days played, thought I would have least got 60 by now.

Neither the Lincoln or the Volvo let you in the back seat for some reason...

It's been over 5 months since release and the 2013 Dodge Dart still isn't available... the speciality car dealer is dead in the water, blah blah, whine whine.

Are they trying to stretch this crap out til FH4? At this rate it looks like they won't be done until FM8...

This is so incredibly depressing. After FH3 I basically gave up on FH and now FM is dead to me as well. I guess I'll just wait for the 2019 holiday 50-65% Christmas sale or maybe consider the game pass some day for FM8.

While I do enjoy the game, I feel this game definitely could have been the one that I could have skipped. The car pass hasn't really been worth it to me, not much for my personal taste. Not exactly an issue, I knew full well the issues of buying blind, but I had strong faith in the series coming from the past few Forza's.

While there is new features and what not, I feel there wasn't enough "new" to me. I really wish they would have upped customization this time around since they put a relatively small amount of new vehicles in, it seemed like it would have been the most plausible thing, given the situation. The photomode can do with some definite improvements as well. The lighting model is improving, but it definitely still has a good amount of flaws in certain situations, that become more pronounced when using photomode. There is also a bit of smaller issues, that dont really need to be named, but I realized they added up to a lackluster experience, not at the beginning of the games life, but more so months down the line.

My interest in racing games in general has been dwindling as the years pass, to be honest. It seems as each iteration comes out, the downward trends start to get more pronounced. Hopefully Forza 8 is something wonderful, as it rightfully should be at that point in time. I might even skip Horizon, depending on its locale.

Forza's been getting stale for while, they need something completely fresh like adding bikes or proper rally stages for Motorsport, and again bikes, boats and planes for Horizon along with much bigger play spaces. The Crew 2 looks promising already with all the different disciplines and a huge map, PG should take note.

I just read this and I think it would foster a good discussion concerning the future of both franchises of the Forza brand. However, if you all feel it merits (or not) its own thread, please let me know!

I just read this and I think it would foster a good discussion concerning the future of both franchises of the Forza brand. However, if you all feel it merits (or not) its own thread, please let me know!

I think it does, considering what I raised in my long post yesterday that there is a clear divide betwesn Motorsport and Horizon.

While I do enjoy the game, I feel this game definitely could have been the one that I could have skipped. The car pass hasn't really been worth it to me, not much for my personal taste. Not exactly an issue, I knew full well the issues of buying blind, but I had strong faith in the series coming from the past few Forza's.

While there is new features and what not, I feel there wasn't enough "new" to me. I really wish they would have upped customization this time around since they put a relatively small amount of new vehicles in, it seemed like it would have been the most plausible thing, given the situation. The photomode can do with some definite improvements as well. The lighting model is improving, but it definitely still has a good amount of flaws in certain situations, that become more pronounced when using photomode. There is also a bit of smaller issues, that dont really need to be named, but I realized they added up to a lackluster experience, not at the beginning of the games life, but more so months down the line.

My interest in racing games in general has been dwindling as the years pass, to be honest. It seems as each iteration comes out, the downward trends start to get more pronounced. Hopefully Forza 8 is something wonderful, as it rightfully should be at that point in time. I might even skip Horizon, depending on its locale.
I think most of this sums up my general feelings, except for skipping it.

I think, and more so hoping, this game not only serves as a solid building platform for FM8 but as a learning experience of what not to do with the car roster. Locked cars are one thing, but they might as well return to calling them Unicorns and explain up front how to get them. We're nearly half a year in and only just now received the infamous RS, and who knows what else that is currently locked will finally have be up for grabs. The Speciality Dealer is the elephant in the room as well. Lots of potential that's now a useless feature for those of who bought the game at launch and at Christmas with a 3rd repeat cycle. I didn't see any poll options for the fans to vote a couple cars into it which would have been a redeeming quality of it. You've already touched on the lack of genuinely new cars to series & modifications.

As for the game itself, I still enjoy just loading it up and free playing hot laps in various cars. I like to tack more of the usual courses I prefer with the "changing conditions", but I'll keep my views on it as knowing what's there will need to be greatly improved upon for the next game. For now, it's a decent taste of what they can offer, but something I don't think they'll change for this game, so I won't waste my time complaining about it; I like what they've got so far, to be blunt.

