Game is great but still something missing?

• Thread starter Paulzx
  • 51 comments
Paulzx
Okay so I opted for GT Sport over Pcars 2 based purely on not having the time for both. I went for GTS primarily because I knew it would be a polished product that worked - and it does. Pcars 2 is or was...a bit of a mess out of the box, I like both games but I knew PC2 is undergoing a lot of fixes.

I am impressed with GTS and it looks great, it works etc but am I the only one to have a feeling in my water that the actual driving experience is lacking something?
If anything, it may be a bit too polished, or a bit too sedate, too civilised. I can't really put my finger on it but when I raced Pcars1 GT3, I felt like I had actually raced a GT3 car! I don't always get that with GT Sport.

I'm thinking maybe just the driving experience itself is more authentic feeling in Project cars. Has anyone else noticed that?

I'm not about to give up on GTS as it has a lot to offer, and online racing may well prove to be better than Pcars2. I love both franchises but I can't help feeling the driving is a bit soulless in GT Sport at the moment.

I think a big issue for what your talking about is that in GT Sport (at least the beta and demo) the surface of the road was smooth like glass and the cars just glided over the tracks. On top of that the actual car and the camera in PCars is somewhat separate so the whole car will wobble and bounce on the road, something that's missing in GT Sport.

I think those two little effects actually account for a lot.

Okay so I opted for GT Sport over Pcars 2 based purely on not having the time for both. I went for GTS primarily because I knew it would be a polished product that worked - and it does. Pcars 2 is or was...a bit of a mess out of the box, I like both games but I knew PC2 is undergoing a lot of fixes.

I am impressed with GTS and it looks great, it works etc but am I the only one to have a feeling in my water that the actual driving experience is lacking something?
If anything, it may be a bit too polished, or a bit too sedate, too civilised. I can't really put my finger on it but when I raced Pcars1 GT3, I felt like I had actually raced a GT3 car! I don't always get that with GT Sport.

I'm thinking maybe just the driving experience itself is more authentic feeling in Project cars. Has anyone else noticed that?

I'm not about to give up on GTS as it has a lot to offer, and online racing may well prove to be better than Pcars2. I love both franchises but I can't help feeling the driving is a bit soulless in GT Sport at the moment.

Maybe because of the lack of movement and camera shakes when driving? Driving in GT has always been feel more relax and tame compared to other games. SMS is good at making immersive experience when you're driving, sometimes too exaggerated but that's what makes it unique.

Bugs and issues with both games aside, I can't see how anyone that gave both PC1 and 2 and GTS an honest appraisal could feel any different about the driving experience itself, especially from the cockpit view.

Bugs and issues with both games aside, I can't see how anyone that gave both PC1 and 2 and GTS an honest appraisal could feel any different about the driving experience itself, especially from the cockpit view.

Is there any problems with the cockpit view?

Maybe because of the lack of movement and camera shakes when driving? Driving in GT has always been feel more relax and tame compared to other games. SMS is good at making immersive experience when you're driving, sometimes too exaggerated but that's what makes it unique.

That's because pretty much every track in GT is always buttery smooth. No bumps or track surface detail at all. That's what made me decide to not get it until it goes on sale. PCars IMO is a much more immersive experience.

I think you will struggling to find any game that replicates the sensation of being in a race better than PC2. It's visceral, immersive and stick on a VR headset and you could be there! I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into GTS online and racing against like minded people. However, I don't for a second think it will match the feeling I get when I'm playing PC2.

Mr. OP

Turn off the Assists i say.

Quite amusing though in a day you liked the game and also felt something missing. Wonder how much have you played or how much cars you have driven to come to conclusions so early. Baffling for me.

I think you will struggling to find any game that replicates the sensation of being in a race better than PC2. It's visceral, immersive and stick on a VR headset and you could be there! I'm looking forward to getting my teeth into GTS online and racing against like minded people. However, I don't for a second think it will match the feeling I get when I'm playing PC2.

I think that is it. The problem is PCars2 did a better job than GT:S at replication the sports of racing. I had the exact same feeling last night as I was playing GT:S. My biggest issue is there is almost no settings to tweak the FFB in GT:S. I had to work with very heavy FFB even when the settings was set to 1. In PCars2, I was able to tweak it to my liking and the experience was enhanced tenfold.

My other grip with GT:S was how the braking works in the game. I am still struggling with it. It doesn't feel right. Cars feels like they have factory default brakes instead of of racing brakes. I never had that feeling in PCars2, It felt organic the minutes I started to play the game. Mind you, I only have 5 hours in GT:S. My opinion can change but so far, as much as I love GT:S, PCars2 is just a better game IMO.

Someone's grumpy today...

Anyway, yea it's the cockpit movement that you don't get. I don't you can adjust FOV in GTS either.

this exactly, GT Sport as polished as it is still feels like i’m playing an arcade game, PC2 feels like i’m actually pushing a race car to its’ limits.

