Friday Night Fun | Sept. 15th | Nord Track Day | Open LobbyPC 

• Thread starter Wiz
  • 1,388 comments
Ha! I just came on to post something. You beat me by one minute.

Unfortunately, no I will not be able to race this week.

Next Friday (9/8) I promise we'll run FNF.

Looking at the car & track list with a blank stare on my face.

I feel like we don't use (any variation of) Silverstone much. Can't pick a car though.

I would really like to join you guys on this some time. Unfortunately time zone issues come into play. 8:30pm is 2:30am here in Central Europe. Maybe I could try to sacrifice a bit of sleep, we'll see.

So yeah we'll be racing one of the Evora race cars at Silverstone GP. Still not sure which one is better so I'll try to find time to test them both and pick the better of the two.

Probably won't have time to update OP but expect the normal stuff. 12 minute races or so. Eh, hastily updated just now.

Be there or be square.

Congrats on finally hitting 1,000 posts! :gtpflag:

Thanks!

Server is up.

Please note that I'm running it from my PC again so hopefully my network doesn't go wonky again.

I had fun other then my office chair slidddding across the floor, ill go to the hardware store and see if i can find a solution.

We quite enjoyed your office chair shenanigans. :lol:

I did enjoy that battle we had the last race i did..
Until last corner....

1277378485_girl-jumps-of-chair.gif

Last edited:
For this Friday, I think I just want to do a Nordschleife Track Day. Haven't done one in a while and I can't even remember the last time I drove around there. Probably just a mix of street cars this time. Maybe a race car or two.

For September 22nd, I'm assuming I'll be checking out pCARS 2 so I doubt I'll do FNF. If anyone else plans on doing the same, perhaps we can hop on Teamspeak to chat about the game and help each other out.

Sounds good to me. Guess I'd better go get my pre-order done. Can I do it through Steam or do I need to go to a certain website?

A golden rule of the PC mustard race is to never pre-order :P If it sounds like they've finished it this time, I'll consider it. Also track day sounds fun to me.

A golden rule of the PC mustard race is to never pre-order :P

I've never understood this logic. By pre-ordering you either get some free stuff or a discount, and if there's problems the game will be patched, so by waiting a few weeks after release all you're doing is denying yourself play time. And if the game is rubbish, eh, $60 isn't going to break me. I've been following some reports from beta testers who gave honest opinions and it sounds like the game will be good enough to have some fun with and I need some fresh fun in my sim racing life so I'm willing to take a chance.

Well, I usually like to wait until after the game is released to buy it. Because I prefer to have serious bugs and performance issues fixed before I buy it, and I also prefer to read reviews. The only real "problem" then I that I'll miss out on the pre-order bonuses/content. But that is usually made available for everyone at a later time, so I just wait it out.

You're calling it "denying yourself play time". I'm gonna call it "I want to know what I'm bying". :)

Last edited:
Because I prefer to have serious bugs and performance issues fixed before I buy it,

That's the part I really don't get. Bugs and performance issues are fixed through patches (usually) and most of the stuff is likely to work fine so you can still enjoy the working parts until the broken parts are fixed. And no game is every going to be completely free of bugs and performance issues, so where do you draw the line on which ones you wait for to get fixed and which ones you accept? And is that worth giving up some free content or a discount for? For me, sitting on the sidelines and watching other people have fun with it is worse than dealing with a few launch bugs.

Not trying to be argumentative or anything, I've genuinely never understood that logic because the only person you're hurting is yourself. If it looks likely that I'm going to buy the game at some point anyway I might as well pre-order and get the free stuff and wait for them to fix any issues through patches. If I was super tight on cash I might have a different opinion but luckily that's not an issue. From what I've seen it looks like I should be able to get $50-60 worth of fun out of it even if I abandon it after six months so I'm not bothered by it. And like I said, I'm so bored with the other sims that I'm pretty much not even turning the rig on anymore so I'm willing to fork over a bit of cash to get something new and exciting that gets me racing again.

That's the part I really don't get. Bugs and performance issues are fixed through patches (usually) and most of the stuff is likely to work fine so you can still enjoy the working parts until the broken parts are fixed. And no game is every going to be completely free of bugs and performance issues, so where do you draw the line on which ones you wait for to get fixed and which ones you accept? And is that worth giving up some free content or a discount for? For me, sitting on the sidelines and watching other people have fun with it is worse than dealing with a few launch bugs.

Not trying to be argumentative or anything, I've genuinely never understood that logic because the only person you're hurting is yourself. If it looks likely that I'm going to buy the game at some point anyway I might as well pre-order and get the free stuff and wait for them to fix any issues through patches. If I was super tight on cash I might have a different opinion but luckily that's not an issue. From what I've seen it looks like I should be able to get $50-60 worth of fun out of it even if I abandon it after six months so I'm not bothered by it. And like I said, I'm so bored with the other sims that I'm pretty much not even turning the rig on anymore so I'm willing to fork over a bit of cash to get something new and exciting that gets me racing again.

I used to be fine with pre-ordering until PCARS 1. I feel like I got burned because my expectations were so high for it and all I got when playing week 1 was discovering so many game-breaking bugs that ruined it. I gave up a few months in and didn't pick it back up, even when I heard it was "fixed". No second chance for a first impression and such. I guess $60 is no big deal when we're dealing with $1,000 rigs here lol but I still felt dirty rewarding an unfinished game. I'd rather have my first impression be made by a complete game and wait for the reviews which'll help determine whether that's what I should be expecting. Basically, I'd rather not be disappointed than miss out on the first few weeks of the game.

I used to be fine with pre-ordering until PCARS 1. I feel like I got burned because my expectations were so high for it and all I got when playing week 1 was discovering so many game-breaking bugs that ruined it. I gave up a few months in and didn't pick it back up, even when I heard it was "fixed". No second chance for a first impression and such. I guess $60 is no big deal when we're dealing with $1,000 rigs here lol but I still felt dirty rewarding an unfinished game. I'd rather have my first impression be made by a complete game and wait for the reviews which'll help determine whether that's what I should be expecting. Basically, I'd rather not be disappointed than miss out on the first few weeks of the game.

It was pretty much the exact same experience for me and I said if I even bothered with PC2 I certainly wouldn't be pre-ordering it, but I just pre-ordered it today. After GT6 I guess I gave up on games making a good first impression, I just presume with any new game there's going to be some bugs and/or broken/missing features and what will follow is a waiting game to see how many of the problems will be fixed and how long it will take. I don't think SMS did a very good job of addressing the issues with the first one, but at this point I'm bored enough with the other sims I'm willing to give it a chance. And mainly I just wanted to get on TS with Wiz on launch day and play around with it, between that and having the full IndCar roster of cars and several IndyCar tracks I'm sure I'll get my $60 worth of fun out of it. :)

Who says there's any logic to it :D
But seriously, I have started to do it like this more and more really. Such as with Dishonored 2 for example. A game I was very interested in. Then I read the reviews and all the bad feedbacks on the performance. So I thought "screw it, I'm just going to wait until they fix the performance issues." The issues were fixed eventually and there was a Steam sale where I got it really cheap. So even if you don't get a pre-order discount you can still get a discount at a later time. If you're willing to wait. And I am. :)
That's for games in general, but I will admit that I'm still considering pre-ordering PCars2. Since I'm pretty sure I will like it (mister dog likes it) and people who have played it are saying the performance is good. And also because sim releases are pretty rare, and I want to support them. Maybe I will end up tossing a coin.

Back