Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 14,189 comments
You're forgetting that FM2023 is coming to PC, unlike Gran Turismo.

Those RT elements are feasible on PC and will make high end PC graphics offer tangible benefits over the Series X console. Once the game releases I'm sure we'll get some amazing 4k footage from RTX4090 owners.
Exactly this, my PC is fairly modest (6700XT+5800x) but considering I'll be running at a resolution quite a bit lower than 4k (3440x1440) I'm hoping to crank the graphics to make use of the headroom, especially considering MP is locked at 60fps, that leaves a lot of performance unused at 1440p 60fps.

Exactly this, my PC is fairly modest (6700XT+5800x) but considering I'll be running at a resolution quite a bit lower than 4k (3440x1440) I'm hoping to crank the graphics to make use of the headroom, especially considering MP is locked at 60fps, that leaves a lot of performance unused at 1440p 60fps.
The game with RT on is not running at 4K on XSX, they say it's typically at around 1440p internally so with ultrawide and a fairly-comparable-to-XSX 6700XT I'd be surprised if you had much headroom to push things further.

They did the same thing with literally showing FM23 on the Corvette which has rough reflections.
The rough reflections on the corvette cutscene are on specific surfaces on the cockpit though, it's much easier to explain when showing it on something like car paint.

Wait, was he comparing FM in-race with a GT7 replay?
He was, but not for the sake of comparing the two games, but to show that the reason GT doesn't have RT in game is because of their decision they made to support the RT on textured surfaces for replays. Forza took the route of being in the middle with RT features, allowing for them to have RT in game.

Personally, I don't care about RT.

He was, but not for the sake of comparing the two games, but to show that the reason GT doesn't have RT in game is because of their decision they made to support the RT on textured surfaces for replays. Forza took the route of being in the middle with RT features, allowing for them to have RT in game.

Once all ray tracing technologies can be taken advantage of with full performance it will be the most revolutionary technology for gaming in a while.

Reflections, global illumination, ambient occlusion, and even audio itself.

I'm sorry but Digital Foundry is being a bit disingenuous that the reason GT7 doesn't have it is due to rough reflections.

They are the same tech, PD could have limited the RT implementation as well. The best reason it doesn'thave in-game RT is the game being cross-gen and they decided to not sacrifice performance or resolution for in-game RT.

Also, FM23 literally has rough reflections RT in-game as they show themselves, just not on console. We've already known that the PC implementation of RT would be better than console. PS5 also has less Ray tracing hardware than Xbox Series X. Every compute unit has its own RT hardware, XSX has 52 and PS5 has 36.

Last edited:
Menu music 👍

Race engineer
Social Media Shut Up GIF by Idil Keysan

Would an in-game Gamma slider help reduce the washed out look if we turn it down? Or will turning screen brightness down/contrast up be enough, if there's no options in game to make it look different based on user preference?

Would an in-game Gamma slider help reduce the washed out look if we turn it down? Or will turning screen brightness down/contrast up be enough, if there's no options in game to make it look different based on user preference?
The game will have 2 modes, like all other Forzas:
  1. SDR mode: You get a brightness slider and that's it
  2. HDR mode: You get white point, brightness and probably saturation sliders

My experience with Forza is that it looks bland/washed out/overblown (depending on the weather) in SDR mode, but really vibrant and coherent in HDR mode. Do yourself a favour and play it on a proper HDR screen.

I have a 4k HDR panel with my Xbox Series X, and a 1440p HDR 165Hz panel with my PC. I'll definitely be playing Forza in HDR on both, as I have done for years with FM7, FH4 and FH5. FH5 in particular can look spectacular under various lighting conditions.

Last edited:
Damage model and "the way the paint scrapes" or whatever claim that was doesn't ring particularly well when watching this bump at 0.5x speed, a slight bump to the lower rear bumper and there's scratches appearing all up at the lights?

Damage model and "the way the paint scrapes" or whatever claim that was doesn't ring particularly well when watching this bump at 0.5x speed, a slight bump to the lower rear bumper and there's scratches appearing all up at the lights?

Surely it won't be perfect. For me, I am more curious about the damage to the mechanicals of the cars. That is what makes or breaks the race immersion. Hit a wall, lose a control arm, car pulls. Miss a shift, transmission shot.

