Friday Rockets 20:30-21:30 BST Congratulations Champion EranFinished 

Hi guys , had fun with the rockets ,on CM tyres it was more than i could handle on my first go ..done a few laps before race and thought i was doing ok ,then in race i found myself over doing it to keep up , so more spinning for me :( . hopefully catch u next time !!! :cheers:

Greeting chaps, what a belting meeting last night! Has an ace scrap with Flaco in the quali race, then showed my appreciation by smashing in to him at the start of the feature. Sorry Flaco :crazy: Not sure where my brain was at that point, making a cup of tea I think.

Anyway, found myself in another great scrap later, this time with Eran, for lap after lap. On one occasion we went in to Eau Rouge side by side, it was brilliant.

Congratulations to jjac, tremendous pace again.

So, on to next week, see if I can avoid hitting people (and getting penalties for sneaking inside corners, naughty naughty)

Cheers, Zo.

It was an excellent race, beautiful battle on front of me in the 1st race, sad that I didn't take part of it !

Very good feelings here at Spa, a track where I ran thousands of lap, I know it so ;) Struggled to take the rhythm in the qualification race, was perfect on the main one ! Lapping around 1:43:4xx, again I was sad to have nobody to fight with...

See you next week! :P

Round 5 Points.jpg

Congratulations to Zolon on leading the Championship. It may look as if he has an unassailable lead, but it is actually very close - one score (the lowest is dropped) which allows for an absence or poor performance. If we deduct one round the difference between 1st and 2nd is 12 points, 1st and 3rd is 15 points and 1st and 4th is 17 points and there are still 150 points available.

If you are interested in joining this series or its sister series - Wednesday Cobras - we have a space waiting for you!

Poster Cobras & Rockets.jpg

Next Round 6 from France: Twin Acres (superb custom track by master trackmaker Eran)

Just a quick reminder that it will soon be time for "Friday Rockets" - I will open the room as soon as I finish my coffee. Until then enjoy this superb new video from Petrolicious - their videos are always beautifully shot and a new one is released every Tuesday. The latest video features the Porsche 718. Our Friday Rockets series is inspired by the 1960 F2 season when Porsche ran their 718 Monoposto. They built two types of 718 - the single seater Monoposto used in Formula 2 and a two seater sports version which was used to win the 1960 Targa Florio. The video features the actual 718 used to win that race, beating a field which included 3 litre V12 Ferraris.

Congratulations to Eran on producing another excellent track, and on a good win following the pressure Simba was applying. And apologies to all for my performance; I haven't a clue how I came second and feel that I didn't deserve it in the slightest. The connection gods screwing with the grid positions ruined it for some, I think :guilty:

Anyway, on to next week, and let's hope for a more compliant internet.

Cheers, Zo. (Bloody well enjoyed it by the way.)

Congratulations to Eran on producing another excellent track, and on a good win following the pressure Simba was applying. And apologies to all for my performance; I haven't a clue how I came second and feel that I didn't deserve it in the slightest. The connection gods screwing with the grid positions ruined it for some, I think :guilty:

Anyway, on to next week, and let's hope for a more compliant internet.

Cheers, Zo. (Bloody well enjoyed it by the way.)

Yeah, the grid positions were odd. The first seven grid slots were empty, and then we had Flaco and Suts starting from the last corner, half a kilometer behind everyone else. There were some problems on Wednesday as well, I don't know if it's because of the servers or because of this particular track, or a combination of both?

Anyway, I enjoyed the race. The Rocket is a lot of fun to drive, and I think it was well suited for the track!

Did much better than I expected. Another amazing track eran. Found myself getting faster the more I got to know it.

Yep..,weird servers/ lag/ starting from final corner was weird as there was no lights or count down. It just said Start. At which point I went and I got a false start penalty! Somehow I caught if and sick and only managed to get past john and richroo because they made mistakes.
Great battle with Paul and sick and somehow got past but then slowed down as I thought I'd made them both crash! Please review sick and send me backwards if that was true.
Rockets amazing fun as always.
See u next week.
:cheers:

Here is a track map for Aintree. It's a replica of the Aintree Motor Racing Circuit, last raced on in 1964 (although the smaller club circuit is still in use).

The track width is 10 meters and that is based on the satellite images. That's one meter wider than Twin Acres, but as this circuit uses the Death Valley theme there are no runoff areas.

A chicane (turn 7) was added for the Rockets, to prevent them from hitting the rev limiter on the back straight. It's a fast chicane, but quite bumpy at the apexes.

