Future of Livery Editor Competitions

• Thread starter Nuschel01
  • 51 comments

Do you think the new idea for deciding a theme is good?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nuschel01

Enjoy Car Life
Premium
Germany
Fürstentum Lippe
GTP_Nuschel
Hey fellow painters!

With GT7's LECs up and running I felt like asking how you guys and girls(?) would feel about a few suggestions:

Suggestion 01
Suggestion 02

I'd like to know your POV regarding upping the pace of new LECs in the nearer future.

My personal view on the three options:
  1. I think it somewhat draws away people from the LEC in general because if there's a topic somebody might not like there's no reason to check the forum for a full month and I kinda think that some people might forget about it all together.
  2. A new LEC every two weeks always put me a bit under pressure and I felt burned out very quick with the constant pressure of having to deliver something within a reasonably short time frame.
  3. The best option in my opinion, there's a new LEC every two weeks which won't leave people without something to check back into for too long while also taking away the pressure of having to get an entry in fast. With a poll every two weeks there's also always something people can get involved with might lead some to join an LEC on their own.
Let me hear your thoughts :gtpflag:

EDIT: Here's a visualisation of the pledged ideas:
1656588104526.png

Results:
1657814285952.png

Let me know what you think about it, be it only through a vote in the new poll or voicing your opinion below :cheers:

:gtpflag:
[/QUOTE]
[/spoiler]

Last edited:
I would like to keep doing these, I had fun with this one and it forces us to look outside our usual interest area. The second option looks nice, more opportunities but still time to plan and execute.

Last edited:
I like the 4-week timeframe for getting enough research and design exploration - but having an overlapping competition would be nice to increase regularity and participation. We could always shorten things down to a 2-week cycle if people find the 4-week cycle too long and start forgetting about comps, etc.

I agree that a month is probably too long, and a fortnight can be too short (as well as very labour intensive for the organisers.) However 2 contests running at roughly the same time may be confusing.

What about every 3 weeks?

There is of course a @syntex123 sized elephant in the room here, and no reason why @Nuschel01 should be left to do all this himself.

There is of course a @syntex123 sized elephant in the room here...
...with the problem that no matter what room I search him in, I can't find him :lol:

Three weeks of running could be another option, but I personally think that having two running at the same time with alternating new starts every two weeks is a way to at least try out, thought I admit it might need some time to get used to. If it turns out to be less popular or not as engaging as Matski and I thought we can always try something new/different I reckon.

Last edited:
...with the problem that no matter what room I search him in, I can't find him :lol:

Three weeks of running could be another option, but I personally think that having two running at the same time with alternating new starts every two weeks is a way to at least try out, thought I admit it might need some time to get used to. If it turns out to be less popular or not as engaging as Matski and I thought we can always try something new/different I reckon.
Yeah, no harm in giving option 3 a go.

We should try and make sure that themes running at same time were sufficiently different from each other to help avoid confusion.

Last edited:
We should try and make sure that themes running at same time were sufficiently different from each other to help avoid confusion.
That's unfortunately out of my power, as the winner of the previous poll chooses the theme for the next LEC. Thought since another is still running by then that person can be asked to select another theme if they're too similar.

A new LEC will launch tonight, that's for sure. It remains to be seen what topic tho, as I can neither reach Syntex nor JaySee; if neither of them get through to me in the next ~9h, we'll use a theme selected by the winner of the final GTS LEC winner.

That's unfortunately out of my power, as the winner of the previous poll chooses the theme for the next LEC. Thought since another is still running by then that person can be asked to select another theme if they're too similar.

A new LEC will launch tonight, that's for sure. It remains to be seen what topic tho, as I can neither reach Syntex nor JaySee; if neither of them get through to me in the next ~9h, we'll use a theme selected by the winner of the final GTS LEC winner.
Who won the final GTS LEC?

Alright, this poll is over and the majority of people seems to be fine with having more frequent LECs.

1657814136992.png

That means, a new LEC will start tonight. :gtpflag:

Keep an eye out for this thread again in the coming days, there is another change that needs to be discussed :)

Hey everyone, it's me again :lol:

Over the past few days Matski and I have been discussing changing the way next themes for the LECs are decided. As you all know, currently it is decided by whoever wins an LEC, which has been the common method on GTPlanet for both LECs and PMCs since forever I think.
However, I always felt like it was a little bit of a nuisance, because it's often the same people who (used to) win the LECs and at some point everyone of the more frequent winners probably ran into the issue of coming up with yet another theme that would excite people to participate. Another drawback of the current system is, that whoever decided the theme can't take part in their own set theme, which makes sense to some extent as it eliminates an unfair disadvantage they might have.

