From GT to Forza: Is It Worth It?

• Thread starter WWE907
  • 80 comments
I compare FM5 to GT6 as they're both the latest iterations. FM5 was a massive step back while GT6 makes me believe they PD listens to the fans once in a while. Oh, and sim steering is better for some but not all. The fastest guy in FM4 uses normal steering.

I compare FM5 to GT6 as they're both the latest iterations. FM5 was a massive step back while GT6 makes me believe they PD listens to the fans once in a while. Oh, and sim steering is better for some but not all. The fastest guy in FM4 uses normal steering.
Well i think it's better to compare FM4 to GT6 seeing they are both on current gen consoles, so it demonstrates what a developer can do with the limited hardware on offer.

Also FM5 is more of a prologue game i think, so better compare it with GT7 prologue when that is released somewhere this xmas ;).

I'm talking about improvements to the game that are feasible and desired by many fans. Forza has skipped out on a demanded weather/night racing feature for 5 straight games while games on PS1 had that. However GT6 has gone with a very CoD style rinse and repeat method with only a few extras for each release. And for console jumps, take GT3 for example. It was a HUGE jump from 2, that's why it sold so well. FM5 wasn't an improvement besides some graphics and MINOR physics. Features suffered as a result, and that's what people want above all else.

I would rate Gran Turismo above Forza on tracks, the selection of slower cars, creative ideas (track generator, moon rover), and diversity (rally, weather, time-of-day). It has the potential to be a much better game.

And I see it the other way, GT6 is the same old thing. Forza has raised the quality of physics to a very impressive level and is a great place to build upon for future FM XBOX1 releases.

No doubt it's fun, I'll drive 1000+ HP cars with no TCS, it's just easier and arguably quicker for lap times to use it because it doesn't limit your power like it should. But the motion effects are awful... My C 9 looks like it's hitting warp speed on Indy when it's on!

Hahah! Yeah I hear that! Motion effects off makes everything look and feel right; it feels like a driving sim rather than a racing game "attempting" to simulate Gs and inertia.

I would rate Gran Turismo above Forza on tracks, the selection of slower cars, creative ideas (track generator, moon rover), and diversity (rally, weather, time-of-day). It has the potential to be a much better game.

PD have no excuse with the next GT on the PS4. It's either going to be a major hit or they're missing the mark completely. I don't think they can get away with another "in between".

And I see it the other way, GT6 is the same old thing. Forza has raised the quality of physics to a very impressive level and is a great place to build upon for future FM XBOX1 releases.

Future Forza products can really work wonders, as long as they have stiff competition. They don't unfortunately, so they get to "take it easy" for a while.

Anybody here think Forza would be a much more deep and diverse game had limitations not been posed by Microsoft?

I've decided that when I get an Xbox 360, I am going to purchase Forza Motorsport 3 and 4. I've been playing Gran Turismo ever since I got my PS2 back in 2003, and I've loved it ever since. I've heard people say Forza is 10 times better than GT could ever hope to be, and I've heard others say the opposite. So what I want to know is, is it worth it? What, other than the livery editor, does Forza have that GT doesn't? Thanks for any feedback! :)
I come from forza mate , I decided to go for gt6 because of the price of a xbox one and a brand new wheel and you can't imagine how I regret my decision gt is far from forza ! Forza 4 was realesed in 2011 bro and he is better from all aspect to gt6 exept maybe the suspension physic which is better on gt6 but it's no flagrant ! The other point which is the most important is turn 10 don't fart higher than one ass as pd and they always respect their deadlines and the most important never lie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I finnally got it, and I must say it was a good idea. It is fun, and that's what a game must be. Inertias are great, sounds too, every car has interiors... Plus points for me. But this don't mean I will swap sides. I still will play GT as I did now for years, but changing when I want, just as I did with GT and PC sims like rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa.

No fanboy-ism, every one has his strongs and weaks.

I'm no newbie to Forza or GT. (I started with Forza 1 on the original Xbox, and played GT2 to death from 2000 and still love it), but when the RROD put an end to my Forza 3 fun four years ago, I went back to GT4. I lost interest after a year or so, and found the game pretty one dimensional. I've played GT5 on a friend's PS3 and thought it was nothing special. OK graphics, pretty lousy, predictable car list and OK tracks. "Average" would be how I'd describe it.

Now I've got a new 360, and a copy of Forza 4. Oh. My. God. Blew me away. Truly interesting car choice, amazing looking graphics and detailed, really stunning tracks. And you can actually modify the cars the way you want, and you can change the alloys etc on all of the cars in Forza, unlike GT5.

Go for it. Far superior game in every way. As a GT person...I never thought I'd say that!

