Game Wear

• Thread starter seadog777
  • 76 comments
I drive slow cars and always have tbh in real life, but i also like thin soled shoes for driving. I wear steeled toe boots for close to 20 years for work and i still hate driving in them when i need to. I actually drive bare foot even in the summer sometimes
Drove in steel toed boots as a mechanic for the past 12 years and it took roughly a year or 2 to do but yeah, it’s awful even now.

I have a pair of Adidas originals. Thin sole and plenty of feeling. If I’m not wearing them I go bare foot. Socks are way too slippy. I have some alpine stars gloves also to use. Although I only have a dfgt and newly acquired g29, they still work wonders!

I usually just wear socks on my feet for gaming. I don't own any trainers, or slippers, and the boots I do own seem far too chunky for gaming. That said, I can drive in real life with them, just fine. Whether they're engineers/bike boots, general work boots, or New Rocks.

I am tempted to get a pair of mechanics gloves for playing GT, though.

Last edited:
All this talk of socks - I have a strange craving for cheese....

Personally I just wear comfortable socks and that gives me sufficient grip.

I have a pair of Jimmy Broadbent branded F33L gloves, they’re pretty great, just the stitching on the inside gets a bit annoying on your fingertips... don’t understand why they didn’t make them ‘inside out’ stitching, like real racing gloves, but oh well...

For my feet, just socks :)

No helmet currently... probably would if I had a good one, painted in my personal colors... yes i’m weird like that :rolleyes: Good real racing helmets cost x thousands of €$£ and a professional paint job is very expensive too unfortunately...

Speaking of helmets. Pretty soon we'll all look like this.

HelmetVR-leader.jpg

I have many pairs of high quality Snap On cotton socks that I always seem to have on when racing. I have even managed to start wearing off some of the black anodizing on my pedal set where my gas pedal foot rests.

Comfy clothes, socks, and gloves for me. 👍

I have the Fanatec V3 pedals, and I started using them with shoes but didn't like the lack of feel on the pedals.
So I soon switched to socks and haven't looked back.
But as @fastone371 mentions, the socks have worn away the paint where my heels rest below the brake and throttle pedals.
And the throttle pedal itself is also showing similar signs.
What's done is done, and continuing to use socks won't change what is needed to 'fix' the pedals, so socks it is.

I got the Fanatec CLS XBox wheel rim (PS4 rim not available individually) and the Carbon F1 rim.
I started with the CSL rim as it was more like a normal wheel, but quickly started to ruin the alcantara.
I tried to restore it, which kinda worked, but it didn't take long before it went back to its 'ruined' state.
The wheel was under $100 so I guess it's not a big deal.

The Carbon F1 wheel though is considerably more expensive, and also has alcantara.
So I went to a racing store and bought some cheap low-level go karting gloves.
The F1 wheel and gloves are essentially now my permanent setup.

Do any of you wear gloves? When i look at videos of GTS championships, a lot of players wear gloves. I tried a pair of cheap cotton ones, with dimpled palms, from the local go-kart track and they're too hot - what's the idea of gloves??

The regional and world finalists are given gloves and boots to wear while driving and are compulsory as far as im aware. Most of the guys i talked to generally no gloves and sock or thin soled shoes/slippers.

Do any of you have special game / racing wear? I hope nobody says they wear a crash helmet :lol:
A pair of Alpinestars Tech 1-K kart gloves. While they're not really necessary, they have a huge amount of grip, and can make long play sessions infinitely more comfortable, as well as more immersive. Highly recommended.

I have a pair of Jimmy Broadbent branded F33L gloves, they’re pretty great, just the stitching on the inside gets a bit annoying on your fingertips... don’t understand why they didn’t make them ‘inside out’ stitching, like real racing gloves, but oh well...

For my feet, just socks :)

No helmet currently... probably would if I had a good one, painted in my personal colors... yes i’m weird like that :rolleyes: Good real racing helmets cost x thousands of €$£ and a professional paint job is very expensive too unfortunately...

