Gatwick airport closed by drone attack

If it's the former, I say let the planes take off and land and just ignore it.
Not a good look, Danoff. Windshields and jet engines don't fare too well after getting hit with one of these.

EDIT: That said, in my experience, flying in foreign airspace is a freaking joke compared to the US. Canada couldn't even figure out how to handle my aerial survey activities over Montreal without calling a US facility for advice. General aviation is still much more common in Canada than it is in Europe but the GA pilots seemed poorly trained and ATC seemed unaccommodating. I've heard similar problems existed in Australia when coworkers were there.

We're told the "no drone" comments were a "miscommunication". BBC.

Police say they're examining a damaged drone found near the perimeter and that the Drone Dome system was used. They don't directly link the damaged drone to Drone Dome in any statement I can find but it's easy to presume that they're related.

Last edited:
We're told the "no drone" comments were a "miscommunication". BBC.

Police say they're examining a damaged drone found near the perimeter and that the Drone Dome system was used. They don't directly link the damaged drone to Drone Dome in any statement I can find but it's easy to presume that they're related.
I've read that the entire airport - which is not overly large - was closely ringed by onlookers and reporters during the entire event, and that not one of them saw a drone. Apparently all, now 67, sightings were by airport employees and/or security. So if passengers, people around the perimeter and reporters were all looking for a drone and saw none, how does that square? Surely something doesn't add up here.

I've read that the entire airport - which is not overly large - was closely ringed by onlookers and reporters during the entire event, and that not one of them saw a drone. Apparently all, now 67, sightings were by airport employees and/or security. So if passengers, people around the perimeter and reporters were all looking for a drone and saw none, how does that square? Surely something doesn't add up here.

Aliens.

If you say so. What do you know? I have seen a viewpoint expressed that the drone story was a cover for another equally serious but undisclosed security problem.

Maybe, but there were 200 sightings with 67 formal statements taken. Not all those sightings (as I understand it) were from "airport personnel".

The Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires are forcing airport personnel to say they are seeing drones in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner!

We're through the looking glass, people.

The Rand Corporation, in conjunction with the saucer people, under the supervision of the reverse vampires are forcing airport personnel to say they are seeing drones in a fiendish plot to eliminate the meal of dinner!

We're through the looking glass, people.

Is it just me, or did a red dot suddenly appear on your forehead? :confused:

The notion that only airport personnel observed the drone is offensive to those who didn't, be they visually-, flexion[ally]- or geographically-impaired.

Maybe, but there were 200 sightings with 67 formal statements taken. Not all those sightings (as I understand it) were from "airport personnel".
Humpf. :grumpy: With that many sightings from that many formal statements, where are the photos? Where are the videos? Where are the witnesses coming forth to the press? Until I see evidence, it's hard not to be skeptical that the whole affair isn't some kind of scam.

The arrested couple have made a statement saying they feel completely violated and are now receiving medical care. Going to add yet more to the Police PR disaster, especially after the admission of a no drone possibility.

They should sue all who gave out their names and photos. There must be a lawyer out there who sees a massive profit in this. And with massive I mean massive.

The arrested couple have made a statement saying they feel completely violated and are now receiving medical care.
Is there any indication of any injuries they're supposed to have sustained?

Is there any indication of any injuries they're supposed to have sustained?

I haven't seen specifics but it will likely be treatment for emotional trauma. Can you imagine if you added Police brutality to this story!

I haven't seen specifics but it will likely be treatment for emotional trauma.
Nor have I and I'd assumed that much, but I considered the possibility you had information that I did not.

Can you imagine if you added Police brutality to this story!
I mean...I don't think it's necessary to. What's been reported (and the nature of it having been reported, for crying out loud) is concerning as it is.

I'm glad they found the perps. I'm by no means a drone enthusiast but [censored plural adjective] like these give true enthusiasts a bad reputation.

So you're confused by the fact people that were trained, employed and under instructions to spot a drone were more likely to see a drone than people that were not?

So you're confused by the fact people that were trained, employed and under instructions to spot a drone were more likely to see a drone than people that were not?

Especially if those people patrol runways and taxiways or operate ATC towers.

Last edited:
I'm puzzled by a couple of things.
1) Dozens of employees and security types were ordered to see and report drones and so they did - AND at the same time even more people immediately outside the fence line were trying to see the same drones but couldn't. Not even one of them.
2) Not even one of the dozens of employees and security types who reported drones to their bosses have offered photos, videos or witness statements to the press.

Until I see the evidence, I am going to skeptically surmise that were no drones, but that the employees and security folks dutifully submitted reports exactly in accordance to their orders to do; they produced no photos or videos because there were no drones; out of embarrassment not one "witness" submitted himself or herself to the press. So until some shred of credible evidence comes forth, I call the whole thing a mummer's farce. Whatever motivated this strange play in two acts remains inscrutable for the moment.

Not buying the conspiracy theories. The idea that people were reporting non-existent drone sightings because that’s what their superiors wanted ignores something rather fundamental: NO ONE WANTED TO SEE DRONES. Millions of Euros were being lost by airlines on an hourly basis. They wanted the airport opened as soon as possible. If someone reported seeing a drone, that wasn’t good for anyone because it was bad for everyone.

I'm puzzled by a couple of things.
1) Dozens of employees and security types were ordered to see and report drones and so they did - AND at the same time even more people immediately outside the fence line were trying to see the same drones but couldn't. Not even one of them.
2) Not even one of the dozens of employees and security types who reported drones to their bosses have offered photos, videos or witness statements to the press.

Until I see the evidence, I am going to skeptically surmise that were no drones, but that the employees and security folks dutifully submitted reports exactly in accordance to their orders to do; they produced no photos or videos because there were no drones; out of embarrassment not one "witness" submitted himself or herself to the press. So until some shred of credible evidence comes forth, I call the whole thing a mummer's farce. Whatever motivated this strange play in two acts remains inscrutable for the moment.
:lol:

You think every organisation has to leak photos to the press for it to be valid?

Back