Forza Motorsport Wins Two Categories at The Game Awards, But Gran Turismo Misses Out

• Thread starter Famine
  • 61 comments
Just in case anyone thinks I'm exaggerating about the 18 seconds, here's the entire segment for the category, cued up:

That's it. That's the whole thing.

Fun fact: only one game that doesn't have cars in it and could only possibly be classed as sports has ever won this award...

... and that was based on four-wheeled motion too: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2 in 2020. Every other one of the nine winners has been a car or kart game - MK8, Rocket League, FH3, FM7, FH4, CTR Nitro, FH5, GT7, and now FM2023...

Its a F joke. FIFA is sole reason why EA still alive, Forza and Mario Kart has more players than any GOTY outside of GTA and CoD.

what happened last night was an absolute slap in the face to the entire genre itself and has practically set a REALLY bad precedent for any future big budget racers in the near future.
Not sure about exFIFA,F1 and WRC, but both Hot Wheels and Crew are way better than halfbaked Motorsport. Like, its decent platform, but lacking too much. Same with GT7, but it was released without decent communication.

Last edited:
Plus, what about Ride 5, F1 Manager 23, Lego 2K Drive, MotoGP 23, and EA Sports WRC as possible nominees? I'm surprised that ACC didn't get nominated for Best Sports/Racing Game in its release year.
I know why Kelpy, beacuse two things: first of all, most of public and voting jury are people that are part of general gaming public, the general gaming public nowadays have no single interest in both racing and sports, for them, both are pratically the same thing

About the games itself, they had not busted outside the Racing Car fan bubble at all, in fact, is a indication of how much the genere is stagnated and needs more inovation while mantains its acessibility

As much of the growth of simulation type racing games (in detriment of arcade and general public) was inevitable and had bring some great games like Asserto Corsa, it had intensified the vision that the racing games are becoming more and more "of same type of game".

Accessibility-wise I agree. I enjoy playing with collisions off (I'm a forever beginner). I tried with them enabled and the A.I. was very contact wanton.

Edit: They even allow to turn it off in main career mode, in Accessibility options under the Blind Assist tab. I know I'm not blind but I have a heck of a bad time navigating through the aggro A.I.

Last edited:
Man, dunno how to save racing games from its falling state. About laziness arguments aside, it just seems that the developers really struggle in creating enough contents in quicker time for it due to the present day graphics such as cars and tracks (I don't want for GT/FM to lose their huge car list), or creating an AI that lives up to the challenge.

For me this year Alan wake 2 has been the game that for me has been the best, a true masterpiece, resident evil 4 remake was amazing to, not surpricing that bg3 won through, Alan wake 2 is still a strong 2nd,

Man, dunno how to save racing games from its falling state.
Sims desperately needs quality and decent progression system. Core gameplay can't be expended beyond what already has been done. Not sure why there are soo much sims and all suck 🤣

Arcade car games lost dozens of cool mechanics through the years and even subgenres. Pathfinding street racers like Midnight Club? Circuit racers with traffic like NFS 2-6? Power up racers that ain't karting? What was last time you saw pinkslips in racing games?

I don't understand why there are plenty of cool top view racers and outrun clones, but no one doing indi classic NFS rippoffs.

About Best Sports/Racing Game, I don't even get why almost every nominee was a racing game this year. It would be better of separating the Sports and Racing Game into two separate categories if it keeps acting like that. Even the previous years' nominees were equally spread out, spread across other fields of sport like basketball, skateboarding, etc.

Plus, what about Ride 5, F1 Manager 23, Lego 2K Drive, MotoGP 23, and EA Sports WRC as possible nominees? I'm surprised that ACC didn't get nominated for Best Sports/Racing Game in its release year.

Hopefully, next year, TGA's board would at least care about true sim racing games like GTR Revival, Assetto Corsa 2 and Rennsport instead of slapping arcade racers in a sports-themed category.
Related reading: https://www.ign.com/articles/the-game-awards-best-sports-racing-category-is-an-insult-to-both-genres

Honestly, I think they should drop the category altogether - not only with the state of racing games in general, but also with the general perception that annual, sports(ball) games are disposable.

I tried Forza motorsport on gamepass when i had it. I honestly found it lacking in many areas, especially the quality and attention to detail.

