Forza Motorsport Review: Rebooted and Resuited

• Thread starter Famine
  • 196 comments
After another couple of hours tonight I still like it, know that’s kinda going against the grain here but hey. I think the handling is quite a lot better, it still feels like Forza in that the cars feel like lead weights when they collide with each other and it maybe defaults to a touch of understeer but I don’t feel like I’m getting any of those frustrating moments when you just can’t get the car slowed/turned because you miss the braking point by an inch, and the front end seems to bite better. So that’s good. Again, I think maybe the lower powered cars handle more convincingly than the faster more powerful/grippy cars but that’s always been the Forza way, I feel like PD probably has an edge on putting out a physics engine that feels more enjoyable to drive, but the gap is definitely closed here, so that’s good.

The ‘drive anything, anywhere, against whatever opposition you want’ thing still seriously makes me happy because they’ve taken away most of the catches to that pretence from previous games. You can basically set up the custom race you want, you can do day/night cycles, variable weather etc. I did notice that as soon as it started raining at Le Mans the AI were passing me like I wasn’t there as I bogged down and skidded around like Bambi on ice but whatever, hopefully they patch that a bit or maybe it was just me driving badly. The pitstops are nice, the feeling of strategy with tyres etc much stronger than in previous games.

Graphically I think it’s a bit disappointing. Does it actually look any better than Forza 7? I’m not sure. In some respects it does, there’s clearly much more depth to the scenery etc, but the graphical depiction of 23 cars racing around the track, I’m not sure. The scenery is slightly more juddery than I think is ideal in ‘graphics mode’ and the visuals still don’t quite hit the mark, but it’s okay. T10 have always been amazing at getting the most out of the console they’re developing on, but this is underwhelming really.

But this is a Forza game that does a lot of what I always originally liked Forza for in the early days - aim of something similar to Gran Turismo but dispense with a lot of the quirkier stuff and make it feel more modern and less…..pretentious? Take away the silliness and offer a more solid racing/car focused game that doesn’t take itself quite so painfully seriously.

Deep down I still come down on the Gran Turismo side of the fence but this vs GT7 I think is a more complicated question because this ticks a lot of the boxes I wanted ticking even if it’s probably not quite as good in terms of its pure driving experience.

Last edited:
My issue with the 1/6th of a game that has been released can be easily understood:

The game came out on 5 day early release yesterday. There are 90 races plus practice which take about 10 minutes each including practice.

THIS GAME IS FIFTEEN HOURS LONG currently.

After which you will have to grind the same 90 races over and over. (At least you don't have to limit yourself to only 4 races though, to be fair).

One of the leagues in Forza Motorsport 5 has 90 races. There are 8 leagues in Forza Motorsport, although some have fewer races than others.

FM23 IS CURRENTLY 1/6th THE SIZE OF Forza Motorsport 5.
Repeat 1/6th.
Which is often quoted by people on here as the worst game in the series.

And its not like Rivals and other modes are bigger either.

Therefore on that measure, objectively you could easily argue that THE GAME of FM23 is the worst FM SINGLE PLAYER GAME ever made?

Or to put it another way, most people will have finished this game BEFORE IT'S RELEASED ON TUESDAY.

In fact you can finish this game IN ONE SINGLE DAY.

Think about that for a minute...

The cars handle much better. It looks good on my Series S.

But I regret paying for the upgrade at the moment. The actual GAME needs to improve massively. And by that I mean they actually need to release the other 5/6th of it.

As someone else put in a post, have Turn10 not paid any attention to what happened with GT7?

As an aside there are 121 races in GT7 currently. You won't play more than 4 of them though. So the GAME in FM23 is in my opinion better than the GAME in GT7. Or more accurately - it's less bad.

if you haven't already bought the game, my honest advice would be to wait a year until they actually release FM23. Which is what I did with GT7.

To be fair IIRC T10 did state that they were going to add events/championships over time, each month I believe infact though I could be wrong.

After a few hours of playing, my first conclusion is; FM unfortunately did not meet my expectations.

Personally, I have the feeling that I am playing "FM7 plus". All the little points that have always bothered me about the Forza series are still there.

