Future of F1?

• Thread starter FlyingFox
  • 43 comments
United Kingdom
St Helens. MSY
FlyingFox_85
The future of F1? Ferrari unveil striking images of aggressive-looking concept car

ferrari-concept-car_3265546.jpg

Ferrari have revealed images of a radical Formula 1 concept car, amid the ongoing debate over how the sport’s challengers should look in future.

ferrari-concept-car-f1_3265549.jpg

Under the name of Ferrari F1 concept, the rendered pictures show a design which appears to be a cross between a modern-day F1 car and a sportscar. The concept features aggressive-looking bodywork, a twin deck front wing and lower-profile tyres, akin to those run briefly by Pirelli as an experiment at a test last year.

Thoughts?

This is more the direction I see open wheel racing going in the future - sort of combining with open cockpit prototypes. We've already seen it with Indy Cars and it looks like Formula E is doing a similar thing. To me, it looks pretty good in its own right, and especially so when compared to the platypus/dong/thumb styles F1 has been going with in recent years.

Last edited:
I think you didn't read the article. The render is not intended as a serious representation of what the future could hold, but rather a demonstration of how the sport can change with s little bit of creating thinkingm

Yes I know this.

If you go to Ferrari's site and look at it you can leave a comment which they are asking for, Perhaps they really want to push this through for the near futer and why not? Its been a long time since F1 cars have radically changed.

I think it's a desperate tactic by Ferrari to try and force major rule changes, I wonder what regs would be required for this particular design to be the optimal solution, the car looks too much like an LMP1 car for me.

This sexy concept offers higher speeds, lower costs, closer racing and greater safety. It is the way to go provided it is loud enough!

I like this bit:
Meanwhile, Red Bull cheekily responded to Ferrari’s attention grabbing concept by tweeting an image of its virtual X2014 with the phrase “way ahead of ya."

Featured in video game Gran Turismo, the X2014 was designed by Adrian Newey in 2013 and billed as “a Formula 1 car without rules or restrictions limiting it”.

Lower costs and closer racing are rather subjective and speculative statements, especially considering all that bodywork.
I suggested the lower costs as a result of the statement by Arrivabene, "Instead, a real revolution is called for, with significant and radical changes. By that I mean more power, higher speeds, not necessarily involving the use of more fuel, but definitely applying a cost reduction to those components that are of little interest to the general public."

My comment about closer racing was inspired by the bodywork shrouding the tires, fore and aft and in between the tires, which might well allow for more incidental contact at close quarters without the resultant loss of a wing or incurring a puncture.
Read more at http://en.espnf1.com/ferrari/motorsport/story/191481.html#BtTmDhyC1BO8ctXo.99

Yeah.. these are the same teams that always talk about cutting costs but only end up driving smaller teams out of the series because they refuse to reduce costs.

I like this bit:
Just one thing with that. The redbull is complete fantasy and based on 🤬 and its 5000.00000 mph is nonsense, Where as the ferrari has been designed within the current technical parameters and this seams to be a concept for F1 rather than just a game.

I dont know what the viewing figures are for f1 currently but i know a lot of F1 fans who dont bother following it any longer as they find it rather boring, I tune in for the start and then just check the race every 20-30 minutes, Over time i beleive less and less people will grow up watching F1 so imo F1 need to do something radical to keep us old fans tuned in and pass the passion onto our kids. Right now thwere is no chance of that happening with me

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as it sounds better than what we have now, I could care less what it looks like. Looks nice though. I do think the streamlined helmet would get a little annoying for the driver

I havent followed Indy since the Al Jr/Michael Andretti days. I had a look at one in the Indy thread a short while ago. Not bad.

As long as it sounds better than what we have now, I could care less what it looks like. Looks nice though. I do think the streamlined helmet would get a little annoying for the driver

Sounds just fine from testing not sure what's wrong with the current sound.

Back