Four By Four, Monsters, and Off-road.

• Thread starter Jim Prower
  • 858 comments
Kurogane Type 95. 1200cc air-cooled v-twin engine (later models were 1300cc and then 1400c). It was also one of the very first four-wheel drive cars ever mass produced. About 4700 were built between 1936 and 1944. It was the Japanese army’s scout car, like the Jeep for the US and the Kubelwagen for the Germans. Between four and seven are known to exist. This was discovered in a garage in Japan in surprisingly original condition and fully restored through a crowd funding campaign. It now resides in a military museum.
IMG_2478.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a soft spot for these little Japanese pickups. I especially like those, such as this Nissan and the Mazda B-series (before Ranger interchangeability), whose extended cab variants haven't had their wheelbase increased equal to the added cab length. The rear axle is farther from the engine but it's closer to the back of the cab. It means the beds aren't the same and the rear overhang grows to maintain bed length, but it...works? It certainly works better than the more-doors with the stub beds.

1984-datsun-720-dlx

1984-datsun-720-dlx

I don't really go out for the more-door WD21 Pathfinders because of the standard "hidden" rear door handles and so I can't get over how it looks with the garnish removed.

pf.jpg

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Man I love those early Pathfinders. Such a shame Nissan can't build a proper offroader anymore.

I love a two-door Pathy with its quirky side glass.

WD21-Pathfinder-29.jpg
WD21-Pathfinder-18.jpg

Those 37s are maybe a bit much. Absolute biggest I could see going with a SAS is 35s and 33s would be preferable. Honestly the factory option 31s look fantastic with a 2.5-inch lift using the IFS. The 31s on a Sport Package are a little big under the fenders without a lift.

They (D21s and WD21s) look so good with a mild lift and "factory" 31s.

1993_nissan_hardbody-4x4-pickup_DSC01118-14145.jpg

1993_nissan_hardbody-4x4-pickup_DSC01115-14137.jpg

1993_nissan_hardbody-4x4-pickup_DSC01119-14154.jpg

It would take pretty extraordinary circumstances for me to go bigger.

Back