For example, why does the steering movement in the cockpit not coincide with that of my steering wheel... all other games manage that too... why does the animation only have 180 or 360 degrees (depending on the car) although the wheels definitely continue to turn when the optical stop is reached. Sure with pad this does not bother...

In general I find the steering wheel support not very good. But I've noticed that with the XBox in general.

At least you can now configure the buttons freely, but what good is it if half of the buttons match with the pedals and paddles🤪

The game makes very much the impression that it was designed for playing with pad.

Unfortunately, I also find that the graphics have not gained much compared to FM7. Personally, I find GT7 or ACC more beautiful. (Matter of taste)

I also do not like the AI. Most drive as if there is no Player, there rammed and crashed me. That the first (sometimes also the second) are always much faster than everything else is also rather disturbing.

In general, I find the handling of the Cars and the FFB 2-3 classes weaker than the competition.

It feels rather ponderous and less dynamic. The start Impreza has filled less sporty than my Fiat Tipo when this is fully loaded for the vacations.

In addition, it still has a lot of small buggs e.g. audio files, etc..

But anyway I will have a lot of fun with the career and rival races. And who knows maybe some things will be improved in the future. 🤞

Unless they have something planned they haven't told us about, it's just 1 new event per week.
They did say they would also add races to Builder's Cup. I imagine they will coincide with either car releases or in particular with new tracks. So I do believe the game will be a lot bigger eventually.

But the issue still remains for me that none of this is available YET. Which is why I suggested buy the game in 6 months or 12 months time, when they've actually released more than 1/6th of the game. There is nowhere near enough game for £70 at this current time.
I need to ask the important question.

Is the fearsome 'M Rossi' in Forza Motorsport?
Not seen any sign of them, yet...

Oh, that reminds me, the number of driver suits seems very small compared to FM7. Another part of the game where 5/6th hasn't been released yet... 🤔

Sad as it may be, there's also various reasons behind why much of it is missing from purposely trimmed cars like the Warthog to licensing issues like with Stellantis.

It also is not entirely truthful. It says the 2013 Dodge Viper SRT GTSR is not in, except in FM23, the car is there as a 2014. The Sian Roadster? It's a Sian coupe. The list also claims the 2019 Porsche 911 Speedster is missing when it isn't; it's available for 135,000 credits. The 1998 (996) GT1? That hasn't been in the series since Forza Motorsport 6, so that's hardly worth throwing a fit over now a near decade later. Then, you have oddities like the Subaru SVX that was last seen in Motorsport 7, but hasn't been in a Horizon game since FH3 according to the Forza Wiki. The 911 Sport Classic disappeared from the franchise altogether after FM4 until FH5 brought it back, so that's another car much fuss (except me personally as I loved it) wasn't made over.

I wouldn't take this list at face value. It is a lot of cars, but there's valid reasons for why much of it isn't there or likely hasn't been around (like the 996 GT1) for a long time.
I don't care about that famous word licensing. Bores me when it comes to racing games. The fans just use willy nilly as an excuse.

All of the cars should be in the new game. The game hardly looks next gen, just chuck some Xbox 360 models, no one will notice any difference.

I don't care about that famous word licensing. Bores me when it comes to racing games. The fans just use willy nilly as an excuse.

All of the cars should be in the new game. The game hardly looks next gen, just chuck some Xbox 360 models, no one will notice any difference.
Then, you're not someone worth having a conversation with b/c it is a valid excuse.

And based on your past posts in this section, you seem like someone just in here to be contrarian.

Just went looking for my stats... Number of cars owned, races won etc
Go on, look for yourself...
😮😮😮

Did you notice this @Famine ?

Just went looking for my stats... Number of cars owned, races won etc
Go on, look for yourself...
😮😮😮

Did you notice this @Famine ?
It's not listed in Xbox Gamescore stats either. They didn't add car collection totals to FH5 Gamescore stats and it turns out it was a trend, but now we don't even have in-game stats :(

I wonder if there's a "duplicate" sort option in the garage like they added to FH5?

