Free Speech

• Thread starter A2K78
  • 1,028 comments
SpaceX employees "across the spectra of gender, ethnicity, seniority, and technical roles" write an open later to the SpaceX executive board to state they are appalled and embarrassed by the CEO's behaviour on Twitter, and request that SpaceX takes steps to ensure the company is distanced and insulated from his comments:
An open letter to the Executives of SpaceX,

In light of recent allegations against our CEO and his public disparagement of the situation, we would like to deliver feedback on how these events affect our company’s reputation, and through it, our mission. Employees across the spectra of gender, ethnicity, seniority, and technical roles have collaborated on this letter. We feel it is imperative to maintain honest and open dialogue with each other to effectively reach our company’s primary goals together: making SpaceX a great place to work for all, and making humans a multiplanetary species.

As SpaceX employees we are expected to challenge established processes, rapidly innovate to solve complex problems as a team, and use failures as learning opportunities. Commitment to these ideals is fundamental to our identity and is core to how we have redefined our industry. But for all our technical achievements, SpaceX fails to apply these principles to the promotion of diversity, equity, and inclusion with equal priority across the company, resulting in a workplace culture that remains firmly rooted in the status quo.

Individuals and groups of employees at SpaceX have spent significant effort beyond their technical scope to make the company a more inclusive space via conference recruiting, open forums, feedback to leadership, outreach, and more. However, we feel an unequal burden to carry this effort as the company has not applied appropriate urgency and resources to the problem in a manner consistent with our approach to critical path technical projects. To be clear: recent events are not isolated incidents; they are emblematic of a wider culture that underserves many of the people who enable SpaceX’s extraordinary accomplishments. As industry leaders, we bear unique responsibility to address this.

Elon’s behavior in the public sphere is a frequent source of distraction and embarrassment for us, particularly in recent weeks. As our CEO and most prominent spokesperson, Elon is seen as the face of SpaceX—every Tweet that Elon sends is a de facto public statement by the company. It is critical to make clear to our teams and to our potential talent pool that his messaging does not reflect our work, our mission, or our values.

SpaceX’s current systems and culture do not live up to its stated values, as many employees continue to experience unequal enforcement of our oft-repeated “No Asshole” and “Zero Tolerance” policies. This must change. As a starting point, we are putting forth the following categories of action items, the specifics of which we would like to discuss in person with the executive team within a month:

* Publicly address and condemn Elon’s harmful Twitter behavior. SpaceX must swiftly and explicitly separate itself from Elon’s personal brand.

* Hold all leadership equally accountable to making SpaceX a great place to work for everyone. Apply a critical eye to issues that prevent employees from fully performing their jobs and meeting their potential, pursuing specific and enduring actions that are well resourced, transparent, and treated with the same rigor and urgency as establishing flight rationale after a hardware anomaly.

* Define and uniformly respond to all forms of unacceptable behavior. Clearly define what exactly is intended by SpaceX’s “no-asshole” and “zero tolerance” policies and enforce them consistently. SpaceX must establish safe avenues for reporting and uphold clear repercussions for all unacceptable behavior, whether from the CEO or an employee starting their first day.

We care deeply about SpaceX’s mission to make humanity multiplanetary. But more importantly, we care about each other. The collaboration we need to make life multiplanetary is incompatible with a culture that treats employees as consumable resources. Our unique position requires us to consider how our actions today will shape the experiences of individuals beyond our planet. Is the culture we are fostering now the one which we aim to bring to Mars and beyond?

We have made strides in that direction, but there is so much more to accomplish.
I think we can all guess what SpaceX's executive - headed by its free speech absolutionist "I hope my critics remain on Twitter" CEO actually did, can't we?

(and yes, freedom of speech is not freedom from consequences of speaking, but at least one SpaceX CEO believes it is despite previously cancelling car orders based on mean Tweets and on one occasion sacking an employee after they liked a mean Tweet)

I guess now we can use the phrase "overreaching activism" every time he gets political.

This is one of two ongoing challenges to the rat ****ing Florida Republicans' law, the other challenge brought by representatives of private employers also affected by the law that establishes a civil cause of action against constitutionally-protected expression and action. As I understand it, the standing of the suit referred to above was the shaky of the two due to the generally accepted privilege of broad oversight (distinct from narrow, viewpoint-based oversight) by state actors over public institutions, and the other suit has been allowed to chug along.

