**FR Drift Guide** - By Boundary Layer and Swift [Updated March 27, 2006]

First:
No slang words that promote laziness, ie; “r”, “u”, “plz”, etc. will be tolerated. Decent grammar is expected, including proper usage of capital letters. Repeated violations will be grounds for suspension and/or permanent removal from the forums.

Second, it various. It is true that the steering wheels are better than analog stick. More control.

that's a great guide CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO GET THE TOYOTA AB86 OR SOMETHING

that's a great guide CAN SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO GET THE TOYOTA AB86 OR SOMETHING
Sorry for the caps and its the Toyota AE86 sorry about that people

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not a thread about finding cars. There are multiple threads for that in teh main GT4 forum. Feel free to search there.

Thanks for this thread - top work. I used your settings from the OP for my own S2000 and as well as enjoying drifting around many courses in free run and photo drive, I have been annihilating races against cars much more powerful than me as well 👍

Sorry about that comment...:guilty: Just realized that there was a discussion about automatic-drifting in another forum. Don't listen to that comment I made. Its wrong. Its ugly. It doesn't know what is doing there. It has no friends, no life. All it does is sit there and look stupid. You know what? That comment is stupid. I think I'll delete it. Stupid comment.:grumpy:

i got a lot of car 2 drift in GT4..
almost all of them i have test to drift in 3 different circuit...
include nissan silvia s15 and s14..mazda RX7..AE86..Lancer all EVO (except evo2 and evo1)..nissan skyline r32 (FR)..Honda S2000..and and more..
it all have different setting..:)
and last night i just got setting of volvo wagon hahahaha..its fun..:dopey:

Haha wow, this is OLD. I used this to help me on one of my College Assignments :L
Pretty Helpful stuff right here, even for GT5 today in 2012 ;) Good work, even though it's VERY Old. :3 <3

Yep it's old but it was quite good when me and BL came out with it.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Yep it's old but it was quite good when me and BL came out with it.

Thanks for the compliment. :)

Wow this is old, I remember the good old days back when the GT4 section was active all the time!

Hows it going swift?

Edit: Lol at my siggy, "Going to the 2007 MLG"

~Drift King~
Wow this is old, I remember the good old days back when the GT4 section was active all the time!

Hows it going swift?

Edit: Lol at my siggy, "Going to the 2007 MLG"

Is good my friend. You?

AlexGTV
I have to say after 2 years and I still can't keep a drift for more than 1, 2 seconds using the DS2. :ouch:

It's all about the entry.

Gonna try this. Right now. I did years ago but I couldn't drive for nuts back then, this has influenced me to pick GT4 up again. Let's just hope I have the credits to blow on the S2000 :P

EDIT: :embarrassed: SWIFT! DOUBLE POST!

EDIT2: My progress.

Right. Only had 10'000c, clearly not enough to do the job. So I ran the C'Di Aumbra Easy (or whatever it's called) to get the Toyota RSC Rally Car, sold it to get myself an easy 250K. Sold my Toyota Corolla Rally Car (my main rally car) for 150K, but I didn't want to...:grumpy:

Bought the S2000 and am currently kitting it out as you have done in the example. Will keep you posted. :)

Right, all mods are in. Problem is, I'm only reading 286HP, wheras the example apparently hits 300HP. I'm considering a Stage 1 NA Tuneup, but I'll give it a run without it and see how we go. If I need the extra kick, I'll do so.

Setting up Set A as example, Set B as stock, and Set C as my own setup (whatever that may entail).

Right, running a stock run now. Just as a note, traction control is a limiting factor in all scenarios, so Set B (although a stock set) has no driving aids, even though stock includes them. No driving aids across the board, is what I'm trying to get at :P

Stock run is done. Very poor, did 5 laps and couldn't take it anymore. Breaks, diff, suspension and tranny all need work. I think I only got 1 decent drift out of 15 mins of driving. I worked out that the only way to get decently get it on its side, was to enter slowly, drop it back a gear, and dump the trottle. Hence why I said the tranny needs work too. Just bring the whole gear ratio down, and drop the 3rd and 4th gears to a low setting. Also, it felt like I had no brakes at all, up to about 70%. Once you hit about 75%, it would completely lock up... One other thing, it was very itchy on the exit, and snap back was horrendous, though not as bad as other cars I've tried to do. But remember, this was a stock run. Never hit so many walls in my life. Now onto Boundary Layer's settings.

Right. Set A (BL's settings) is done. Few things:

1: It's much better, obviously. Solved the flaky exits, and snapback is non-existant, unless I want it, where I just dump the throttle on the exit.
2: I threw in the Stage 1 NA Tuneup, to bring it up to 308HP. The extra 25+ HP has made a whopper of a differance, but the tranny still needs work to hold the revs through the apex. It's still lagging quite a bit.
3: Front dampeners are still a bit hard for me, will drop them down.
4: I can't drive very well. I need some time to sit down and just drive for a few hours, but I just don't have the time to do so. Since I'm running on a DS2 (well, an aftermarket one, and I've changed the sticks to be more stiff...just saw the bad connotation in that...:ouch:), it requires even more work, so I don't think I'll ever be able to master it properly.

Anywhoo, I've had it for today, 3 hours, two bottles of Coke, and a packet of TimTams later, I've had it. I'll see if I can get time tomorrow to work on what I've mentioned above, I'll drop the tranny ratios, the dampeners in the front, and fiddle with weight balance. :)

Last edited:
EDIT: :embarrassed: SWIFT! DOUBLE POST!