Watch out for turn 2, it's extremely tight, with a radius of only 26 meters. For comparison, the tightest turn of Twin Acres had a radius of 38 meters.

aintree_map.jpg

Just a quick reminder that it is Friday Rockets today from "Ainotree" Mexico - a great custom track by Eran based on the layout formerly used for the British Grand Prix. Room opens at 20:25, Qualification race starts at 20:35 - until then enjoy this great new video from Petrolicious on the Dinalpin A110.

Gran Turismo Sport - Thoughts so far ...

Forgive the double post, but this is a new topic. I thought about posting it in the GTP Classix Club thread, but as this thread gets the most traffic I decided to post here and will put a link in the Wednesday Cobras and Club threads (I didn't post it in the GTS section as it would quickly get swamped and is only really relevant to racers in our championships) This post will be about GTS - I hope that you will add your thoughts, comments and any facts to this thread. There is a bewildering amount of stuff on the GTS section of GT Planet and I thought it would be helpful to record our thoughts here, particularly in terms of how the new game will affect Sick's Race Room and our online racing plans for 2017. I was unable to watch the live stream, but watched the last half of the recording which included a Mazda MX5 race at "Tokyo Expressway" a short race at Brands Hatch and a five lap race with pit stop and driver change at the Nordschleife. Subject to time, I will watch the first half this weekend.

To recap - at the start of the year I thought it was likely that GTS would be released in time for Christmas 2016 so I planned GT6 race series up until the end of this year. I decided last October to wait until Black Friday / Cyber Monday 2016 before picking up a PS4 which I will hold back so my wife can let me have it for Christmas along with a copy of GTS or another racing title if reviews from you guys are unfavourable.

What we know so far

Cars 137 new or remodelled for GTS with full interiors
Locations 19 with 27 layouts - I am not sure how this compares with the number currently in GT6
1000 "Scapes" - landscapes / photo locations in which subject to space you can place an unlimited number of cars.
Livery editor with tabs for: Body, Side Mirror, Rear Wing, Wheel, Driver Number and Windshield Banner
FIA sanctioned online events with opportunity to represent Country and / or Manufacturer
The cars are split into groups of cars of equal performance: Gr1, Gr2, Gr3, Gr4 and N.
I read that 19 players can race at once (currently 16)

Thoughts / Speculation

I have long thought that an FIA Manufacturers Championship could only work if the cars were equal in performance - if there was any difference players would just pick the fastest car. They seem to have done this and have split the cars into groups. Group N is for road cars and a Mazda was spotted with N200 on. The guess is that N is split into several divisions e.g. 200, 300 etc. so that cars such as the Corvette and Focus will be placed with cars of equal performance.
It is my guess that no tuning will be possible of cars in FIA sanctioned events - this will ensure that cars remain equal in performance. It could also help with security of the game / prevent hacking.
Another guess is that the gearbox is automatically set to appropriate ratios to match the track that has been selected. This is pure speculation on my part, but if tuning is barred on FIA sanctioned events this would make sense. I didn't see any cars hitting the limiter on the fast straights and there didn't appear to be any difference in speed between the cars.
During the Nordschleife race there were a lot of collisions between cars and they didn't appear to be slowed in a realistic way by going off the track into gravel - this seemed like GT6 with edge grip set to low.
Collisions involving multiple cars triggered a full course yellow with a maximum speed limit of 60mph. After a short time this switched to green and the limit was lifted.
I realise that the players used to demonstrate the game are much better than me, but the cornering speeds did not look realistic - I presume that race soft tyres were used at Brands Hatch and the Nordschleife. At Tokyo Expressway the Mazda MX5's were used and they weren't cornering as if on rails - there was a certain amount of drift angle and the ability of the best drivers to turn in at the correct time predicting the trajectory of the car around high speed corners on a track with barriers was very impressive.

Classic road cars and historic race cars

None have been announced so far - maybe they are being held for GT7 or maybe PD are holding back on some of the Groups so that they can announce them nearer to the release date.

@sirjim73 is at the event in London today and has kindly promised to keep his eyes and ears open for us classic fans. There is a list in the GTS section of the site of who is attending today and many of them are uploading stuff to twitter or their youtube channels. Watch out for stuff posted by Sir Jim and @CORRUPTEDDISC

New Steering Wheel

A new model of steering wheel from Thrustmaster was spotted yesterday - it is believed to be an official GTS wheel and looked very impressive - different from anything seen so far. The guess is that it is a high end wheel and probably a replacement for the T500RS.

