Forza Motorspot 7 wins Best Racing Game of the show @E3

• Thread starter mrPetros
  • 72 comments
Oh great, the tribes are out warring again...

One thing to note is that the vast majority of the gaming press are not sim racing enthusiasts, and look at racing games as games first and simulators a distant second. Their verdict is based on what they believe will be the best racing game, and from what they have seen Forza Motorsport 7 will have the right amount of content, visual fidelity, accessibility and "fun factor" to put it above the others.

If you think they're wrong and should add a category for best racing simulator, go ahead and send emails to everyone listed here: http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/judges.html

This ends now. This is a thread discussing Forza 7 winning an award at E3, discuss the merits of that and nothing else.

I don't care which game you're buying later this year. I don't care which game you think is better of these still-unreleased titles. If you want to discuss that, go elsewhere.

These were the 2017 nominees:

Best Racing Game
- Forza Motorsport 7 (Turn 10 Studios/Microsoft Studios)
- Gran Turismo Sport (Polyphony Digital/Sony Interactive Ent)
- Need for Speed Payback (Ghost Games/Electronic Arts)
- Project CARS 2 (Slighty Mad Studios/Bandai Namco Entertainment)
- The Crew 2 (Ivory Tower/Ubisoft Reflections/Ubisoft)

I mean, yeah, since there are cars in it, racing.

I would say that FM6-7 is just as much of an improvement as GT6-GTS. The major area's of improvement I'm seeing and hearing about with GTS seem to be graphics, and online capabilities. Pcars, I can definitely agree with, though.

Yeah, I agree with you. I was thinking about GTS more on a visual level (way better than GT6). Forza Motorsport in 4K at 60 fps is amazing but I am already running those settings for Forza on my PC. The update to weather physics looks sweet for FM7.

Sorry T-12, I just saw your message.

Yeah, I agree with you. I was thinking about GTS more on a visual level (way better than GT6). Forza Motorsport in 4K at 60 fps is amazing but I am already running those settings for Forza on my PC. The update to weather physics looks sweet for FM7.
but GTS lost dynamic TOD and weather, single player content, tracks and cars. Forza just added more and they introduced dynamic weather all in 4K60fps locked on a brand new system. So its not hard to see why it got those awards :).

Sorry T-12, I just saw your message.

What you're doing is fine. The issue lies with those coming in and inciting an argument just for a giggle.

Personally, I disagree with this. (Although I'd say it's better placed in the General Gaming Forum because E3.) However, I wasn't at the event and can see the decision being swayed by Forza having a massive presentation with Bandai Namco not having a big presentation thus allowing Forza more exposure.

Honestly, I'm not terribly surprised by the result.

Both @Jordan and I were impressed by what bits of FM7 we experienced. It may not offer some of what the competition does — be it GTS' (slight) edge in graphics, or PCARS2's LiveTrack 3.0 — but as @PJTierney notes, this is being judged by folks looking at these titles as games first. From that perspective, I get it: FM7 mixes a lot of content, accessibility, realism, graphics, and "wow factor" together that's appealing to folks not obsessed with the genre. We are the fringe folks.

For better or worse, the Forza series is also reliable. There are no grand promises of features that don't materialize until well after release (if at all). The game isn't delayed (and delayed). Massive glitches and bugs tend to be at a minimum. I have no idea if any of that is factored in — I'd love to hear what the criteria is for the GCAs, to be honest!

Honestly, I'm not terribly surprised by the result.

Both @Jordan and I were impressed by what bits of FM7 we experienced. It may not offer some of what the competition does — be it GTS' (slight) edge in graphics, or PCARS2's LiveTrack 3.0 — but as @PJTierney notes, this is being judged by folks looking at these titles as games first. From that perspective, I get it: FM7 mixes a lot of content, accessibility, realism, graphics, and "wow factor" together that's appealing to folks not obsessed with the genre. We are the fringe folks.

