Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 12,701 comments
Chris did a great job getting me hyped for the game!

Give It To Me Need GIF

Last edited:
"37 cars were currently shown so far (Chris Esaki's personal favorite is the Mercedes-AMG GT3), and the car list was teased to feature a larger number of motorsport and race-focused vehicles, details still vague"

I have a small feeling this may or may not make some happy given the past discussions of certain vehicles introduced during FM7's DLC roster. I would assume it also means not to expect FM7/FH5 numbers as I believe Chris said they picked those cars in the trailer specifically to give an idea of where they're going with the roster this time around, so I'm betting a bunch of vehicles from the most recent Forza titles are not being brought over.
I remember being critical about not wanting to lose a bunch of cars because I liked collecting them. If this is the path Chris is taking the series in its current form, than I will accept it for FM since it's taking a more serious route this time. For FH, I will treat that as my new car collector game from now on. Can't wait to see what kind of cars FM will have. It could even be more interesting than what GT7 currently has, especially for the racing.

I remember being critical about not wanting to lose a bunch of cars because I liked collecting them. If this is the path Chris is taking the series in its current form, than I will accept it for FM since it's taking a more serious route this time. For FH, I will treat that as my new car collector game from now on. Can't wait to see what kind of cars FM will have. It could even be more interesting than what GT7 currently has, especially for the racing.
I didn't get that from it tbh, I thought it was more about increasing the number of GT cars, not fewer cars overall. We saw some classics and road cars in the clips. The usual number might take a little hit, as everything is being built from scratch but I wouldn't be too worried.

I would really like to know if the cars are also built from the ground up. Currently, I don't think they are, and I fear they will be mostly carry overs. Both those that look good and those that have errors.

It's pretty obvious Turn 10 and Playground share car resources (the 370Z Nismo appearing in the FM trailer, and then being part of the Car Pass for FH5, as one example). So I think, in terms of car model quality, what you currently see in FH5, is what you'll get in FM and I fear that mistakes, still acceptable in FH5, may continue to be acceptable in FM.

With that also in mind, I don't think we may be looking at a smaller car list necessarily. Certain vehicle types that make little sense might disappear, but most cars will return.

Chris Esaki called the 37 cars a "small sampling" of the list, and also said: "We're super early in terms of showing this all of this content, but we've shown 37 cars already". To me, it's like he's saying: "We just got started and we've already got 37 cars revealed. Imagine by the time we're done, months from now." I think this car list may not be as small as some may have hoped.

I'm hoping that they start with categorical depth before DLC rounds out the breadth. Thinking in particular about how FM7 had an entire "Formula 90s" division that only contained two cars, one of which was from 1988. And there's still the question of whether these cars will be categorized in divisions that make sense, unlike how "GT Racing Reborn" somehow covered both the Group 5 era and late '80s/early '90s IMSA when there were more than enough representatives from each period to justify their own separate groups.

I would really like to know if the cars are also built from the ground up. Currently, I don't think they are, and I fear they will be mostly carry overs. Both those that look good and those that have errors.
I have the same feeling as well.
It's pretty obvious Turn 10 and Playground share car resources (the 370Z Nismo appearing in the FM trailer, and then being part of the Car Pass for FH5, as one example).
Don't forget the Brabham BT62. Other cars seen that were carried over from Horizon also include the Koenigsegg Jesko, NIO EP9 and Nissan GT-R NISMO.
So I think, in terms of car model quality, what you currently see in FH5, is what you'll get in FM and I fear that mistakes, still acceptable in FH5, may continue to be acceptable in FM.
In Forza, the time it takes to build a car is roughly similar to Gran Turismo (around six months to build one car from scratch, but with Forza, it requires four people to achieve that, as opposed to just one person working on it), but they outsource like crazy, hence, the faster production and release of cars. They do this with methods such as by using CAD from manufacturers, or using physical cars with means such as laser-scanning or through photography (taking up to hundreds, if not, thousands of photos for reference), hence, the quality always varies. No two models of cars are ever the same, even down to the VIN.
With that also in mind, I don't think we may be looking at a smaller car list necessarily. Certain vehicle types that make little sense might disappear, but most cars will return.
In that case, I think if they're not ready to add rally and off-road tracks, then these off-roaders and rally cars (even some of the more rugged SUV's and pick-up trucks), can be left out first before they add tracks where they can feel right in their natural habitat. But what's worrisome is that as of the moment, Chris Esaki hasn't said any single thing about rally/off-road racing, also an integral part of motorsports.

In terms of SUV's and pick-up trucks, only the sportier ones and more focused on performance and road use will likely carry over (e.g. Lamborghini Urus, Ford F-150 SVT Lightning, etc).

