Forza Motorsport General Discussion Thread

• Thread starter Terronium-12
  • 12,695 comments
I agree, they definitely need more tracks than just 20. I'm sure they will add more over time like GT7 does, it just needs to be in a timely manner.

I'm sure we'll get more in the future, but I don't think 20 is all that bad considering they're all gonna have time and weather, there's gonna be classic layouts and stuff so that layout number is gonna be quite a bit higher.

Also, as GT7 has proven, tracks are nothing without purpose.

Also, as GT7 has proven, tracks are nothing without purpose.
I will take a game with a tightly designed career and structured goals but limited car/track content over a sandbox with huge numbers of cars and tracks.

A good sandbox is a wonderful thing, but I have literally dozens of good sandbox simulation racing games at this point. I don't really need another one. 500 cars and 20 locations is more than enough to make a great game, if they're used right.

Literally dozens. Like 24? 36? I didn't know there were dozens of sandbox simulation racing games. I have the 6 that I use but let me know what the other 30 are. Always looking for more.
I know you're trying to be a smart arse, but let me open Steam.

Assetto Corsa
ACC
Automobilista
Automobilista 2
BeamNG
Copa Petrobras de Marcas
Dirt Rally
Dirt Rally 2
FM7
GP Legends
GT Legends
GTR
GTR2
Live for Speed
netKar Pro
pCARS
pCARS 2
R3E
Race 07
RBR
rFactor
rFactor 2

That's 22. (Note: not all of those are sold through Steam, I just link external games through Steam as a launcher for convenience.)

Then there's stuff I actually own on console with the hardware to play it:

Gran Turismo 3
Gran Turismo 4
Gran Turismo 5
Gran Turismo 6
FM 2
FM 3
FM 4

There's another 7, so we're up to 29 already. I do have GT 1 and 2, but they're neither much of a simulation nor much of a sandbox by modern standards. And yes, I gave up on buying consoles after the PS3/360 era, or there would be GTS/GT7 and FM5/FM6 in there.

Then there's a bunch of stuff that is either not as sandboxy or not as simulation-y.

Codies F1 games. I think I have about six of them over the last decade and a bit over several platforms.
WRC7
Ferrari Challenge Trofeo Pirelli
iRacing (sub lapsed at the moment, but my account has a fair bit of content)
Forza Horizon 1, 3, 4 and 5 - simulation is marginal but as a sandbox they're fantastic.

So that's another 13 maybes, so realistically what I have is somewhere between 28 and 41 depending on what you want to consider as qualifying. A lot of these are still worth playing if you haven't, they almost all have at least one unique feature that makes them interesting. The older ones will be harder to get into unless you're interested in sim racing history - they can take a bit of work to get running well on modern hardware and control systems, but it can be fun seeing just how good some of the old sims really were.

In terms of ones I actually play more than once a year though, there's not that many. AC/ACC, AMS2, BeamNG, DR2, F12020, pC2, FM7, FH5. The only thing that those games don't cover well is online racing, but I just don't have time for that these days so I don't care.

And a career mode, obviously, but very few games do that well which was the whole point of my original post.

I think ones perception of sandbox games is different to the others? To me a sandbox game is one where you choose your own progression. It doesn't have to be open world like Forza Horizon but it cannot follow "you must qualify in race X to go to race Y".

Last edited:
I think ones perception of sandbox games is different to the others? To me a sandbox game is one where you choose your own progression. It doesn't have to be open world like Forza Horizon but it cannot follow "you must qualify in race X to go to race Y".
There are games where making the gameplay yourself is the only type of gameplay available. There are games where you have very little choice in how you play and you must follow the developers (probably fairly linear) path. And there are games where both exist, usually in separate modes.

GT7 is an easy example. There's the Cafe "career" which is pretty straight line and defined. There are additional missions and such, but they're also on defined tracks with (mostly) defined machinery. None of this is sandbox stuff. The developers made it, and you play it the way they want you to play it.

But there's also the custom race maker, where you have an enormous amount of freedom to make pretty much whatever you want. That's a sandbox. You have immense freedom to make whatever you want, but with the tradeoff that you have to create the gameplay yourself. Earlier Gran Turismos and Forza Motorsports have a diluted version of this through arcade modes and such, and so I still consider them to allow sandbox gameplay. You can make whatever race you want, you just don't have as much control as something like GT7.

