Forza Motorsport Wins Two Categories at The Game Awards, But Gran Turismo Misses Out

• Thread starter Famine
  • 61 comments

Famine

GTP Editor, GTPEDIA Author
Administrator
United Kingdom
Rule 12
GTP_Famine
I agree with the accessibility since that's something Forza does very well, but is it the best sports/racing game? Eh, I'm not so sure about that. It's also pretty stupid that the Game Awards combines the two since they're both pretty different genres and enough games come out every year that would fill categories for separate awards. I mean, between 2K and EA, they put out enough sports games to fill the category every year and there are still a few one-offs that could supplement it. Racing, at the very least, has an F1, rally, and MotoGP game that fit in with the occasional cart racer.

Shame about the GT movie too, I thought it was rather good, but I do understand how The Last of Us beat it out.

Just in case anyone thinks I'm exaggerating about the 18 seconds, here's the entire segment for the category, cued up:

That's it. That's the whole thing.
It's also pretty stupid that the Game Awards combines the two
Fun fact: only one game that doesn't have cars in it and could only possibly be classed as sports has ever won this award...

... and that was based on four-wheeled motion too: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 in 2020. Every other one of the nine winners has been a car or kart game - MK8, Rocket League, FH3, FM7, FH4, CTR Nitro, FH5, GT7, and now FM2023...

Last edited:
About Best Sports/Racing Game, I don't even get why almost every nominee was a racing game this year. It would be better of separating the Sports and Racing Game into two separate categories if it keeps acting like that. Even the previous years' nominees were equally spread out, spread across other fields of sport like basketball, skateboarding, etc.

Plus, what about Ride 5, F1 Manager 23, Lego 2K Drive, MotoGP 23, and EA Sports WRC as possible nominees? I'm surprised that ACC didn't get nominated for Best Sports/Racing Game in its release year.

Hopefully, next year, TGA's board would at least care about true sim racing games like GTR Revival, Assetto Corsa 2 and Rennsport instead of slapping arcade racers in a sports-themed category.

Last edited:
There really should be a separation of Sports from Motorsports games, clearly there's enough titles for two.

We're not surprised GT7 didn't win right? I mean, PD literally ignores the players, even when there's a glitch that prevents people from racing online and they took two weeks to patch it, and PD didn't say anything to anyone the entire time. It's not a surprise they didn't win.

I’m surprised Gran Turismo 7 didn’t get the VR award.

I’m not surprised Forza Motorsport won best Sports/Racing (though you could make a case for any of the other 4 games winning).

Getting the Accessibility award is good though, Turn 10 did some real good stuff on that in the game.

Last edited:
About Best Sports/Racing Game, I don't even get why almost every nominee was a racing game this year. It would be better of separating the Sports and Racing Game into two separate categories if it keeps acting like that. Even the previous years' nominees were equally spread out, spread across other fields of sport like basketball, skateboarding, etc.

Plus, what about Ride 5, F1 Manager 23, Lego 2K Drive, MotoGP 23, and EA Sports WRC as possible nominees? I'm surprised that ACC didn't get nominated for Best Sports/Racing Game in its release year.

Hopefully, next year, TGA's board would at least care about true sim racing games like GTR Revival, Assetto Corsa 2 and Rennsport instead of slapping arcade racers in a sports-themed category.
As far as I'm aware, this Award show has never had the hardcore PC Sims (probably due to then being even more niche in an already niche category) so they just instead have the well known titles or the usual licensed yearly titles (which is probably the reason "Sports/Racing" is just hastily slapped together). Then again, the likes of Kunos and other predominantly PC heavy Sim developers don't tend to move around or promote nealy as much product as a first party name like Sony or Microsoft and third-party names like Epic, EA and Ubisoft.

Last edited:
Either of the franchises should make better games, just by listening to their respective fanbases. GT7 won the award last year, even though it's no way near as good as it should be.

Meanwhile, there are other franchises as racing games go, but their games usually pale in content, which is a problem when you are competing with games that are generalists (GT and Forza), specially on which cars they offer.

Its truly sad to see how far both Forza and racing games as a whole have fallen honestly, what happened last night was an absolute slap in the face to the entire genre itself and has practically set a REALLY bad precedent for any future big budget racers in the near future.

This damn genre deserves better, not this mediocre, broken and unfinished nonsense we keep getting now on a yearly basis like what Forza did this year, if the industry praises **** like this, the state of both this franchise and racing games as a whole will NOT get any better moving forward, only worse.

Also good luck thinking that there's nothing fishy of sorts with Forza winning Best Sports/Racer every single year its nominated at this point after yesterday because good luck convincing me it wasnt just because of brand recognition.

Last edited:
There really should be a separation of Sports from Motorsports games, clearly there's enough titles for two.

We're not surprised GT7 didn't win right? I mean, PD literally ignores the players, even when there's a glitch that prevents people from racing online and they took two weeks to patch it, and PD didn't say anything to anyone the entire time. It's not a surprise they didn't win.
Didn't GT7 won last year ?

1000018371.gif

No words 😑

Just gonna leave that here.

Ehh, In all fairness, he could, and probably should say the exact same thing about Spider-Man 2. It was the most mediocore game in arguably every category it was nominated in. Not to mention it was a hilariously buggy mess when it launched. Very low bar for what got considered as a GOTY contender

Back