My experience with Forza is that it looks bland/washed out/overblown (depending on the weather) in SDR mode, but really vibrant and coherent in HDR mode. Do yourself a favour and play it on a proper HDR screen.
Yeah I managed to get a fairly low nit count "HDR 10" 4K monitor from ViewSonic for pretty cheap for a 32" and FH5 does look good, so if this stays like that I'll certainly be happy.

I never really noticed too much difference in the calibration images side by side in FH5, but a tiny bit, probably due to it being 300 nits I think.

Yeah I managed to get a fairly low nit count "HDR 10" 4K monitor from ViewSonic for pretty cheap for a 32" and FH5 does look good, so if this stays like that I'll certainly be happy.

I never really noticed too much difference in the calibration images side by side in FH5, but a tiny bit, probably due to it being 300 nits I think.
Yeah, 500 nits is really minimum to get a decent HDR experience. Probably 800+ nits will be better still but I don't have a panel like that myself. Not very fond of OLEDs.

On your 300 nit panel I advise you to turn brightness up to maximum then calibrate HDR games to be a bit too dark, that may well give you the most brightness range in terms of tuning results.

Last edited:

Mmm, for HDR I wouldn't go lower than 500 nits (one of my TV's a Sony X85K has that peak brightness). My PC monitor is 300 nits too, but it's VA so it has great contrast, so whenever I game, I crank brightness to 90-99%, that way colors and lighting come alive.

On your 300 nit panel I advise you to turn brightness up to maximum then calibrate HDR games to be a bit too dark, that may well give you the most brightness range in terms of tuning results.
Yeah I'll come up with something to get it looking good, only recently realised Dirt 2.0 had a Gamma slider - I was turning the monitor up solely to play it compared with other games as it seemed too dim. The Gamma could make some parts too light though, but think I've got it looking the best looking it's been. Also recently found out via WRC discord that ACC lets us even on Xbox fine tune the look, lowering sharpness improved the game for me big time, among other slight tweaks including temperature, I'm still unsure if I like warmer or neutral tones most. Only thought we had FOV control, kinda one reason I opted for Xbox was to avoid a life of menu settings, but they're great cheap PCs.

If all else fails, someone's TV will get used for full HDR, just maybe not with a wheel.

I'm not blown away by the graphics in Xbox Performance RT mode, although I can understand why DF would want to try it out since graphics are their main area of interest. Their upcoming November video comparing FM to GT7 sounds like it'll result in World War III (bearing in mind that this is a launch title and GT7 has been through numerous revisions) but comparing FM7 at launch to the latest update makes me hopeful that there's similar room for improvement with FM2023 as the devs learn how to optimize the game with subsequent updates and start to push the console further.

Until then I suspect I'm going to be sticking with the vanilla performance mode.

Last edited:
Damage model and "the way the paint scrapes" or whatever claim that was doesn't ring particularly well when watching this bump at 0.5x speed

Not digging up that thread but I distinctly remember everyone calling out that "most realistic paint scratches ever" claim in that early preview video for the marketing BS it was :D

I'll just do as always and turn visual damage off - I'll rather have indestructible cars than the distractingly half-assed damage models that are apparently forced onto devs these days by the car manufacturers.

Because noone can judge gameplay until its playable. Right now the easiest thing to judge are graphics.
But I would love them to talk about the dynamic weather, we are days from launch and still nothing.
I'm blocking you as-is. I do not have time to hear about your complaints about dynamic weather when it's already confirmed for pretty much every track.

Last edited:
If it's who I think it is it's because they have nothing better to do and are a GT troll. I have them blocked.
It is, same obsession with dynamic weather. This little remark aged like milk, though.
Same old Forza lighting giving it an (IMO) cheap look.
Honda.webp

Edit*
And this one....
Besides the fact that the wheel only goes 90° left or right, the car is way too planted going through corners.

Last edited:
Because noone can judge gameplay until its playable. Right now the easiest thing to judge are graphics.
But I would love them to talk about the dynamic weather, we are days from launch and still nothing.
You can't judge graphics on a preview build that was confirmed to already be quite old when it was released for preview.

So really... we can't judge anything because we as a community don't have the final game.

(For clarification, by judge I mean in the context of forming a conclusion on how something is; clearly we cannot form a conclusion without the final product.)

Last edited:
Back