For better or worse, the Forza series is also reliable. There are no grand promises of features that don't materialize until well after release (if at all). The game isn't delayed (and delayed). Massive glitches and bugs tend to be at a minimum. I have no idea if any of that is factored in — I'd love to hear what the criteria is for the GCAs, to be honest!
I'm not surprised either. I just have a differing opinion because I do look at those aspects and haven't played the games. Also, as I said before, I feel it may be the massive conference by Microsoft that really allowed the journalists to be aware of Forza and that's where I draw similarities with the Indy 500 ROTY. Forza was more vocal yet Project CARS 2 looks to be more appealing to those who are into the subject area and that's what makes me want to know the criteria as well.

Can you truly classify Forza as a "Racing Game"? Whatever the criteria for the award, the actual racing in Forza 7 is certainly not why it won.

By a broader definition we might as well start calling GT Sport not a racing game and a photo taking game. As there are over 1000 scape locations, compared to the measly in comparison,140-170 cars to race with, on a meagre19 tracks to race them on. Or maybe I should take the sub title of the series: The Real "Driving" Simulator, literally, that disqualifies it as a racing title? If Forza Motorsport 7 isn't a racing game then what shall we label it? A Painting or tuning game? And compared to what? The racing is the heart and soul of these games. We are just lucky that in this day and age that developers spend as much time on other features to provide us with more longevity and draw in more different type of gamers, whose strength are in other areas. If Forza Motorsport 7 isn't a racing game, as you were so quick to point out, then please enlighten us as what it should be labelled/categorised as and compared to?

I sense sour grapes in your posts that Forza Motorsport 7 has won the accolade over either your preference of GT Sport or Project Cars 2 and you are clutching at straws. You deletion of your post in regards to this matter only go on to affirm my intial suspicions.

Last edited:
fatkid - you hit bulls eye with your post ;)

I just cant see other racing game winning this,and it will win Racing Game of The Year probably as well ;)
This is gonna be great :D (to lazy to look for that gif :D )

Oh great, the tribes are out warring again...

One thing to note is that the vast majority of the gaming press are not sim racing enthusiasts, and look at racing games as games first and simulators a distant second. Their verdict is based on what they believe will be the best racing game, and from what they have seen Forza Motorsport 7 will have the right amount of content, visual fidelity, accessibility and "fun factor" to put it above the others.

If you think they're wrong and should add a category for best racing simulator, go ahead and send emails to everyone listed here: http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/judges.html

I fully agree with this, they probably just drove 2-3 laps on each of the games and then move on to the next one. No wonder FM7 leaves the biggest impression then with it's dramatic weather changes in a few laps that can put some Hollywood blockbusters to shame. :) None of the PCARS 2 demos even had variable weather in them for the short race length I believe, even though full dynamic weather and full time of day are present there for each circuit.

Best of E3 is usually just about visual impressions from a couple of minutes and yeah sure FM7 does look crisp there on that Nürburgring demo.

Talking about visual impressions, anyone seem that 7 min gameplay video from Anthem? Bioware's fall 2018 new IP. Looks amazing IMO and even makes Horizon Zero Dawn look like an outdated game.

Can't wait what the couple of next years will bring with all the HDR gaming glory and more graphical horsepower from consoles like the X1X and PS4 Pro. :)

bf3
fatkid - you hit bulls eye with your post ;)

I just cant see other racing game winning this,and it will win Racing Game of The Year probably as well ;)
This is gonna be great :D (to lazy to look for that gif :D )

Oh, believe me I am looking forward to PCars 2 just as much as Forza 7. They both have their strengths. And learning more details on GT Sport is what keeps me coming back to GTPlanet. As far as winning Racing game of the year at E3, or any game winning an award at a show, exposure and presentation is more often than not going to win you awards over a relatively small low key reveal. Exposure at an expo event like E3 is created for this very purpose. Of course there could be some games like say Super Mario Odyssey, which won the best of show award, could well turn out to be one of the best games of the year (not entirely impossible considering their quality in the past). But without the correct exposure at events it surely wouldn't deserve it, even if it turned out exactly the same game.

Guys, they don't just watch the reveal trailer and choose who wins, they go to their booths and play the game or have a presentation from the developer. It's also not about which has changed the most since last showing, it's about which shows the best at E3 2017.

I fully agree with this, they probably just drove 2-3 laps on each of the games and then move on to the next one.

