Forza Motorsport 7: General Discussion

• Thread starter PJTierney
  • 6,750 comments
Hey All,hoping someone can assist here. Have had FM7 (pc install)for some time now for the kids but it wont start anymore, loading windows starts, then after 5-8 minutes it just dies.

Things I have tried.

Reset Game in windows
reset store in windows
reset xbox app in windows
flush store cache in windows
renew all licences via powershell script.
wsreset (this does nothing, just a hanging black command window)

etc etc etc

(basically everything I could find online from what seem sto be a rather common issue)

and finally, reinstall game

All to no avail, a mate wants to play online with me and I dont want to have to resort to xbox.

What are you running for antivirus? Avast, Avira and AVG are known to cause issues with Forza games.

Last edited:
I like it too, but the special ones... honestly I don't know what is the point of a reward (or a gift) of a driver gear which is already obtained and present in the game since the beginning?

I wouldn't complain if that would be a Climbkhana or Tanner Foust gear which are still locked for me :ill:

I agree. I have no idea why they ended the game with so may suits still locked.
Speaking of which, did the M. Rossi suit ever unlock?

Just a quick heads up on Halloween gift waiting in the game inbox:

30-10-2020_15-21-17-laox12nt.png

30-10-2020_15-23-13-3rwc2si3.png

Petrolicious and Hyundai N collaborated for a video about the Hyundai Veloster N and Forza. It's a sort-of old video, but it shows that video games can sometimes make you buy a car that is featured in the game.

The only thing that saddens me is that the Hyundai Veloster N is exclusive to North America and South Korea in real life.

Sooo, I've taken the plunge this week and picked up a second hand One X with FH4, FH3, FH2, FM6 and FM7.

I've never had an xbox before but now seemed the time to "catch up" with the Forza games before GT7 arrives.

If you have added me on PSN, it's the same username - cutback73

Happy for others to add me from here - just mention GTP please :cheers:

I dont race online, however will be good to have times to compare against and you might see me as a new Drivatar :D

Sooo, I've taken the plunge this week and picked up a second hand One X with FH4, FH3, FH2, FM6 and FM7.

I've never had an xbox before but now seemed the time to "catch up" with the Forza games before GT7 arrives.

I dont race online, however will be good to have times to compare against and you might see me as a new Drivatar :D

Looks like I'm your first follower on XBL :cheers:

Hey m8 I did the same sort of thing I was getting bored with the ps4 collection so was looking through the windows store and nearly got FH4 but the price was to high and FH3 was going for £6 so ended getting that to see if I like the series. It was good fun after a few weeks I got FM7 and have been enjoying it so far also got a tuner app from the play store to help setup the cars :) I will send a friends req make you some of that sweet Drivatar money

Oh quick update i installed the xbox app today not sure whats different from pressing the big button on my cheapo xbox pad and noticed FH4 was on sale 50% off £27 so add that to my list of forza games. All worked well with a little tweaking but wtf is going on with the buttons on my t300rs most do the same things in each game but they numbered them differently 4 is now 5 etc and sometimes the wheel button doesn't work at all and I have to press X on the pad to start an event....

Oh quick update i installed the xbox app today not sure whats different from pressing the big button on my cheapo xbox pad and noticed FH4 was on sale 50% off £27 so add that to my list of forza games. All worked well with a little tweaking but wtf is going on with the buttons on my t300rs most do the same things in each game but they numbered them differently 4 is now 5 etc and sometimes the wheel button doesn't work at all and I have to press X on the pad to start an event....

Dont have a wheel compatible with xbox, so cant help there, but I'm sure someone here knows the answer.

If you join the GTPlanet club on Xbox, you'll find lots of familiar names popping up in races and when you hit billboards and find roads etc :lol:

Will see you out there virtually after work 👍

I've been playing a heap of Forza Motorsport 3 & 4 lately and then going back to Forza 7 today was a mistake. I've forgotten how good the Aston DBR9 sounded in earlier versions of the game and the car in FM7 just sounds nothing like it does in 3/4. That angry metallic unrestrained shriek is gone replaced by just a generic V12 sound and pretty lifeless one at that. Hoping they go a different direction for sound in Forza 8.

I needed room on my XBox so I finally uninstalled FM7. First time my XBox One hasn't had a Motorsport game on it since I bought it seven years ago.

Having not played Forza 6 much I was surprised to learn that the Porsche GT1-98 was part of the Porsche Expansion pack (no longer available) and yet the car wasn't carried over to FM7. Which is a shame as driving it in Forza 3 is good fun. Beautiful car also.

And also the announcement this past week of the Aston Martin withdrawal from GTE-Pro also made me wonder why we have never seen the Vantage GT2/GTE in the Forza series considering the car has existed for over a decade. And yet the DBR9 however awesome as it is was kept on since FM3 til now even though its an even older car.