Jimmy Fallon Wow GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Not that I'm praising the AI, but don't how you have such a great memory... Stop saving my posts on to your computer!
Forum search tools are very fast and powerful. You've mentioned rabbit 10 times, and this is roughly my 38th time posting Daihatsu Midget II.
It would be nice if GTPlanets review for GT7 was this honest.
Do you mean less positive? Don't put too much weight on the difference of half a star, in a subjective measurement made by a different person. There's more emotive language in Jordan's GT7 Review, that doesn't mean it was dishonest. Both reviews make it clear that they're good racing games with content and AI flaws.

Forum search tools are very fast and powerful. You've mentioned rabbit 10 times, and this is roughly my 38th time posting Daihatsu Midget II.
Sorry I don't keep track on my post history, and thus it never mattered to me. Though I'm not very fond of others keeping track of what I post. I appreciate the callout, but dang, not trying to start trouble with anybody...

It's not listed in Xbox Gamescore stats either. They didn't add car collection totals to FH5 Gamescore stats and it turns out it was a trend, but now we don't even have in-game stats :(

I wonder if there's a "duplicate" sort option in the garage like they added to FH5?
Nope. You also can't sort by date acquired. As with almost everything else your options are extremely limited.

So, you know how people love to keep track of how many hours they've played in the game. You can't do that in FM23 (you can probably do it in Steam via the SteamApp but you can't do it in game).

How many races you've done? You can't do that in FM23.
How many races you've won? You can't do that in FM23.

I just keep finding things where this game is missing BASIC fundamental components that you'd find in almost ANY racing game in this century!

There are stats available in FM5, FM6, FM7, FH1, FH2, FH3, FH4, FH5....
Every Dirt game
Every WRC Kylotonn game that I have (I only have 8 onwards)
Every NFS game I can think of.

Honestly that's just a WTF moment for me. Unforgivable.

So, you know how people love to keep track of how many hours they've played in the game. You can't do that in FM23 (you can probably do it in Steam via the SteamApp but you can't do it in game).
you can do that thru the Xbox app i think

My Xbox profile is at least tracking hours played, as a sum of my Xbox and PC play together. But the gaps in other stats are really bad.

I still don’t regret spending on the Premium Edition because the driving is so fun, but they have a lot to do to fill it out.

So far I've only been able to play for about an hour but I already have one major gripe.

Why are timed races still horrible? I never have and I doubt I ever will understand the logic of ending a race exactly when the clock hits 00:00 rather than the end of the lap (or time +1 lap) like every timed race in the history of racing.

On a positive note on Mugello at least racing in the rain is far more enjoyable than the rain in previous games.

Nope. You also can't sort by date acquired. As with almost everything else your options are extremely limited.

How many races you've done? You can't do that in FM23.
How many races you've won? You can't do that in FM23.

I just keep finding things where this game is missing BASIC fundamental components that you'd find in almost ANY racing game in this century!

There are stats available in FM5, FM6, FM7, FH1, FH2, FH3, FH4, FH5....
Every Dirt game
Every WRC Kylotonn game that I have (I only have 8 onwards)
Every NFS game I can think of.

Honestly that's just a WTF moment for me. Unforgivable.
Seeing a crap ton of stats for every vehicle was always something I really liked about Forza. I know most people probably didn't even know that they existed but sometimes I liked to just go through my garage and look at the stat sheets of random cars.

Realy sad that this game dont have a real MP. There is no serverbrowser and you cant open a public room.
Looks like this game is a deathbirth.

After a few hours of playing, my first conclusion is; FM unfortunately did not meet my expectations.

Personally, I have the feeling that I am playing "FM7 plus". All the little points that have always bothered me about the Forza series are still there.

For example, why does the steering movement in the cockpit not coincide with that of my steering wheel... all other games manage that too... why does the animation only have 180 or 360 degrees (depending on the car) although the wheels definitely continue to turn when the optical stop is reached. Sure with pad this does not bother...

In general I find the steering wheel support not very good. But I've noticed that with the XBox in general.

At least you can now configure the buttons freely, but what good is it if half of the buttons match with the pedals and paddles🤪

The game makes very much the impression that it was designed for playing with pad.

