Forza Motorsport Review: Rebooted and Resuited

• Thread starter Famine
  • 196 comments
Its like some parts of the game are better than FM7 and previous entries, but then other parts of it are baffling design choices or just downright stupid.[...]
and willing to give them the chance(s) they need to add/correct things. Lets hope it gets better
Extremely based, you put my frustrations with the game into words better than I could've.

To continue that thought, I feel like the game suffers from severe identity crisis by trying to please everyone (almost feeling like "design by committee").

You want to make a more realistic race weekend experience with mandatory practice? Awesome! But then why the F is there no qualifying at all in single player?

You want me to reach a target time in practice before the race, so you properly learn car and track instead of just winging it? I love it! Doing that is my favourite thing about iRacing! But then why on earth do you limit practice to 10 minutes? You don't really learn a track in 10 minutes...

You want me to really care for a car, sticking to it while I upgrade and fine-tune, bonding with it throughout the career? Fantastic idea! But why, oh why do you, after five races, force me to run a very specific other series next, where that car is ineligible? So that just after I unlock some nicer upgrades, I'm basically forced to discard it?

I could go on like this forever. The game is contradicting itself all over and making it really hard to love it.

Forum search tools are very fast and powerful. You've mentioned rabbit 10 times, and this is roughly my 38th time posting Daihatsu Midget II.

Do you mean less positive? Don't put too much weight on the difference of half a star, in a subjective measurement made by a different person. There's more emotive language in Jordan's GT7 Review, that doesn't mean it was dishonest. Both reviews make it clear that they're good racing games with content and AI flaws.

I meant with less obvious bias. I mean I get it, the site revolves around GT,but it doesn't have to be so obviously biased to the point where I wouldn't trust the review. Just like I wouldn't trust a GT fans review of the GT movie. It's going to be biased by nature.

I do feel like the consensus on here about Forza is a bit negative, but did expect that. By nature this is a Gran Turismo fan community, personally I think GT7 is every bit as flawed as this new Forza.

But, BUT - I do get why this feels like a slight letdown too. Because for all the grand words about rebuilding from the ground up, modernizing/rebooting the series and the promise of something designed specifically for the new hardware, it falls a bit flat. It’s like they’ve rebuilt from the ground up and come up with something that feels like a very close approximation of what came before - only without a lot of content. I do miss the Nordschleife, massively, it’s my go to circuit for hot lapping. But I think it’s a good game, an 8/10 as it stands and a good basis for whatever support they give it in the next couple of years. But there’s something a bit GRID reboot about it, in that that it seems like they’ve gone to an awful lot of effort to come up with something that’s so similar.

Not at all surprised with the review here and in traxion.
It is what it is, Greenawald always talks like a used car salesman, forza is always a 3 lap roller derby having to pass/push all ai cars as fast as can.

Anyone who thought, as slthree here said a few months ago, following the hype marketing, that this could crush all hardcore sim competition, has to be delusional, naive, or clueless.

Sorry but that's how it's been, i had forza 1,2,3 and it's the same bs, after 6 or 7 years with no new game, and saying how this will be a paramount step up.., the most advanced sim on the market..

Its actually the opposite from what can be learned, even more arcadey, less sp content, more restrictions, worse wheel support, etc.

Game made to support subs, online, etc.
Couldn't be less surprised.

No offense slthree, if you like it, fair enough of course. But i knew it not be anything near the big talk.

Last edited:
Is there a workaround to make the cockpit rotation of the wheel match the wheel on the wheelbase?

I have seen a video, the guy has changed the steering lock area in the car tuning menu.. and then the wheel matches. but this is not working for me. Maybe because im on Xbox and he was on Pc?

Is there a workaround to make the cockpit rotation of the wheel match the wheel on the wheelbase?

I have seen a video, the guy has changed the steering lock area in the car tuning menu.. and then the wheel matches. but this is not working for me. Maybe because im on Xbox and he was on Pc?
This shouldn't make a difference as the base simulation is the same. There are two steering wheel options in the car tuning section, the video I saw said to change the bottom slider to around 60% to make the in game wheel match your rotation, but I haven't tested it yet.