Modern American conservatism is mental illness.

For clarity, the ban on pronouns won't have an effect on teaching and the above is merely entertaining commentary, rather it applies to email signitaures. It's still infringement upon the natural and legal right in the United States (the Kettle Moraine School District is a public school system in Wisconsin) over wholly innocuous expression.

Compelled speech in Texas (hat tip @hemantmehta):

Screenshot_20220821-093832_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Compelled speech in Texas (hat tip @hemantmehta):

View attachment 1185587
Is that actually the national motto? That seems somewhat contradictory to current framing of religious freedom. Google tells me that it is, and I still feel like I'm being trolled.

I do sort of understand how that could have slipped under the radar back in ye olde days when it wasn't so much a question of do you believe in God, but which God do you believe in. But in the modern day that seems a little presumptive that people trust in any gods at all.

I think it'd be neat if they changed it, partly because it's the right thing to do but also partly because there's a bunch of people who would see not being directly associated with the national motto as persecution and I suspect the fire from the outrage will be enough to power the country for several years.

Is that actually the national motto? That seems somewhat contradictory to current framing of religious freedom. Google tells me that it is, and I still feel like I'm being trolled.
For a second or two I thought you were asking if "Compelled speech" is the national motto...

I always thought it was E Pluribus Unum but it looks like the US Congress voted to replace it in 1956 with In God We Trust. It's also the Florida state motto for good measure (Texas's is "Friendship", lol).

I do sort of understand how that could have slipped under the radar back in ye olde days when it wasn't so much a question of do you believe in God, but which God do you believe in. But in the modern day that seems a little presumptive that people trust in any gods at all.

I think it'd be neat if they changed it, partly because it's the right thing to do but also partly because there's a bunch of people who would see not being directly associated with the national motto as persecution and I suspect the fire from the outrage will be enough to power the country for several years.
It was actually added and adopted in the 1950's, while it was put on some currency before then, it didn't become the US's motto until 1956.

For a second or two I thought you were asking if "Compelled speech" is the national motto...
It sounds like maybe it should be.
It was actually added and adopted in the 1950's, while it was put on some currency before then, it didn't become the US's motto until 1956.
That's somehow worse than I assumed. E pluribus unum is pleasantly and appropriately vague, if a little hoity toity. Of all the things to change it to, "in God we trust" is a pretty awful choice even for the 50's.

I had to quickly Google what the Australian motto was for fear it would be something classy like "ozzy ozzy ozzy" or "I don't hold a hose, mate", but thankfully we don't appear to have an official motto.

It sounds like maybe it should be.

That's somehow worse than I assumed. E pluribus unum is pleasantly and appropriately vague, if a little hoity toity. Of all the things to change it to, "in God we trust" is a pretty awful choice even for the 50's.

I had to quickly Google what the Australian motto was for fear it would be something classy like "ozzy ozzy ozzy" or "I don't hold a hose, mate", but thankfully we don't appear to have an official motto.
A great opportunity for your great country to fix that issue.

May I proffer “I can see the pub from here”

This is nuts. Especially in Gonzalez, where the harm is so far removed from the supposed action, with the claimant alleging Google is liable in the death of a family member in a terrorist attack because its YouTube algorithm recommended ISIS recruitment videos that aren't themselves harmful.

I haven't figured out which four Justices granted cert (a petition for writ of certiorari, which is basically a request to have the Supreme Court review a lower court's holding), but Thomas is sure to be among them since he's been chomping at the bit for an opportunity to gut Section 230 and expose "Big Tech" (there's no consolidation of market share in tech, especially social media, so the moniker is itself a bit of deception on the part of the aggrieved) to frivolous, but likely expensive, civil action.

It will be amusing to see how the Supreme Court attempts to invalidate its own precedent months later when they inevitably make opposing arguments while they fall over themselves to defend that Texas law.

Our institutions have been infected by "the woke mind virus," Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) told an audience at the National Conservatism conference in Miami this September. "Some of these big corporations are now exercising quasi-public power."