Did the intros for FM7 and FH3 yesterday to get my ForzaHub level up to 5 :D.

The rest of FH3 I will leave until FH4 goes "offline" or I get bored of it, as the only remaining Forzathon is the permanent one (so theres no time restriction on playing the game now).

However, I've noted that Forzathons are still running and changing in FM7, so I'll try to fit them in to my hectic schedule here in England...

And now I'm off out to, erm, no cant do that, ahhh, no cant do that either :ouch:

Switches on XBoneX...

I reinstalled FM7 but now on the Series S to see how it performs and wow, It feels quite renewed! It is a lighter install file because it drops the 4K assets from the One X (smart delivery). Although I run it from an external HD the load times are quite reduced and can access quick resume. 60 fps all day without any noticeable drops.

I've pciked up FM7 again after a long hiatus, it's still a decent but flawed single player experience but it loads super fast on an m.2 SSD. I'm running it on Wiondows 10 though, not an XBOX.

What's bad about M7? I don't like AI for instance but everything else looks very good and I don't know much better games.

What's bad about M7? I don't like AI for instance but everything else looks very good and I don't know much better games.
The single player career isn't very well thought out or engaging. A decent but flawed game, could have been so much better if it followed a structure more akin to FM4 (the best FM game to date IMO).

But I disliked buying the cars pre-modded (I know you could choose to have them stock but then they were useless in the career mode) and the fact that they then had only a single type of event that they could enter. So your 90's supercar could only ever race against 90's supercars. Your hot hatch could only race against hot hatches etc.

It was a stiff, unimaginative career mode that could have been so much better if they put some thought into it. The Free race on the other hand is excellent, but the career mode is poor.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's true. I never played good singleplayer in Forza so I don't expect much. But as a racing game it has everything I need. Good physics, great handling, awesome graphics, dynamic weather, lot of content.

There have been so many flaws that plagued the game since launch and possibly, even in its latest form that still exist, such as:

• Buggy framerate issues in the menus (especially when selecting cars)
  • Improper implementation of car divisions
  • Missing cars, especially from the game before it, (such as LMP900s, at least two GT3 cars, a few V8 Supercars, certain Formula E's, Mercedes SLR, Ford Country Squire, GMC Syclone, Hyundai Genesis, MG Metro 6R4, Tesla Model S, 2013 Ford Focus ST, Pontiac Aztek, 2015 Porsche Cayman GTS, 2014 Land Rover Range Rover SC, to name a few)
  • Not enough new Formula E's, NASCARs and IndyCars at launch (well we got four extra IndyCars for a total of eight later on)
  • Homologation is always forced on in the career modes, even when you choose to race in cars from only their respective division in Free Play
  • Pit-stops are still generic-looking even for such a modern-looking game
  • Incomplete time of day and weather on all tracks (some tracks have dynamic weather while some don't, and you don't have full control over the time of day)
  • Online racing still fails to separate the purists from the morons

Yes, even for a game that has exactly 786 cars (not including Forza editions), there are some cars that are missing or are just not enough. Could be licensing or other weird 🤬 going on with them. Even more so without Toyota, but we can't blame them for their licensing fiasco.

The career modes kind of felt stale and didn't have as much variety as Motorsport 4 as well, coupled that with the flawed homologation mechanic, I didn't even bother to touch the career mode at all.

Turns out two years of development for every new Forza isn't enough, and have begun to take its toll with its broken/generic/buggy game modes and mechanics that are spoiling its "Motorsport" experience.

While the content such as cars and tracks are already impressive in terms of size, making for the definitive Motorsport game in terms of cars and tracks, there are still those that are lacking, and get this, Motorsport 7 has had no new expansions (DLC with larger amounts of cars compared to a single car pack and occasional new tracks) so far. I do hope they continue to grow on it on the next Motorsport.

But still, Motorsport 7 can be very fun, especially in the Free Play modes. Just rent any car you want so you can jump in and go.

Last edited:
The single player career isn't very well thought out or engaging. A decent but flawed game, could have been so much better if it followed a structure more akin to FM4 (the best FM game to date IMO).

But I disliked buying the cars pre-modded (I know you could choose to have them stock but then they were useless in the career mode) and the fact that they then had only a single type of event that they could enter. So your 90's supercar could only ever race against 90's supercars. Your hot hatch could only race against hot hatches etc.

It was a stiff, unimaginative career mode that could have been so much better if they put some thought into it. The Free race on the other hand is excellent, but the career mode is poor.

