Forza Motorsport to Feature Brand New Tire Model, Tire Compounds

Again, you a bit confused on the sequence of events.
I'm pretty sure absolutely no one is confused about the sequence of events. You got offended that someone asked you to support what you said, and then it went all downhill from there. Even before asked, you started out your passive aggressive ness with:
This makes you happy anyway? Good for you.
The sequence of events started going sour because for whatever reason you felt personally attacked for absolutely no reason. If not, I don't see what got you off acting hurt , because asking a simple question is not considered an attitude. Don't make vague claims if you don't want to back them up. If you don't want people replying to it, don't post it. It's simple.
And if regards of my last quoted sentence, this was a specific consideration about the "suggestion" to play only certain games, or to avoid commenting certain parts of a game.
No one told you to avoid commenting on anything.

I would love to take a look and compare some Forza track details of tracks that are also in iR or ACC if i know what to look for. :)

I don´t care about the result, so is Turn10 doing things to its laserscans to make the endresult inaccurate ect, i just want to know and share my findings ;)

Last edited:
The most realistic part of Forza was the Simulation steering and I would bet that most people turned it off.
I thought it was very good physics model but you were at a disadvantage if you had it on and they had it off. I turned it off. Even I sometimes turned it off if I was racing multiplayer.

I always had it on until FM7.
I found it difficult to control in 7.

It isn't supposed to be easy just real... The first time I used Sim. Steering I remembered goofing around in my parents car(1988) and getting into a fish tailing tank slapper.

It isn't supposed to be easy just real... The first time I used Sim. Steering I remembered goofing around in my parents car(1988) and getting into a fish tailing tank slapper.

Yeah I know, it's just it gives you more feel if your good enough with your input to control it, I was in previous games but it felt harder on 7. Perhaps it's my age.. :)

In a long race it will put me into a spin a few times. Mostly because I don't practice as much as I wish I could. No natural talent or time to practice but enjoy it when I can.

Last edited:

Unless you drive your car with a Gamepad, it's not "real". And it doesn't affect in any way, shape or form the physics of the game.

All sim steering does is turn off input smoothing - which is incredibly useful in certain situation (i.e. oval racing, drifting) where you may need to give very small steering inputs, and counterproductive in most others.

I don´t care about the result, so is Turn10 doing things to its laserscans to make the endresult inaccurate ect, i just want to know and share my findings ;)

Turn10 claims they have been taking laser scans of circuits - however, I'd bet they only did that for some tracks, and approximated their modelling anyways (i.e. by re-using the same kerb profile on different kerbs). If we go by Chris Esaki's words, it sounds like they actually intend to walk the walk this time, but Í'll believe it when I'll get my hands on Forza and I won't be driving on a bizzarro-world version of Road Atlanta or the Nordschleife.

Last edited:
Any chance we see some FM Next gameplay at E3?
I would to think we would, but it's best to not hold out hope for it. Instead, don't expect it and eventually, you may get surprised if it does appear. ;)

Right now, I'm expecting FH5 will show off a trailer with more news to come after it's release date is revealed. Then, I'd be crossing my fingers for Chris Esaki to appear after FH5's reveal on E3's stream; showing a short gameplay of FM Next (same car and track from last year's reveal).

For me, that will make E3 the BEST for Forza fans/Racing fans. :D

Last edited:
I doubt it. Most we'll get is probably a fresh in-engine trailer given that closed alpha playtests started not long ago.

A new in-engine-trailer would be great...imagine "the new BMW M4 GT3 comes to the pit for fuel and new tires"...and next scene "drift cars come down from fujimi kaido..."

Looks like there comes more realism to the new FM. Hopefully qualifying session this time.

Having played F1 a while recently I would love to see qualifying in Forza Motorsport. Especially if we're getting different tire compounds and the like. Would certainly give the player a bit more input then just being dropped on the grid with no feeling of how they got there.

I hope that we see more of Forza Motorsport at E3 but not counting on it. If we're going to something (whenever that might be) please let it be gameplay not just meaningless videos that look nice but tell you nothing.

The most realistic part of Forza was the Simulation steering and I would bet that most people turned it off.
I thought it was very good physics model but you were at a disadvantage if you had it on and they had it off. I turned it off. Even I sometimes turned it off if I was racing multiplayer.

Is it though? I was out of town last week when this was being discussed and had to wait until last night to play again. I honestly couldn't remember if I had it on or off. Looked at assists and it's been on. I ran a couple of races with it on then ran a couple with it off. To me, especially in road cars, normal feels more authentic. I've always been a little frustrated at how careful you had to be on Sim steering to keep cars from breaking loose. I just couldn't believe that a Lamborghini Huracan for instance could have so little grip that it would spin out on a very slow corner.

Next chance I get I'm going to go back and run those same two cars I ran on Sim at the same two tracks and run them on Normal to see if there is any difference.