Anything that I'm calling a sandbox has the ability to do stuff like that, even if for a lot of the older games it's through mods and addons. The games may also include defined career paths and other non-sandbox elements, but that's not the point. The point is that they allow sandbox-type play.

Forza Horizon 5, for example, does have a mildly restrictive "career" - there's some structure to the order you have to do things (but only barely once you unlock the festival sites or whatever they're called) although it's pretty permissive in how it lets you do them. But if you want to make your own stuff then it really allows you to do a lot. Car modification and tuning, race creation, track building, there's a lot there. More than most games, and the sandbox element is far more accessible to the casual user.

When I said that I have many good sandbox games, perhaps more accurately what I meant was that I have many games that include good sandboxes in what they offer. I did not mean to imply that these games are sandboxes only. Sometimes that's all they have, but usually not - very few games are pure sandboxes because they sell really poorly, which is why I didn't think to specify.

When deciding if I want more games with F1 cars in them I don't only consider the games that I own that only include F1 cars. I consider anything I have that allows me to drive F1 cars. The same is true of sandboxes. And good career modes.

"Join us for the February 2023 edition of Forza Monthly! We’ll preview the new Horizon Wilds Takeover content update for Forza Horizon 5, hear from Golden Tank Award winner TypeHardfark on our Community Spotlight, rundown the latest Forza community events, and more!"

Seems like no FM news :(

"Join us for the February 2023 edition of Forza Monthly! We’ll preview the new Horizon Wilds Takeover content update for Forza Horizon 5, hear from Golden Tank Award winner TypeHardfark on our Community Spotlight, rundown the latest Forza community events, and more!"

Don't expect any other news before may. They will hold a event for Starfield, Forza Motorsport and Hellblade in may or june.

They're announcing the new FH5 expansion so it's unlikely they'll want to announce anything FM related as it would detract from the FH5 news

I think it says 2011 POR_ (something i cant make out) on Maple valley short circuit. It could be the POR_045_GT3RSR_11 (flying lizard 997 RSR)
1674837965176.png
I'm very late here but just wanted to confirm - it's 3311 (internal ID) FER_FXXKEvo_18. You can also see "Game to Fuel" on a drop-down menu next to it so this must be a glimpse of their priorietary editor, Fuel.

So how about those coming months, Chris?

The wait continues yet again.
I don't have hopes for the next stream either because im sure the focus will be on the FH expansion.
Definitely. I think it won't be until probably late April until we hear about FM again. Could even push it to another trailer at MS's Game Showcase in June.

I want this game to be better than fm4, but so far they haven't really shown anything that'll make me hopeful it will be.

I think we get this game at earliest september october, i have not been impressed with what i seen so far, its mostly only false marketing by turn 10 like they always like doing,

I want this game to be better than fm4, but so far they haven't really shown anything that'll make me hopeful it will be.
More tracks and cars are always nice. But I'd rather not go back to no weather and time of day changes.

I feel like I'm in the small camp of people that want fewer cars actually, so they could provide better customization and such for each car; quality over quantity style.

They're probably gonna make a Festival Playlist out of this given the deleted cars.

Also, the reason why we're still getting these outdated assets like the 190E and the Countach is very simple. Sometimes, inaccurate modeling is done on purpose, because T10 didn't secure the license at the time, yet the cars were modeled anyway (usually via photo references) as filler and a Performance Index entry, according to someone on the forza.net forums. Copyright ownership is very much precise and very complex.

It might sound like nonsense but it's kinda what this is. That's the reason the Silvia S15, R32, Ferrari 575M and F355 look terrible because they were all designed in the FM2 era and those models were likely made before the license was acquired. You see this a lot with various games (ATS has a couple of new AI cars that look awkwardly modeled) and many create models not in a 1:1 representation of the car model.

Personally I'd prefer if those awful FM2 era cars were thrown out, despite the fact that many of them are 90s-2000s cars, and rebuilt.

What if they do neither?
There's a strong chance that the customisation will be improved, they've hinted at it in the presentations and even if they, at the very least, implement some of the improvements Horizon has made and added (more engine swaps, anti-lag, more visual customisation), it's still a step in the right direction.

I'd hope that they focussed on a cars ability/potential to be turned into a racing car when they were deciding what to cut and what to keep.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back