Not open for further replies.

JLBowler

Premium
United States
California
JLBowler
Friday Night Index Racing

Coming soon from the mind of JLBowler

Imagine, if you will, a race series that allows it's drivers to run virtually whatever car they want. A series that allows tuning but doesn't require it. A series that allows any modification to your car. Most importantly, a series that makes it possible for every driver to compete directly with every other driver regardless of their skill level.

Sounds pretty good, doesn't it?

Now imagine that this is done without the use of boost in the game and everyone is on the same tires.

If you're still interested, stay tuned to this thread for an upcoming announcement about a new SNAIL Friday night series of racing.

Index racing is a type of racing that is normally reserved for drag racing. The basic premise is that a time is set that is not allowed to be bested on the run. This series will use a similar method of keeping the competition balanced.

How It Works

Once a course is selected, a time will be set and no driver will be allowed to run faster than that time in the race. Pretty simple, right?

How We Make Sure Drivers Don't Go Faster Than Allowed

Replays will be reviewed and time penalties will be given for any laps below the index time (these are called breakout laps). The time penalty will be a progressive penalty.

• Breakout lap #1 = Time penalty equal to 5 times the amount under the index time.
  • Breakout lap #2 = Time penalty equal to 10 times the amount under the index time.
  • Breakout lap #3 = Time penalty equal to 20 times the amount under the index time.
  • Breakout lap #4 = Time penalty equal to the index time for one lap.

Official results will be calculated using total race times.

What Car Can I Use?

Drivers may use any car they choose to as long as they don't run below the index time. This gives a lot of freedom to drive what you want. There may be times, for certain races, that a theme may be used but that will all come along later in the game and it won't be all the time. Tires will be regulated so that everyone is on the same compound.

Other Information
This will be broken down into individual sections later on down the road.​

All drivers are expected to follow the SNAIL OLR when it comes to race craft. This is meant to be fun and drivers of different skill levels will be able to keep up so if your motivation is to win every race, please stay away. If you're going to spend time trying to find ways to game the rules or sit on the track not racing, don't bother showing up. If you want to enjoy some close racing and have a good time, win, lose, or whatever, this is the spot for you.

We will be using a rolling start for all races. (the process for this is not finalized and may vary from track to track but we will always use a rolling start)

The use of NOS will be prohibited.

If you have the need to slow your car just before the start finish line to try and stay above the index time you must adhere to the following:

A driver who is slowing to stay above the index time must remain at speed until they can move completely out of the racing line. Once they have moved out of the racing line, they may slow down. Once a driver has slowed down, they may not reenter the racing line and fight for position until they have returned to full race speed. (It is suggested that drivers not put themselves in a position to have to do this. This can be easily accomplished by not selecting a car that can easily beat the index time.)​

Draft will be set to real so you'll need to pay attention to it's effects on lap times.

Tire wear and fuel consumption will be off so you won't have to factor that into lap times.

Damage will be set to light.

I'll be working up more details as I have free time. If anyone has any questions about anything or has some ideas to incorporate, feel free to ask or share in the thread.

Last edited:
Racing will begin at at standard SNAIL time of 9:30 ET. This time is still open to discussion.

Schedule for 3/31/17 This will be a testing night for rolling starts
1) Trial Mountain
  • SH tires
  • 1:48.000
2) Brands Hatch Indy
  • SH tires
Schedule for 2/24/17
1) Brands Hatch Indy SH tires 55.000
2) Nurburgring GP/F SS tires 1:58.000
3) Apricot Hill RM tires 1:14.000

Schedule for 2/17/17

1) Tsukuba CS tires 1:08.000
2) Trial Mountain SH tires 1:48.000
3) Circuto d Roma SS tires 1:12.000

Schedule for 2/10/17
1) Laguna Seca CM tires 1:55.000
2) Autumn Ring SM tires 1:27.000
3) High Speed Ring RM tires 1:05.000

All races will be 20 minutes on the endurance setting. If there is still interest after the three races, we can always repeat races. New races can't really be made up on the spot as this series requires some time to fine tune your car.