Beta - a beta of the game was due to be released in the Spring as a free download - this appears to have been dropped and you will need to wait until 18th November (in the UK) to get a copy of GTS.

Limited Edition Copies - full details are on GTPlanet of limited editions available for the USA and Europe. There is an incredible looking "Group B Rally Mustang" available.

Conclusions

The Scapes mode and the livery editor sound great, but the lack of an announcement regarding classic cars is worrying and may mean that hardcore classic fans will skip this game and move to another such as Project Cars or Asetto Corsa or stick with GT6 until GT7 is released. One of my friends has already switched to Forza, but that is not an option for me as I cannot play with a hand controller and cannot justify the price of a new wheel.

PD seem to have done a great job with the creation of imaginary cars such as the Alfa Romeo 4C, but some of the Vision GT cars frankly look ridiculous on track. I understand that they have had to create imaginary cars in order to have 16 cars in the Manufacturers Cup, but I would much rather have had real cars. The new Mustang is utterly gorgeous, but also crazy - there were plenty of real Group B cars that PD could have chosen including the fabulous Ford RS200 - I don't think there has been a competitive rally Mustang since the days of Bo "Bosse" Ljungfeldt in the mid 1960's.

Please add your thoughts, questions etc - some of the people who read this thread such as @eran0004 and @IfAndOr are very knowledge and together we can sort through the mountains of information to find the nuggets.

Last edited:
Good to have these comfy corners to discuss GTS outside the hurricanes of the GTS forum. :)👍
I like the graphics quality and the framerate of the game based on what i saw yesterday. I hope to learn more about the online race features like yellow flags on collisions -- are they called by the game automatically or can they be triggered by the host or dedicated stewards? I also hope they refine and enhance the online room setup with finer control over what cars and tuning is allowed and more options for room setup templates to setup up events in advance and have less fiddling to do in the room. I'm curious why they stripped down the car count that much -- after all there are over 400 premium cars in GT6 right now and half of that can't be brought over to GTS? Let's see what today and the next days bring...

I still need to get a PS4, so I will get a GTSPORT Copy. But to be honest in my opinion, GTSPORT is doing a great job on scanning the cars from the ground up so far. And seeing all cars with detailed interiors is amazing in my opinion and even better, a livery editor so we won't have the number confusion anymore! ;)

I was impressed with the trees at the Nordschleife and also with grass at Brands Hatch - I go to that track quite often and the patches of mud and thin grass at some points around the track were very realistic. The Tokyo Expressway looked tricky to race on - I am sure it would be very good at night. Livery editor is very welcome - hopefully it has a simple mode because I want to be able to add stripes and change bonnets, boots and roofs.

I hope they add some FIA classic / historic groups - a classic saloon category featuring Mini, Ford Cortina, Alfa Romeo, BMW, Jaguar, Mercedes, Renault, Chevrolet could be very popular and period correct.

I'm curious why they stripped down the car count that much -- after all there are over 400 premium cars in GT6 right now and half of that can't be brought over to GTS? Let's see what today and the next days bring...

My guess is that it's partly to get higher quality models, and partly to enable the livery editor. I suspect that these models need to be made with the livery editor in mind, it's not just a function you can add to earlier models.

That being said, I don't think the cars from GT6 that made it to GT Sport so far were entirely redone from scratch, they probably used the mesh from the old models and cleaned them up a little where needed (which might explain the jagged wheel arches on the SLS GT3 car that you may have seen), so hopefully most of the premiums from GT5 and GT6 could make their way over to the PS4 with GT Sport or whatever comes next.

As for classic cars: None so far. But I guess the priority was to fill the different classes. There is a possibility that there may be some classic cars in the N class, we'll have to see about that. This is a very E-sports focused title though, so the traditional GT way of paying homage to automotive history may have to wait for a later title. Given that they're still doing the Concours d'Elegance I don't think PD have abandoned classic cars altogether, but chances are that we might have to wait for GT7 before they return in full glory.

Based on the live stream footage yesterday, the classes seem well balanced. Brands Hatch looked awesome, and parts of the Nordschleife as well. It looks like Nordschleife is still work on progress though, as the quality was very uneven. I like the new Tokyo track, a fast and narrow track with walls right on the track edges - looked very exciting :D

As for how the track count compares, looks like it's fewer than in GT6. I guess a couple of tracks might be added as DLC later on.

Here is the track count in GT6, based entirely on my memory, so there may be some tracks missing...

TOTAL - 39 locations, 97 layouts?

EUROPE - 9 locations, 28 layouts?

