Forza Motorsport 7: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 6,750 comments
It's called masking, where you stop the light from coming through the object, rather than letting it come through. It's more likely to be a limitation of trying to get 24 cars on screen at the same time and ambient occlusion taking up too much processing.

Thanks. I'll try and remember that.

It's called masking, where you stop the light from coming through the object, rather than letting it come through. It's more likely to be a limitation of trying to get 24 cars on screen at the same time and ambient occlusion taking up too much processing.

Isn't it just a mix of shadow bias and self shadowing? Since the wheel is close to the source of the shadow (i.e. the car), if the value for the shadow bias is too high then the areas near the source will appear to have no shadow. The reason the bias *should* sometimes be set high is because a value too low will cause artefacting and weird patterns on the self-shadow object, which is usually even worse than some slight floating.

I think the issue is forzavista then photomode...it looks terrible.. hehe

dbd53c16-2778-47b2-9d49-795f945e87e2 (960 x 540).jpg
2632243f-54ca-47ff-8e51-f32f46cc81a1 (960 x 540).jpg

My main gripes with FM7 are the decisions by the devs that just make no sense to me, plain odd. The headlights being forced on is one of those. Having multiple time of day settings for every track, but forcing them to be random? Why? Realism is thrown out the door when I’m trying to have online series race, and the game decides to have the race so early in the morning. Also annoys me the way that, even though there are multiple TOD settings for each track, some tracks don’t even have a normal midday setting. Bathurst, Longbeach, Sebring are some examples. Bathurst has terrible lighting because it’s just a modified version of the FM5 lighting for the track, even when the TOD is somewhat close to midday, the lighting is completely off.

Another odd decision is to have gotten rid of test driving. Now you have to start a free play race, and because it has to be a race, you can’t chose the open version of the Test Track. Which is incredibly fustrating when I’m want to just have a mess around or take photos. Why have such a space when you’re locking it to online playground lobbies.

The locked cars are obviously a big one which I think everyone is frustrated by. Unicorn cars were enjoyed by some, but hated by many, and this just took it to the extreme. If they were wanting to lock cars and have you earn them, they should’ve just gone the Gran Turismo route and have you unlock a car for completing Career mode series. That would get a lot of people to play career mode, who currently don’t. The new Forza Edition cars with exclusive widebodies are cool, but they should’ve been the only ‘unicorns’.

Another odd decision is to have gotten rid of test driving. Now you have to start a free play race, and because it has to be a race, you can’t chose the open version of the Test Track. Which is incredibly fustrating when I’m want to just have a mess around or take photos. Why have such a space when you’re locking it to online playground lobbies.
I'm fairly certain the test drive option is in the menu tab to the right after you actually load the track.

My main gripes with FM7 are the decisions by the devs that just make no sense to me, plain odd. The headlights being forced on is one of those. Having multiple time of day settings for every track, but forcing them to be random? Why? Realism is thrown out the door when I’m trying to have online series race, and the game decides to have the race so early in the morning. Also annoys me the way that, even though there are multiple TOD settings for each track, some tracks don’t even have a normal midday setting. Bathurst, Longbeach, Sebring are some examples. Bathurst has terrible lighting because it’s just a modified version of the FM5 lighting for the track, even when the TOD is somewhat close to midday, the lighting is completely off.
The headlights issue is really weird. I have had some League or other races where my headlights never came on! And I frantically searched for the button to turn them on! Especially in the pitch black night, ugh!
The Time of Day lighting is another one where I agree completely with you. Plenty of daylight to race under, why do we have to race as the sun is going down? Obvisouly Turn 10 is making a point with it's "lighting effects", sun glare, etc. Honestly, I think all races should start near mid day, and real time sun and weather effects should be random from there. I'd also like to see like a "24 Hrs" option, kind of like the night racing where the night progresses at an accelerated "Real Time", maybe based on total laps set up. So that you can race a track where the entire day will pass by (at an accelerated rate).
The lighting effects are nice, and add a nuance to the racing. But after a while, it gets boring, and I wish that I could race Bathurst at midday. I think a good compromise would be to have 3-4 TOD's scenarios for many of the tracks, and for the rest, just leave it at midday. You can still have the night racing, and the rain racing. I really like rain racing, and the fact that it is very controllable in the advanced settings. That feature is much better than the lighting effects, IMO.

I'm fairly certain the test drive option is in the menu tab to the right after you actually load the track.
I think he means like the test drive option how we used to have it when selecting a car or when tuning/upgrading. Now we have to go all the way to freeplay and load up a track just to test drive. It used to be much simpler.

Admittedly, you are able to tune the car while the track is loaded. So in effect, you can tune a lot of cars quickly on the same track, instead of going to each car's tuning page and loading the track every time.

I think he means like the test drive option how we used to have it when selecting a car or when tuning/upgrading. Now we have to go all the way to freeplay and load up a track just to test drive. It used to be much simpler.
I dont think so. He said that theres no way to go freely through the track, and that it's only a race. The test drive option in that menu allows you to just roam, without worrying about laps, if I remember correctly

Are there any tracks where the headlights stay off? Such an odd choice by T10, running a sunny ‘Ring with the headlights on.

Jokingly, it's because it has been proven, by what ever they use to prove it; that headlights being on heightens visibility no matter what time of day or the lighting conditions at the time. For example a car with the rising sun at it's back is more visible with the headlights on, even though the observer wouldn't be able to see anything other than the glare of the sun, but by-golly, those dim headlights compared to the light the sun is putting out, will be more visible. And thus headlights are to be on during all times of the day.
To save strain on car's systems, the manufacturers can use slightly weaker lights during the day, because we all know that dimmer bulbs during the brightest time of day is safer. And this has become what is now known as day time running lights, which are mandatory on vehicles made after 1992 in the US. Because light pollution in broad day light, saves lives.
And going on how save DTRL has been for reality, Turn 10 adopted that safety standard to Forza, requiring the headlights of all cars in games sold after 2016 to have a representation of DTRL for safety purposes. People in public hoppers, involved in the turn 1 melee, are rejoicing as you read this.

So there. It's for safety. :P

I think I might be going insane. I was absolutely sure that the Porsche-built 1991-1994 Mercedes-Benz 500 E was in Forza somewhere. Motorsport or maybe Horizon, I was sure I remembered driving it. But it doesn't show up in any version of the game I can see. This is just so strange.

I did. It has some...interesting cars, shall we say. And it's dirt cheap too considering it was more often then not packaged with Jet Grind Radio when SEGA was the Japanese arm of Microsoft. So if you have an original Xbox, I recommend taking a look.

Well i was only doing laps on top gear track, so there was only one car...And the graphics looked like that..

The graphics engine won't be scaled up or down depending on the number of cars on track, it's likely that it will be fixed to the most stressful application of 24 cars in the rain at 60fps. Also, the masking should be done at the car modelling stage.

Does anybody know if it does this on the Xbone X?

If I put bugs and lighting choices aside, Forza 7 could be the best racing game. They have the best tracks, cars lists, they simply have to work on the career mode and the menus.
Career mode: unlike Gran Turismo, every car is playable in Arcade mode. So, I'd love a less generous economy and more hard working like the first GTs with cheap cars at least for the first few hours.

Menus: the dealership and career mode interface look plain. Something overlooked by Turn 10. I'm sure we all love the track list menu in GT3 or the dealership menu in the first GTs.

We've gotten car packs during months when we got free cars, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get a car pack too.
Agreed. New DLC is probably just pushed back a week or two due to the lateness of the last DLC. (And probably some last minute extra QC just to make sure it ships right the first time.)

Latest Posts

Back