Frustrated with GT7

• Thread starter K_u_p_o_9
  • 36 comments
United States
United States
Hello all, I know that I’m extremely late to the party with this. There are probably plenty of post about what I’m frustrated with in GT7. I’ve been playing the GT series since GT2 and I would say that I have a pretty good idea on how to play the game as a series and how to handle most cars regardless of what entry I’m playing.

However, I specifically made this account on GTplanet because I simply am at my limit on how frustrated I am with the understeer in GT7. I’ve completely roughly 95% of the single player races. The only ones left for me to complete at this point are the GR. 3 & 4 series and the rest of the Super Formula series. As of typing this post, I’m currently trying to finish the Super Formula series.

I’ve gotten this far in the game, tolerating the understeer issues that I’m facing. But I simply cannot ignore it anymore. Perhaps I’m doing something wrong. Or maybe it’s just my lack of understanding on how cars behave at high speeds. I’m trying to finish the Fuji Speedway race in Super Formula. Never mind the fact that the game starts you at the back of the grid and you spend the entire race trying to catch up to 1st, which will never happen, and they’re constantly increasing the gap… regardless of what tire/downforce configuration I use.

What I’ve noticed, is that I’m losing tons of time on the last few turns of the track. It’s mostly in part due to the understeer. I find myself braking for a turn while trying to make the turn at the same time, and I’m understeering. I can try and coast through a turn, and I’m understeering. I brake while I’m coasting through a turn, and I’m understeering! It’s so frustrating!

The last few turns on that track are not high speed turns. Or at least that’s not the impression that I have of them. I’m obviously going sub 90 mph through those turns. I understand that the turns also tighten as well. Even after the first chicane with the Dunlop signs, I know that I build speed before the next turn that tightens. Which I have to brake for to make the turn. I would go sub 80 mph through that turn and still understeer. No matter how much I attempt to modulate my throttle and brake combination, I still understeer.

Like I said, I’ve ignored it for the most part up until now. I definitely need some help in understanding why the cars in this game are behaving the way they do. It’s so annoying when I’m in the middle of a corner and I feather the brakes and understeer. I can feel the car pulling to the outside of a corner just because I tap the brakes. I could understand if I was slamming the brakes and pressing the button all the way. But I’m not. No amount of trail braking that I attempt to do will work for me because my car will always pull to the outside of a turn. I know these are full blown race cars. 80 mph is a snails speed for these cars, and I can’t turn a sharp corner or corners that tighten with ease in a Super Formula car?

Perhaps I simply lack the understanding of the physics of this game and these types of cars. Can anyone please help me by explaining what exactly I’m dealing with? I’m using the PS5 controller to play the game if that makes any difference. I don’t know that it will, but I figured I’d mention that.

Sorry for long post. I’m just extremely frustrated at this point and need some help.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you’re talking about offline races, just tune your cars to drive however you like for those races, it’s not that hard. Otherwise, if talking about online(no/less tuning), then at least the understeer is way less than GT Sport, GT7 actually drives pretty nicely right now.

Last edited:
Can't say I've ever had a major issue so it's likely something to do with your style not quite gelling with the GT7 physics model. @Pigems mentioned something in a different thread that may be relevant to you?

If you’re still dragging a small amount of brake, you won’t get full rotation, gotta get fully off the brakes mid corner, or the cars won’t turn. It’s a GT quirk, it shouldn’t work like that realistically.

If everything else doesnt work: you are allowed to decrease the difficulty level, and you dont need to place first in order to progress through the menu books.

And answering your question about tight turns in a Super Formula car, Mr Clarkson was saying something alike
"I am sorry officer, but if I was going any slower I would understeer towards the tree".
I couldnt find the correct quote for this, I remember it to be kindof this way.

I think that you can alter the car setups for the Super Formula race that you are struggling with. If you don't like or know what to do with car setups, then there will be someone out there who can probably point you in the right direction.

I agree with you that starting at the back of the grid for single player races - every. single. time. is lazy and lacks imagination from the programmers. Frustrating as it is, they have been doing this since GT1 and seemingly do not intend to change any time soon.