Silverstone - 4 layouts
Brands Hatch - 4 layouts
Goodwood - 3 layouts?
La Sarthe - 4 layouts?
Spa - 2 layouts
Nürburgring - 5 layouts
Red Bull Ring - 2 layouts
Monza - 3 layouts?
Ascari - 1 layout?

JAPAN & AUSTRALIA - 5 locations, 11 layouts?
Bathurst - 1 layout
Suzuka - 3 layouts
Fuji - 2 layouts
Twin Ring Motegi - 4 layouts?
Tsukuba - 1 layout

USA - 4 locations, 8 layouts?
Laguna Seca - 1 layout
Willow Springs - 2 layouts
Daytona - 3 layouts?
Indianapolis - 2 layouts?

ORIGINAL - 10 locations, 21 layouts?
Route X - 1 layout
Apricot Hill - 1 layout?
Midfield Raceway - 1 layout?
Grand Valley - 4 layouts?
High Speed Ring - 2 layouts
Deep Forest - 2 layouts
Trial Mountain - 2 layouts?
Cape Ring - 4 layouts?
Kart Space - 2 layouts?
GT Arena - 2 layouts?

SNOW & DIRT - 3 locations, 12 layouts?
Chamonix - 4 layouts?
Tuscany - 2 layouts
Eiger - 6 layouts?

CITY - 7 locations, 14 layouts?
Tokyo Route 246 - 2 layouts
Rome - 2 layouts
Madrid - 4 layouts?
London - 1 layout?
Côte d'Azure - 1 layout?
SSR5 - 2 layouts?
SSR7 - 2 layouts

SPACE - 1 location, 3 layouts
The Moon - 3 layouts

My guess is that it's partly to get higher quality models, and partly to enable the livery editor. I suspect that these models need to be made with the livery editor in mind, it's not just a function you can add to earlier models.

A little speculative, but i can imagine the support for the VR headset coming later this year could make more detailed interiors a necessity. So much hardware purchase decisions... :crazy: :lol:

A little speculative, but i can imagine the support for the VR headset coming later this year could make more detailed interiors a necessity. So much hardware purchase decisions... :crazy: :lol:

Good point. That might be why the VGT's had no interior view in GT6, because the models were too detailed for the PS3?

I think the reason the majority of VGT's didn't have an interior was because the manufacturers never supplied PD with any. I think the open topped cars had to have them since it would have looked odd being just blank.

GTS - I'll have a look at today's information and get back to you. Looks good though in some ways a little underwhelming so far. However details are still sketchy.

See you on track in a little while. 👍

Greetings chaps. GTS? Isn't that the underwhelming mongrel PD will be releasing in 2018?

Anyway, to the present day, or more accurately next Friday. I'm going to be away I'm afraid, and can't make it. There goes my missed score cushion.

Sad that the connection gods screwed with the grid last night. I find that I can't race when I know that someone's been unfairly hammered in grid position, it puts me right off. Still, I don't think that I'd have stopped Simba, or Eran for that matter. Or the flying Frenchman. I take it he got DCd?

I know that setting the grid to fastest first, then lining up on track before initiating the race does work. Just a thought.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Cheers, Zo.

Had fun in the rockets. Shame about the network.
Apologies to Lex as I think I went off at the chicane and he couldn't avoid me and then either left or got Dc'd.

Excellent track. The chicane was impressive and threw me off a few times. Given I only raced the track for the first time during the race i doubt I'd have done better even with practice!

I've read nothing about GTS. I will do and give my opinion later Sick.
:cheers:

Greetings chaps. GTS? Isn't that the underwhelming mongrel PD will be releasing in 2018?

Anyway, to the present day, or more accurately next Friday. I'm going to be away I'm afraid, and can't make it. There goes my missed score cushion.

Sad that the connection gods screwed with the grid last night. I find that I can't race when I know that someone's been unfairly hammered in grid position, it puts me right off. Still, I don't think that I'd have stopped Simba, or Eran for that matter. Or the flying Frenchman. I take it he got DCd?

I know that setting the grid to fastest first, then lining up on track before initiating the race does work. Just a thought.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Cheers, Zo.

Personally I don't mind starting from last, I'd rather do that than taking five more minutes away from the race trying to reorganize the grid.

However, one option could perhaps be to skip the qualifying race altogether, as the grid order is based on the fastest laps anyway (they are saved for as long as you stay on the track). So maybe there could be 10-15 minutes of open practice/qualification and then we simply go straight to the main race at 20:45? That way we could also make the races a little longer, like 30 to 40 minutes or so.