Last edited:
Results from 2/17/17

Tsukuba 1:08

1. SAMHAIN85
  2. Xrad-11
  3. vincentq4
  4. basswerks1
  5. GTLehman
  6. Raw10_2u
  7. thorracing34
  8. WIDEeyedDRIVER

Trial Mountain 1:48

1. GTLehman
  2. Xrad-11
  3. vincentq4
  4. SAMHAIN85
  5. basswerks1
  6. thorracing34
  7. Raw10_2u

Circuito di Roma 1:12

1. SAMHAIN85
  2. basswerks1
  3. vincentq4
  4. GTLehman
  5. Xrad-11
  6. thorracing34

Results from 2/10/17

Laguna Seca 1:55

1. Rednose 58
  2. basswerks1
  3. jlbowler
  4. vincentq4
  5. SAMHAIN85
  6. Lessenjr
  7. pubason
  8. USER_ID77a23
  9. vsfit
  10. Raw10_2u

Autumn Ring 1:27

1. Rednose58
  2. basswerks1
  3. Raw10_2u
  4. SAMHAIN85
  5. jlbowler
  6. vincentq4
  7. vsfit
  8. pubason
  9. USERID_77a23
  10. thorracing34

High Speed Ring 1:05

1. GTLehman
  2. src_ej6
  3. Rednose58
  4. vincentq4
  5. SAMHAIN85
  6. pubason
  7. basswerks1
  8. jlbowler
  9. vsfit
  10. Raw10_2u
  11. USERID_77a23
  12. Xrad-11
  13. thorracing34

Last edited:
Any road car, or any car what-so-ever?

Any car that will run on the happy side of the index will be allowed. If you want to drag out the Tank Car, be my guest. I'm hoping this will spark the creativity of the drivers which should keep people interested.

In addition to any car being allowed, any amount of tuning (except tires) will be allowed as well. There won't be any advantage to tuning as the index will keep everyone in the same ball park for lap times.

This is VERY interesting to me. I might even consider joining in with my EP3.

What time JL?

This is VERY interesting to me. I might even consider joining in with my EP3.

What time JL?

That is something that is still open to discussion. Anywhere from regular SNAIL start time of 9:30 ET to whenever works for me. What works for those of you that are interested. Keep in mind, there are no points, it's just show up and race. Looking at probably 3 tracks with index times each week and run around a 20 minute race then repeat. If you want to bring multiple cars for each rotation, be my guest. This is all still open to discussion though.

Imagine, if you will, a race series that allows it's drivers to run virtually whatever car they want. A series that allows tuning but doesn't require it. A series that allows any modification to your car. Most importantly, a series that makes it possible for every driver to compete directly with every other driver regardless of their skill level.

Now imagine that this is done without the use of boost in the game and everyone is on the same tires.

If you're still interested, stay tuned to this thread for an upcoming announcement about a new SNAIL Friday night series of racing.

Index racing is a type of racing that is normally reserved for drag racing. The basic premise is that a time is set that is not allowed to be bested on the run. This series will use a similar method of keeping the competition balanced.

How It Works

Once a course is selected, a time will be set and no driver will be allowed to run faster than that time in the race. Pretty simple, right?

Replays will be reviewed and time penalties will be given for any laps below the index time (these are called breakout laps). The time penalty will be 4 times the amount that a driver is under the time. Example: Driver A runs .200 seconds below the index, they would have .800 seconds added to their total race time. Official results will be calculated using total race times.

What Car Can I Use?

Drivers may use any car they choose to as long as they don't run below the index time. This gives a lot of freedom to drive what you want. There may be times, for certain races, that a theme may be used but that will all come along later in the game and it won't be all the time. Tires will be regulated so that everyone is on the same compound.

Other Information

All drivers are expected to follow the SNAIL OLR when it comes to race craft. This is meant to be fun and drivers of different skill levels will be able to keep up so if you're motivation is to win every race, please stay away. If you want to enjoy some close racing and have a good time, win, lose, or whatever, this is the spot for you.

Draft will be set to real so you'll need to pay attention to it's effects on lap times.

Tire wear and fuel consumption will be off so you won't have to factor that into lap times.

I'll be working up more details as I have free time. If anyone has any questions about anything or has some ideas to incorporate, feel free to ask or share in the thread.
I'm in, the earlier the better

I am assuming (yes, I know what that does) that the ROC is going to be run on Feb. 3.

With that in mind, this series will begin on Feb. 10 and will not run opposite the ROC.

I will be putting up four tracks with index times in the next couple of days and we will get this show on the road so get your creative juices flowing for your car selections. The nice thing about this series with open tuning is that you can run a wide variety of cars to a set lap time.

I will make every attempt to have the following weeks tracks and times updated immediately after each week's racing in order to give plenty of time to test and tune. I would like to incorporate a selection process down the line but not base it on results. I would prefer to tie it to voting on the most unique car brought to the show. He who shows the most creativity or brings the most off the wall car to the show would get to pick a track and index time for a future week.