This shouldn't make a difference as the base simulation is the same. There are two steering wheel options in the car tuning section, the video I saw said to change the bottom slider to around 60% to make the in game wheel match your rotation, but I haven't tested it yet.
That's exactly what I saw too... but it doesn't work. In fact, it's getting worse. I would have to move in the other direction, but I can't. 😅

It’s FH5 with race tracks, more race cars, and way better grip. Oh and no jumps, rally, or drifting either. They seemed to have fixed the “driving on ice” issue but you seem to have way too much grip in the rain on the opposite end of the spectrum. I haven’t really played an FM game since the first one so I can’t really compare to the other games so overall I definitely like it. The economy is much better than GT7 but the upgrade/leveling process could easily get grindy. At least by the time you level up a car you have enough money to buy a new car since upgrades don’t cost credits only cars do.

As AR12 pointed out in his video earlier: You can abuse the assisted driving (brake, steering, throttle, automatic gears) and earn carXP levels without doing anything. You just have to poke your controller every 15 minutes otherwise the game will timeout.

For those desperate to level up cars, leaving the game on all day driving around Le Mans or Road America levelling up cars automatically seems like it's a thing.

Cool, thanks a lot! It seems like I overlooked that. I'll turn it on right away tonight.

The tracks and cars, as well as new content will come I'm sure, was also announced.

But what I hope is that the physics and settings and especially the steering wheel support will be expanded adapted. A 1:1 mapping in the cockpit of my steering movement would be for number 1 on the wish list. This destroys the immersion. And that you can adjust the seat position.

It does have a slider for the "Field of View" but I noticed no change when I adjust the setting.
The next view to cockpit is the cockpit without the wheel. You not happy with that?

As AR12 pointed out in his video earlier: You can abuse the assisted driving (brake, steering, throttle, automatic gears) and earn carXP levels without doing anything. You just have to poke your controller every 15 minutes otherwise the game will timeout.

For those desperate to level up cars, leaving the game on all day driving around Le Mans or Road America levelling up cars automatically seems like it's a thing.
Who thought it would be a good idea to have assisted steering?Its just open to abuse as his video shows.

However there is the abuse of the system, always will happen unfortunately
Thats what I was getting at,apart from FH5 I dont think ive ever played a race game that allows total away from controller gameplay,im sure there are others but I cant name any at the moment. 👍

The next view to cockpit is the cockpit without the wheel. You not happy with that?
This me Plan-B but i like the normal Cockpit a bit more. 😅

But I can honestly not really understand why Turn 10 does not get it.

Also, the steering angle is not automatically adjusted when I drive a race car... you do not get the Car around the curves with the standard 900, then you have to go into the car tuning menu and specify there in percentages how much the 900 should be reduced.... 😅 here I actually already expect that this happens automatically. GT, AC and PJCars also manage this easily.

Last edited:
Forever GT player (with AC, NFS mixed in as well, first time FM user). I am incredibly sadden by this game. I figured somethings seen were just part of Horizon and not in the motorsport series. Just a few things so far I have noticed.

Zero real life brand advertisements anywhere (race suits and tracks). GT has a mix of both, but I would prefer real 100% so there's that.
You can upgrade the exhaust but visually nothing changes. The only thing I see that is consistently different is the liveries. GT7 car customization for the AI is incredible, and not always the same if you reload the race.
The AI loves to turn left or right on standing starts, punt, squeeze each other, and has no idea what the brake or reverse is (They never programmed the AI to backup if facing a wall)
If you dive right in the game and get racing, the main menu is never seen. You have to back out to see them.
The AI does not learn the track at all. Maple Oak? on the final corners proves this wildly well.
When I choose a wheel set, it automatically gave to me in gold (Enkei RPF1s) (hideous on the 370Z)) and no clear option to change them there (have not look at other areas yet, but suspect I can anyway)
Whatever the lap time challenge is the AI will never get more than 4.8 seconds close to it. Its like its afraid of besting the time.
Car customization, is the most wildly ineffective progression I have seen. I use the AI to build up driving time while working.

With Forza, I was expecting it to match or exceed what GT7 does in races and other areas, but GT7 just straight up bests it currently. Maybe the developers will get back to the basics and get things right again.

If they don't fix it, I wont even bother with next Forza Motorsport (I did the ultimate edition on Steam for over $100). I do feel buyers remorse on this.

