G29 vs t300rs gt $400 budget

Canada
Canada
xPat_McCrotchxx
i think I might go buy a G29 today. Controller is getting annoying. Waited a few weeks for a t300rs gt sale and it was on sale in the usa at bestbuy. and of course now as of yesterday it isnt even on the bestbuy canada site anymore. I could get one off amazon but again its not on sale. My current budget is like $400 max. Its probably better to start with a cheaper wheel?

G29 249.99 is it true this comes with a 2 year warranty? Would save me buying a protection plan.
T300 419.99 + product protection plan because ive heard of reliability issues. And with tax too this would be like $500 is the ffb difference in the wheels as big as they say?

People say any wheel is better than controller. Ive never owned a wheel or even tried one. Thrustmaster has every mid level wheel on sale except t300. I dont think i could be disappointed by a g29.

If anyone has used one let me know what you think!

Last edited:
I’d go for the T300 if you can, it’s very smooth feeling compared to the geared drive of Logitec, I had a DFGT before my T300 and there is a big difference in how they feel. Plus TM is upgradable in the future if you ever decide to add the 3 pedal set or a shifter. The software is also upgradable on the TM where as Logitec doesn’t have such features. :)

I recently got a G29, it's my first wheel and I love it!
I've never tried any of the other wheels, and the impression i get is that they are much better, but factoring in the budget I am more than happy. i wouldn't/couldn't pay that much so I am very satisfied.
It really does add another dimension to the game, you will love corners/tracks you hated! You can go round large radius corners in a smooth curve rather than an octagon shape!
You will absolutely not regret it, whichever you go for.

Since GT1 I used a controller, then around GT5/6 I got this:
https://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gam...reless-gt-cockpit-430-scuderia-edition-review

No force feedback (well, some, bungie cord I think!!) but it was great and really changed my engagement / enjoyment of the game for the better.

Then last Christmas i got given a T300RS :) My first wheel with FFB. Fantastic! Used it nearly every day since.

The G29 has great reviews..... and the price is right. My advice would be to go for that for now. If you really like it, save up and get a Fanatec later on as they have super reviews.

Basically I'm trying to say that the G29 will likely give you a whole new experience, and though some may say the T300RS is better, is it worth all that extra cash?

I upgraded from the controller to a G29 about a month ago and have zero regrets. If you can set it up properly (with a stand or at a desk) then you should definitely go for it. There's a learning curve as you have to learn new muscle memory from your fingers into your hands/feet but I'm basically as fast now, if not faster than when I was on a controller.

All that said, if you can justify the cost of a T300RS I would say go for that. The G29 absolutely has a notchy feel to it. It's not overly distracting but it is always there, so doesn't really feel like the steering in a real car . I only went for the G29 as I didn't feel I could justify much more than that for a peripheral I'd only use for one game. Like I said though, no regrets and I'm already considering an upgrade, but will likely wait until next gen to see how that pans out.

I haven't used a T300 but from what I've seen it would be a better investment over the G29, although a G29 is well worth the money.

PS. Using a wheel makes the game immensely more fun, once you get over the learning curve.

i think I might go buy a G29 today. Controller is getting annoying. Waited a few weeks for a t300rs gt sale and it was on sale in the usa at bestbuy. and of course now as of yesterday it isnt even on the bestbuy canada site anymore. I could get one off amazon but again its not on sale. My current budget is like $400 max. Its probably better to start with a cheaper wheel?

G29 249.99 is it true this comes with a 2 year warranty? Would save me buying a protection plan.
T300 419.99 + product protection plan because ive heard of reliability issues. And with tax too this would be like $500 is the ffb difference in the wheels as big as they say?

People say any wheel is better than controller. Ive never owned a wheel or even tried one. Thrustmaster has every mid level wheel on sale except t300. I dont think i could be disappointed by a g29.

If anyone has used one let me know what you think!
Yes 2 years. Mine broke with less than 2 months left and they sent me a new one as a replacement complete with pedals.

I also have a T150. Either is a good choice for your first wheel. The G29 has more buttons for various options that the T150 and T300 lack.

Consider what you're going to attach the wheel to as well.

I had T300RS and it was a really nice wheel but it failed in a big way after a couple of years or so. Since I heard of others with reliability issues I chose to replace it with the G29 which is obviously a cheaper wheel. The wheel is not quite as good but I still like it and I would say the pedals are probably better than the standard T300RS ones.

Thanks guys. Some of you echoed what my friend said. He had a cheap wheel on Xbox 360 and said it was the best 4 years of his life lol. The quality of ffb is just a bonus

Feels like im overthinking this whole wheel thing.

