Gatwick airport closed by drone attack

I thought they did according to the link in the post below but maybe I'm wrong.
Later in this thread there were these messages and others.
The boss of the man in question has apparently said that he doesn't believe it could have been him, as he was working at the time of much of the disruption.

The couple arrested in connection with the drone incidents at Gatwick (and named in the UK press already) have been released without charge.

I’m assuming this is the couple whose name and face was put out there? Very shoddy indeed; too much of a risk that some will harass them online without ever realizing they were declared innocent.

If I were them I wouldn't be too happy with my face plastered over pretty much every newspaper today like a criminal. Did the Police literally look up who likes drones the most in the Gatwick area on Facebook and arrest whoever came top?! It has been a bit of a shoddy operation and yet more embarrassment for the authorities.

I would expect that the couple have a good case for suing the newspapers (notably The Sun and The Telegraph) who published their names and faces - it's completely unacceptable. Others, such as BBC News and Sky News didn't name them, but significantly did pitch up cameras outside their house - anyone with a bit too much time on their hands could locate their home using the images of their house and street... I reckon that is completely unacceptable as well, if not even worse than publishing their names.

The arrested couple have made a statement saying they feel completely violated and are now receiving medical care. Going to add yet more to the Police PR disaster, especially after the admission of a no drone possibility.

I thought they did according to the link in the post below but maybe I'm wrong.
There's a difference between perpetrators and suspects. That's why I said immediately after the detention:

I hope they've arrested the right people.

Too bad publications like the Sunday Express and the Mail On Sunday chose to treat habeas corpus as if it were a mere formality, instead of the fundamental basis of criminal law. For the innocent detainees those newspapers' editors are the morons who ruined their Christmas.

DvHNGrxWsAEPJZV.jpeg

Too bad they don't have the deep pockets of a Max Mosley or a Cliff Richard in order to secure legal redress against our gutter press.

Last edited:
TenEightyOne , UKMikey and polysmut sorry I missed those posts.
That's why releasing the names and photos of those two prematurely is so dangerous. People will hear they've been arrested, but miss that they've been released and cleared. Their lives are in very real danger from unhinged nutjobs who will think it's their duty to administer vigilante justice. (Not you, obviously.)

It's called the Mandela effect. There are thousands of people who believe Nelson Mandela died in prison, despite him being released and becoming President of South Africa. There are thousands of people who will tell you they remember seeing a movie from the 1990s called Shazam featuring Sinbad as a genie, even though there is no such movie. Now for the rest of their lives, this couple will have to deal with thousands of people who will always believe they used drones to shut down Gatwick for three days at Christmas time. The newspapers responsible need to pay dearly for their shoddy journalism, maybe even be put out of business like News of the World.

Gatwick-Airport-fiasco-Drone-Santa-Shot.jpg

A cartoon perfectly sums up the Gatwick Airport fiasco. It was posted by UK Paramedic Humour on Facebook and it shows one police officer saying to the other policeman holding a smoking rifle: “I don’t think that was a drone…” as the two are looking down on a Santa and his crashed sleigh and reindeer. In the background, you can see Gatwick Airport.

Gatwick Airport fiasco captured in cartoon
As of Monday evening (in England), it still has not been confirmed that a drone, in fact, was to blame for all the disruptions at the airport. No photos or videos have been made public that show the drone. There have been 67 sightings of a drone near or over the airport property between December 19 to 21.
https://dronedj.com/2018/12/24/gatwick-airport-fiasco-cartoon/

The Gatwick fiasco is the latest reminder that we're a great people governed by incompetents
22 DECEMBER 2018 • 8:00PM
TELEMMGLPICT000184146678_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfy2dmClwgbjjulYfPTELibA.jpeg

The army were called in after sightings of drones brought Gatwick airport to a standstill, causing havoc for tens of thousands of passengers. CREDIT: ISABEL INFANTES/PA
The most remarkable point about the news that the Army had been sent to Gatwick airport to try to stop drones invading its airspace was that we had enough of an Army available for the purpose. Not only, after the financial crisis of a decade ago on which so much comes to be blamed, did we choose to spend public money on overseas aid rather than on defending ourselves, but the Ministry of Defence is now so useless
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...-reminder-great-people-governed-incompetents/

Twitter mocks Gatwick drone fiasco – likening shambolic police probe to Hot Fuzz
After cops admitted yesterday there may have been NO drone at all, the public went online to make fun of the shambolic situation.

By Natasha Clark
24th December 2018, 12:07 pm
Updated: 24th December 2018, 12:10 pm
THE MYSTERY of the Gatwick drone which caused chaos for days has been mocked mercilessly by Brits on Twitter.

After cops admitted yesterday there may have been NO drone at all, the public went online to make fun of the shambolic situation.

Last edited:
It was posted by UK Paramedic Humour on Facebook
But originally drawn by Ben Jennings for "The I Paper", before being ripped off completely unreferenced by a Facebook page and then posted on a second site, still completely unreferenced, before a user of a third site, pushing the "no drone" conspiracy angle for no good reason (thanks to misunderstanding the police comments, one hopes not on purpose), posted it again with copy-pasted text without referencing either the text creator from the second site or the original image creator.