I agree with you that starting at the back of the grid for single player races - every. single. time. is lazy and lacks imagination from the programmers. Frustrating as it is, they have been doing this since GT1 and seemingly do not intend to change any time soon.
Key difference being qualifying was a thing. :lol: Except for GT2.

I find myself braking for a turn while trying to make the turn at the same time, and I’m understeering. I can try and coast through a turn, and I’m understeering. I brake while I’m coasting through a turn, and I’m understeering!
Well, there is your problem, your car can only do 100% of anything at one time. If you are braking you cannot be turning and vice versa if you are turning you cannot be braking. The easiest thing to remember is Slow in, Fast out. In other basic words, slow down before you turn and then speed up as you exit the turn.
Your braking can be methodical in gentle application and not just stomping on brakes, if you stomp on brakes you WILL lock up the wheels and slide. (Understeer)
The brakes are not just on/off switches, do you drive like this in real life? or do you gently apply brakes when you want/ need to slow down?
The game works the same way....

I suggest you watch this:

Last edited:
lazy and lacks imagination from the programmers
Qualification removes the racing from the game.
It would be a glorified time trial of however many laps you want to spend to start first and then another 3 to 30 laps of simply leading the pack.

Certianly for those who want to do it, having it in game would be nice, and those like me who would simply skip it every time wouldnt need to be buthurt to have one click more before starting every race.
But promoting it in order to make this a better game is a false narative in my opinion.

It would be a glorified time trial of however many laps you want to spend to start first and then another 3 to 30 laps of simply leading the pack.

Certianly for those who want to do it, having it in game would be nice, and those like me who would simply skip it every time wouldnt need to be buthurt to have one click more before starting every race.
But promoting it in order to make this a better game is a false narative in my opinion.
If the alternative is starting up to 40s behing the leader, having to sometimes go 4s a lap faster in the same vehicle, I'll take the glorified time trial.

If the alternative is starting up to 40s behing the leader, having to sometimes go 4s a lap faster in the same vehicle, I'll take the glorified time trial.
It is not ideal either way:
Being faster in the same car is just either unrealistic or against opponents without skill.
Being in front the whole race is boring (to me). Once you place first in qualification you already know that you have won before the race starts.

Then add a very flawed PP system where cars are totally unequel despite the attempt to make them appear somewhat equal.
Add another flaw to the flawed system where the calculations are not correct many times.

Then you know the player has to find his own way to make it fun.

Last edited:
It is not ideal either way
Not sure launching a new debate on chasing the rabbit was OP's intention. Maybe we should concentrate on giving hints to help :) there are plenty of other treads about poor AI and rabbit racing.

If everything else doesnt work: you are allowed to decrease the difficulty level, and you dont need to place first in order to progress through the menu books.

And answering your question about tight turns in a Super Formula car, Mr Clarkson was saying something alike
"I am sorry officer, but if I was going any slower I would understeer towards the tree".
I couldnt find the correct quote for this, I remember it to be kindof this way.
I have it on the highest difficulty to challenge myself. But I don’t think that’ll have anything to do with the handling of the car, will it?

I think that you can alter the car setups for the Super Formula race that you are struggling with. If you don't like or know what to do with car setups, then there will be someone out there who can probably point you in the right direction.

Yes you are correct. I don’t have a problem with starting at the back of the grid. Like I said, I’ve been playing the series since 2. It’s just when you have to fight your way through 18 other cars and the lead car is at a serious advantage because it doesn’t have to contend with traffic. It’s irritating and definitely makes things harder than they really should be. I’m more so focused on the handling. I just can’t believe any small amount of throttle I use will cause my racing line to be compromised.

Well, there is your problem, your car can only do 100% of anything at one time. If you are braking you cannot be turning and vice versa if you are turning you cannot be braking. The easiest thing to remember is Slow in, Fast out. In other basic words, slow down before you turn and then speed up as you exit the turn.
Your braking can be methodical in gentle application and not just stomping on brakes, if you stomp on brakes you WILL lock up the wheels and slide. (Understeer)
The brakes are not just on/off switches, do you drive like this in real life? or do you gently apply brakes when you want/ need to slow down?
The game works the same way....