Certain types of cars with little to no competition might also not make a lot of sense. Which is why I think that adding the latest F1 cars would be a bad idea (and was actually a bad idea), as we only get just one due to EA Codemasters' exclusive licensing.

As for the Hot Wheels cars, that's going to be a tough one, given that some may be completely radical concept machines, or tuned, one-off classics (such as the HW Legends vehicles) but I believe the recently-introduced Bad to the Blade seen in the FH5 Hot Wheels expansion would be a perfect fitting for FM, as it's a futuristic IndyCar concept with a lot of downforce, therefore, making it perfect for one-make open-wheel racing. Imagine the possibilities.

I sincerely hope they don't do that stupid "latest or fastest" rule where they throw out older models from a car's particular model family series (the reason why we've lost some good cars in the start of the Xbox One era). The most-requested legacy model that fans want to see returning would be the original Lamborghini Murcielago from 2005.

Assuming there are no licensing issues, we'll have a sizeable, diverse and sexy car list (hopefully). Every Motorsport title has focused on adding race cars, something Horizon titles barely even have, and that's what sets Motorsport apart, but what makes Forza, Forza, is the large variety of cars we're used to seeing in recent titles, as Motorsport is supposed to be a game that represents the best of motorsports and car culture together.

It's like, we can have a car list that brings out the best in what Forza has to offer, except, let's make it more race car and motorsports-heavy to really define the Motorsport name. Remember, it's two games (Motorsport and Horizon), but under one brand, the almighty Forza name.
Chris Esaki called the 37 cars a "small sampling" of the list, and also said: "We're super early in terms of showing this all of this content, but we've shown 37 cars already". To me, it's like he's saying: "We just got started and we've already got 37 cars revealed. Imagine by the time we're done, months from now." I think this car list may not be as small as some may have hoped.
I forgot how many cars were seen on the release trailer/first gameplay demo of FH5, but that also wasn't small. People want a large amount of content, and we don't want a repeat of Motorsport 5 where in terms of both cars and tracks, everything was severely dumbed down. I'm still hoping it's a huge amount of cars, something that will really blow GT7 out of the water (for reference, GT7 currently has 430 cars, and at the end of FM7's lifetime, it was 786 cars, not including any Forza editions).

And like in previous Forza titles, they will not show everything right off the bat, just to whet the appetite, although it's gonna be a long wait until then (spring 2023 with no exact time-frame).

Last edited:
I have the same feeling as well.
I noticed they talked about how they rebuilt the tracks, the lighting system, the physics engine but... what about the cars? About that they only say "Looks at the new cars we added", basically.
Don't forget the Brabham BT62. Other cars seen that were carried over from Horizon also include the Koenigsegg Jesko, NIO EP9 and Nissan GT-R NISMO.
You can add the Porsche 911 GT3 (992) to that list.
In Forza, the time it takes to build a car is roughly similar to Gran Turismo (around six months to build one car from scratch, but with Forza, it requires four people to achieve that, as opposed to just one person working on it), but they outsource like crazy, hence, the faster production and release of cars. They do this with methods such as by using CAD from manufacturers, or using physical cars with means such as laser-scanning or through photography (taking up to hundreds, if not, thousands of photos for reference), hence, the quality always varies. No two models of cars are ever the same, even down to the VIN.
The question is that some models have quite poor proportions. The Saleen S7 comes to mind. I would like them to overhaul those models, and I feel that time is long overdue.
I forgot how many cars were seen on the release trailer/first gameplay demo of FH5, but that also wasn't small. People want a large amount of content, and we don't want a repeat of Motorsport 5 where in terms of both cars and tracks, everything was severely dumbed down. I'm still hoping it's a huge amount of cars, something that will really blow GT7 out of the water (for reference, GT7 currently has 430 cars, and at the end of FM7's lifetime, it was 786 cars, not including any Forza editions).

And like in previous Forza titles, they will not show everything right off the bat, just to whet the appetite, although it's gonna be a long wait until then (spring 2023 with no exact time-frame).
I would accept a cut in car count, if it means all the cars become immaculate in their detail. However, if that's not the case, then give me all the cars. In an ideal world, fix the models that have problems and keep all the others that are good.

Certain types of cars with little to no competition might also not make a lot of sense. Which is why I think that adding the latest F1 cars would be a bad idea (and was actually a bad idea), as we only get just one due to EA Codemasters' exclusive licensing.
To be fair, the main problem with the RS17 in FM7 (and with the Lotuses in FM5 and 6, for that matter) is that it hit the limitations of the tire and downforce model like a wrecking ball, and this, coupled with poor collision physics, lack of strategic depth (where in real life F1 races are a constant battle of fuel and tire management) and poverty of circuits suitable for F1 racing, meant that it was not too fun to race it after all.

