From Gran Turismo to Forza

• Thread starter theschledy
  • 30 comments
Canada
Toronto
Hi everyone,

I'm a GT Sport player, probably never touched Forza since the first one.

There's a couple of local competitions in my area that I wanted to jump in to, but of course never playing Forza I'm not sure what to expect. How does the car handling & physics in Forza compare to GT sport? Anything I should look out for?

Any help is much appreciated!

Hi everyone,

There's a couple of local competitions in my area that I wanted to jump in to, but of course never playing Forza I'm not sure what to expect. How does the car handling & physics in Forza compare to GT sport? Anything I should look out for?

Don't start with sim steering, normal steering is closer to GTS. And be sure to put all the deadzone to 0 in the extra controller setting. Also do you play on pc or Xbox? If pc check your graphic settings and turn of dynamic optimization, because it can make the game look bad even if your pc is strong enough to run it on ultra. Also start testing with normal slow cars to get a feeling of the physics. Its a bit different compared to GTS, the cars have more weight and the tire physics are superior. And if you play with a FFB wheel be sure the check the FFB Forza 7 thread, because the base settings are not that good and after some tweaks its decent on some cars and good on others. Also you will have a hard time choosing cars in this game, its over 800 now :) and there are decent amount of tracks with most of them with weather wich is a nice bonus. they also affect the physics with hydroplanning wich is one of the best now. And enjoy the game mate :)

Cars feel more "lively" in FM, they tend to move around a lot more than in GT. You're definitely not on rails, especially with the older open-wheelers and prototypes. Physics are generally solid, perhaps a bit more forgiving and easier to get into than GT:S seems to be, without being massively unrealistic. The FWD physics are much better, and the feedback you get from the XBONE gamepad triggers is second to none. You also have a metric crap ton of cars to choose from, and none of them are powered by lasers. Track selection's fairly good, with many American racetracks, and all the good European/Asian stuff as well. The T10 made tracks are trash, however, (Bernese Alps and Prague are tolerable at best, but Rio and Dubai are unenjoyable filth) probably my biggest issue with the game.

Oh, and the penalty system actually works. Downside to that functionning penalty system is that only 2-3 lobbies have it implemented seeing how it's in open beta form in order to make it better in FM8. But it works.

Slow cars are probably the most fun cars in Forza coming from GT. I love muscle cars and they are pretty boring in GTSport but in Forza it's like heaven for me. So many and so fun. I am a bit more skeptical when it comes to racing cars, they seem to have no grip?!
All in all, Forza is a platform seller for me and the amount of great cars and amazing American tracks can't be find nowhere else.

I average 20 hours a week racing between rFactor 2 leagues and ACC.
I say that not to sound anything other than an avid sim racer that’s probably driven every offering since 1999.
Forza Motorsport 7 really surprised me.

I expected the eye candy, optimization, UI, and leveling system to be good but the physics had me scratching my head hmm this is an arcade console racer?

It is good, very good. They’ve managed to appease their target audience and also appeal to the more hardcore crowd.
I can get this software to run 120fps on ultra, running triples at 1440 and it supports motion/tactile.

It’s my fantastic go to fun simulator that gives me car customization and collectibility.

GT Sport never managed to catch my interest, but 7 has left me curious what Turn 10 will do with 8.

I know they've got a lot more going on under the hood being full blown sims, but after trying Dirt Rally 2.0 and now PC2 on the Xbox S, I have to say I really appreciate how T10 managed to deliver decent graphics and a smooth frame rate with FM7 on the S.

Last edited:
I know they've got a lot more going on under the hood being full blown sims, but after trying Dirt Rally 2.0 and now PC2 on the Xbox S, I have to say I really appreciate how T10 managed to deliver decent graphics and a smooth frame rate with FM7 on the S.

Benefits of buying from a first-party developer. :)👍

You should see F7 on the X by the way. :D

As for delivering 60 fps, you have to realise that Dirt Rally 2.0 and PCARS 2 have a more nuanced driving model, especially the latter. that's very demanding on the CPU.

Hi everyone,

I use Simulation Steering, ABS on, Stability On, Brake Line only, and use a PS4 controller. Also, steering deadzone in 0 and Steering max at 100. Apparently wheels are really bad on this game and Xbox controller is too soft and very difficult to steer with.

Another PC user here, there's nothing wrong with the Xbox controller at all. Feels identical to the console version.

Agree, I'm talking more about the feel of the joysticks. I rather play with the PS4 as they have a little more resistance to the movement and make for better accuracy while turning. Imo, Xbox Controllers have too soft joysticks.

I don't want to turn this into a war and everyone's preferences are their own. However, for me the triggers on the Xbox pad are a lot easier to brake and accelerate with than the Dualshock although the latter has improved a little recently.

Last edited:
Agree, I'm talking more about the feel of the joysticks. I rather play with the PS4 as they have a little more resistance to the movement and make for better accuracy while turning. Imo, Xbox Controllers have too soft joysticks.
Understandable, and I myself actually use those Kontrol Freak Joystick extenders, and that seemed to have helped out wonders in Racing games and Shooting games in general.

