Game has become Dirty

Got to remember as well only a third of PS4 owners have a PS+ account, so 27% having done a Sport mode race is a clear majority of players who can actually access the game mode. Over 100,000 people do at least one sport mode race every week, numbers other racing games would die for.

I've always found motorsport to be quite humbling. Perhaps those 3/4 giving up in < 10 races aren't prepared to accept that perhaps they're not as **** hot as they think they are?

The penalty system might also be a bit of an unwanted wake-up call for some too, being unable to drive the way they want to without the game telling them off all of the time :)

Just two theories.
I'm sure plenty of people will claim that the game's physics aren't for them; dodgy throttle curve or whatever - but in Sport mode everyone's playing the same game at the end of the day.
The numbers are normal and quite expected for any racing title (regardless of if on-line is the focus or not), only around 5 to 10% of players stick around on-line for any length of time.

The reality seems to be that the vast majority of buyers (of all racing games) tend to fall into the 'gamer first' category, as such on-line is not a real draw or any draw at all), its also supported by the (now) under 50% of players of GTS who have even watched the two videos required to go online.

Its been discussed here a few times, but racing titles have a much harder job of it that on-line shooters (which lets be honest set the bench mark), even if the odd of being the winner (MVP on the winning team for shooters), as shooters have managed to well engineer the 'micro-win' into the game.

First by putting you in teams for most modes you have the 'win' of being on that team, then you get the constant 'wins' from kills, long-shots, comebacks, etc. While many in the 5% would not want to see this kind of thing in raging titles ('wins' from good lines, perfect apex, clean pass) on screen all the time, it is a part of the reason why such a small percentage may not be drawn into either trying or staying on-line.

As a comparison around 6% stay for 20 or more races in sport mode in GTS, while in COD WW2 over 20% have managed to prestige on-line, something that requires a lot more time invested than 20 races.

Last edited:
If the game is dirty, just wipe your disc off with a soft cleaning cloth!

Jerome

I've always found motorsport to be quite humbling. Perhaps those 3/4 giving up in < 10 races aren't prepared to accept that perhaps they're not as **** hot as they think they are?

The penalty system might also be a bit of an unwanted wake-up call for some too, being unable to drive the way they want to without the game telling them off all of the time :)

Just two theories.
I'm sure plenty of people will claim that the game's physics aren't for them; dodgy throttle curve or whatever - but in Sport mode everyone's playing the same game at the end of the day.

Agree with all of this. I thought I was pretty good at GT, considering I race with a controller, and I did alright when I first started, even winning 2 races. But now I'm a DR C/B and SR S and the competition is frickin' tough. It's all I can do to finish in the top 10 fairly often, so when I qualified 2nd the other night, I was ecstatic. The competition AND the clean racing makes it fun for me overall, even if it's frustrating as hell to have somebody put 30 seconds of gap on you in a 10 lap race and wondering where you could possibly find 3 seconds per lap.

The numbers are normal and quite expected for any racing title (regardless of if on-line is the focus or not), only around 5 to 10% of players stick around on-line for any length of time.

Whether or not the game’s focus is on online gameplay or not is fairly important when considering the significance (or not) of its player base even venturing into that online territory, let alone retention (which is beside the point anyway). Unlike other racing games, this isn’t an online mode that’s just tagged on to an otherwise stand-alone game, but rather the other way around – they did after all name the game GT Sport and not GT 7 to mark that distinction.
GT Sport’s campaign can be 100%’d very quickly indeed.

The reality seems to be that the vast majority of buyers (of all racing games) tend to fall into the 'gamer first' category, as such on-line is not a real draw or any draw at all)

Your first point is obviously correct, if a little daft; it’s like saying most Call Of Duty WWII players are ‘gamers first’ and not soldiers.
Your second point, I’m not so sure anymore; wasn’t a lot of this game developed to focus on online “sport” play based upon the massive online community built around GT6? Players & communities creating their own leagues & championships, with BoP, penalties etc.

As a comparison around 6% stay for 20 or more races in sport mode in GTS, while in COD WW2 over 20% have managed to prestige on-line, something that requires a lot more time invested than 20 races.

I’m not sure that this is the best analogy. Prestiging is something that just naturally occurs whilst playing the game, more akin to GT Sport’s Emerald driver rank than competitive play participation – I’ll grant you that some players choose not to Prestige though, but I’m not sure what that means in the context of this discussion, it sounds like you’re just saying that online shooters are more popular with casual audiences than sim-oriented racing games?

Wouldn’t a better comparison be CoD WWII player base that has completed a season of rank play – if only 20% prestige I imagine that figure must be far lower.