I'm suggesting you to stay in Gran Turismo. You can enjoy a lot of tracks and cars and you can receive more stuff via updates for FREE. Forza is just the easy solution. Gran Turismo finds prototype ideas and has a very special spirit for a car lover.

I'm suggesting you to stay in Gran Turismo. You can enjoy a lot of tracks and cars and you can receive more stuff via updates for FREE. Forza is just the easy solution. Gran Turismo finds prototype ideas and has a very special spirit for a car lover.
Why is that a reason to avoid a game all together? The easy solution would be to stay with GT. If you consider yourself an avid gamer and car/racing enthusiast then it would definitely be a worth while pick up.

Also, Forza has given away plenty of things for free as well.

Also, Forza has given away plenty of things for free as well.
I don't have a reason to believe that. Forza just takes stuff from other games to collect people. I can find a same great livery editor in a Need for Speed or in a Test Drive Unlimited 2 too, without giving a ton of cash for just a new console and a new game. If you want another example take the Top Gear Test Track. It was in GT5, but Microsoft decided to "put the hand in the pocket" and bring it to Forza, hoping for more sales and fans.

I don't have a reason to believe that. Forza just takes stuff from other games to collect people. I can find a same great livery editor in a Need for Speed or in a Test Drive Unlimited 2 too
Going by that logic, why even by any game if other games already had cars in them, or why by any other shooter after Goldeneye, if I already had a game that had guns in it?

without giving a ton of cash for just a new console and a new game.
Valid point, but I'm sure the OP had already thought about the cost, and is still interested. Cost aside, I think its a worthwhile pickup.

If you want another example take the Top Gear Test Track. It was in GT5, but Microsoft decided to "put the hand in the pocket" and bring it to Forza, hoping for more sales and fans.
I'll just say this, GT was not the first to do alot of the things it has in its games either. That is totally irrelevant though.

I would say, don't "switch" until you've exhausted the appeal of GT6. Meantime, play BOTH. Both are great games, with much to offer.

That said, I have actually "switched" from Forza 4 (and 3, 2 and 1) to GT6 (and 5) because after a zillion hours of gameplay, Forza had become stale.

If you can get beyond the religious attitude that one game MUST be better than the other, and accept that they are different and that your gameplay in each will go in different directions, you'll have a lot of fun.

They each have their own unique differences.

For example, GT6 has a heap of tracks, weather and time of day which FM4 does not. So that provides a wonderful variety of driving experiences.

FM4 has a livery editor which GT6 does not, and you can burn endless hours in artistic pursuits or just dress up your cars with a few well-chosen shapes and colors.

Both have the ability to photograph cars and tracks, with GT6 having a far faster and more friendly workflow. Both can produce 8.3 megapixel images. Both are good, but different.

FM4 provides an auction house where you can buy and sell cars. Some players gamble there for bargains and resell them to earn quick credits. You can avoid the hard work in the livery editor by buying a pre-decorated car. Elsewhere, you can buy and sell livery designs (or give them away for free), and the same for tunes.

If the speed of evolution and scope of GT6 is enough to provide sufficient "freshness" to keep you interested, don't leave it behind, continue to play both. I know I have barely scratched the surface (pardon the pun) of dirt tracks, and weather/time change as an example. I've driven nearly 14,000 miles and taken nearly 2,000 photos, and I still don't smell any "staleness".

Would you like to compare how much free DLC GT6 has compared to say, FM5? It's not as big a difference as you think. There's a reasonable number of free cars and three free tracks. I'd say that the two are about even, as far as free updates are concerned. It's more whether you're interested in real cars or in fantasy stuff like the Red Bulls or the VGTs.

The major difference is that FM5 has additional DLC available for purchase, if you have more money than you know what to do with. GT6 does not have the option.

FM4 isn't supported any more, so it's not going to get any more DLC. I'm merely using FM5 as an example because it's the currently supported title, FM4 also had a reasonable amount of free content, at least as much as GT5.

Most of the packs can be had for free now in FM4, which is fair enough. You need Xbox live to download them of course (which I haven't got), and to view the pictures you take. You need to go through the store front or some bulls**t to do that, and for a technophobe like me that's very annoying. When their games are supported, Microsoft don't like giving anything away for free, which is a bit galling when you spend £300+ for a new consul and £40 for a new game.

I'm standing by FM4 though. True, a lot of the features are nothing new. Need for Speed were doing the livery editor in like 2002?...lol :P But I find it brings all the good features of other games together, and makes them work better than did first time around. The series has always been aimed at petrolheads to a greater level than GT I think. Some of the cars even in Forza 1 were a lot more esoteric than GT 3/4. I remember being so suprised that you could get a VW 'Rocco :) IMO the physics in Forza are much better than GT2...or at least they feel more life like. Forza also has more of that fun factor that GT lacks.