I'm surprised it won awards but then again the choices seem to be lacking at the moment to the point when I went to vote, the only category I confidently voted in was VR because everything I hadn't played or had no interest in. Not played cyberpunk since before they patched it properly and is apparently good now?

Oh and I'd agree that The last of us adaptation deserved the win. As an adaptation it was flawless. My favourite part in the GT movie was David Harbour's performance but it had too much cheese and corporate influence at the start to consider it a winner here.

FORGET about the physics Kaz. You want awards???
You gotta make those cars shinier.
4884679425_3a32def4fa_z.jpg

This is the discussion thread for an article on GTPlanet:

Forza Motorsport Wins Two Categories at The Game Awards, But Gran Turismo Misses Out

Forza Motorsport has come away from The Game Awards 2023 with two trophies for Innovation in Accessibility and Best Sports/Racing Game, while the Gran Turismo series missed out in both the categories for which it was nominated...
Award shows have always blew, maybe bring back booth babes, or 3 chicks around the same height.. **** is rough to look at. I miss the good days when we had Olivia Munn in the slave costume, seeing how many hot dogs she could fit in her mouth. You’d think even gamer chicks would want to look at beautiful people. It be a lot like looking at Adam Sessler in a dress. Just why? But really guys it’s all in fun and I kid, if this is whatcha want to see good for you. I’m in my 40s now, so I don’t really got a dog in the race anymore

Last edited:
is rough to look at
Isn't there restreams with twitch babes? Like, chances to see white girl with awesome look in Game Awards is less and less, but sex sells and there should be plenty of restreams with that attitude for sexist prehistoric animals 😉

AFAIK, this makes young people lifes little bit easier, if they don't constantly see over the top beautiful people.

I think it was always going to win. There hasn’t really been an outstanding racing/sports game this year - maybe EA Sports WRC but that got so much negative press for the issues on launch plus is quite niche - that aside EA FC 24 despite its new name is just another iteration of an old game, while at least Turn 10 went to the trouble of ‘rebuilding Forza from the ground up’ on their way to releasing something that feels exactly the same. That’s dedication.

There hasn’t really been an outstanding racing/sports game this year
Every possible AAA competitor was better game. More innovative or just better quality. WRC has ****ing car builder inside. And I don't understand how rally racer is more niche than track racer, while both are simcades.

Isn't there restreams with twitch babes? Like, chances to see white girl with awesome look in Game Awards is less and less, but sex sells and there should be plenty of restreams with that attitude for sexist prehistoric animals 😉

AFAIK, this makes young people lifes little bit easier, if they don't constantly see over the top beautiful people.
They don’t need to be white, just beautiful and why not, their beauty has nothing to do with how people look at you. Dated reference, but here it goes, it would be like watching Mr. And Mrs. Smith but instead Pitt and Jolie, Gilbert Godfrey and Roseanne Barr. They can both do the job, but one is a clear winner. You all need to relax abit and just enjoy the good things in life. It is what it is though, so just taker easy dude

Every possible AAA competitor was better game. More innovative or just better quality. WRC has ****ing car builder inside. And I don't understand how rally racer is more niche than track racer, while both are simcades.
I don’t really know what to say to that because my only response would be “well it just clearly is!!”

And I think you’re maybe missing the point of what I was saying a bit. I’d have also gone for EA Sports WRC as a far, far better game (and one I’ve poured much more time into) although for me the car builder isn’t something I’m particularly interested in. I’d probably also pick Ride 5 over Forza. But Forza has the advantage of the hype surrounding it and the worldwide brand recognition, that it probably always was going to win. It’s a “brand new” Forza game and one of the very, very few AAA releases in this category of 2023. Automatic win. Who cares really though? These awards things are always a bit pointless. Just play what you like. The big hype games win the big prizes.

Last edited:
They don’t need to be white
Like, crazy beautiful people of colour is ok, for now. But things will change in future for them too. Its trend of averagenes in mass culture.
You all need to relax abit and just enjoy the good things in life. It is what it is though, so just taker easy dude
I am cool, thanks
I don’t really know what to say to that because my only response would be “well it just clearly is!!”
Considering we don't have viable metrics its hard to say it is or not. But, DR 2.0 and WRC both have higher online numbers on Steam then Motorsport.