Is it though? I was out of town last week when this was being discussed and had to wait until last night to play again. I honestly couldn't remember if I had it on or off. Looked at assists and it's been on. I ran a couple of races with it on then ran a couple with it off. To me, especially in road cars, normal feels more authentic. I've always been a little frustrated at how careful you had to be on Sim steering to keep cars from breaking loose. I just couldn't believe that a Lamborghini Huracan for instance could have so little grip that it would spin out on a very slow corner.

Next chance I get I'm going to go back and run those same two cars I ran on Sim at the same two tracks and run them on Normal to see if there is any difference.
Yeah, there's really not much realistic about simulation steering. It just removes the dampers on inputs for the most parts. Playing on pad, it just doesn't feel right.

Not sure if it's just me but the only real difference i've noticed between simulation and normal steering when using a controller is counter steering.

On the controller, with normal steering, it's pretty easy to catch the backend and correct if it steps out but with simulation steering turned on 99 times out of a 100 you end up in a massive tank slapper and into the wall

Last edited:
Not sure if it's just me but the only real difference i've noticed between simulation and normal steering when using a controller is counter steering.

On the controller, with normal steering, it's pretty easy to catch the backend and correct if it steps out but with simulation steering turned on 99 times out of a 100 you end up in a massive tank slapper and into the wall
Same on my end, I eventually learned how to get it down but it really wasn't worth it at all to keep it on.

Yeah, there's really not much realistic about simulation steering. It just removes the dampers on inputs for the most parts. Playing on pad, it just doesn't feel right.

Even with a wheel, it just turns the game into a twitchy mess. Normal steering results in a game that behaves far more similarly to established "real" sims like AC and rF2.

As far as I'm concerned, simulation steering only exists to placate the "harder is more realistic" crowd. You know, the people who think they're God's gift to racing because they can get a virtual Yellowbird around the Ring in less than half an hour.

Even with a wheel, it just turns the game into a twitchy mess.

It's actually not supposed to do anything on a wheel, as input smoothing is not a thing/not handled by the game anyways. I think there was a long-standing bug that essentially fubar'd things up if you activated sim steering while playing on a wheel, didn't they sort it out with the late FM7 updates?

As for "why simulation steering exists" - again, it has its use cases, mostly when only very minute steering inputs are required (i.e. in oval racing). But most of the time, playing with a controllers means steering the car with a stick that moves in a 90deg arc instead of a steering wheel rotating along a 270 or even 900deg arc. It's near-impossible to do that without some measure of input smoothing.

Last edited:
It's actually not supposed to do anything on a wheel, as input smoothing is not a thing/not handled by the game anyways. I think there was a long-standing bug that essentially fubar'd things up if you activated sim steering while playing on a wheel, didn't they sort it out with the late FM7 updates?
Dunno, I haven't tried it recently because I know the game drives fine with normal steering on a wheel so I don't even try any more.

I had heard that it's not supposed to do anything with a wheel before, but that's not clear to anyone in game. One could have the completely reasonable assumption that turning on simulation steering should result in a more realistic experience, even with a wheel, and instead find that it actually becomes horrible to drive.

Dunno, I haven't tried it recently because I know the game drives fine with normal steering on a wheel so I don't even try any more.

I had heard that it's not supposed to do anything with a wheel before, but that's not clear to anyone in game. One could have the completely reasonable assumption that turning on simulation steering should result in a more realistic experience, even with a wheel, and instead find that it actually becomes horrible to drive.
Indeed.

Perhaps having a separate "input smoothing" on/off switch (or even an adjustment slider!) would've made more sense. For some reason, however, T10 decided to put the "arcade" and "sim" steering in the same continuum as the assisted steering options.

Steering options are a mess and have been a mess at least since the FM5 days. Hopefully they will finally sort this out in the next FM!

Same on my end, I eventually learned how to get it down but it really wasn't worth it at all to keep it on.
I think the game is so designed for gamepad and normal steering, that there are fundamental physics issues that only get exposed when one plays with wheel and sim steering.

Other, more serious sims, are less hard than Forza to play with wheels and no assists.

Indeed.

Perhaps having a separate "input smoothing" on/off switch (or even an adjustment slider!) would've made more sense. For some reason, however, T10 decided to put the "arcade" and "sim" steering in the same continuum as the assisted steering options.

Steering options are a mess and have been a mess at least since the FM5 days. Hopefully they will finally sort this out in the next FM!

I have to caveat this by saying I haven't picked up FM6 or FM7, but I feel like something changed between FH3 and FH4 with regards to the steering implementation on gamepad. I play with a pad and use the "simulation steering" option and I've found that the steering response in FH4 is way faster, which makes cars with a lot of turn-in grip pretty difficult to control and overly darty. FH3 seems to be far more forgiving / has slower steering by comparison. The linearity adjustment in 4 is somewhat useful, but in reality I wish they would provide a steering speed slider instead.

Back