Thankfully, FM should solve all (or at the very least, most of) those issues, and having a contemporary F1 car could be interesting for organized online racing - after all, only having the Mercedes W12 hasn't been an obstacle to iRacing, Assetto Corsa has many high quality "spec Formula" mods which are extremely popular, etc.

I still don't see how they could make it work convincingly in the eventual career mode - but I am also of the firm idea that it's fine if not all cars have a perfectly cut niche in the offline experience.

I'm sure we will see quite a few techniques to improve performance.

Series X does support FidelityFX Super Resolution.

Also, Variable Rate Shading.

And, Mesh shaders.

For clarification, the PS5 is not technically full RDNA 2.0 and does not have hardware support for VRS or Mesh Shaders.

Last edited:
But what's worrisome is that as of the moment, Chris Esaki hasn't said any single thing about rally/off-road racing, also an integral part of motorsports.
I actually find that to be a relief rather than a worry.

I never understood the need to shoehorn rally stuff into the FM series, and Gran Turismo has been the perfect example of how little it adds to a circuit racing title. Rally stuff has been there for years and is still little more than a novelty or brief distraction, and I don't see why it would be any different in FM8 unless they dedicate a ton of time to it... time that most of the community would likely rather see them spending on expanding the circuit racing side of things.

Two of the most common criticisms for the Motorsport side of the series has been "lack of identity" with implications it stems from "trying to be all things to all people." Also, looking from the outside, it has seemed like one of the toughest things for T10 has been how they had fallen behind trying to please all the sub-communities (drifters, painters, career mode players, esports types, tuners, wheel drivers, etc) and neglected basically everything... And adding rally wouldn't help in either of those areas.

It would also dilute future DLC. If they put rally in but add nothing to it then people say they neglect it, but if they put 2-3 rally oriented vehicles in every DLC batch then you have the community complaining/arguing with both sides feeling they aren't getting enough. At the rate they have added tracks in the past, if they announce a new DLC track then it turns out to be a rally route/rallycross circuit, it will probably be an even bigger bitchfest than for a few DLC cars given how rare track DLC has been in the past.

Up to this point, T10 hasn't been able to get road racing "right" and it finally seems like they are making the steps and FM8 is looking very promising... but let's give them a chance to finish that up and stick the landing before we put another discipline on their plate.

In my opinion it would be far better for them bring back the RalliSport Challenge series as Forza RalliSport or something so they can properly dedicate the time needed to make rallying more than just a little novelty that most of the playerbase does 3 times before they go back to racing GT3 cars at Spa or Monza.

Honestly, if Forza was to include RallyCross or CORR-adjacent tracks and events in Motorsport, that would make the game a nearly-guaranteed purchase from me. I've always hated that the games include Trophy Trucks, RX Supercars and the like (almost all of which being carryovers from Horizon), but there's nowhere to appropriately use them.

They've been hinting at the idea of a third Forza franchise for a while.
Perhaps they should tie up with KT racing now they've lost the official WRC contact. KT's stage designs and handling with Turn 10's Forza tech engine and sound would be something special indeed.

View attachment 1161995
Replicated it as close as possible. Maybe it's just me but, apart from the okay-ish paint that looks plastic, it seems the same.
The position of the sun is a bit different as well.
People are overreacting when it comes to those lesser accurate models. Sure i also want them to redo them at a higher quality til the smallest bold. But some people act like they are some standard car level models. In a game where there are 600+ cars, those roughly 30 less accurate cars are really not that big of a deal. I also wanted them to redo everything and go even further beyond, even higher level of detail than the most detailed car in Forza. But than that model would be waste in game and too heavy to handle and they would use lower quality lod in game. Right now they use photomode model car in game which is pretty nuts and looks more than good when you are actually playing outside those small portion of bad models. I just hope they focus more on the cockpit polygons and shaders and make them look rounder and use real materials unique to the car instead of copy paste from other models.

People are overreacting when it comes to those lesser accurate models. Sure i also want them to redo them at a higher quality til the smallest bold. But some people act like they are some standard car level models. In a game where there are 600+ cars, those roughly 30 less accurate cars are really not that big of a deal. I also wanted them to redo everything and go even further beyond, even higher level of detail than the most detailed car in Forza. But than that model would be waste in game and too heavy to handle and they would use lower quality lod in game. Right now they use photomode model car in game which is pretty nuts and looks more than good when you are actually playing outside those small portion of bad models. I just hope they focus more on the cockpit polygons and shaders and make them look rounder and use real materials unique to the car instead of copy paste from other models.
I agree. Unless you're wanting this exact replication for photography reasons, I really don't see what the fuss is about. At 100+ mph if I'm passing a car I'm not looking at how exact the modeling is to the real car, I'm trying to beat it. I'll look at it in the rear view mirror.

Back