For some of us not participating in Sport Mode it’s not about winning, we just want consistently good, clean, fair, close races. Clubs can fit this nicely when like minded drivers are found, but this random pickup racing doesn’t fit the bill for everyone.

I did 5 races today, pretty impressed at how much cleaner it is, a lot of people avoiding contact when they're side by side or trying to get by in a corner rather than the typical shove get out of my freaking way driving that got out of hand lately. I'm finishing at a higher position more frequently now.

So roughly 1/4 tries online and of those, 3/4 give up after less than 10 races. Not good.
I got frustrated with it at first... as others have said: it's not the same as playing against the AI and winning 99/100 races which you get used to! Even after about 30 or 40 races I got fed up, moved in to low B and thought 'I'm never going to win a race, what's the point" then I had a eureka moment... I don't need to win races, just enjoy the battle and the occasional podium or win :) I came 11th in a race at Yama yesterday but enjoyed it immensely. Started 14th, gained a few positions, lost a position, gained one back and had a great 3 car battle for the last 3 laps. That's all I need and it's ****ing addictive!

I did 5 races today, pretty impressed at how much cleaner it is, a lot of people avoiding contact when they're side by side or trying to get by in a corner rather than the typical shove get out of my freaking way driving that got out of hand lately. I'm finishing at a higher position more frequently now.
I think the new rules definitely suit genuinely fair racers 👍

Last edited:
I got frustrated with it at first... as others have said: it's not the same as playing against the AI and winning 99/100 races which you get used to! Even after about 30 or 40 races I got fed up, moved in to low B and thought 'I'm never going to win a race, what's the point" then I had a eureka moment... I don't need to win races, just enjoy the battle and the occasional podium or win :) I came 11th in a race at Yama yesterday but enjoyed it immensely. Started 14th, gained a few positions, lost a position, gained one back and had a great 3 car battle for the last 3 laps. That's all I need and it's ****ing addictive!

I think the new rules definitely suit genuinely fair racers 👍
Spot on, for me it is all about the thrill of racing, not just winning, although that is nice too, i have no problem finishing off podium as long as it was a good race, in two of my racers yesterday at Yama, i started lower third of the grid and made up 8 and 9 places respectively, that gave me a great feeling of accomplishment

Whether or not the game’s focus is on online gameplay or not is fairly important when considering the significance (or not) of its player base even venturing into that online territory, let alone retention (which is beside the point anyway). Unlike other racing games, this isn’t an online mode that’s just tagged on to an otherwise stand-alone game, but rather the other way around – they did after all name the game GT Sport and not GT 7 to mark that distinction.
GT Sport’s campaign can be 100%’d very quickly indeed.
If that's the approach you wish to take (I was being far kinder to GTS in this regard) then they missed the brief even more.

GTS has no higher a longer term on-line participation rate (as a percentage) than any other racing title with an on-line component (and yes I have looked at the numbers a lot). The average across titles is 5 to 10%, GTS sits currently at 6%, which could lead one to conclude that the move to an on-line focus for GTS did nothing to increase the percentage of participants over the industry average.

Your first point is obviously correct, if a little daft; it’s like saying most Call Of Duty WWII players are ‘gamers first’ and not soldiers.
Not what I am saying, I'm making the distinction between those gamers who focus on racing titles or FRP titles first and foremost, over gamers in general who also buy and play racing titles and FPS, etc.

These are the gamers first (I'm sure you are well aware that the majority of those participating in this thread fall firmly into the sim-racer or racing gamer first category, while those who post on our equivalent boards for Battlefield or COD or Overwatch are likely to be FPS gamers first.

Do you, for example, imagine that many people here at GTP have yet to have buy a first car or have not played enough to get gifted ten cars, or watched the two videos required to go online?

I would be willing to guess that for each of those the percentage is in the high 90% here at GTP, I don;t even come close to focusing on GTS as a title, yet those were done and dusted within days.

Yet when you look at the actual percentages for those who own the game, its a quite different story, with around half of owners never having achieved any of these three trophy's, Even more telling is that over 70% of owners have not even got to level 15 as a driver! Nor is this a GTS only phenomenon, but rather one that is common across the industry, its just a bit worse in that regard for racing titles. People buy games, play them for a bit, the next thing comes out and they are off.

The reality is that casual gamers abound in terms of buying

Your second point, I’m not so sure anymore; wasn’t a lot of this game developed to focus on online “sport” play based upon the massive online community built around GT6? Players & communities creating their own leagues & championships, with BoP, penalties etc.
It was, my point is that all of that work has not increased the percentage of participants over those racing titles that are seen as being off-line first.

This is something I actually talked about around the time of the betas (IIRC) and it may be that PD and Sony were not aiming to increase the percentage of owners who play on-line for any length of time, but rather rely on a large user base giving them enough people at the average percentage for the industry.