And lets be honest here, the graphics in GT5 were a bit of a let down. Forza 3 and 4 won hands down there.

I'm not trashing GT, some people love it, but I just thi

I`m moving to Forza, from a long term GT fan. Was also going to get the Playstation 4, but now I have officaly moved to Xbox, so I`ll now be getting the One in which I`ll be getting next year when the prices go down. So hello Forza! Goodbye Gran Turismo. :cheers:

Play both and then you can decide. I have both and have not even looked at GT since Horizon 2 came out. From a game philosophy stand point, I prefer the approach taken in the Forza series. Everyone has their preferences though.

This game has perfect list of most relevant sport cars till 2012. It may lack some cars 90's Mercedes's, Aston Martin DB7 Coupe, XK100 and so on but you'll definetly find enough cars to amuse you. Textures on tracks are amazing and lighting is way better than FM3 or FH. You can feel differences in sound and handling of each car. You can feel the speed of car even without effects. Career mode is mostly filled with races with lots different requirments but to me it's extremly repetitive and sometimes too easy. Opponents are pretty lifeless just like GT ones. Arcade mode is most simple yet amazing way to try all cars and tracks. Autovista is pretty decent addition too.

Gran Turismo is definetly way more fun offline because of career mode with licenses, missions, races, endurances. Weather changes and city tracks are also what GT has over Forza.

I think that people should play the game for some time and then see if they'll move. If I had money I would keep both games and play them all day. These games with all their flaws are still very enthusiastic and enjoyable games. The only difference is that GT set the bar too high and way too much promises and the hate is way bigger. But sometimes complainers shouldn't be listened.

Play both and then you can decide. I have both and have not even looked at GT since Horizon 2 came out. From a game philosophy stand point, I prefer the approach taken in the Forza series. Everyone has their preferences though.
I use to own an Xbox Arcade in 2008 - 2011. Then I got a PS3 on Christmas 2011. Truthfully, its been a good run with the PlayStation and G.T but I`ve had so much more problems with G.T and the PS3 compared to Xbox 360 and Forza. I loved Forza 2 and 3, I never got to play 4 but I was originally meant to be getting it but changed my mind at the last minute. So this year I`ll be getting the Xbox 360 E 500gb console because my PS3 is on its last legs and I don't want another (Next year i`ll be getting The One) and i will be back to Forza for the fist time in 3 years. And in my opinion, Forza was much better than G.T. So much more fun put into that game, but then again G.T was a simulator so I give it credit. :)

You must get FM4, 5 and Horizon 2 (X1).

You're missing out on some of the best driving games this past and current gen.

Contemplating getting an X1 soon if everything goes to plan.

At present, guy's selling it to me for just over $550, which includes Kinect and FM5. Whatchu think?

Don't think it's a rip off, since he has to keep his margin too. Things get expensive by the time they reach us here in Southeast Asia!

Omg Christmas please hurry up man! That's just made me more excited, feel like a little kid again haha :D I`ll be focusing on The Fable series, Gears of War and Forza 3, 4, Horizon 1 and 2 (X360) for a year then I`ll be getting the XOne. :)

That lot of X360 games will keep you nicely entertained. Get FM2, it's worth checking out. And get the GOW trilogy... best way to enjoy em! "Don't mind if I do"... haha! *you'll know what I mean once you get into them*

@Neddo The only PGR game I've played on 360 is PGR4. I really liked it initially, but the sound and physics just left me aching for more. Instantly went back to Dirt 3, Horizon and FM4!

You must get FM4, 5 and Horizon 2 (X1).

You're missing out on some of the best driving games this past and current gen.

Contemplating getting an X1 soon if everything goes to plan.

At present, guy's selling it to me for just over $550, which includes Kinect and FM5. Whatchu think?

Don't think it's a rip off, since he has to keep his margin too. Things get expensive by the time they reach us here in Southeast Asia!

I got my console without the Kinect and I sort of regret not having it now. In FM5 there is a head tracking feature which it seems to work well although it is not something revolutionary by any means. Any way if you want to buy it separately it costs twice as much so the bundle should be good, even if it is a second hand bundle.

By the way I thought you were from the US, How much is an XB1 off the shelf in your country?

Nah the bundle's all new.

Well, one retailer was selling it to me, as I mentioned, just under $600 with Kinect and FM5. Went to another dude, who said he'd give it to me for over $700, I was like whaaa?!!

And yet another "dood" was selling to to me with no packaging, no Kinect or free game, and just the console, power supply and one controller for $400 <---- option no.3 is not even on the table for me, doesn't seem legit. I might go with the first one by next year; hoping prices would drop, although that takes its own sweet time, third-world economics and all.

So just to give you an idea, most retailers are giving it away for just under $600 + Kinect, oddly some of those deals include FM5, some don't. :lol:

:D

Back