Understandable, and I myself actually use those Kontrol Freak Joystick extenders, and that seemed to have helped out wonders in Racing games and Shooting games in general.
I really tried with Kontrol Freek but they kept falling off the pad sticks. :(

I really tried with Kontrol Freek but they kept falling off the pad sticks. :(
Is the rim of your sticks kind of worn down? My older pad was doing the same thing because the rubber on the rim of the sticks was deteriorating. Those little things help me out so much with precision on basically any game that needs it. The drawback is that is if you start using them for a good while, when you try playing with out them its just..weird. :boggled:

I use these ones:

Inferno_XB1_300x.jpg

They're extremely ugly, but I haven't had a problem with looseness yet. :lol:

I use these ones:

Inferno_XB1_300x.jpg

They're extremely ugly, but I haven't had a problem with looseness yet. :lol:
Good for you. I was so upset last time that I just threw mine in the bin as returning them to the US would've been too much hassle. I think they were CQC's. I'm happy for you but I ain't about to get back on that saddle again. Once bitten, as Vesta Williams once put it.

never playing Forza I'm not sure what to expect.
Expect a good game.

I had a similar journey. Went from GT to PC simracing and after wife complained of too many electronics around the house I downgraded to Xbox One X. It’s a simplier setup, but I should probably say upgraded not downgraded, because now I can play in better quality that with my gaming pc

Anyways. I’m glad I did this change, everything is better, easier, smoother.

Physics are generally solid, perhaps a bit more forgiving and easier to get into than GT:S seems to be
No way. Kemmel straight (Spa-Francorchamps) to turn 7. After hitting near 200 mph a GT3 car will require to start breaking just before the 200 meter post in any decent game. In GT Sport my breaking point was way beyond that. These are Hollywood film physics, if you know what I mean.
I think there is a general misconception that GT Sport has good phisics, is not true. GT Sport is to simracing what McDonald's is to cuisine: fun, enjoyable, but is just a burger. FM acknowledges that is also a burger, so they tried to make a better burger, they are like Five Guys. (by the way, burgers and beers in London, who is in??

Forza Motorsport 7 really surprised me.
Me too. I have a new wheel though, so probably that makes the surprise effect double? The cars are alive, I can feel the tail waiving under heavy breaking. The level up makes sense, you collect cars and you can unlock more (seems a bit like the BMW tiers to unlock extras when you buy a real car).

You should see F7 on the X by the way.
Mind-blowing. beautiful graphics, stable fps. superb.

Just tested FM7 on pc from gamepass with a wheel. After GT Sport and Assetto Corsa + Competizione I was expecting some nice moments with cars and tracks less travelled.

Must say driving with a wheel was a terrible experience. Porsche 911 rs was just weird. Messed-up FFB stock setting must have been a big factor, but the fact a 911 cup rs with big fat slicks couldnt hold a line through fast corner at 90kph was just off. Had a feeling its case of unnaturally added slipperiness. The M8 gt3/gte felt planted, but there was no feel from the car at ffb and brakes felt a bit on/off.

Either this game doesnt like thrustmaster wheels or its designed for gamepad. Really cant recommend for wheel user based on my short experience.

The mandatory car collecting also demands time before you can enjoy racing. If you want anything towards simulator dont buy FM and if you like car GAMES Forza Horizon really is a superior game.

Last edited:
It's this one. Hopefully improving wheel support is a part of their seeming revamp of the series.

To be fair, also with gamepad Forza7 feels a bit off.

There is always a sense of dampening to the steering, which causes some detachment between player's input and actual car behaviour.
Also there is the very famous issue of the aided assist (not selectable) which always kicks in tight cornering to."simulate" the lose of grip.
This issue is vastly documented on every racing forum.

All these issues are particularly evident in some cars, and less noticeable in others, but in general the game is far from providing a "true" feeling of the car behaviour, even with all assists off.

Ah, I Just spotted this thread after spending my first bit of time with a wheel. I moved from mainly playing GTS to Assetto Corsa and bits and bobs of other PC sims. Coming into Forza, to my reference point of a Formula 1 car at Nordschleife, I just can't work out what's going on with the physics.

It's like speed doesn't really impact braking distances and downforce doesn't feel like downforce - more like it's being applied at the surface of the road or something. I'll admit that I played with a T300 as well, but that force feedback isn't exactly informative. If anything, it's about as awkward as I remember the controller experience being. That said, I played the EGX demo on a Fanatec cockpit and I remember the experience being quite similar there as well.

Am I playing the game wrong or something?

To be fair, also with gamepad Forza7 feels a bit off.

There is always a sense of dampening to the steering, which causes some detachment between player's input and actual car behaviour.
Also there is the very famous issue of the aided assist (not selectable) which always kicks in tight cornering to."simulate" the lose of grip.
This issue is vastly documented on every racing forum.