The one thing I will weigh heavily with the next game is splurging for the Ultimate Edition. I've come to terms by now that the Car Pass will never satisfy me completely, but I still usually am fine with the VIP & unique cars. As we all know, they dropped the bomb there huge on release and only changed the VIP to be as it normally should. Next time around, I probably won't have any problem buying a base edition and buying VIP benefits afterwards, esp. if the unique cars for the higher editions end up again as "FE" cars. The benefit for me will to pick and choose exactly what I want with the DLC.

All this talk of dissention, just when I am trying to break out of my shell and become more engaged with Forza again. LOL.

I've read that Turn 10 finally added the ability to snap, flip and mirror to the paint shop. I am interested in testing that out. I know I was asking for those sort of aids since Forza 3, and I am sure I am not alone. What took Turn 10 so long to "listen to the community" on this?

Last edited:
All this talk of dissention, just when I am trying to break out of my shell and become more engaged with Forza again. LOL.

I've read that Turn 10 finally added the ability to snap, flip and mirror to the paint shop. I am interested in testing that out. I know I was asking for those sort of aids since Forza 3, and I am sure I am not alone. What took Turn 10 so long to "listen to the community" on this?

Maybe is a sign (I'm hopeful) that the asset building days for the HD-4K era are over and now they can turn their attention to other aspects of the game, in preparation for future Forzas down the road.

I was doing the Trans Am Forzathon and noticed that the driver doesn't even hold onto the wheel! This is on the '77.

No clue if this has been brought up before, but I figured I'd share it anyway.

I'll also preface this with saying that no outside programs or modified files were used.

It's an issue we've had pop up in the COTW thread once or twice, but it seems the revert to stock option in the tuning menu is bugged. Using it will not actually remove any upgrades added to the car until the next time the game has to reload the car assets (i.e. when choosing a different track), yet it will still display the PI number of the stock car.

(Note how the car starts out fully upgraded.)

Forza Motorsport 7 3_9_2018 12_45_53 AM.png

This just makes it way too easy to cheese the leaderboards if you wanted to, if slightly obvious.

Maybe is a sign (I'm hopeful) that the asset building days for the HD-4K era are over and now they can turn their attention to other aspects of the game, in preparation for future Forzas down the road.

I could only hope, but I have the feeling that Turn 10 is going to dig up the same excuses that they've always used.

I'd love for Turn 10 to prove they are correct in saying that a hard core race sim will not do well, by creating a hard core race sim with the assets already used in FM7 and reworking the physics to be as real as they can make it. Go the ACC route and put nothing but race cars in the game to make room for a better physics engine. Keep the game as a track racer only. And as for customization, allow designs to be imported from FM7 if the car is in the racing title. Tuning should be addressed so the tuning options match what can be done in reality (individual tire pressures, spring rates on each side of the car... ect). Make this, and see how it does.

I know this would never happen because they are always looking for the biggest return on their efforts. But I do wonder if making a title like that would quiet detractors like my self, if this title was to fail. They constantly say what their data shows, but when they are controlling the stimuli; that data can be manipulated to support what ever they want it to.

Last edited:
Well, a few posts above I linked a tweet from Playground Games, boasting that FH3 is still selling quite well in the UK (but that is true in other markets as well), but FM7 digital/physical sales for the year also made the list, that's why I think it is relevant to this thread. Combined, FH3+FM7 actually outsold GT Sport this year (again just in the UK.)
From this data I don't really see Turn10 transforming the next Forza into a more "hardcore" sim, since there is really no motivation to go after AC/PC2 sales just for pride´s sake. That being said, a third spinoff using existing assets and focused in harcore simulation and/or eSports could be quite feasible, and even desirable for me if its accessible.

Last edited:
but it seems the revert to stock option in the tuning menu is bugged. Using it will not actually remove any upgrades added to the car until the next time the game has to reload the car assets (i.e. when choosing a different track), yet it will still display the PI number of the stock car.
I've had sort of the opposite happen a few times, Where I would go upgrade a car that had stock parts installed, but still showing the Homologated PI. Using the reset to stock option would fix it.