I’m not sure that this is the best analogy. Prestiging is something that just naturally occurs whilst playing the game, more akin to GT Sport’s Emerald driver rank than competitive play participation – I’ll grant you that some players choose not to Prestige though, but I’m not sure what that means in the context of this discussion, it sounds like you’re just saying that online shooters are more popular with casual audiences than sim-oriented racing games?
I'm saying that the structure of on-line shooters appeals to a wider audience than that of racing titles, even when the odds of consistently being the 'overall winner' of an on-line' match/race are not much different.

PD provided a good set of tools for match-making (but still quite basic in comparison to what is available in other gaming genre's - the racing genre is well behind the rest of the market in this regard), but did nothing to make up for the fact that unless players are given these 'micro-wins' then the appeal for all but a small percentage is very, very low.

Oh and I think you will find that taking part in 20 or more races is very much something "that just naturally occurs whilst playing the game", looking at Emerald rank is not the same as it includes off-line as well as on-line play. You can't rank up and prestige in COD off-line.

Wouldn’t a better comparison be CoD WWII player base that has completed a season of rank play – if only 20% prestige I imagine that figure must be far lower.
To prestige takes an average of 27 to 30 hours of gameplay in COD WW2 (average for players scoring around 1,500 per match - which is on the higher side), to take part in 21 on-line races in GTS's Sport mode most certainly doesn't. The average race duration in GTS is 18 minutes (two 15 minute daily races and one 25 minute one, an average of 18 minutes per race), I have no idea how long people spend in qualifying (and we know some don't bother), but even if we are very generous and say its the same duration as the race, that's an average of 36 minutes per race, or 12 hour and 36 minutes in total.

As such its easier in terms of time invested to get to 21 races in GTS than it is to prestige in COD WW2, yet over three times the people do so in WW2. As such the racing genre is doing something wrong in terms of retaining people on-line.

And for the 6% that is what we want, its the other 94% that don't find it enough.

Now you may well be (and PD / Sony too) happy for it to stay at that level, but if they are interested in getting higher levels of long term engagement on-line fro buyers then its clearly not enough.

Last edited:

Well technically the point of racing, or any other sport actually, is to win, right? I understand what you mean and I feel mostly the same way, but what I found what's happening in races I undertake is usually in the middle-back pack there are people just waiting for a good opportunity to just **** you up completely.

Well technically the point of racing, or any other sport actually, is to win, right? I understand what you mean and I feel mostly the same way, but what I found what's happening in races I undertake is usually in the middle-back pack there are people just waiting for a good opportunity to just **** you up completely.
Personally, I haven't found that. Maybe one bad egg in 4 or 5 races is my recent experience.

Not what I am saying, I'm making the distinction between those gamers who focus on racing titles or FRP titles first and foremost, over gamers in general who also buy and play racing titles and FPS, etc.
These are the gamers first (I'm sure you are well aware that the majority of those participating in this thread fall firmly into the sim-racer or racing gamer first category, while those who post on our equivalent boards for Battlefield or COD or Overwatch are likely to be FPS gamers first.

Gamers are gamers, most play a wide variety.
I’d just as happily give you a game on BF1, CoD WWII, or GT Sport :cheers:

The reality is that casual gamers abound in terms of buying

It was, my point is that all of that work has not increased the percentage of participants over those racing titles that are seen as being off-line first.

Right, I think we agree on this point. Most gamers want a casual experience, whereas the direction PD took with the FIA & Sport modes in GT S is clearly to cater for the more serious niche Gran Turismo players – I suppose that direction isn’t for everyone, but it’s what the franchise needed.

Oh and I think you will find that taking part in 20 or more races is very much something "that just naturally occurs whilst playing the game"

Well clearly not, only 6% remember.

looking at Emerald rank is not the same as it includes off-line as well as on-line play. You can't rank up and prestige in COD off-line.

To prestige takes an average of 27 to 30 hours of gameplay in COD WW2 (average for players scoring around 1,500 per match - which is on the higher side), to take part in 21 on-line races in GTS's Sport mode most certainly doesn't. The average race duration in GTS is 18 minutes (two 15 minute daily races and one 25 minute one, an average of 18 minutes per race), I have no idea how long people spend in qualifying (and we know some don't bother), but even if we are very generous and say its the same duration as the race, that's an average of 36 minutes per race, or 12 hour and 36 minutes in total.

As such its easier in terms of time invested to get to 21 races in GTS than it is to prestige in COD WW2, yet over three times the people do so in WW2. As such the racing genre is doing something wrong in terms of retaining people on-line.

