General Fighting Games Thread

• Thread starter Laughss
  • 3,264 comments
I picked up Soul Caliber VI last week when it was the deal of the week on the PSN. Best fighting game this gen for me.

I picked up Soul Caliber VI last week when it was the deal of the week on the PSN. Best fighting game this gen for me.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it - it doesn't have the depth of Tekken IMO, but that's OK it's perfect for when I just have 15 minutes and can't really get into anything more time consuming.

I need to step up my oki in soul calibur. The mechanics have changed too much for me for enjoy it fully. T7 is a man's game.

Lol there's this video on YouTube showing the most dumbest characters created in SCVI. I had a laugh with that one. It's an advantage of the series over other fighting games. :lol:

Are you guys hyped for Evo? I am not lol, I lost interest in the scene and only want just to play people.

I am currently watching a Twitch stream of the new Samurai Shodon. The 3D look and feel looks very cool while having somewhat a 2D aesthetic. I'm intrigued about this new Samurai Shodon, honestly. The game even adopts the hashtag #EmbraceDeath . I don't think it is disrespectful to say this new SamSho is modern Street Fighter with weapons. It has that sort of look and feel, but this game still has the usual SamSho experience.

I am currently watching a Twitch stream of the new Samurai Shodon. The 3D look and feel looks very cool while having somewhat a 2D aesthetic. I'm intrigued about this new Samurai Shodon, honestly. The game even adopts the hashtag #EmbraceDeath . I don't think it is disrespectful to say this new SamSho is modern Street Fighter with weapons. It has that sort of look and feel, but this game still has the usual SamSho experience.

Samurai Showdown has been in the shadows since SF took the spotlight for years.

What are your thoughts about SamSho?
With all the fast pace fighters out now; I love how SamSho has kept to its roots of slow-paced, high risk and high reward gameplay. Unfortunately, I did not get the season pass due to it being only a PSN thing. Hopefully, SNK will release the season pass for free or have some plan to balance the high price just for an upgrade in graphics but same game mechanics game.

I'm so glad that it sounds like it's SamSho II in 2019, instead of the fast paced "why don't I just play KoF" that the series went off into after (and including) III.

EVO 2019 is going on right now with a handful of tournaments. Among some of the games streamed on Twitch are Dragon Ball FighterZ, Tekken 7, Street Fighter V, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate among others. Enjoy should you be watching!

It's really offputting that they keep framing the Street Fighter finals under the context of the countries that the contestants come from vs the countries that the others come from.

Edit: It's even worse in the Tekken tournament. It very nearly sounds like the implication is "Who could believe that someone from Pakistan could beat the powerhouses from Japan, Korea and Europe"

Last edited:
Edit: It's even worse in the Tekken tournament. It very nearly sounds like the implication is "Who could believe that someone from Pakistan could beat the powerhouses from Japan, Korea and Europe"
Actually, I happen to be on the other side of the coin as I know Arslan Ash's promoter personally. And there is one thing that you happen to learn very quickly with Lukus "Dark Gesse" Allen, if HE wants to make a statement, he will.

I missed playing Fight Night in my old PSP. For some reason, I still find it enjoyable, especially when I use legend heavyweight boxers such as Ali or Frazier to knock out the smaller guys from the lighter classes. While it seems to be unfair or cheating for some, I think it's epic and just do it for fun.

Right now on Twitch, I am watching someone stream "Granblue Fantasy: Versus". I like the high-resolution 2D anime style of the graphics. Interesting cutscenes for Hyper moves in it as well.

I saw a longplay of "Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring." It is a unique style 3D fighting game that kind of has elements of Tekken and Dead or Alive. It also has this sort of full range of motion deal along with being able to use items scattered in levels. I always knew Ehrgeiz as a game where you could play as Final Fantasy characters, especially FF7. It's an old game I probably wouldn't mind playing.

WWE meets King of Fighters? What a crossover! I saw that sort of thing when I was watching "Friday Night SmackDown!" last night. Of course, many of us thought it was mind-blowing to see X-Men crossover with Street Fighter and eventually Marvel vs. CAPCOM. Let's not forget CAPCOM vs. SNK either. I guess we still have to wait to see something like Rusev vs. Zangief ("Rusev Machka!") or Braun Strowman vs. either Hugo/Andore or [SF5] Abigail.

Big, serious allegations were coming regarding MrWizard (main organizer of EVO) and both players and game companies have pulled out of Evo Online, the replacement for Evo 2020 after it was cancelled due to the pandemic. And don't get me started on misconduct allegations between players that also blew up because of this...

Alot of people are like "let the fgc burn and rebuild it" but the FGC is filled with drama.

WWE meets King of Fighters? What a crossover! I saw that sort of thing when I was watching "Friday Night SmackDown!" last night. Of course, many of us thought it was mind-blowing to see X-Men crossover with Street Fighter and eventually Marvel vs. CAPCOM. Let's not forget CAPCOM vs. SNK either. I guess we still have to wait to see something like Rusev vs. Zangief ("Rusev Machka!") or Braun Strowman vs. either Hugo/Andore or [SF5] Abigail.
I remember seeing a custom RYU in some wrestling games.

No special stuff for me to say here, but... happy birthday, M.U.G.E.N.! Today (July 17) is the birthday of the popular PC fighting game engine. It has been around since 1999. People still make characters and stages for this game even today. You can even look around on Twitch for SaltyBet and SpriteClub to see MUGEN in action. I was trying to make my own fighters [based on Kung Fu Man], but I have kind of stopped development so far.

Anyhow... happy birthday, M.U.G.E.N.!

Right now on Twitch, there is a PS4 tournament for "BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle" on PlayStation's Twitch channel. The graphics look amazing and colorful. I have no BlazBlue series experience. I'm told, though, that BlazBlue is like Guilty Gear with time travel. Cool game! Surely one I'd try if I had the chance.

If there was another fighting game I'd want to try out, I seem intrigued with the old game "Urban Reign." Urban Reign seems to be an all-range fighter. Up to four can battle in this game. Since it's made by Namco, there are a few Tekken fighters in that game.

Final thing I want to make mention of is MUGEN. Checking past YouTube videos I've favorited or liked, I saw a video looking back on the legendary Dragon Claw by the late Reuben Kee. I have been trying to do 3D modeling in Blender. Dragon Claw was modeled using 3D Studio MAX. So I almost have interest in making a 3D fighter in Blender and then come up with a fairly decent 2D set. First order of business for me, though, is to simply create characters. I don't really have plans to try to develop a proper fighting game at this moment.

Blazblue Cross Tag is very colorful and easy ( the trend of 2d format now is : A= Low, B= High, C= Special and D = Tag) to play. It is very user friendly and has a variety of characters from Persona, Blazblue, Under Night in Birth, and RWBY series. The plot behind is just simple; a higher being thought it would be nice just to grab people and put them in a fight by telling them lies.

Here is what some people think:

162076707_3070913783192490_6359391860754052006_n.jpg

The FGC knew or some people within the FGC knew that it was coming. Some had a feeling that it started around 2012 but nevertheless, it is good to see "EVO" come back on the scene.

Last edited:
Earlier this year, I saw a long play of Fighting Layer. I heard about this game many times but never seen it in action. Pretty cool.

Fighting layer is underrated but its really good. I have been picking alot of Anime fighting games and Em fighting herds. Surprisingly, i am having fun in those games.

Last edited:
Back