I suggest you watch this:

I did mention in the post that I modulate the brake and throttle. So I’m not mashing it 100% like an on off switch. I ease on and off. No matter how little of either I apply, whether I’m trail braking or not, I still have the same problem.

Some offline races don't have much margin of error and you need to use the right car and strategy. It can be frustrating to find out on your own, lot of time lost with try and error. And looking in forums to get the ideal car might feel a bit too easy.

At least you're honest :lol:
You have no idea how frustrated I am. Almost every car behaves this way. FF cars, I expect to have understeer like this. But EVERY car?! I would expect to be struggling to not spin in a RWD car. Nope, never had that problem the entire time I played the game. From launch to present. In fact, the only time I’ve even had that problem is if I tuned the suspension of the car to make it tail happy because I was so frustrated. But yeah I have to be honest 😂

Some offline races don't have much margin of error and you need to use the right car and strategy. It can be frustrating to find out on your own, lot of time lost with try and error. And looking in forums to get the ideal car might feel a bit too easy.
I’m not really looking for an ideal car. Just mainly trying to understand why the cars in this game behave the way they do. I understand everything isn’t black and white. There will be some amount of understeer no matter how fast or slow I go through a corner. I don’t understand why it’s to the degree it is. Every car in my experience playing GT7 behaves almost identical to a certain extent. Obviously they aren’t all the same. The one constant I’ve noticed is the understeer.

Increase front down force and shift brake bias to the rear. You’re asking too much of the fronts probably.

Also those corners are quite cambered so you may want to play with your suspension.

I also have been playing this series a long time. The whole time in fact. I only recently started to understand how to really drive in this game. I'm still not much more than decent with some moments of brilliance here and there.

My whole time playing GT i have been braking far too late. I always thought the same as you.. Understeer in this game is just a thing we have to deal with... but braking just a little earlier and not so hard is a significantly faster and more consistent way to pick up the pace and have more control. I'm sorry if you've tried this and still find understeer an issue but it helped me a lot.

I mostly Time Trial and play single player. I rarely race online as it's a massacre most days and I just don't enjoy it much. I started this year barely able to get a silver in the online time trial in sport mode. Since mid summer I have golded every time trial we've had. The thing that got me there was good, early, consistent braking (and trail braking, but you mentioned that you do that). I also will add that when you are in an oversteer moment, less steering input will help. Let off the joystick or d-pad or wheel slightly until you feel grip come back. It works. It's hard to do because the brain tells you otherwise, but it really does work.

I did mention in the post that I modulate the brake and throttle. So I’m not mashing it 100% like an on off switch. I ease on and off. No matter how little of either I apply, whether I’m trail braking or not, I still have the same problem.
My apologies for not reading carefully...

It seems to me that you are in dire need of a LSD and adjustable suspension.What you are describing is just what the aforementioned upgrades will either mitigate or eliminate your handling problems,luckily upgrading suspension and LSD should not have any impact on the PP rating of the cars.

You have no idea how frustrated I am. Almost every car behaves this way. FF cars, I expect to have understeer like this. But EVERY car?! I would expect to be struggling to not spin in a RWD car. Nope, never had that problem the entire time I played the game. From launch to present. In fact, the only time I’ve even had that problem is if I tuned the suspension of the car to make it tail happy because I was so frustrated. But yeah I have to be honest 😂

I’m not really looking for an ideal car. Just mainly trying to understand why the cars in this game behave the way they do. I understand everything isn’t black and white. There will be some amount of understeer no matter how fast or slow I go through a corner. I don’t understand why it’s to the degree it is. Every car in my experience playing GT7 behaves almost identical to a certain extent. Obviously they aren’t all the same. The one constant I’ve noticed is the understeer.
What tires are you using on these cars? If you’re just putting RS tires on everything, that will also heavily contribute to cars understeering.

That is just one alternative, if you are too lazy to bother thinking about other alternatives.

How about starting from pole against cars that are slightly faster than you. Or not having a rolling start that means you are 30 secs behind before you reach the start line, but instead having a grid start? That is two alternatives that are rarely or never used just off the top of my head. Other ideas might work too.

