Funny Pic Thread VII - No swearing. No sex. No complaining. (READ FIRST POST)

• Thread starter Max Powers
  • 49,297 comments
han-solo-shocked-jpg.808841

Ford Probe
laughslap.gif

804bc162752d9e859d5d3a40c2f81fe9.jpg

Ford...erm...Contour?

TB
Indiana-Jones-And-The-Last-Crusade1.jpg

Ford Edge

Ford+flex+_c58aef125029d675ca7dd1eccf2c8a8c.jpg

Ford Flex

e4bc8dca67b4feeb15624eeb19beb64e.jpg

Ford Escape

32511140027_a927cf712b_o.jpg

Ford Falcon

Edit to add:
46729830164_617587d42b_b.jpg

Ford Explorer

Ooh, another!!!
40486957173_824a395d8c_b.jpg

Ford pick-up

TB
sabrina.jpg

Ford Raptor

Indiana-Jones1.jpg

Ford Cobra

XMarksSpot.jpg

Ford Explorer

images

Ford Edge

images

Ford GT

What have I started?:lol:

I know this is old and I’ve been looking at it for over a week, but why wouldn’t Lisa Simpson, the smart one, use “octopi” which is much more intelligent sounding that the other options?

Because she's clever and knows that "octopi" isn't a word. She'd use the most common plural or the etymologically correct one, e.g. octopuses or octopodes.

View attachment 809553

Acceptable and widely used.

That graphic was large :)

I still argue that Lisa Simpson would look on Grammar.com :D

Grammar.com
An octopus is a type of animal. Octopus is a loanword, which means it is a word borrowed from another language. In this case, the word octopus is a loanword from Greek. Octopi is a common mistake. Octopuses is the standard plural form of octopus. Some writers use octopi to refer to more than one octopus. This pluralization follows a rule for forming plurals of Latin words. However, the word octopus is not of Latin origin, so this formation is not correct. Octopuses follows the rule for regular plural nouns in English and has become the accepted plural of octopus in modern English. For this reason, you should use octopuses instead of octopi. Since octopi ends with -i and incorrect begins with i, you should have no trouble remembering whether octopuses or octopi is the right word to choose.

I know this is old and I’ve been looking at it for over a week, but why wouldn’t Lisa Simpson, the smart one, use “octopi” which is much more intelligent sounding that the other options?
Likely that's because there's a giant gulf between sounding intelligent and being intelligent.

Back