Game is great but still something missing?

• Thread starter Paulzx
  • 51 comments
GT6 used to put me to sleep. Seemed so "alone" when racing(less so, when racing the GT3 event). GT1-4 had the perfect atmospheres. The crowds, car sounds, AI, car behavior, trying to maintain speed, cornering. I'm hoping GTS doesn't have that feel of, "just push it into the corners and a tap of the brake or poor man's ABS, will help you".

Does GTS feel like you're racing alone?

Given the limitations of the scenario and... y'know... physics, I'm skeptical that a rig can generate peak or sustained acceleration/deceleration in the same way "pushing a race car" at it's "limits" can... but hey, as long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I hope you don't sustain any injuries from its simulated impacts :cheers:

No, you said "PC2 feels like i’m actually pushing a race car to its’ limits"... I'm putting it into context. Nothing I questioned is beyond the premise of "pushing a race car to its’ limits", those things I mentioned could be reasonably expected from a situation where someone is "pushing a race car to its’ limits". If it seems a "silly" thing to highlight, it's because yours is a BS claim in the first place.... though clearly it's what you believe :confused:

It's not BS as you claim, I feel exactly the same.
He did say 'feels like' not 'is'.

I have my copy of the game and let me tell you, the driving feels great! It feels real. It's the best driving feel out there I think. I think there are plenty of cars and tracks....the great news is that there will be much more and free! But I really don't understand why there isn't a traditional career mode. They could've had both a full career mode and online play. But it is what it is. I'm enjoying the heck out of this game!

Given the limitations of the scenario and... y'know... physics, I'm skeptical that a rig can generate peak or sustained acceleration/deceleration in the same way "pushing a race car" at it's "limits" can... but hey, as long as you enjoy it, that's all that matters. I hope you don't sustain any injuries from its simulated impacts :cheers:
Off course it can’t. However, it does add to the experience and the simulated impacts can be very unpleasant but no injuries so far. That being said it’s stiil entirely possible for one game to give a much better sensation of racing a car round a track. And PC2 does a much better job of that than GTS.

What i miss is that my chase cam settings still wont save..... ow and rotating cam from the outside thats samething i miss so bad!!!

No, you said "PC2 feels like i’m actually pushing a race car to its’ limits"... I'm putting it into context. Nothing I questioned is beyond the premise of "pushing a race car to its’ limits", those things I mentioned could be reasonably expected from a situation where someone is "pushing a race car to its’ limits". If it seems a "silly" thing to highlight, it's because yours is a BS claim in the first place.... though clearly it's what you believe :confused:

I didn't say that at all if you look at the post again, I said in Pcars1 I felt like I had actually driven a GT3 car. Most people would understand that I was referring to the feel of the driving. Clearly I was not referring to any physical forces.

If you having nothing constructive to say then please don't bother replying. I'm not interested in pedantic tittle tattle.

I have my copy of the game and let me tell you, the driving feels great! It feels real. It's the best driving feel out there I think. I think there are plenty of cars and tracks....the great news is that there will be much more and free! But I really don't understand why there isn't a traditional career mode. They could've had both a full career mode and online play. But it is what it is. I'm enjoying the heck out of this game!

Agreed, it is an enjoyable sim. I can only compare the driving with Pcars1, I haven't actually got Pcars2 but you can tell from some of the guys comments on here, I think Pcars2 is going to be a more in depth authentic sim. GTS has other things to offer though. The online modes will hopefully prove to be more polished and reliable than Pcars 2

Off course it can’t. However, it does add to the experience and the simulated impacts can be very unpleasant but no injuries so far. That being said it’s stiil entirely possible for one game to give a much better sensation of racing a car round a track. And PC2 does a much better job of that than GTS.

Slim, what's the online like in Pcars2, is it up and running?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been doing a lot of online practice in the GT3's for the ESL comp which starts this weekend. Net code appears to be pretty robust and not had too many issues other than when I've been in lobbys with people from very far afield. Driving standards are mixed, for example I had three races in a row the other night where within 20 seconds of the start I had been sideswiped by some idiot and ended up on my roof, race over. Not happy! However the five race after that where with a great bunch of guys and had some really close, clean, fun racing.

Didn't manage to find time to try the online in GTS got it yesterday and you know UCL happen but will put more time during the weekend. The Pcars2 online though is amazing it's like you are actually driving on a track with real people on it. I had a race with dynamic weather as well once and was such a blast when the track got wet and people jump into pits to change tires etc. The online in Pcars2 have so much potential because you can experience basically every variance of a race that you can think of be Indy 500, Monaco GP, 24 Hours of Le Mans, 12 hours of Bathrouse, 24 hours of Spa you just name it find suitable minded people and go race for it and you can have multi-class grids as well. I spend a weekend mastering Nurburgring GP with Ferrari just to be able to set laps with the same pace as my opponents and was super satisfying when I get this P1 at the qualifying in my last lap when the Q time was up and then starting from P1 I won the race against a 14 other people.