Is it time to fight fire with fire? To wield government power to stop a dangerous ideology from destroying America's vital institutions? DeSantis thinks so.

"We're not just going to sit idly by if you're trying to circumscribe people's freedoms," he said in the same speech. "And that's true if it's government. It's also true if it's big business."

DeSantis, a likely presidential candidate and favorite of the conservative movement, seeks to jettison the libertarian idea that the government shouldn't meddle in the affairs of private business.

Earlier this year, DeSantis and Republicans in the Florida Legislature retaliated against Disney for opposing a state law prohibiting the discussion of sexuality and gender identity in kindergarten through third-grade classrooms. Critics attempted to make the new education law a national issue and dubbed it the "Don't Say Gay Act," and DeSantis' communications team responded by routinely calling the law's critics "groomers."

Now DeSantis, who declined our interview request, has signed into law the Individual Rights Act, which he formerly referred to as the Stop WOKE Act.

A U.S. District Court judge struck down part of the law on First Amendment grounds. That portion of the law prohibited private companies from holding any mandatory training that "espouses, promotes, advances, inculcates, or compels [employees] to believe" eight concepts, such as that "members of one race, color, sex, or national origin are morally superior to members of another race, color, sex," and that your inherent characteristics make you "inherently racist, sexist, or oppressive."

It also banned trainings that promote the idea that these characteristics determine one's moral status as privileged or oppressed or mean that you bear personal responsibility for past injustices, that concepts like "merit, excellence, hard work, fairness, neutrality, objectivity, and racial colorblindness are racist," or that trying to be colorblind and treat people without regard to race is wrong.

Banning workplace trainings that tell people that their race or sex makes them morally culpable might sound reasonable to many Americans. A recent Rasmussen poll found just 29 percent of Americans think corporate diversity trainings actually improve race relations.

But opponents say laws banning a broad set of ideas set a dangerous precedent.

The state made the concepts "seem terrible," says Jerry Edwards, a staff attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union of Florida, who is challenging a separate part of the law that applies to universities. He calls the bill a "wolf in sheep's clothing" because anytime a government bans broad categories of speech, it gives politicians the ability to define the terms of acceptable discourse. This, he says, should be concerning to Americans of all political stripes.

"If you're a person who's conservative and you agree with the idea that that affirmative action is wrong, if you give the state the power to say that you can only hold that belief, you also give them the power to say that you can't hold that belief," says Edwards. "We can't allow the state this power to regulate speech."

The left also craves state power to impose its cultural preferences. Nation writer Jeet Heer recently tweeted that we should use state power "for good," like expanding the scope of civil rights law and defending the LGBT community. "The only objection to DeSantis," Jeer wrote, "is that he wants to use state power to push big business to do bad things."

Of course, from the perspective of DeSantis and his allies, the Individual Rights Act is an expansion of civil rights law meant to force businesses to do what they think is "good" for Americans, in this case by removing identity politics from mandatory workplace trainings.

But the more power politicians have to determine which type of speech is good and, therefore, legal and which type is bad and, therefore, illegal, the more the sphere of acceptable discourse is likely to shrink as both sides of the political spectrum hem in those boundaries to promote their subjective notions of the "common good," a phrase that's become a guiding principle of the new brand of national conservatism that's aiming to both refine and expand upon the populism that former President Donald Trump injected into the GOP.

"The state should not be banning ideas," says Edwards.

LeRoy Pernell, a law professor at Florida A&M University (FAMU), a historically black college and plaintiff in the ACLU's case challenging the higher education component of the law, says that this amounts to the state attempting to "control thought."

"That [kind of control is] reminiscent of societies and governments that we supposedly fought wars against," says Pernell.

The part of DeSantis' law that hasn't been struck down pertains to universities that receive state funding. It bans college professors at such colleges from promoting any of the eight forbidden concepts.

Pernell is afraid that the law will outlaw discussions of systemic racism, which he says is part of FAMU's institutional history. The state created the law school in 1949 to accommodate two black law students who applied to the racially segregated University of Florida. In 1966, the state forced it to cease admitting new students until former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush signed a law to reopen it in 2000.

Pernell worries that if instructors were to characterize that history as "systemically racist," they'd run afoul of the law's restrictions around teaching the concept.

