G27 quick release mod

• Thread starter spirtle
  • 18 comments
United States
Orange, CA
mindzeye2008
Does anyone know if there is an aftermarket mod to add a quick release hub to remove and quickly reattach the g27 wheel? I'm really looking for a real racing type quick release, metal coupling, which would allow the electrical connection to be maintained - so it would be a really simple on/off coupling.

-----
Update:
I'm curious to see if this type of quick release (http://www.optionstage.com/nrg-srk-250r.html) would work on the Logitech G27? I'm not all that technically inclined but really want to be able to remove the actual wheel on my G27 so that I can fold my Hyperstimulator cockpit in half for storage without having to remove the entire wheel setup every time I put the cockpit away.

Any thoughts??

Thanks

Last edited:
Here is my Quick release mod:
IMG_2397.jpg

IMG_2395.jpg

IMG_2394.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2393.jpg

Here is my Quick release mod:

That's pretty much what I'm looking to do to my G27!! How was the installation process? While it looks like you are not using the Logitech wheel any longer, would this quick release still allow me to use the six programmable buttons on the G27 wheel?

That's pretty much what I'm looking to do to my G27!! How was the installation process? While it looks like you are not using the Logitech wheel any longer, would this quick release still allow me to use the six programmable buttons on the G27 wheel?

You can buy a sparco external horn button kit which contain 2 buttons,
install 2 of it you can get 4, and you can install a momo mod 80(350mm) or Sparco 015P310F2SN(310mm) ,these two wheel also contain 2 button on wheel, then you total get 6. Wire the 6 button to G27 connectors through a external detachable plug,
both side on G27 have a gap can let you lead out the wires,so don't worry,
you can get full function with quick release.

31wHB06j59L._SS500_.jpg

318Z87V2HHL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

41LsKd%2BuZcL._SS500_.jpg

Starting to sound like it's not possible to add a quick release mechanism and keep the original G27 buttons functioning. I do not want to have to have any kind of external plug as I want everything to be self-contained like it is currently.

Anybody know if something like the high-end Sparco connections that are used in real racing cars might have this functionality?

Thanks.

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/default.html

I have a DSD miniplate and wheel adapter as I wanted to keep my buttons working. They are straight plug and play. However what you're looking for does not exist on a retail level. You would have to DIY some kind of quick release with a plug integrated.

My wheel has a 3" dish to it. I've grown accustomed to sliding my seat back to get in/out easily as the seat is fixed back with high side bolsters.

If you need it for ease of rig use then cool. Otherwise I see it as more of a novelty...

MARC BOLAN - If don't mind me asking, how much was your FREX Type-G H-Shifter? Their website does not list a price in the store and I never get answers to emails. Love your setup by the way!

I have a Hyperstimulator cockpit (http://www.hyperstimulator.com/personal/challenge.html) that is able to fold in half when not in use. The G27 is way to tall to allow the cockpit to be folded in half and it's a pain to have to take off the steering wheel platform every time - so a quick release would be the perfect thing to have. Just take the wheel off and it will allow me to fold it in half again.

Thanks for your feedback too. I've been looking at Derrick stuff too.

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/default.html

I have a DSD miniplate and wheel adapter as I wanted to keep my buttons working. They are straight plug and play. However what you're looking for does not exist on a retail level. You would have to DIY some kind of quick release with a plug integrated.

My wheel has a 3" dish to it. I've grown accustomed to sliding my seat back to get in/out easily as the seat is fixed back with high side bolsters.

If you need it for ease of rig use then cool. Otherwise I see it as more of a novelty...

MARC BOLAN - If don't mind me asking, how much was your FREX Type-G H-Shifter? Their website does not list a price in the store and I never get answers to emails. Love your setup by the way!
Frex Type G h-shifter seems discontinue , because the N-position delay problem can't get fix. and the price was 38000yen,(around 493 USD)same as the H-shift+ (H-shift+ just for windows, 7+1 gears for Windows usb stand alone connection).
Plus one point about the H-shift type G, after 6 month since I get it and continue using, many problem come out.
first is the switches inside all get loosed , I need to open cover to make it tight. Second is, the switches use for 5th gear was broken, I need to order replacement part.
3rd is, shifting being unstable ,especially the R gear, always turn into 6th gear, (the mechanical position is right, but the signal get wrong).
If I shift into neutral form 4th ,it will change to 2nd first, few second later turn in to N. If I turn into neutral form 6th, it will change to 4th first,than turn in to N few second later.
Actually, not a big problem in actual gaming, because every time I shift are using clutch than shift gear to gear directly, not much chance use R & N gear,
but 38000 YEN for a can't fix incomplete product...hummmm.....👎

I have a Hyperstimulator cockpit (http://www.hyperstimulator.com/personal/challenge.html) that is able to fold in half when not in use. The G27 is way to tall to allow the cockpit to be folded in half and it's a pain to have to take off the steering wheel platform every time - so a quick release would be the perfect thing to have. Just take the wheel off and it will allow me to fold it in half again.

Thanks for your feedback too. I've been looking at Derrick stuff too.
You can try this:
http://ecommerce.f1driving.it/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=28&category_id=10&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&lang=en
This is a mod rim(not include wheel base) ,come with 6 button thats exactly compatible to the G27 original wheel buttons if you pay 50 euro to add a G27 adapter .So it's fully compatible to PS3.
Basic 588 euro (included VAT), don't come with quick release,
but you can pay 439.75 euro more to add a Sparco quick release.
The quick release come with wire connector just plug into the socket on G27 pcb that behind the steering wheel rim, easy install.
I think that's exactly what you need, but not sure is it what you want,
because the price that made it fully compatible with G27 is:
588+50+439.75=1077.75 euro. Not kidding!

spirtle - Ahhhhh, yeah now I see why.

MARC - Thanks for the info. Guess I'll be using my G27 shifter hopefully for a long long time. Shame it had so many problems, looked to be real nice.

Wow, I can do a Derek Speare Designs universal adapter ($26) and mini plate ($56), and a Momo wheel from ebay ($182) and still save money instead of the Arc Wheel @ $975!!

spirtle
Wow, I can do a Derek Speare Designs universal adapter ($26) and mini plate ($56), and a Momo wheel from ebay ($182) and still save money instead of the Arc Wheel @ $975!!

DSD wheel adapter is not aluminum but a very hard plastic material. It is about 1" thick. Just so you know....

I'm very much so happy with my DSD products. Looking to get his sequential shifter when rFactor2 comes out.

try chillicoke on google for wheel adapters mate ir ebay
Chilicoke's good in finishing, but only can install old gen Long & heavy version quick release hub. Note that if the adapter too long, must change the paddles shape make it closer to the wheel.

Chilicoke's good in finishing, but only can install old gen Long & heavy version quick release hub. Note that if the adapter too long, must change the paddles shape make it closer to the wheel.

Hi Marc can you tell me where did you get that wheel adapter cause i have a quick release but can´t seem to find a proper wheel adapter.

My quick release is this one

882-SPARCO-STEERING-WHEEL-QUICK-RELEASE.jpg

Best regards

Back