Forever GT player (with AC, NFS mixed in as well, first time FM user). I am incredibly sadden by this game. I figured somethings seen were just part of Horizon and not in the motorsport series. Just a few things so far I have noticed.

Zero real life brand advertisements anywhere (race suits and tracks). GT has a mix of both, but I would prefer real 100% so there's that.
You can upgrade the exhaust but visually nothing changes. The only thing I see that is consistently different is the liveries. GT7 car customization for the AI is incredible, and not always the same if you reload the race.
The AI loves to turn left or right on standing starts, punt, squeeze each other, and has no idea what the brake or reverse is (They never programmed the AI to backup if facing a wall)
If you dive right in the game and get racing, the main menu is never seen. You have to back out to see them.
The AI does not learn the track at all. Maple Oak? on the final corners proves this wildly well.
When I choose a wheel set, it automatically gave to me in gold (Enkei RPF1s) (hideous on the 370Z)) and no clear option to change them there (have not look at other areas yet, but suspect I can anyway)
Whatever the lap time challenge is the AI will never get more than 4.8 seconds close to it. Its like its afraid of besting the time.
Car customization, is the most wildly ineffective progression I have seen. I use the AI to build up driving time while working.

With Forza, I was expecting it to match or exceed what GT7 does in races and other areas, but GT7 just straight up bests it currently. Maybe the developers will get back to the basics and get things right again.

If they don't fix it, I wont even bother with next Forza Motorsport (I did the ultimate edition on Steam for over $100). I do feel buyers remorse on this.
Welcome to Forza! Things don't change much around here. I've been wanting visual exhaust changes for... Decades 😂.. In Forza.

You have to go into Paint/Design to manually adjust each part of the alloy wheel to paint it - albeit there are some bugs right now.

Is it just me or are especially race cars extremely unstable on the track? And is the FFB also extremely much weaker in race cars? I have practically zero back pressure on the steering wheel. But I have always medium to strong oscillation. 😡🫣

I'm already a little bit designiert about the games. Mainly about the handling with the steering wheel... ok actually only because of that, the rest is ok for me.

It's just no fun to drive the cars... I'm feeling just testing with the settings and every time I think yes that's it, I change the car and stand again at zero.

It was definitely much better in FM7. I also felt the handling with steering wheel in comparison with the competition weaker, but I could play and it was fun...

I hope very much that it will be improved... but think that it will probably go a long time since controller users are in focus.

This is awful. Not a sim. Lacking so much. Wheres quali ? Its like it was made for kids, not for racers. Iam getting project cars 3 vibes. What a waste. No idea why its getting so much hype. Back to AC i go. Ugh

A youtube video from the german Youtuber pixelconect has brought me an improvement of the situation. He has switched on the stability control (sport for street cars and one for race cars). I must say that makes the driving experience but massively better!

It is still far from the feeling which ACC, PJCars2 or GT7 delivers but it is now much more fun.

Still not enough to say Forza Motorsport will be my no1 racer, but enough to play the career.

Had a quick Google but couldn't find anything definitive.

Does the game have endurance races with my definition of a racing game endurance race being an hour or longer?

Had a quick Google but couldn't find anything definitive.

Does the game have endurance races with my definition of a racing game endurance race being an hour or longer?

No.

You can make them in ‘free play’ of course but it’s weird that there’s no events in career that have any endurance or racing cars at all, especially as they have gone to so much effort with the tyre and fuel strategy, dynamic weather and time of day etc.

Last edited:
No.

You can make them in ‘free play’ of course but it’s weird that there’s no events in career that have any endurance or racing cars at all, especially as they have gone to so much effort with the tyre and fuel strategy, dynamic weather and time of day etc.

Strange one...

Just like Gran Turismo 7 the core i.e the driving is good but for whatever reason they don't want to use of all the tools they've made.

At least GT7 had that brilliant Lake Maggiore GT3 endurance race. Hopefully Forza Motorsport has something in the pipeline.

I haven't played it for 10+ years now but I'm thinking Forza Motorsport 3 is a good one to go back to if the modern Forza's continue to disappoint.

Screenshot_20231008-175714.png

They're only roughly an hour long endurance races but they were good fun.

Last edited:
Yeah, the menu crashes etc are very un-Forza, I'm sure they'll fix the more glaring issues - they shouldn't really be there now though, given everyone currently playing it has paid extra for the privilege.

Back