Oh, and just for the record, my disconnection wasn't really a disconnection. What happened was that I entered the track, and then selected the race settings menu before the game had finished loading me in the pit, and my PS3 objected strongly against that. It basically turn my console into a slow motion syrup swamp. Even the loading icons were bogged down... Eventually I managed to reach the XMB menu to quit the game, and then everything was back to normal.

As for the race, it was great! I think I had a bad line through the chicane though, because it seemed like I always lost time there. The Rocket was a bit more sensitive to the bumps than the Cobra.

Sorry, but i thought i could make it this time but real life got in the way. :indiff:
I guess i have to step down to reserve for this series.

No need to become a reserve because we have plenty of spaces available for this series - just attend when you can.

Personally I don't mind starting from last, I'd rather do that than taking five more minutes away from the race trying to reorganize the grid.

However, one option could perhaps be to skip the qualifying race altogether, as the grid order is based on the fastest laps anyway (they are saved for as long as you stay on the track). So maybe there could be 10-15 minutes of open practice/qualification and then we simply go straight to the main race at 20:45? That way we could also make the races a little longer, like 30 to 40 minutes or so.

I'm going to stick with the qualification race format as it has several advantages - it gets people to turn up promptly, but if they are running late they can arrive after the start of the first race and start from last in the feature race. It gives people some practise under race conditions and it gives them two races so more possibilities of having at least one good race experience.

The Feature race was recently shortened from 30 minutes to 25 minutes to make it easier to keep the meeting on schedule, but I also had feedback from some racers that 30 minutes was too long and they were struggling to maintain concentration and stay error free for that length of time. It matches the length of the main race from our old Sunday races and seems a good compromise between those wanting shorter races and those wanting longer ones.

Back to GTS - I started off reasonably enthusiastic, but I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that it doesn't have much to offer for me personally - I don't like the Vision GT cars - I understand that the manufacturers like them and they are a good training exercise for junior design staff etc, but most of them just look silly on a race track with other cars - a bit like when you watch a science fiction film and you see supposed cars of the future driving about.

I'm not keen on the made up race cars either and however beautiful the Group B rally Mustang is - that is just a daft idea.

I will probably get a PS4 for Christmas 2016 - I've been getting virtual tokens each birthday and Christmas for at least two years as the cost is far outside the budget that my family and I use for presents - but I might not get GTS. Feedback from friends so far has been that Project Cars is impressive, but boring. I will be interested in your opinions of GTS and also the reviews of Asetto Corsa. I am hoping that GT7 will launch in time for Christmas 2017 and that updating of the premium models is a quick process just done to enable the livery editor and perhaps improve the interior lighting model - many currently have cockpits too dark to drive in. There are many cars which should be in a future GT game based on winning various car shows - I am hoping they can speed up that process so that we get the models expected although some won a few years ago and there has been no indication of any progress.

Quite a good thread with impressions from people who went to the GTS event.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...tplanet-first-hand-impressions-thread.346293/

I mentioned above that I was underwhelmed, but on further consideration I think with the limited information we have it's to early to judge the game fully. It seems to be a restricted version that was available that was not really showing the full capabilities that the final version may have. No doubt during the next six months we'll get better/further information on the details. I just hope that they concentrate on the core gameplay and not spend time on unnecessary features.

The only thing I'd ask is where does it fit in because it's not GT7. Would I buy it as a fill in, I'm not sure.

A couple of things I did notice is that the bonnet view (which I tend to use) still varies between cars and still doesn't have a mirror, not that I saw anyway. If they've made new models surely that would have been a good time to make them all the same - at the base of the windscreen.
Oh and it still has a credit system which I find off-putting. I hate grinding.

Edit: Perhaps they have had to remodel the cars so they can introduce damage effects at a later stage.

Last edited:
Death Valley_14.jpg Death Valley_15.jpg Death Valley_15.jpg Death Valley_16.jpg Death Valley_17.jpg Death Valley_18.jpg Death Valley_19.jpg Death Valley_20.jpg Death Valley_21.jpg Death Valley_22.jpg Death Valley_23.jpg Death Valley_24.jpg Death Valley_25.jpg Death Valley_26.jpg Death Valley_27.jpg Death Valley_28.jpg

Attachments

• Death Valley_29.jpg
    Death Valley_29.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Death Valley_30.jpg
    Death Valley_30.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Death Valley_31.jpg
    Death Valley_31.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 12
  • Death Valley_32.jpg
    Death Valley_32.jpg