Doubt that GTS will manage to offer so much in terms of online but I want to give it a shot so will test it during the weekend.

My take on PCARS 2 vs. GT:Sport from playing on a PS4 Pro on 4K HDR TV with the DS4 controller:
(note that I absolutely enjoy both games and wouldn’t want to get rid of either one of them)

* PCARS 2 is hands down the most realistic game, sim if you want. The car classes and their handling, the real life tracks, the dynamic weather, the time of day, the seasons, the driver career, livetrack 3.0 etc all contribute to that.
* PCARS 2 also gives the most diversified racing experience with so many tracks and weather conditions plus rallycross and ice/snow surfaces.
* GT:Sport however feels more polished, it has that GT feeling of old with the driving school missions, has a familiar GUI and some of the best menu music I ever heard in a game.
* Part of that polished GT feeling also comes from how the cars handle, GT:Sport has a more simplistic handling/tyre/physics model than PCARS 2, but that also means each car is easily to step into and drive, you won’t run into those situations like in PCARS 2 where you would think the game handles bad because maybe you didn’t understand you were using the wrong tires under the wrong circumstances.
* What I also absolutely like in GT:Sport is the mature feeling (compared to Forza then) from the museum info, the scapes, the intro video etc.

I have not tried multiplayer in either one game but I did watch a significant amount of videos of both in multiplayer. I’d say GT:Sport is your easy to step into multiplayer and looks incredibly fun to me. PCARS 2 has that more realistic sim-feeling where you just don’t want to jump in unprepared.

If you can get both games I can only recommend doing so. They complement each other really well IMO and can coexist perfectly next to each other.

My take on PCARS 2 vs. GT:Sport from playing on a PS4 Pro on 4K HDR TV with the DS4 controller:
(note that I absolutely enjoy both games and wouldn’t want to get rid of either one of them)

* PCARS 2 is hands down the most realistic game, sim if you want. The car classes and their handling, the real life tracks, the dynamic weather, the time of day, the seasons, the driver career, livetrack 3.0 etc all contribute to that.
* PCARS 2 also gives the most diversified racing experience with so many tracks and weather conditions plus rallycross and ice/snow surfaces.
* GT:Sport however feels more polished, it has that GT feeling of old with the driving school missions, has a familiar GUI and some of the best menu music I ever heard in a game.
* Part of that polished GT feeling also comes from how the cars handle, GT:Sport has a more simplistic handling/tyre/physics model than PCARS 2, but that also means each car is easily to step into and drive, you won’t run into those situations like in PCARS 2 where you would think the game handles bad because maybe you didn’t understand you were using the wrong tires under the wrong circumstances.
* What I also absolutely like in GT:Sport is the mature feeling (compared to Forza then) from the museum info, the scapes, the intro video etc.

I have not tried multiplayer in either one game but I did watch a significant amount of videos of both in multiplayer. I’d say GT:Sport is your easy to step into multiplayer and looks incredibly fun to me. PCARS 2 has that more realistic sim-feeling where you just don’t want to jump in unprepared.

If you can get both games I can only recommend doing so. They complement each other really well IMO and can coexist perfectly next to each other.

Sounds like both games fill the niche they were shooting for, PCars 2 is more of a technical racing sim and GTS is a more or less does not take as much fiddling just more of a hop in and race game.

I have the original PCars but not PC2, I have all of the main GT series games. I can see where there are times a person wants to maybe concentrate on getting the absolute most out of a cars set up and PC cars I think gives a better experience in that arena as the cars in the game probably respond to small changes in set up on a more realistic level. Somebody that really learns the physics associated with tuning will really like that technical aspect and your driving style does affect how a particular set up or tune will work for you and may not work well at all for a different driver with a different style of braking or acceleration.

GTS on the other hand is a more polished looking game and just using basic base set ups with a few tweaks can have you racing quickly being mostly competitive among drivers of an equal talent level. Also one thing that GTS seems to be bringing into this edition is the difference in fuel mapping changes for strategy concerning fuel mileage and tire wear in longer races with pit stops.

So it seems that both games bring something to the table, I do like GTS and think that the platform has a lot of potential. I will probably buy PC2 a little later as they get the bugs worked out.

I think that ANY online racing to eliminate the crash fest needs to get away from a 4 or 5 lap race where you have 20 cars trying to win the race. Races need to be long enough to allow a racer time to cleanly work through traffic and to employ a strategy using parts of the track where he is strong to do so. Playing with GTS and the damage set on high if you do not take care of your car it will result in the cars performance falling off requiring a trip to the pits for repair. Again this is something which should be used frequently online to help control a driver from playing demo derby.

It is a good time to be a gamer and like racing and driving sims, there are many choices and each have their strong points which allows every type and class of racer to find what suites their likes the best.