How It Works

Replays will be reviewed and time penalties will be given for any laps below the index time (these are called breakout laps). The time penalty will be 4 times the amount that a driver is under the time. Example: Driver A runs .200 seconds below the index, they would have .800 seconds added to their total race time. Official results will be calculated using total race times.

What Car Can I Use?

Other Information

All drivers are expected to follow the SNAIL OLR when it comes to race craft. This is meant to be fun and drivers of different skill levels will be able to keep up so if you're motivation is to win every race, please stay away. If you want to enjoy some close racing and have a good time, win, lose, or whatever, this is the spot for you.

Any car? I guess I know any car means any car lol but I'll ask any way. Tuner cars(not from the manufacturer) and race cars. Are these allowed??

Edit : bad question lol. Index timing makes car irrelevant

So technically you could pick a fast car, blow through a lap and then if you're 20 seconds ahead of the designated lap time you just slow down/stop right before crossing the finish line? And then cross the line once 20 seconds goes by? Just trying to wrap my head around this, but I'll definitely give it a try.

So technically you could pick a fast car, blow through a lap and then if you're 20 seconds ahead of the designated lap time you just slow down/stop right before crossing the finish line? And then cross the line once 20 seconds goes by? Just trying to wrap my head around this, but I'll definitely give it a try.

Anyone who tries to pull garbage like that will be asked to leave and not come back.

Anyone who tries to pull garbage like that will be asked to leave and not come back.
Its also not optimal, since the next lap will be slower because you're now accelerating instead of already being at speed.

But if any car is allowed, where do you draw the line? Are you just expected to pussyfoot around the track so you dont have such a large gap to deal with by the end of the lap?

I'm not saying I would do that, I'm just trying to understand how this all works.

You are supposed to choose a car that you can run lap times right at the index so that everyone is running lap times very close to each other which will produce close racing.

If someone wants to pick a car that is 20 seconds a lap faster than the index and build a lead then coast, they would not be adhering to the spirit of the event.

Ok that makes sense. So Itd be a good idea to run a few laps ahead of time to get an idea how close your car is to the specified time.

Sounds like fun I'll be there.

Ok that makes sense. So Itd be a good idea to run a few laps ahead of time to get an idea how close your car is to the specified time.

Sounds like fun I'll be there.

Best to run many laps so you know your at the index time ,, probably will not work for the one who does not practice as you'll never know what time your car can run.

Example: The first combo for this week's Sunday racing..... on CS tires

upload_2017-2-6_15-21-45.png

So, looking at this, you know the stock Mazda may struggle to get the 1:54 with CM tires. If you decide to use a Mazda for the index racing, you may want to tune it a bit so you can get more straight line speed and maybe add some aerodynamics to maintain similar corner performance. As long as you can "comfortably" make the 1:54 it will leave you some room to catch up if you a spin out or go off track in one lap.

This is going to be interesting. 1:54 on CM tires in "any car" is not going to be "cruising" around.....
upload_2017-2-6_15-42-12.png

Even if you spin out on a lap, you can't run below the 1:54 to try and catch up on the next lap. Any lap under the index time will result in a time penalty equal to 4 times the amount a driver is under the time.

Tested a few cars tonight and I'm ready to race

Does this include nitrous?

My guess is why not? Again , it's all about consistancy at the index time more than having a faster car. I wouldn't think nitrous would be consistant lap after lap but I can see situations where it could be useful.

Tested a few cars tonight and I'm ready to race

Does this include nitrous?

Go ahead. Throw another variable into a race that is all about consistency. I really think you are over thinking this.

I love this concept. Consistency is typically my strong suit. You guys have fun. 👍

Go ahead. Throw another variable into a race that is all about consistency. I really think you are over thinking this.

All 3 of my cars are within. <2 seconds of each index time on a good lap. Now lets say you get stuck in traffic, go off track, etc. Wouldnt nos be a good thing to have to catch back up to the index time? Especially on 3 tracks that all have pretty long front straights?

I understand this event is only for fun, which you'll realize by the 3 wacky cars I've chosen. I just want to make sure I'm playing by the rules.

Last edited:
All 3 of my cars are within. <2 seconds of each index time on a good lap. Now lets say you get stuck in traffic, go off track, etc. Wouldnt nos be a good thing to have to catch back up to the index time? Especially on 3 tracks that all have pretty long front straights?

I understand this event is only for fun, which you'll realize by the 3 wacky cars I've chosen. I just want to make sure I'm playing by the rules.
Well, if you spin often like me, then Nitrous might be helpful to recoup lost time, but not go under.

That's why I have equipped my cars with nitrous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back