In all honestly, get whatever you can get your hands on that fits your budget, odds are you will thoroughly enjoy any wheel. :cheers:

Edit: My very first wheel was a used MadCatz MC2 wheel I found at a yard sale for $20, if I remember correctly it only suction cupped to the table, had no FFB and mine had no pedals with it so I used X and Square for brake and gas lol. I used it for GT4 and had an absolute blast with it, It’s the reason I bought the DFGT for GT5. I had so much fun with the MC2 on GT4 that I figured one with FFB and pedals could only mean more fun, and it was. :)

42DC4720-5E41-4507-AAB7-650AD68E54B3.jpeg

Last edited:
Congrats on the new wheel man, I hope you enjoy it for many years! :cheers:

For settings, start with Torque on 3/4 and Sensitivity on 1. :)
I started with sensitivity on 2 and hated it. Wheel felt like it had a huge dead zone. Cranked up to 8........much better.

Running Initial Torque on 8 and sensitivity on 10. Go big or go home. :P

I do need to figure out the brake pedal. It's way to sensitive. Cars lock up quite easily.

I started with sensitivity on 2 and hated it. Wheel felt like it had a huge dead zone. Cranked up to 8........much better.

I do need to figure out the brake pedal. It's way to sensitive. Cars lock up quite easily.

Running the torque higher like that makes your wheel work much harder, and thus has potential to shorten its lifespan. Not so say it will, but in theory it can. As far as the brakes, are you using ABS? If not then yeah the cars lock up like crazy, it’s like driving on snow covered Canadian roads. :lol: But there are a few different mods for the brake pedal depending on the feel you would like to achieve. :)

Tip: Always use ABS Default, Always.

I run 7/4/10. I should try what @Pigems suggest though. Every car is different especially the high downforce ones, and every driver likes a different feel. Plus he’s fast. :lol:

I would suggest to everyone to try both ends of the sensitivity scale, I know some guys who use it at 10 and others who use 1. I went with 1 because I want max feel from the car/road, but even that gets argued, some say 10 is max feel, not 1. I originally got the info from this video, but I also tested for myself. I drove a rally car and switched back and forth from 1-10 and also another good one is a Tomahawk on SSRX, lots of vibrations as you round the corners at those speeds and you can change the sensitivity on the fly for quick changes to compare feels. Good luck in finding what works best for you. :cheers:

Running the torque higher like that makes your wheel work much harder, and thus has potential to shorten its lifespan. Not so say it will, but in theory it can. As far as the brakes, are you using ABS? If not then yeah the cars lock up like crazy, it’s like driving on snow covered Canadian roads. :lol: But there are a few different mods for the brake pedal depending on the feel you would like to achieve. :)

Tip: Always use ABS Default, Always.
Eh, worth it. :lol: I am running ABS, but on weak. I will try Default.

I got my first wheel couple of weeks ago aswell - T300RS in my case. Very smooth, sturdily built and relatively silent even with Forced Cooling mode on (my friend has a G29, and he says it is quite loud). Got it for a bit under 300 Euros new. Enjoying it a lot, getting used to it took like day or two, way less than i imagined actually :lol:

Enjoy your G29, nevertheless. It is a nice wheel too 👍

Well im back with some news.. My buddy came with me and ended up going back to bestbuy later and getting the other g29 they had.

There is a shifter laying around as well ;)

Here is my first ghetto rig :)
Nice, natural finish! The main thing is for it to be sturdy :)

I recommend that you also try some other racing games because the FFB in GT Sport is actually quite basic. Project Cars 2, Assetto Corsa, F1(I mostly played 2017) have FFB that’s miles better!

Doesn't this high of a torque setting causes clipping? I personally use between 2-4.

I like your enthusiasm but I re recommend you start dialing down the torque setting until you find the lowest setting that is still acceptable to you in terms of resistance. Otherwise you risk losing out on some of the more subtle forces the wheel can deliver. The higher the torque the more likely that your wheel is clipping. Also, you heighten the risk of extra wear and tear on the wheel and potentially damaging it.

It's great to see that you are enjoying the wheel. Hope to see you on track some day.

Keep the conversation going guys. I love reading about how new to wheel racers are adapting.

Doesn't this high of a torque setting causes clipping?
The higher the torque the more likely that your wheel is clipping.
No idea what that is. Though, I'm not hard on the wheel. Very smooth inputs, not jerking it in any direction unless the car steps out which is rarely with me.

And why would they allow you to set such high settings if there's potential to damage the hardware? I wouldn't think PD would ignore such a thing.

Back