You’ve missed the point. The time it takes to Prestige may be longer, but the challenge required to do so is just that – time. You rank up whether you win or lose.
Anyone can Prestige in CoD, you just have to play it for 20 hours.
The FIA & Sport races in GTS are more akin to the Ranked matches in CoD, and I think the figures for % of CoD players who have completed a season of Ranked play may be closer to that 6% than your 20% for Prestige – which is why I agree with you that most players are casual, and so perhaps those FIA & Sport races aren’t appealing to them.
All I’m saying is, I think that that’s a shame, and possibly those players have the wrong attitude towards Sport mode.

Spot on, for me it is all about the thrill of racing, not just winning, although that is nice too, i have no problem finishing off podium as long as it was a good race, in two of my racers yesterday at Yama, i started lower third of the grid and made up 8 and 9 places respectively, that gave me a great feeling of accomplishment

Exactly, that’s what they were aiming for I believe J

And for the 6% that is what we want, its the other 94% that don't find it enough.
Now you may well be (and PD / Sony too) happy for it to stay at that level, but if they are interested in getting higher levels of long term engagement on-line fro buyers then its clearly not enough.

I think the inroads they have made into the real motorsport world will be more than enough to justify the continued development of the franchise, more so than trying to appeal to & satisfy the whims of the casual majority.

Gamers are gamers, most play a wide variety.
I’d just as happily give you a game on BF1, CoD WWII, or GT Sport :cheers:
I know, that's what I said.

The majority of them however don't stay around for the long term on-line in racing titles, certainly when compared to those that do for either BF1 or COD WW2.

So either racing games just don't work for most on-line or something isn't been done to make the genre appeal on-line.

Right, I think we agree on this point. Most gamers want a casual experience, whereas the direction PD took with the FIA & Sport modes in GT S is clearly to cater for the more serious niche Gran Turismo players – I suppose that direction isn’t for everyone, but it’s what the franchise needed.
The advertising campaign in the build up to it certainly spoke to a different truth, 7 to 77 ring any bells?

gts.png

Well clearly not, only 6% remember.
So what do I have to do to qualify to proceed to this part of the game?

Watch two videos that total around 5 minutes.

It can be achieved by simply playing the game, the issue is that very few wish to do that.

You’ve missed the point. The time it takes to Prestige may be longer, but the challenge required to do so is just that – time. You rank up whether you win or lose.
Anyone can Prestige in CoD, you just have to play it for 20 hours.
The FIA & Sport races in GTS are more akin to the Ranked matches in CoD, and I think the figures for % of CoD players who have completed a season of Ranked play may be closer to that 6% than your 20% for Prestige – which is why I agree with you that most players are casual, and so perhaps those FIA & Sport races aren’t appealing to them.
All I’m saying is, I think that that’s a shame, and possibly those players have the wrong attitude towards Sport mode.
What other challenge exists to race in 21 sports races?

You need to watch five minutes of video (actually you don;t even need to do that - you need to start watching them - you can be done and qualfy inside a minute.

The bar to entry is so paper thin as to be non-existant, no greater challenge exists, you don;t need to win in either, you simply need to first x amount of time playing.

The only difference is that more are willing to do so for FPS's than are for racing titles, and it has nothing at all to do with the degree of challenge involved.

I think the inroads they have made into the real motorsport world will be more than enough to justify the continued development of the franchise, more so than trying to appeal to & satisfy the whims of the casual majority.
Without that casual majority you no longer have a financially viable product.

GTS is already low on the overall sales scale for a title in the GT series, you're advocating a future move that would see that reduce even further!

These are inroads that are not as innovative as PD and Sony would like you to believe either (and have not resulted in a

Last edited:
The only difference is that more are willing to do so for FPS's than are for racing titles, and it has nothing at all to do with the degree of challenge involved.

I think with FPS the fact more are willing to go online is largely down to being able to be matched up with your friends (especially important for 13-21 year olds), probably more of whom have CoD or FIFA than GT.

Then in Sport mode unless you and your friends happen to have the same DR/SR you're unlikely to get matched together. Only option is to fool around in a lobby but doesn't have that "you and your mates vs the world" vibe to it. I remember in the earlier days of GT5's development online clubs were being mentioned as a possible online feature, which I reckon would've been a decent draw to casual players especially back when online was free.

I think with FPS the fact more are willing to go online is largely down to being able to be matched up with your friends (especially important for 13-21 year olds), probably more of whom have CoD or FIFA than GT.

Then in Sport mode unless you and your friends happen to have the same DR/SR you're unlikely to get matched together. Only option is to fool around in a lobby but doesn't have that "you and your mates vs the world" vibe to it. I remember in the earlier days of GT5's development online clubs were being mentioned as a possible online feature, which I reckon would've been a decent draw to casual players especially back when online was free.
So in part its down to the genre being behind the curve when it comes to on-line.

Back