My new proposal would allow everyone to submit themes and LEC winners not having to sit out rounds just because they've won one of the previous ones.
What I'd like to introduce is a Google Form, where everyone can submit suggestions for LEC themes that will then be fed into one big spreadsheet. From this spreadsheet a random selection of three themes will be presented to the winner of an LEC and they get to choose one of the three and since it's not their theme they're also free to enter the LEC then (and even if it's one of their suggestion in the RNG, then that's just luck for them :D). This would also make things a little easier for me (or whoever else might run this circus one day) because you don't have to discuss themes or rules with people who might not have an awful lot of spare time to spend on GTPlanet and only check their DMs once or twice a week :scared:

Let me know what you think about it, be it only through a vote in the new poll or voicing your opinion below :cheers:

Last edited:
I think this is a good idea. However, I don't like the ide of using google forms.

GTP has the ability for a thread to be created as a question. Replies to that question are then put in as answers. Those answers can be voted for as being a good answer, and the thread can be sorted by best answers.

You can create the thread, and the best themes can be voted for in this way.

1658059143539.png

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/how-to-get-alpine-a220.410199/#post-13779992 is an example of a question thread, although no-one has voted for an answer in this example.

Last edited:
GTP has the ability for a thread to be created as a question.
Yeah I'm aware of that and I've actually thought about using that but I rarely see people up- or downvote posts in those threads and for my ease of use Google Forms makes it a little comfortabler as it gives me an uniform input and nobody needs to moderate discussions or needs to tell people they forgot to add something in their suggestion. Also I'd prefer to keep the suggestions anonymous and secret until a thread with it goes live.

Thanks for your input tho :)

Last edited:
Yeah I'm aware of that and I've actually thought about using that but I rarely see people up- or downvote posts in those threads and for my ease of use Google Forms makes it a little comfortable as it gives me an uniform input and nobody needs to moderate discussions or needs to tell people they forgot to add something in their suggestion. Also I'd prefer to keep the suggestions anonymous and secret until a thread with it goes live.

Thanks for your input tho :)
The form filled in my Google email. Is a google account required for the form?

Is a google account required for the form?
No, it's set up to be public and useable by anyone. If I were to allow instant upload of header images for example it'd need the person entering a suggestion to have an account.

EDIT: You can log-in to save progress, probably a feature for forms with multiple pages and things like that.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, it's me again :lol:

Over the past few days Matski and I have been discussing changing the way next themes for the LECs are decided. As you all know, currently it is decided by whoever wins an LEC, which has been the common method on GTPlanet for both LECs and PMCs since forever I think.
However, I always felt like it was a little bit of a nuisance, because it's often the same people who (used to) win the LECs and at some point everyone of the more frequent winners probably ran into the issue of coming up with yet another theme that would excite people to participate. Another drawback of the current system is, that whoever decided the theme can't take part in their own set theme, which makes sense to some extent as it eliminates an unfair disadvantage they might have.

My new proposal would allow everyone to submit themes and LEC winners not having to sit out rounds just because they've won one of the previous ones.
What I'd like to introduce is a Google Form, where everyone can submit suggestions for LEC themes that will then be fed into one big spreadsheet. From this spreadsheet a random selection of three themes will be presented to the winner of an LEC and they get to choose one of the three and since it's not their theme they're also free to enter the LEC then (and even if it's one of their suggestion in the RNG, then that's just luck for them :D). This would also make things a little easier for me (or whoever else might run this circus one day) because you don't have to discuss themes or rules with people who might not have an awful lot of spare time to spend on GTPlanet and only check their DMs once or twice a week :scared:

Sounds like a great idea to me. Means the participants who never win still have a chance to have their ideas represented and explored. And of course we can trial this and go back to the old ways if it doesn't work.

Means the participants who never win still have a chance to have their ideas represented and explored.
That was exactly the thought behind this. ~30 people obviously have a much bigger range of ideas for themes than ~5 do :D

A few suggestions were already made, keep them coming guys!

I support the idea.

For me, on the odd occasion that I've won, picking the next contest has only been a burden, not a reward! Some people are going to have much more imaginative ideas than others, but they may never get to suggest them. And I've seen how it can also be a drag if people don't communicate in time - I've been guilty of that myself.

I initially stayed quite as I have only been active since gt7 dropped, lurking with an account over a decade though. I do like this idea, I think it will lead to some interesting themes. I put an idea in immediately and am pretty sure I would never get to otherwise. Can the ideas be made so they can be seen? I would love to just see the theme titles without user info or details.

I initially stayed quite as I have only been active since gt7 dropped, lurking with an account over a decade though.
Why hold back? Everyone's free to express their opinion, positive or negative, as long as it happens in a reasonable and respectful manner :)

I do like this idea, I think it will lead to some interesting themes. I put an idea in immediately and am pretty sure I would never get to otherwise.
Saw your theme and it's an interesting one, I could see somebody picking it :D

Can the ideas be made so they can be seen? I would love to just see the theme titles without user info or details.
I'd honestly like to keep future themes a little secret. Thought if you win you get to see three suggested themes :lol:

However, anyone is free to discuss suggestions they made or want to make :D

Last edited:
Back