I could only hope, but I have the feeling that Turn 10 is going to dig up the same excuses that they've always used.

I'd love for Turn 10 to prove they are correct in saying that a hard core race sim will not do well, by creating a hard core race sim with the assets already used in FM7 and reworking the physics to be as real as they can make it. Go the ACC route and put nothing but race cars in the game to make room for a better physics engine. Keep the game as a track racer only. And as for customization, allow designs to be imported from FM7 if the car is in the racing title. Tuning should be addressed so the tuning options match what can be done in reality (individual tire pressures, spring rates on each side of the car... ect). Make this, and see how it does.

I know this would never happen because they are always looking for the biggest return on their efforts. But I do wonder if making a title like that would quiet detractors like my self, if this title was to fail. They constantly say what their data shows, but when they are controlling the stimuli; that data can be manipulated to support what ever they want it to.
They’re not going to “create a failure” just to make a point, that’s just bad business and puts far too much weight on what a (comparatively) very small minority of Forza players are looking for.

They’re not going to “create a failure” just to make a point, that’s just bad business and puts far too much weight on what a (comparatively) very small minority of Forza players are looking for.

So support the masses and chase the money. But what happens when that formula becomes too stale to sustain? Re-invent or attempt to cater to an audience that's been neglected? Or do the most sensible thing to do financially, and retire the IP?

Business ruins everything.
Microsoft/T10 are businesses - without them you wouldn't have had the Forza series to begin with. We will never completely agree with their business decisions as those are made on sustainability - we the consumer make our decisions on the enjoyment vs. cost standpoint.
I may not totally agree with the MS/T10 game development decisions but overall FM7 is a pretty decent game. It's mostly those that have been with the series from the beginning (I have but only casually and not a car collector) that are growing a little tired. My guess is that new FM gamers like the quality and depth of this AAA title.

For a chance to win "The Dude Abides" driver gear, go to this thread on the Forza Motorsport site and post your favorite quote from the movie. That's it. Keep it clean, though. The thread closes on Monday so don't delay.

Just got the reward cars from the February Bounty hunter. The MG has some extra front lights and spare tire body options.
It's odd that you can remove the rear bumper, but not the front bumper. I'm trying to remember if that was true in FM4 or not.

So support the masses and chase the money. But what happens when that formula becomes too stale to sustain? Re-invent or attempt to cater to an audience that's been neglected? Or do the most sensible thing to do financially, and retire the IP?

Frankly, the Forza Motorsport name as a whole holds cache mainly because it offers something that no other sim in the market does: a large toybox of cars that you can play with however you want. That is what Forza has always excelled at. That's what gave it the jump it needed when it came to Forza 2 and the massive head start that T10 and Microsoft had on Sony and PD at the start of the last console generation. Aside from the homologation system, this is done well in Forza 7.

It's everything else that is the problem. It's the bugs, the glitches, the poor choices for car packs, lack of new content, etc. Something like that can be fixed, and you aren't throwing the baby out with the bath water trying to chase after trends that may or may not work out for you as a company.

I may be burnt out on the Motorsport games, but I can see why it has sustained itself for so long, and why people like it. So why risk doing something like what you described when it can very easily alienate a wide swath of the player base?

Besides, going to be brutally honest here, if T10 did make that hypothetical 'hardcore sim racer' and targeted it towards people like on this very forum, who have access to other sim racers on both the Xbox One, PS4, and PC, I think a lot of people would be skeptical. This is anecdotal, but I have seen sim racers on PC look at Forza 6: Apex and Forza 7 with curiosity, finding that it isn't up to snuff compared to PCARS, AC or other even more niche simulators, and going on their merry way. Is this what you want to be targeting? A market that, even on consoles, is quite picky and usually is static on games they prefer?

Is anybody having issues with Forza Rewards? Twice have I not received my credits in the games after claiming them in Forza Hud. It's getting on my nerves because since FH2 it's been working, now I can't claim any credits...

Latest Posts

Back