What a well written post this is. This conclusion is what I was thinking to be honest, thanks for the insight

It is a good time to be a gamer and like racing and driving sims, there are many choices and each have their strong points which allows every type and class of racer to find what suites their likes the best.

Agreed, although I think we have more of a dilemma these days because there is good competition about. For all the differences the main driving sims have between them, they are also very close in most respects which means of course that if you just want one game to put your time into, it's a tricky choice!

I started out in this thread wanting to choose between GTS and Pcars2, I ended up buying GTS over Pcars2 but started to doubt my choice.
now it looks like I'll just end up with both games! Life isn't simple as a sim racing fan, surely it has to be easier just being into call of duty ;)

Agreed, although I think we have more of a dilemma these days because there is good competition about. For all the differences the main driving sims have between them, they are also very close in most respects which means of course that if you just want one game to put your time into, it's a tricky choice!

I started out in this thread wanting to choose between GTS and Pcars2, I ended up buying GTS over Pcars2 but started to doubt my choice.
now it looks like I'll just end up with both games! Life isn't simple as a sim racing fan, surely it has to be easier just being into call of duty ;)

I'm starting to doubt mine too. With pcars2 being more realistic, and having more real-world tracks (especially US tracks; ones I might attend an HPDE in real life) it seems that GTS comes in third to pcars2 and iracing (has VIR and CMP as DLC). It really came down to being a long time fan of GT as a whole, since I've been playing since GT1.

I'm starting to doubt mine too. With pcars2 being more realistic, and having more real-world tracks (especially US tracks; ones I might attend an HPDE in real life) it seems that GTS comes in third to pcars2 and iracing (has VIR and CMP as DLC). It really came down to being a long time fan of GT as a whole, since I've been playing since GT1.

I think that in time with DLC we will probably see Laguna, Indy and Daytona as U.S. tracks that will be added as all 3 are world wide known courses and have all been in prior GT releases. The only thing that could be a hold back is if there are issues or concerns in obtaining the legal licensing to use the tracks and their names.

I think that in time with DLC we will probably see Laguna, Indy and Daytona as U.S. tracks that will be added as all 3 are world wide known courses and have all been in prior GT releases. The only thing that could be a hold back is if there are issues or concerns in obtaining the legal licensing to use the tracks and their names.

Is VIR or Road Atlanta too much to ask? iRacing even has CMP, and PC2 has Watkins Glen, all tracks I would or have attended.

Is VIR or Road Atlanta too much to ask? iRacing even has CMP, and PC2 has Watkins Glen, all tracks I would or have attended.

Love VIR, have spent a lot of time lapping both the North and South course there. I doubt there would be any chance we will see that in the game though, The Glen could be a possibility though and Road Atlanta I would doubt on a game that is more world wide themed. Another course that has a nice layout you will never see in a game is Summit Point Main course.

I'd say the game is missing proper servers and with it the necessary competency on the part of PD.

Love VIR, have spent a lot of time lapping both the North and South course there. I doubt there would be any chance we will see that in the game though, The Glen could be a possibility though and Road Atlanta I would doubt on a game that is more world wide themed. Another course that has a nice layout you will never see in a game is Summit Point Main course.

Have we ever had the data to map the user demographics for GT over the years? I'd think most of the players are US based, but that could be my ethnocentrism talking :P

I would say Europe would have as large if not larger what would be classed as a more serious player user base as we do here in the states

Actually, it sounds like you need all THREE games - Pcars 2, GTSport & Asseto Corsa. From what I'm reading PCars 2 has atrocious AI & GTSport has no offline game to speak of. AC now has pretty good AI along with the best physics/FFB on console, which makes it the best place to go for offline racing.

Aside from that, I remain deeply sceptical about the physics of both PCars 2 & GTSport. If they don't make sense "at the limit", which is what I am hearing, then they don't really make sense at all. No amount of beautiful graphics or TOD/weather variation can make up for that.

Aside from that, I remain deeply sceptical about the physics of both PCars 2 & GTSport. If they don't make sense "at the limit", which is what I am hearing, then they don't really make sense at all. No amount of beautiful graphics or TOD/weather variation can make up for that.

Physics in PCars 2 are great they are the only game that I know that simulate bumps on tracks and do it really great. I don't get why people like AC so much I have the game and didn't like it mostly because there is no sense of speed and the cars stop really hard which is not the case with PCars actually since I got my T150 Pro I did buy all the car games besides Dirt and I enjoy PCars 2 the most. The game is super fun because of all the tracks and cars. GT Sports is like an MMO you have to grind a lot for Millage Points to buy the exclusive cars and items from the Millage exchange. The racing experience in GT Sport is not cool as the tire model and the very arcade feel of the game made it not great to race it's not fun. The Pcars 2 online experience is the purest form of racing that I have ever seen in a video game only problem is that the races take to long because of qualifying sessions but you can have whatever sort of racing you like.

Back