Friday Night Index Racing

• Thread starter JLBowler
  • 142 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
-Dump the NOS.

I hadn't mentioned it here but I'm already considering this.

-2WD cars only.

Drive train restriction was mentioned early on and I may decide to revisit it. It's not an attractive option as the premise here is to run whatever you want as long as you don't beat the time but it may be a necessity at some point just as these other changes have become a necessity.

-Rolling start.

Already under very serious consideration.

-Specify not only a target time, but also a maximum speed. This alone, prevents a lot of the issues you may see with cars that blast the straights, park the turns, and still win. If you slow those cars down on the straights they have to find their speed elsewhere, which further condenses the pack.

I like the idea as a last resort but the enforcement of this seems like it would be a major pain in the hind parts.

-Perhaps have an informal first race/session where folks can practice some and possibly dial in a bit closer to target. This can benefit those outliers who chose extreme oddball cars and those who have not practiced in a pack that week.

The whole thing is meant to be fun and informal. I knew some would not embrace the concept and do whatever they had to do to win, but I guess I didn't give that type of racer enough credit for how far they would take it.

Thanks for taking the time to make suggestions to help us out. It is really appreciated.

To add that your car gets faster in the race, is the fact that you're actually getting "better" with the car the more laps you run. I was noticing this in a few races, wondering why I'm running faster than practice. And part of the reason is from finding speed in some sections of the track I wasn't getting before. Just from being more familiar with the car and its limits. Thats something to take into account too.

In my case I am normally faster when I am not trying as hard, and more relaxed. When I first started SNAIL I was slower in races than practice because I was trying too hard - overdriving the car.

I hadn't mentioned it here but I'm already considering this.

Drive train restriction was mentioned early on and I may decide to revisit it. It's not an attractive option as the premise here is to run whatever you want as long as you don't beat the time but it may be a necessity at some point just as these other changes have become a necessity.

Already under very serious consideration.

I like the idea as a last resort but the enforcement of this seems like it would be a major pain in the hind parts.

The whole thing is meant to be fun and informal. I knew some would not embrace the concept and do whatever they had to do to win, but I guess I didn't give that type of racer enough credit for how far they would take it.

Thanks for taking the time to make suggestions to help us out. It is really appreciated.

I agree on most of these points. I also agree that I'd like to see this be relatively simple, informal fun. One of the things that attracts me is the idea to be able to use ANY car and tune it to work - banning drivetrains, etc. takes away from that. Nitrous should go, but that's about it.

Well, given the disappointment that comes with not making the beta invitation, despite being personal driving instructor to three GTAcademy finalists and being a multi-time SCCA national winner; I may actually be able to make practice/testing if everything works out this evening.

I noticed this evening was noted as utilising the most recent track list. Would the following be the correct selections?

1) Brands Hatch Indy SH tires 55.000
2) Nurburgring GP/F SS tires 1:58.000
3) Apricot Hill RM tires 1:14.000

Well, given the disappointment that comes with not making the beta invitation, despite being personal driving instructor to three GTAcademy finalists and being a multi-time SCCA national winner; I may actually be able to make practice/testing if everything works out this evening.

I noticed this evening was noted as utilising the most recent track list. Would the following be the correct selections?

1) Brands Hatch Indy SH tires 55.000
2) Nurburgring GP/F SS tires 1:58.000
3) Apricot Hill RM tires 1:14.000

Yada., yada, yada. You're not qualified - must be able to spend 20 hours a day in front of the game and susist off of nothing more than week old pizza and Pepsi...

- I just came across a ska song by Hepcat called: 'Marcus Garvey'! A little Google and now I've had history lesson...

Last edited:
I will be along in a little while. This daylight savings thing really sucks for an early start time.

I will be along in a little while. This daylight savings thing really sucks for an early start time.

And there goes that idea. I just got called to umpire tonight. I'm out. If anyone does show up, try some rolling starts and see how it effects first lap times.

And there goes that idea. I just got called to umpire tonight. I'm out. If anyone does show up, try some rolling starts and see how it effects first lap times.
Ah that explains it. I'll be on for about 30 min.

Closing room. Ballpark results: about 3 seconds difference between a standing start and a rolling start at 65mph.

Last edited:
Ah that explains it. I'll be on for about 30 min.

Closing room. Ballpark results: about 3 seconds difference between a standing start and a rolling start at 65mph.

Thanks for checking that out. I got into the second inning of the game and we had to evacuate the park because of a natural gas leak in the area. It's time to start drinking.

Thanks for checking that out. I got into the second inning of the game and we had to evacuate the park because of a natural gas leak in the area. It's time to start drinking.

That's a bummer, glad that you could make the best of it!

We had planned on doing a shore dive when I got off, but Janice was tired and our buddy didn't have his new regulator set up, so we decided to postpone...and start drinking.

I'll see if I can work something up today. It will most likely be something that we have already run due to the lack of advance notice. We'll check out the new regulations and will probably go with a later start time.

The first and second posts have been updated. There is a schedule for this Friday. It's meant to be a testing ground for rolling starts and anything else that needs to be worked out. We will start at 10 PM ET. There are only two combos now so that should mean less testing time. Other changes include the amount of time adjusted for breakout laps. It is now a progressive system with increasing penalties for multiple laps below the index time. The use of NOS is no longer allowed. There is also a specific rule if you need to slow down to stay above the index time.

The next step will be to implement a first lap index time if drivers continue to choose cars that are capable of running much faster than the index. The goal here is to have racing that is close and diversified in the cars being used. IT IS NOT TO CHOOSE A CAR THAT CAN RUN OUT TO A BIG LEAD AND THEN PEDAL THE REST OF THE RACE.

Head count for tonight? If only a couple people intend on showing up I'd rather spend some time with GTS tonight. Racing with only 2 or 3 others doesn't seem much fun to me.

I'm with Sam on this one. If there's only going to be a couple of guys out tonight, I'd rather play with the beta for a while and jump over to this much later in the evening.

I ran the beta earlier and just got done eating dinner. If I'm getting on tonight, it won't be until around 11:30 ET at the earliest. The wife is also starting to work an angle to invite some friends over for drinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back