I don't know, the divisions weren't perfect, not by a long stretch but I much prefer racing against a cars natural rivals rather than a bunch of random stuff all thrown into the mixer. I though the homologation system was a good first effort that needs some polish, and a little more freedom within divisions for tuning would have been nice. You'd never see a Beetle and a Willys on road course with a 911 or McLaren or something, anywhere but Forza. Many people like that, but many others do not. Especially when someone figures out the magic car and mod combo to dominate, or someone just doesn't understand how the PI system works and build a rocket with no brakes.

The career wasn't real great for sure though, and I'm even a fan of the divisions. My biggest problem was how forced it all felt, like the whole career was designed to show off their weather and art project tracks rather than creating compelling racing. For what I was interested in racing being able to set them to long and max the AI was kind of nice though, and it was nice to be able to sidestep stuff I really didn't care for.

I don't know, the divisions weren't perfect, not by a long stretch but I much prefer racing against a cars natural rivals rather than a bunch of random stuff all thrown into the mixer. I though the homologation system was a good first effort that needs some polish, and a little more freedom within divisions for tuning would have been nice. You'd never see a Beetle and a Willys on road course with a 911 or McLaren or something, anywhere but Forza. Many people like that, but many others do not. Especially when someone figures out the magic car and mod combo to dominate, or someone just doesn't understand how the PI system works and build a rocket with no brakes.

The career wasn't real great for sure though, and I'm even a fan of the divisions. My biggest problem was how forced it all felt, like the whole career was designed to show off their weather and art project tracks rather than creating compelling racing. For what I was interested in racing being able to set them to long and max the AI was kind of nice though, and it was nice to be able to sidestep stuff I really didn't care for.
Having homologated divisions was a good idea, they just implemented it badly. The problem ultimately was that you bought your car (pre-tuned) which was capable of winning the only division it qualified for as it was and that's the only place in the career mode you could race it. That one homolgated series (some cars had a couple but the series were against the same opponents and racing the exact same specs) waas the only place in the career your car was useful and you never got the chance to try it stock or in different states of tune. Where's the capability of swaping the engine out, yes you can do it but the car suddenly is useless in the career mode.

There needed to be more variety, there's no good reason why your VW Golf hot hatch can't compete in a fictional touring cars series with a different tune to the hot hatch series and then also a VW manufacturers series with a different tune again. It was very much a nice idea on paper but missed the mark massively IMO. The cars should not have been what were categorised, rather the series should have been.

It shouldn't have been you buy x car that's only good for y race, they should have simply created a bigger variety of series with stricter restrictions to enter than in previous games. That's how real race series work (barring things like a manufacturers or one make series) they don't often tell you that you can't enter this car because it's a hatchback or a supercar etc. Rather the car simply has to meet the regulations. As it is, the career mode just got boring, very fast.

Last edited:
I've now got FM 3/4/7 at the moment and guess which two iterations of the game I've played much more then the last one this past six months?

As nice as FM7 looks it's career mode just lacks the freedom and variety that earlier games like 3/4 have.

The earlier games got it so right. The main boundaries being class, drivetrain, vehicle type, manufacturer etc. That makes sense. I get the argument for homologation and I'm not totally against the idea but it can be incorporated into career mode so much better. Not all events should be homologated. It makes more sense when you're talking about racecars but those cars don't make up the majority of the game. Forza ain't no RaceRoom Experience for example. In a game like that homologation makes a lot more sense.

Make it optional- the player gets the choice and they're rewarded with extra credits for racing under the homologation rules if they so choose to.

Every class should have an open series at the very least- let people enter their creations provided it meets the PI cap. No other restrictions.

I've never completed career mode in FM7 because there's no fun or sense of adventure. Or being allowed to use your creativity to build up something and take on the world. It's super frustrating to buy a car and then you have a strict set of rules saying right this is max power, max tire width etc.

As a long time Forza Motorsport fan I take a lot more enjoyment out of Horizon these days as it reminds me of the fun and adventure of older FM games

And whilst I'm in rant mode I wish they'd bring back Sunset Infield

Last edited:
7 has the best physics and content (on the whole) but 4 had the best career mode, even if It did drag if you wanted to compete the whole thing.

FM7 is meh at best, Loved the free cars they added later on and the improvements to certain things were good too but hated the fact that the career mode was bad, It has the same tracks from FM6 (only Dubai got added) and the cars added to the season pass were mostly road cars.

As a long time Forza Motorsport fan I take a lot more enjoyment out of Horizon these days as it reminds me of the fun and adventure of older FM games

I've gone the other way recently. I've got to the stage with Horizon where getting 80%+ each week takes around 10% of the time I have available to play. I'm also kinda frustrated with the face that the races are all 2-4 minutes long. I want to get my teeth into something. So I've gone 'back' to FM7, and am working my way through it. I did a 23 lap race at Spa last night, which took an hour and was awesome.

FM7 is also a bit more forgiving than Assetto Corsa Competizione, where I seem to be off the pace and regularly facing the wrong way.

Back