Someone's grumpy today...

Anyway, yea it's the cockpit movement that you don't get. I don't you can adjust FOV in GTS either.

You can. In advanced options there is a slider to move further forward or back, as well as higher up or down. There isn't a huge range, but I've found it to be helpful in quite a few cars.

this exactly, GT Sport as polished as it is still feels like i’m playing an arcade game, PC2 feels like i’m actually pushing a race car to its’ limits.

Really, that's incredible, how do they simulate the physical G-forces of a race car at its limits on your arms, legs, head and internal organs? how do they simulate the temperatures? the smells? the neuro-chemical reaction to the basic instinct of physical danger? the potential financial impact of stacking machinery that costs the same as a house 10 times per lap? I'm really surprised PCars2 achieves this. This spells the end of real world motorsport!!!

end of sarcasm...

I know what you're saying, but really GTS and PC2 are far closer to each other than they are to being anything real, this is one of my pet gripes about the world of car gamers (or sim-racers, whatever), they do not, or cannot, produce the same physical, biological, chemical or financial results as the real thing. People argue over the difference between sims/games, when in actuality that's a fairly small sensory/neurochemical gap compared to doing the real thing. If you think they do offer the same sensation, then I wonder if you would turn down the opportunity to drive a real GT3 car at an FIA grade 1 track (for example), over the opportunity to do it in the same car, at the same track, but in a game?

I think a big issue for what your talking about is that in GT Sport (at least the beta and demo) the surface of the road was smooth like glass and the cars just glided over the tracks. On top of that the actual car and the camera in PCars is somewhat separate so the whole car will wobble and bounce on the road, something that's missing in GT Sport.

I think those two little effects actually account for a lot.

Probably right, although I'm playing the full game now not the demo, and it's the same

Well they are different and I only use cockpit view. The feel of driving the car is different, some may not notice but others who have replied to this thread obviously do

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. OP

Turn off the Assists i say.

Quite amusing though in a day you liked the game and also felt something missing. Wonder how much have you played or how much cars you have driven to come to conclusions so early. Baffling for me.

Baffling? I played the demo thoroughly, I started playing the full game yesterday. I have now driven enough miles in this game to know how the driving sensation feels. There are enough variety of cars available to find this out. I don't see anything baffling about praising the game yet stating my secondary observation, it's not a criticism, it's an observation from someone who plays a lot of driving sims.

And I never use assists ;)

That's exactly it, it's almost too polished I think. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing the game at all, I think it's a great product with a lot to offer but the completion is pretty good now and the small details can make a difference now. I think if Pcars 2 had been working better from release, it would have been a tougher choice to buy GTS

I know what you're saying, but really GTS and PC2 are far closer to each other than they are to being anything real, this is one of my pet gripes about the world of car gamers (or sim-racers, whatever), they do not, or cannot, produce the same physical, biological, chemical or financial results as the real thing. People argue over the difference between sims/games, when in actuality that's a fairly small sensory/neurochemical gap compared to doing the real thing. If you think they do offer the same sensation, then I wonder if you would turn down the opportunity to drive a real GT3 car at an FIA grade 1 track (for example), over the opportunity to do it in the same car, at the same track, but in a game?

That's a bit silly isn't it, you're taking the original observation to an extreme. The point I was making is still valid and has nothing to do with what you wrote above

I simulate that in PC2 using my motion rig.

Knowing you I can well believe that!

I would like to add that I'm not about to quit GTS, there's tons of gameplay to be had out of the title and it is way too early to just get rid of it, nor am I suggesting Pcars2 is better, it's not about that, it's purely the feel of the drive I was comparing out of interest.

It may mean I end up getting both games, which I think some of you here seem to have done and is probably a wise choice (just one I was trying to avoid)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well they are different and I only use cockpit view. The feel of driving the car is different, some may not notice but others who have replied to this thread obviously do
I agree and to me the difference is dramatic. I never got into the cockpit view in 15 years of playing GT because I could never get it adjusted to be both comfortable and with a realistic FOV. Used nothing but cockpit view in various other games since.

I simulate that in PC2 using my motion rig with my VR headset on.

Given the limitations of the scenario and... y'know... physics, I'm skeptical that a rig can generate peak or sustained acceleration/deceleration in the same way "pushing a race car" at it's "limits" can... but hey, as long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I hope you don't sustain any injuries from its simulated impacts :cheers:

That's a bit silly isn't it, you're taking the original observation to an extreme. The point I was making is still valid and has nothing to do with what you wrote above

No, you said "PC2 feels like i’m actually pushing a race car to its’ limits"... I'm putting it into context. Nothing I questioned is beyond the premise of "pushing a race car to its’ limits", those things I mentioned could be reasonably expected from a situation where someone is "pushing a race car to its’ limits". If it seems a "silly" thing to highlight, it's because yours is a BS claim in the first place.... though clearly it's what you believe :confused:

Latest Posts

Back