This video, taken by a passenger from inside the terminal, remains the best evidence I know of that there was a drone. Although I suppose its possible the image is a reflection, bird or insect.

Honestly I don't think there was a drone, and if there was it wouldn't be all that hard to have shut it down. There is a potential that perhaps what was seen was an unidentified object, which lately that area has had some major reports of. Whatever that is, who knows, but the UK isn't really a place to use a cover story to hide UFO sittings if in fact it was one, which at this point it might as well be.

Though I see that when such is suggested the piss is taken out of it because it is suggested.

Honestly I don't think there was a drone, and if there was it wouldn't be all that hard to have shut it down. There is a potential that perhaps what was seen was an unidentified object, which lately that area has had some major reports of. Whatever that is, who knows, but the UK isn't really a place to use a cover story to hide UFO sittings [sic] if in fact it was one, which at this point it might as well be.

Though I see that when such is suggested the piss is taken out of it because it is suggested.

Several welcome and astute observations. I will only add that in evolved human societies there seems to be a useful mental attitude that they shouldn’t be interested in what’s going on behind the official curtain.

Not a good look, Danoff. Windshields and jet engines don't fare too well after getting hit with one of these.

They're rated for bird strikes. Airliners get lots of reinforcement for impact that other aircraft do not get. I have no doubt that a drone, especially one with an explosive charge, could take out an engine, but a twin engine plane is required to be able to take off with one engine (in the US anyway).

a twin engine plane is required to be able to take off with one engine (in the US anyway).

That's the case in the UK too (and across most developed nations, as far as I'm aware). Still, an engine failure is either contained or it isn't and it can be hard to predict which until an incident occurs. I don't think pilots, passengers or insurers would accept an "it'll probably be okay" approach to engine failure incidents. The problem with climb-out engine failures is that the plane can't usually land until it's dumped some fuel. That increases the time in the air and, exponentially, the risk of secondary issues. Another question (raised here by @Famine iirc) regards the lithium-iron batteries. What do they do when wedged in an engine with lots of fuel lines and all that lovely oxygen getting rammed in?

I don't think pilots, passengers or insurers would accept an "it'll probably be okay" approach to engine failure incidents.

That's pretty much what you do when you fly (or drive). A bird strike can take out an engine on any takeoff. I understand that drones are a bit different, and one that you've seen at your airport is a bit more different still. But it's not a different type of risk. Maybe it's too much additional risk to take, I'm not necessarily saying that the airport did wrong by halting flights. But I'm saying that these planes are quite sturdy, and have redundant systems in case of engine failure. They're engineered to death, and have been for decades.

Edit:

Somehow I'm simultaneously arguing with the notion that flying is supposed to be risk free, and also arguing with the notion that planes are super fragile. Weird place to end up.

Somehow I'm simultaneously arguing with the notion that flying is supposed to be risk free, and also arguing with the notion that planes are super fragile. Weird place to end up.
True, but you're making good points. Passenger jets are engineered to be as sturdy as possible, but there's no need to subject them to any unnecessary risk by having them take off into a potential hazard like drones.

Planes are pretty damn strong, but they're just fragile enough that if something bad happens everybody dies. It's like an on-off switch. It either works beautifully, the most efficient system you've ever seen, or you die. 99.9% of the time it works beautifully.

But that's not a good excuse to lax on safety in any situation, ever. The only reason the system works so well is because people like me scrutinize everything that we and our peers are doing, we follow sensible rules so religiously that it becomes a lifestyle, and if anything seems out of the ordinary it gets reported for safety's sake. Every day I go up I do it with the assumption that this could be the last one, I've noted the risks, I understand every system, and due to the training required I can expect everybody else up there to have the same attitude. None of us are willing to compromise that and most of us are unsatisfied with the level of training and knowledge required for drone operators. I didn't spend years and a second college tuition learning to do something easier than driving on the highway just to have some asshole kid ruin everything by breaking the rules printed on the box of his new toy.

Although still unresolved, this damage on landing to an Aeromexico 737 was thought to be caused by a drone impact.

Planes are pretty damn strong, but they're just fragile enough that if something bad happens everybody dies. It's like an on-off switch. It either works beautifully, the most efficient system you've ever seen, or you die. 99.9% of the time it works beautifully.

Not quite...and considering the factor of safety on many aircraft especially those that are passenger aircraft, it'd take more than a drone to finish them off. There has been plenty of bad things to happen and people still survived, there is an entire FARs set of regulations to follow to help with these situation as well as protocol with each individual aircraft to ensure the safety of all.

But that's not a good excuse to lax on safety in any situation, ever. The only reason the system works so well is because people like me scrutinize everything that we and our peers are doing, we follow sensible rules so religiously that it becomes a lifestyle, and if anything seems out of the ordinary it gets reported for safety's sake. Every day I go up I do it with the assumption that this could be the last one, I've noted the risks, I understand every system, and due to the training required I can expect everybody else up there to have the same attitude. None of us are willing to compromise that and most of us are unsatisfied with the level of training and knowledge required for drone operators. I didn't spend years and a second college tuition learning to do something easier than driving on the highway just to have some asshole kid ruin everything by breaking the rules printed on the box of his new toy.