Unfortunately, I also find that the graphics have not gained much compared to FM7. Personally, I find GT7 or ACC more beautiful. (Matter of taste)

I also do not like the AI. Most drive as if there is no Player, there rammed and crashed me. That the first (sometimes also the second) are always much faster than everything else is also rather disturbing.

In general, I find the handling of the Cars and the FFB 2-3 classes weaker than the competition.

It feels rather ponderous and less dynamic. The start Impreza has filled less sporty than my Fiat Tipo when this is fully loaded for the vacations.

In addition, it still has a lot of small buggs e.g. audio files, etc..

But anyway I will have a lot of fun with the career and rival races. And who knows maybe some things will be improved in the future. 🤞
After a few more hours, I got a little more "feel" for the driving behavior. What I noticed as soon as the cars 20-30% tuned, then they feel the behavior better. And as soon as better tires are in play, it also increases expansively.
Since I did not notice so at the start impreza. 🫣🤓 possibly it was also because I first had to put down my GT7 and ACC driving experience.

The idea with the cups I personally find very cool. I like the concept. 🤩

In addition, I have also played something online. I noticed two points:
  • There are very fast penalties for collision
  • There is no display or radar where the cars are around you... that makes it very hard... did I miss a setting?

Cool thing is that you can use car settings, so you can tune the car to your own driving style. 👍

A graphic "bug" I have also discovered, the rear view mirror in the interior view without steering wheel is super pixel and the auto appear much closer.

In the rival races bothers me that you have to get out completely to load a new rival... I had in mind that this used to happen directly. 🤔

When you play, you feel a bit like a beta tester. 🙃🙄

Realy sad that this game dont have a real MP. There is no serverbrowser and you cant open a public room.
Looks like this game is a deathbirth.
I do not see it that way, it has a great selection of online races.

Ok, I have not played a personal lobby maybe there is a problem? 🤷‍♂️

Then, you're not someone worth having a conversation with b/c it is a valid excuse.

And based on your past posts in this section, you seem like someone just in here to be contrarian.
I am a Forza Motorsport fanboy, I wanted this game to be the best racing game on the market. So many incredible experiences online in Forza Motorsport 2 with the old MS 360 Wheel. Heaven forbid I want more cars, more tracks.

I can only laugh, and mock the actual outcome and enjoy what I can with the game (I was up till 2.30am playing Multiplayer last night)

• There is no display or radar where the cars are around you... that makes it very hard... did I miss a setting?
The old grey arrow/orange arrows are still there for nearby cars:

Settings > Gameplay & HUD > Proximity Arrows > On

I'm really enjoying the game. There's plenty to do outside career (which I've hardly touched). I'm getting in plenty of multi-player time & rivals times in before the village idiots GamePass rammers join in on Tuesday. This is just the start, I'm sure a lot of the missing things will be added whether it be cars, tracks or features.

Last edited:
The old grey arrow/orange arrows are still there for nearby cars:

Settings > Gameplay & HUD > Proximity Arrows > On

I'm really enjoying the game. There's plenty to do outside career (which I've hardly touched). I'm getting in plenty of multi-player time & rivals times in before the village idiots GamePass rammers join in on Tuesday. This is just the start, I'm sure a lot of the missing things will be added whether it be cars, tracks or features.
Cool, thanks a lot! It seems like I overlooked that. I'll turn it on right away tonight.

The tracks and cars, as well as new content will come I'm sure, was also announced.

But what I hope is that the physics and settings and especially the steering wheel support will be expanded adapted. A 1:1 mapping in the cockpit of my steering movement would be for number 1 on the wish list. This destroys the immersion. And that you can adjust the seat position.

It does have a slider for the "Field of View" but I noticed no change when I adjust the setting.

It does have a slider for the "Field of View" but I noticed no change when I adjust the setting.
I had the same issue - then I realised just above the FOV settings there's an option to actually activate them. D'oh :dunce:

Last edited:
I had the same issue - then I realised just above the FOV settings there's an option to actually activate them. D'oh :dunce:
ohh thank you very much! I will try that out tonight too.
Would at least make the whole thing more pleasant :)
But a good UX experience it is not, dear Turn 10 people....

Back