I have to stress that getting 2-3 laps in a racing game at E3 is a 4-5+ hour affair; you wait in line for hours to get a few minutes with the game; unless you can get a private presentation and that is still only 15-30 minutes at most.

Forza Motorsport is a racing game for the masses. Even casuals can jump right in, having fun. As a game, it has already offered a lot in the last couple of years, and No. 7 wont be any different. It is a highly competent package full of features.

There was a time where i felt personally insulted when someone used the term “simcade“. But that was a time were i was just using a game pad, driving assists and automatic transmission, thinking that was the real deal. Today, i prefer a steering wheel and games that can really be called sims. However, i'm still having fun with Forza and i'm looking forward to No. 7.

As a simcade, nothing beats it. And that isn't an insult, it is a compliment.

Forza has certainly turned into a very solid performer with very few glaring mistakes or bugs, and I think that the gaming community appreciates that. A very solid two year turn around with so many cars is a great effort. And the additional work from Playground studio means there is rarely a moment when the gamer wonders what to do.

Looking at the games I currently play I believe that none of them are perfect, or ever will be. The one I am the most pleased with and has the most potential is actually Assetto Corsa. The game (on Xbox) is seriously lacking some needed features and the patches are so slow (not to mention a lack of tracks) but the race physics are superb. The audio and in-car detail is also great.

Forza cannot compare with that, but oh, it is still so much fun to play. I can understand why it won the award.

In relation to Pcars- I really hope they can deliver. Time will tell though....

Some of you have to be driving the moderators up a wall.
Moderators Up A Wall, that's a driving game I've not heard of. And it seems like people been testing it out already!

I'll probably hear more of it later in 2017 - just after all the other games are released.

;)

The difference between Forza and other racing games today : Forza hasn't forgotten that it's a first and foremost a game. The first GTs were fun, they were good games first and then there was a sim aspect. Today, Forza is the new GT (without a good soundtrack :P)

Today, Forza is the new GT (without a good soundtrack :P)

You can put your music on Onedrive and use it in Forza 7, so you can use any soundtrack now and the music will be in game too(music will be playing outside the car on pit lanes.)

The difference between Forza and other racing games today : Forza hasn't forgotten that it's a first and foremost a game. The first GTs were fun, they were good games first and then there was a sim aspect. Today, Forza is the new GT (without a good soundtrack :P)
I'll take this over cheesy cocktail jazz and that PNAU song with the schoolkids any day of the week. :P

I'll take this over cheesy cocktail jazz and that PNAU song with the schoolkids any day of the week. :P

No jazz before (at least for EU, US versions), it was industrial, rock music (Feeder, Garbage, Cardigans and the amazing tracks of Daiki Kasho in GT3.

Adrenaliiiinnnne! (IMO something missing in most racing games sountrack)

No jazz before (at least for EU, US versions), it was industrial, rock music (Feeder, Garbage, Cardigans and the amazing tracks of Daiki Kasho in GT3.
I thought we were comparing latest instalments. If we're going to go across the whole series can I include the Forza Horizon 1 to 3 soundtracks?

I love the FH soundtracks but we're talking here about the FM series. Forza 5 and 6 (haven't played the others) have no proper soundtrack.

I love the FH soundtracks but we're talking here about the FM series. Forza 5 and 6 (haven't played the others) have no proper soundtrack.
No proper soundtrack? Get outta town.

I have to agree here so much! That is why I switched to Forza and never looked back. Forza fuels the same passion that Gran Tursimo made me feel, specially GT2 or GT4. Those two titles were PERFECT and tried not to be anything they weren't. That is what Forza is, and keeps on being (and hopefully won't change).

Sure, it's not at the same level of simulation than AC or PCars, but really; if you compare it to those, you're in the wrong place. Simulators are amazing and a lot of fun, but that's it. It's not about the cars, but the simulation hardware, software and boasting your competitive skills. Would it be awesome to have both worlds in one experience? Absolutely. I would love for Forza to feel like Assetto Corsa. But I don't think we are quite there yet. You either have one or the other. Me, I prefer lots of quality content, sounds, decent graphics and overall good controls over 100% simulation physics.

Back