Lax on safety? We still don't know if a drone was ever there.

As an aircraft mechanic myself I will say this about that picture of the 737: Radomes are fragile. They are just strong enough to not cave in a high airspeed, and are only there for aerodynamics and to protect the radar from the elements. They are very thin honeycomb composite, fiberglass in specific, and have to be thin enough to not cause too much of a reflection on a radar. They ALWAYS get destroyed in a bird strike, and a drone would be as bad or worse depending on the size of the drone. And as strong as the windshields, engines, and other parts of the aircraft are, a large drone would hurt enough to cause a serious risk to leading edges, flaps (when deployed), and various less vital components.

Also, as an RC hobbyist, it is not difficult to jam or disrupt the signal from a drone, which usually operates at 2.4 Ghz, or if higher end, 5.2 Ghz. It also is incredibly easy to jam GPS if given a powerful enough transmitter (GPS signal is rather weak). So even if the drone doing bad acts via a pre-programed GPS route, it could still be taken down with just simple jamming. Granted, to jam a drone, you would still need to shut down air traffic as some aircraft navigation frequencies are close enough to be jammed if one were to fire up a jammer of some sort. Otherwise you could disrupt airport traffic even more, potentially causing far more damage than if the drone were to just hit an aircraft itself.

Not quite...and considering the factor of safety on many aircraft especially those that are passenger aircraft, it'd take more than a drone to finish them off.

There's a test video earlier in the thread of a small "toy" class drone hitting a Mooney wing. It causes serious damage to the spar. The scale isn't so different for an industrial drone (big clonking things) hitting a loaded 737 wing. A drone could quite easily finish that off, especially if it makes it into the tank.

Lax on safety? We still don't know if a drone was ever there.

There are over a hundred sightings and a report from the police that they used the Drone Dome system on one. But go sit with @Dotini at the Brave New Truth table if you like.

Most GA aircraft though are very lightly built, and have much thinner skin and spar structure than any larger turboprop or jet. The #1 spar for example on the ERJ-145's I work on is about 3/8 of an inch thick, and behind another 3/8" of leading edge materials. A commercial drone would need to be quite large to have a chance at causing any real structural damage to any airliner. Large as in large industrial hexacopter size (around 50-ish lbs). A drone of that size costs tens of thousands of dollars, and is not something your average troublemaker could afford. The wing structure of an airliner looks like something out of a building due to how beefy the materials are. Remember, wings and the wing box are often the strongest part of an airliner. That chance of any civilian drone actually penetrating that material and causing a fuel leak or catastrophic failure is extremely slim. Unless you run into a military drone or something lol..

A commercial drone would need to be quite large to have a chance at causing any real structural damage to any airliner. Large as in large industrial hexacopter size (around 50-ish lbs). A drone of that size costs tens of thousands of dollars, and is not something your average troublemaker could afford.

I'm pretty sure that 20kg to a leading edge at 140kts would be pretty significant, particularly if it hit deployed control surfaces. If a plane hit the equivalent bird (Kori Bustard, insert joke here) then the damage would be far less given the far greater rigidity of the drone. If the scenario is a targetted terror attack then money is little object and the 15kg of payload can be put to devastating use.

Source, please?

Oh bollocks, all the reports I've followed back to source come from The Mail or The Express, I don't trust either of those as a source. All I have is the report I posted earlier in this thread stating that police deployed the system and are now examining a damaged drone recovered from near the point of the last sighting.

Oh bollocks, all the reports I've followed back to source come from The Mail or The Express, I don't trust either of those as a source. All I have is the report I posted earlier in this thread stating that police deployed the system and are now examining a damaged drone recovered from near the point of the last sighting.
I've read on, I think it was the The Independent, that the fallen drone had unidentifiable fingerprints on it. Obviously it would be good to see images of the damaged drone and learn of its specifications, but Sussex police are apparently holding it secret. At this point, it's conceivable it was a little entry-level toy drone that had been smushed down in the weeds for weeks or months.

It's not really on-off like that. Planes can survive a lot of damage and still land or even complete a takeoff.

getasset.aspx

Although still unresolved, this damage on landing to an Aeromexico 737 was thought to be caused by a drone impact.

Looks like it landed.

I'm pretty sure that 20kg to a leading edge at 140kts would be pretty significant, particularly if it hit deployed control surfaces. If a plane hit the equivalent bird (Kori Bustard, insert joke here) then the damage would be far less given the far greater rigidity of the drone. If the scenario is a targetted terror attack then money is little object and the 15kg of payload can be put to devastating use.

I was talking about the primary structure of the wing, not secondary non-structural bits like flight controls or leading edge devices. Although, aircraft with fixed leading edges, the leading edge is structural. Obviously this is something that probably should be tested to greater extent, as there are not a ton of studies in the impact of common drones colliding with aircraft.

Back