All these issues are particularly evident in some cars, and less noticeable in others, but in general the game is far from providing a "true" feeling of the car behaviour, even with all assists off.
GT and Forza has always had dampening in the steering, it's what makes it so accessible. I believe setting your steering to simulation might eliminate that.

What's the aided assist you're talking about though? I don't think I've ever heard it brought up once.

If anything, it's about as awkward as I remember the controller experience being
Not sure about a wheel, but the controller experience doesn't seem awkward at all, in my opinion - It's actually pretty informative and straight forward. I can definitely say that speed does affect braking distance though. As for downforce, it has worked for me but I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about in that regard.

Last edited:
Not sure about a wheel, but the controller experience doesn't seem awkward at all, in my opinion - It's actually pretty informative and straight forward. I can definitely say that speed does affect braking distance though. As for downforce, it has worked for me but I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about in that regard.
Thinking about it, the linear force curve in the Xbox One's triggers places a greater emphasis on muscle memory than the irregular one in the DualShock 4's L2 and R2 buttons. I generally find it a bit difficult to adapt to such a similar, but different experience. The position and shape of the sticks hasn't really done much for me either.

But in the game itself, the way Forza handles steering inputs doesn't really agree with me as far as precision goes.

On the wheel, I find that in some cases the brakes are really hard to get a knack for after spending so long in more focussed sims. I get to any given braking point and slow it down where I think I should be doing - but then I feel like I've hit the brakes too soon, so I ease up a bit, only to be caught out by the gravel trap. If I don't ease up, however, I just arrive at the corner at too low a speed to enter it properly. Clearly speed does affect braking distance, but the relationship between the two factors is a bit weird to me in this case.

With the force feedback, I'm a bit thrown off by the slightly random impulses that don't seem to correspond with what the car is doing in addition to the lack of weight coming in when I'm at what should be the optimum steering angle. Tying it in with the downforce confusion, it makes it feel like turning the wheel just redirects the front end around a given radius, rather than directly interacting with the front wheels and the road. If I were to put words to it, 'floaty', 'indirect' and 'light' come to mind. It makes it really hard for me to notice and correct losses of grip.

Thinking about it, the linear force curve in the Xbox One's triggers places a greater emphasis on muscle memory than the irregular one in the DualShock 4's L2 and R2 buttons. I generally find it a bit difficult to adapt to such a similar, but different experience. The position and shape of the sticks hasn't really done much for me either.

But in the game itself, the way Forza handles steering inputs doesn't really agree with me as far as precision goes.

On the wheel, I find that in some cases the brakes are really hard to get a knack for after spending so long in more focussed sims. I get to any given braking point and slow it down where I think I should be doing - but then I feel like I've hit the brakes too soon, so I ease up a bit, only to be caught out by the gravel trap. If I don't ease up, however, I just arrive at the corner at too low a speed to enter it properly. Clearly speed does affect braking distance, but the relationship between the two factors is a bit weird to me in this case.

With the force feedback, I'm a bit thrown off by the slightly random impulses that don't seem to correspond with what the car is doing in addition to the lack of weight coming in when I'm at what should be the optimum steering angle. Tying it in with the downforce confusion, it makes it feel like turning the wheel just redirects the front end around a given radius, rather than directly interacting with the front wheels and the road. If I were to put words to it, 'floaty', 'indirect' and 'light' come to mind. It makes it really hard for me to notice and correct losses of grip.
I for one don't like the sticks much on any controller, I always opt for extenders like Kontrolfreak for racing games as well as shooting games, and I think that makes a big difference for me, to be honest. It's very likely the damper you're talking about, if you're looking for precision in the steering input, have you tried using Simulation steering?

I myself use the braking line when driving just because I use too many different vehicles and really don't stick to any one in particular, but even then I always brake way later than it tells me. If anything the brakes are too good in this game, but speed definitely does affect them. The problem here I think is that you shouldn't be treating it like more focused sims, it's not really the same in that regard, this is much lower compared to the likes of PCars or AC.

Unfortunately I can't speak on FFB, as I don't have a wheel.

I for one don't like the sticks much on any controller, I always opt for extenders like Kontrolfreak for racing games as well as shooting games, and I think that makes a big difference for me, to be honest. It's very likely the damper you're talking about, if you're looking for precision in the steering input, have you tried using Simulation steering?

I myself use the braking line when driving just because I use too many different vehicles and really don't stick to any one in particular, but even then I always brake way later than it tells me. If anything the brakes are too good in this game, but speed definitely does affect them. The problem here I think is that you shouldn't be treating it like more focused sims, it's not really the same in that regard, this is much lower compared to the likes of PCars or AC.

Unfortunately I can't speak on FFB, as I don't have a wheel.
I've been using the Simulation setting and it's really presented me with all the oddities mentioned above. Even taking the 'stick a bit of lock on and see how it goes' approach is a bit hit-and-miss. I'll give it another hour or so tonight to see if I can adjust to it any better.

Back