"I do now live with the idea that at any moment, the state can come and take negative action against me because of my thought," says Pernell.

Pernell also worries that the law would prohibit him from teaching material from his own book about systemic racism in the U.S. legal system, a book that denies the premise that racial "color blindness" is a useful concept.

"It is impossible to understand criminal procedure and understand the issues that arise in criminal procedure without understanding that the history has not been colorblind," says Pernell.

But the state has argued that it does have a say over what's taught at taxpayer-subsidized schools.

"Teaching kids to hate their country and to hate each other is not worth one red cent of taxpayer money," DeSantis said in March 2021.

Pernell's response to the criticism of race-conscious instruction is that it's"just silly" and that "to understand that there are racial differences" is not "a negative thing" because "different races, different communities bring different things to the table."

You might disagree with Pernell. Maybe teaching law students to celebrate racial identity and differences isn't the best use of classroom time. But the relevant policy question is not what goes on in the classroom, the boardroom, or the break room, but who gets to decide?

"Diversity is good for business in many ways," says Sara Margulis, who co-founded with her then-husband Honeyfund, a business that administers online cash wedding registries in Clearwater, Florida. She is a plaintiff in the case against Florida, which argues that the law restricts the freedom of business owner to provide diversity training seminars to his or her employees.

DeSantis' office declined our interview requests, but a press representative responded by email that because the concepts covered in mandatory trainings are "forced on employees as a condition of employment," they are "designed to force individuals to believe something" and "adopt a certain proscribed ideology" and, therefore, "the law is designed to prohibit forced indoctrination in these concepts because doing so is discriminatory" under Florida civil rights law.

But Honeyfund's attorney Shalani Agarwal of the nonprofit Protect Democracy says the existence of civil rights law implies the opposite: Anyone who feels personally targeted by a diversity training workshop is already protected.

"Our current employment discrimination law that preceded the Stop WOKE Act already covers hostile work environments," says Agarwal, whose argument was supported by the judge who ruled against the state. When an employee faces persistent, offensive comments related to his or her identity in the workplace, that employee can file a harassment claim under current civil rights law. But Agarwal believes "the Stop WOKE Act creates a whole set of pretty flimsy and vague standards that make it kind of impossible for an employer to figure out how to proceed."

In practical terms, the state can't really banish ideas. It can make people more hesitant to speak openly and honestly through threat of punishment, which might be an effect of the Florida law. But hampering real communication that way makes solving hard problems even harder. And there are a lot of hard problems left to solve.

Some so-called "woke" ideas really are pernicious because reducing every injustice to an identity-based formula flattens nuance, cultivates grievances, and can create tension where none existed before, as borne out by studies that find diversity training quite often makes people more prejudiced. This simplistic and counterproductive approach only further clouds our view of real solutions and real progress.

But is the situation really so dire as portrayed by political operatives like Chris Rufo, who stood beside DeSantis as he introduced the law and who calls critical race theory and similar teachings "neo-Marxism"?

Even some libertarians have come to look at the issue as a high-stakes fight against communism. The Libertarian Party's official account tweeted that "Soon, parents will be required to help enforce the state's Marxist, queer theorist, critical race agenda at home. Parents who fail to adequately indoctrinate their kids will have them taken away."

And when you believe you're fighting an existential domestic threat, it can justify all sorts of very un-libertarian, authoritarian behavior. The party account defended Joseph McCarthy while approvingly quoting anti-woke academic James Lindsay saying it's "time to deal with American communists for real."

Communism was a serious enemy of human prosperity throughout much of the 20th century, and politicians were right to be concerned about Soviet infiltration of the U.S. government. But McCarthy in the Senate and the Committee on Un-American Activities in the House went overboard in their hunts for communist spies, eventually expanding the scope of the search to target actors, writers, poets, musicians, and teachers.

And we're not even talking about Soviet espionage here, which is what kicked off McCarthy's crusade. We're talking about professors teaching what they believe college students need to hear, and employers training their workers in ways they think will help create a more harmonious workplace, virtue signal to customers, and, ultimately, help their bottom line.

We're talking about a state government regulating the free exchange of ideas. That is a bigger threat to our liberty and to American values than "wokeness" ever will be.