No it wasn't. I just did two separate posts on the iPhone app.
4: I can't drive very well. I need some time to sit down and just drive for a few hours, but I just don't have the time to do so. Since I'm running on a DS2 (well, an aftermarket one, and I've changed the sticks to be more stiff...just saw the bad connotation in that...:ouch:), it requires even more work, so I don't think I'll ever be able to master it properly.

Anywhoo, I've had it for today, 3 hours, two bottles of Coke, and a packet of TimTams later, I've had it. I'll see if I can get time tomorrow to work on what I've mentioned above, I'll drop the tranny ratios, the dampeners in the front, and fiddle with weight balance. :)[/COLOR]
[/QUOTE]

Just so you know, DelphicReason, one of the best drifters out there did it with the DS2. It can and has been done. In all honesty, the wheel doesn't make it easier. If anything it increases the learning curve because your feet are now part of the equations.

Anyway, you're right in that it takes practice. Give it about 30 min a day and you'll be pretty good by weeks end. No, I'm kidding. That is assuming you were reasonably good at GT4 to begin with. :sly:

Remember to have fun!

No it wasn't. I just did two separate posts on the iPhone app.

Ah. Rightio 👍

Just so you know, DelphicReason, one of the best drifters out there did it with the DS2. It can and has been done. In all honesty, the wheel doesn't make it easier. If anything it increases the learning curve because your feet are now part of the equations.

Anyway, you're right in that it takes practice. Give it about 30 min a day and you'll be pretty good by weeks end. No, I'm kidding. That is assuming you were reasonably good at GT4 to begin with. :sly:

Remember to have fun!

Yes, I just mean as my driving skill is reletivly moderate, and I simply don't have the time to put into learning it properly, I'd never be able to master it, whether it be on the DS2 or on a wheel. I see what you mean about the wheel making it actually more to work with, it's much simpler to turn and change downgear with two fingers on your left hand on the DS2, than it is to clutch with your left foot, change with your left hand (or right if you're that way inclined), and steer with your right hand. Ugh, sounds so complicated, but when you sit down and do it, it's a breeze :P

And yes, fun is the primary goal. I've actually been thinking of doing up a Supra version of this, just using your settings as a base and tinkering them a bit to fit the Supra. Also deciding if I should do this with a lot more cars, and make a new thread, sort of "GT4 Drifting Guide Car Directory", this has really gotten me interested. Just posting the cars, upgrades, and settings to get a simple drift, to which the user and adjust to their likings.

Though I will say one thing, if you have the EFX volume up a lot (like I do), you do go deaf within the first 8 - 10 laps :lol:

Turn it down a bit. The sound is very important as to where you are in the drifting process and what's going on with the tires. But don't blast yourself.

Also, settings is NOT the key. Period. The can make a difference but there are many stock cars, 240, Supra, EVO that can be drifted stock. Or just with updated tires. So focus on the technique and not so much on the settings.

If posting a new thread will help develop your skills and keep you interested, go for it! Just make sure it's not a repeat of anything already on the forum.

So awesome that all these resources are still up here.

Its been YEARS since I have put some time in on GT4, and last time I did I was on the DS2. Recently picked up a DFP wheel and have been playing again, so much fun with the wheel. Im gonna use the tips here to re-learn how to tune and drift.

I was doing ok the other night on Tsukuba with a Stock S13 Silvia K's on N1's, hard to catch that snap back on a stock car though.

hahaha... indeed, I am seriously stoked about this stuff still being aroun, GT5 forums are nowhere near as informative as these boards were... I miss the GT4 days...

194GVan
So awesome that all these resources are still up here.

Its been YEARS since I have put some time in on GT4, and last time I did I was on the DS2. Recently picked up a DFP wheel and have been playing again, so much fun with the wheel. Im gonna use the tips here to re-learn how to tune and drift.

I was doing ok the other night on Tsukuba with a Stock S13 Silvia K's on N1's, hard to catch that snap back on a stock car though.

The only way to get rid of the snap back is to smooth out your inputs....in other words practice. And don't switch up cars much if at all. Find one you'd like to drift well and stick with it!

I tried the S2k settings shared in the guide, found the car a little unforgiving with the short wheelbase, and/or would bog down at lower RPMs (vtak yo).

So I started tuning a Sil80 with 310 hp, with the same theories (and math) to estimate spring rates, and I was getting a lot smoother, able to handle transitions fairly well. Even untuned I found the car a lot easier to control than the S2k, lowering the car and bumping the spring rate made it even better. This is probably partially because I had already been playing for 2 hours when I jumped in the Sil80, but I still prefer its ability to deliver more power at a lower rpm, allowing me to stay in a higher gear and modulate throttle to keep the car sliding.

Next time I have time to play I need to continue practicing and tweaking the rest of the settings to regain my feel for GT4 tuning.

Im remembering now that GT4 drifting is all about precision with steering AND throttle inputs.

Last edited:
194GVan
I tried the S2k settings shared in the guide, found the car a little unforgiving with the short wheelbase, and/or would bog down at lower RPMs (vtak yo).

So I started tuning a Sil80 with 310 hp, with the same theories (and math) to estimate spring rates, and I was getting a lot smoother, able to handle transitions fairly well. Even untuned I found the car a lot easier to control than the S2k, lowering the car and bumping the spring rate made it even better. This is probably partially because I had already been playing for 2 hours when I jumped in the Sil80, but I still prefer its ability to deliver more power at a lower rpm, allowing me to stay in a higher gear and modulate throttle to keep the car sliding.

Next time I have time to play I need to continue practicing and tweaking the rest of the settings to regain my feel for GT4 tuning.

Im remembering now that GT4 drifting is all about precision with steering AND throttle inputs.
Your last paragraph was the most important. Skill can overcome imperfect settings.

Back