A pair of Alpinestars Tech 1-K kart gloves. While they're not really necessary, they have a huge amount of grip, and can make long play sessions infinitely more comfortable, as well as more immersive. Highly recommended.

I might look at gloves, but just to protect the wheel. However found out T300RS is not plastic, it's a "reinforced rubber texture on the wheel's entire circumference". Not sure if sweat can damage rubber, but will look into it.

To those of you that wear socks..... if you have metal pedals, don't your feet slide all over the place?

I am slowly reverting back to bare feet.... am not getting on so well with the "driving shoes"!

Last edited:
MANY years ago I was playing the first TOCA game on PS1 on a small portable tv in the spare room of the new marital home. Had a small pair of Walkman style headphones on for sound. Glancing around the room my eyes fell on a crash helmet in the corner of the room from some banger racing exploits. The inevitable happened, just as an experiment you understand. Did a few laps then heard the front door opening as my wife returned home. Panicking and not wanting to be found playing with a crash helmet on I quickly pulled it off, completely forgetting that I still had the headphones on under the lid and nearly ripped my ears off! Painful but still, it made for a passable anecdote for a first post on a forum years later!

Brilliant stuff mate! This has to be at least nominted as a best first post on here :D

On the subject, I just use my bare hands and wear socks using my G29.

However, I sometimes do sweat in my palms and get a little sore on the inside between me thumbs and index fingers on longer sessions, as well as getting a little pain in my left heel on longer sessions. So I have been debating to get some gloves and maybe just thicker socks. I feel like the pedals on the G29 are a bit too small to use full on shoes, especially having rather large feet myself (EU size 47-48, which translates to US size 14 if I'm not mistaken)

I also have a T300rs, with the standard stock pedals and metal plates, my feet don’t slide off, I prefer the pedal to slide a bit so it moves smoothly under my feet.

Maybe I need to try some different socks! I like the slipper idea, but slippers not easy to find here in Asia.... might import some from Amazon :)
But, will try some "rougher" socks first.

I modded my brake pedal (Logi G29) to be stiffer, so I can't use socks or slippers or I'd hurt my feet.
I have these instead, which I use for my daily driving but also for sims (mine are black/yellow).
The actual model is called Sparco Zandvoort. It's not a full fledged motorsport shoe but the flat hard sole does its job properly.
upload_2019-4-3_10-6-24.png

I also use Mechanix thin work gloves since my sweat on the aluminium paddles makes my fingertips sore after long driving sessions. They're the High Dexterity ones I use to fix PCs.

A1PysK5H8WL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Socks is all i need, although those swimming shoes look like they could be worth a try. I thought about trying some gloves that i wear in winter for football as i get a hard lump of skin on the inside of my left thumb (don't know why its only on my left?!?!) - not even sure if gloves would affect the lump anyway.
They would, definitely. I used to get lumps like this all the time. Not since switching to gloves, though.

Mods - didn't know where to put this - doesn't really suit Sim Hardware or Rumblestrip.....

I feel a bit of a nerd (especially as I'm not a fast driver!) but today I bought a pair of Puma Drift Cat 7 "motorsport" shoes for playing GTS!!
Naff? Probably :lol:

In my defence, and my excuse to my wife, I have been playing for 3 months now, in bare feet, and after longer sessions it is pretty uncomfortable. I tried normal trainers but the soles were thick and I couldn't "feel" the pedals. Sounds weird but I like to have some kind of feeling of the pedals (hard to explain). I tried flip-flops, same thing but worse as your feet move around in them. Tried socks on their own but foot kept slipping off.

Just done a Gr.1 race at Tokyo in Campaign / Pro and it's too early to tell whether I'll use them all the time or go back to bare feet!

Do any of you have special game / racing wear? I hope nobody says they wear a crash helmet :lol:
I wear leather moccasins with leather bottoms. Work great and cheaper than racing shoes.

Back