"The people who received the award aren't attractive enough for me, although I'm too old for women now" is certainly a take.

Not sure it's one that should be expressed though.
Oh, I thought those three were the presenters. That’s my bad. Lol and I’m never too old for women, but it’s no longer my generation that is young and the fashion trends have passed me by. Btw why shouldn’t I express my feelings about it? I ain’t hurting anyone and we all have all these platforms to be able to do that just that. And it’s pretty shady to use quotes around a statement I didn’t make. It just seems that instead of having fun at these events, everything is kinda forced and shoehorned into someone’s agenda. Your 20s should be the funnest time in your life and before you know it, it’s over. Just don’t take life so seriously and learn to laugh at yourself and put some miles on some cars dudes!!

Last edited:
I get the award for accessibility options but surely there had to be some other good competitors in that category? I haven't kept up with racing games this year, nor sports, but I can't say I'm outright impressed with how FM23 played out. Drives nice, sure, but I just couldn't pull myself to get into it at all.

Btw why shouldn’t I express my feelings about it? I ain’t hurting anyone and we all have all these platforms to be able to do that just that.
You're saying this against someone expressing their feelings about a statement. It's Ironic.

And it’s pretty shady to use quotes around a statement I didn’t make.
maybe bring back booth babes, or 3 chicks around the same height.. **** is rough to look at.
They don’t need to be white, just beautiful
Seems pretty spot on.

I suppose you’re right about the ironic thing, I don’t see much of a way around it though. So you guys can see where I’m coming from, I’m not the greatest looking guy in the world, got a long nose, I’m tall and gangly and have caught **** for it in my life, but they are just words. They only do the damage you allow them to do. I wouldn’t want me to be up there, not because of the jokes either, but because I’d rather see a good looking person on TV. We can’t be good at everything, we all have strengths and weaknesses. They are trying to sell a product and should quit thinking about what some random dude says on the internet and that includes me.

Last edited:
It just seems that instead of having fun everything is kinda forced.
For greater good.
Seems pretty spot on.
Gaming corps are playing with feminism after being one of the most objectificative media for years. Its understandable that consumers are little bit upset with new direction.

As for quote - I don't think he hit someone with those. Like its stupid, but not that offensive.

I think Forza winning is more of a commentary on the state of current racing games

I think both Franchises are played out and either need big changes in leadership or we need a completely new franchise in the mix
We used to have a third franchise called Project CARS.

I was excited AF for EA WRC, genuinely played nearly 20 hours of it before it even released. I shared that genuine excitement which leads to people calling me biased/bought/shill etc etc. It isn't perfect tho and I said as much, but I also let myself enjoy the experience of actually being excited for a new game.

WRC generations came out and, like Forza, was a half baked mess. I pointed out the half baked mess and get called biased/bought/shill etc etc, despite demonstrating numerous constructive critiscms which drastically effected the game.

I've always given my honest opinion on everything. Sometimes I like stuff, sometimes I don't. I'm not gonna apologise for not sharing your opinion on everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sims desperately needs quality and decent progression system. Core gameplay can't be expended beyond what already has been done. Not sure why there are soo much sims and all suck 🤣

Arcade car games lost dozens of cool mechanics through the years and even subgenres. Pathfinding street racers like Midnight Club? Circuit racers with traffic like NFS 2-6? Power up racers that ain't karting? What was last time you saw pinkslips in racing games?

I don't understand why there are plenty of cool top view racers and outrun clones, but no one doing indi classic NFS rippoffs.
I don't know what'd be the idea for the ideal progression system. Though for GT at least, it seems as if many people are trying to make GT, "not GT". The idea I often see are making the game's career like motorsport stuff to chose a path and restrict yourself to it. I mean new ideas should be welcomed as something fresh, but I think GT is also about sandbox (and yes GT6 made it linear) and implementing wide range of cars including roads in various events.

Regardless of GT7's content being lacking so far, I think it's personal beef for GT to deem any "GT identity" stuff as bad and should be discarded based, as if like reverse nostalgia goggles, like implementing said new idea but without erasing anything GT. Evolution not revolution.

Last edited:
Back