Last edited:
You understeer because you are braking during the turn. Some amount of braking can be done at the beginning of the turn, but you need to scrub off 75-80% of all your speed while in the braking zone, then you can lightly trail brake at corner entry.

Another thing you need to understand is that when all the weight of the car is on the front tires, the amount of total grip you have is greatly diminished. If you add just a slight amount of throttle you shift the cars weight to being much more neutral and you gain a lot of traction.

I recommend you spend time working on golding the license tests, especially the master license tests as those require you to get very good at controlling the cars weight balance through turns in order to get the fastest times.

Last edited:
That is just one alternative, if you are too lazy to bother thinking about other alternatives.

How about starting from pole against cars that are slightly faster than you. Or not having a rolling start that means you are 30 secs behind before you reach the start line, but instead having a grid start? That is two alternatives that are rarely or never used just off the top of my head. Other ideas might work too.
The whole point of the rolling start is to put you farther behind the leader, a grid start would defeat that purpose completely. Everyone starts way to close then, you’d be P1 by T1 and then there is not even a chase the rabbit race, it’s just a time trial.

I don't think anyone cares much for qualifying with the current AI. Its always been my understanding that people want qualifying with an AI you don't lap 4 seconds per lap faster than.
Like an actual race.

I don't think anyone cares much for qualifying with the current AI. Its always been my understanding that people want qualifying with an AI you don't lap 4 seconds per lap faster than.
Like an actual race.
Exactly, so if qualifying were to be implemented, Sophy would also have to be implemented to replace the current AI.

Which will take time still.

I reread the post clearly to make sure and you're on controller @K_u_p_o_9 ? This will be a huge factor.

Controllers also have steering lock limitations, especially in faster cars as well as some hidden assists that add stability.
Also, the advice about braking BEFORE the turn and turning only once you're slow while accelerating out is the GT way. GT rewards a better exit speed far more than a better late braking 95% of the time. A lot of guides and tips will show you that tapping brakes unduces understeer pretty quickly.

Last edited:
I'm still not sure if it's a placebo effect but I really think I've noticed a pretty significant difference in how the cars feel by changing the ABS to weak.

I tried it while doing the Spa grind with the 15 Lambo, and also tried it for all of the weekly challenges. I am guessing it has to deal with my crappy braking habits but all the cars I tested just felt way better than before.

I used to not be a fan of the R92CP and most of the group c cars because they felt rather heavy and significant understeer when entering the corners. I changed it to weak and used the R92CP (using basically TurboDatsuns tune) for the Watkins Glen 800 challenge... It honestly felt like a brand new race car.. way more responsive and just feels right going into and out of the corners now. I finally get why so many people love that car!

I'm currently using a controller and haven't been able to test it out on a wheel. I was using a G29 until the pedals broke. The R92CP felt heavy and understeer with that wheel and with the controller. I'm definitely not a pro racer, probably around average... But I am kinda shocked and happy with how I can use the controller now... I'm smooth enough now on controller that it looks (for the most part) like I'm using a wheel when I watch the replys.

Messed up and ordered the PC only version of the Logitech G Pro so I can't use that until I get the drive hub to make it work (mostly, hopefully) with the PS5. I'm super excited to try out the weak ABS setting using the load cell pedals.

I sort of skimmed through this thread and am not sure if it has been mentioned or suggested, but have you tried the motion steering on the controller? I found that to be a game-changer for me.

I think it is best when you are in cockpit view though because you can rotate the controller too far and then it will reset to zero. In the cockpit view, you will see when you are at the max rotation vs. the position reset. You can adjust the sensitivity in the settings as well to fine-tune it to your liking which I also did. I feel like this has been a vast improvement over steering with a joystick.

I'm still not sure if it's a placebo effect but I really think I've noticed a pretty significant difference in how the cars feel by changing the ABS to weak.
Yea I have ABS set to weak, TC set to 1, and all other assist settings off. But I also use the Motion steering. I love the way I can control the car and know that any improvements will come from tuning the cars and improving advanced techniques like trail braking.

I've also been aware of the fact that getting Gold on Circuit Experience and License Tests like @Tommy_D suggested is the best way to improve my skills and times in the game.

Back