This isn't the way to "stop woke." Does that mean opponents have to just roll over and take it? After all, as conservatives will point out, the progressive left has no problem using civil rights law to push its ideas into the workplace and onto the college campus. Why shouldn't the American right pick up that tool and use it for its own ends?

One reason for caution is that sharpening a legal tool can be fatal once your opponents have the opportunity to turn it against you. Instead, you could be blunting or even dismantling it. If existing laws are part of the problem, limit or repeal the laws. Also, build, improve, and support alternative institutions, ones that reflect your values. Don't work for or buy from companies that disrespect you or attend colleges that spend a lot of time on issues of little value. They'll get the message. Some already are.

If you think woke ideas should be stopped, be wary of shortcuts. The long, hard path is the one more likely to bring enduring change: Criticize, resist, and, when need be, opt out.

Correction: The text has been edited to note that Sara Margulis co-founded Honeyfund with her "then-husband" and that they are no longer married.

A federal judge on Thursday sparred with attorneys about a controversial state law that restricts the way race-related concepts can be taught in classrooms, with university professors arguing it violates free speech rights.

Chief U.S. District Judge Mark Walker’s questions came during a hearing involving two challenges to the law, a priority of Gov. Ron DeSantis during this year’s legislative session.

What DeSantis dubbed the “Stop Wrongs To Our Kids and Employees Act,” or “Stop WOKE Act,” lists a series of race-related concepts and says it would constitute discrimination if students are subjected to instruction that “espouses, promotes, advances, inculcates or compels” them to believe them.

Plaintiffs in the cases before Walker on Thursday include professors and students from several state universities.

Asking Walker for a preliminary injunction to block the law, the plaintiffs’ lawyers argued that the restrictions are causing confusion for instructors, are having a chilling effect on speech inside classrooms and are an unconstitutional infringement of professors’ First Amendment rights. Walker did not immediately rule on the request.

“Every day that the Stop WOKE act is in effect, plaintiffs and other similarly situated instructors and students are suffering ongoing and irreparable injury as they self-censor and live in fear that they will lose their jobs or their universities will lose state funding if they violate this vague and discriminatory law,” said Emerson Sykes, senior staff attorney at the American Civil Liberties Union’s Speech, Privacy and Technology Project.

But Charles Cooper, a lawyer with the firm Cooper & Kirk who represents the state university system’s Board of Governors and other education officials named as defendants, pointed to court rulings establishing that the government has the authority to restrict public employees’ speech.

At least four lawsuits have been filed challenging the law. In one case, Walker in August issued a preliminary injunction against part of the law that seeks to restrict how race-related concepts can be addressed in workplace training. The state has appealed that ruling.

As an example of the law’s restrictions involving the higher-education system, it labels instruction discriminatory if students are led to believe that “a person’s moral character or status as either privileged or oppressed is necessarily determined by his or her race, color, national origin or sex.”

Similarly, instruction would be considered discriminatory if it leads students to believe that “a person, by virtue of his or her race, color, national origin, or sex, bears responsibility for, or should be discriminated against or receive adverse treatment because of, actions committed in the past by other members of the same race, color, national origin, or sex.”

The law also says that it “does not prohibit discussion of the concepts … provided such training or instruction given in an objective manner without endorsement of the concepts.”

The law’s restrictions are permitted because it regulates “pure government speech” of college and university instructors who are speaking on behalf of the state when teaching on campus, Cooper said.

But Walker questioned the state’s approach, saying it could allow the Legislature to decide what viewpoints should be taught.

“You (the government) can pick and choose what viewpoint you like and, under the guise of stopping indoctrination, you promote indoctrination. Why is that not so?” he asked.

“The government, again, is the one who decides,” Cooper said, adding “the state embraces academic freedom.”

“So long as you say what we like,” Walker said.

The state’s rationale leads to a “dystopian” conclusion, he said.

“We believe in academic freedom, so long as you say what we want you to say. That sounds like something George Orwell wrote,” the judge said.

The "truth" is it's still in the approval stage until they remove the insurrectiony posts and stuff. Now Android using MAGAs will be able to sample such delights as the following (get ready to hit the pause button repeatedly):

Last edited:
Back