General Fighting Games Thread

• Thread starter Laughss
  • 3,264 comments
I learned more about Fighting EX Layer recently. Reason why is because when I looked at "Fighting EX Layer," I noticed a bunch of characters I recall from the Street Fighter EX series, especially from when I used to play "Street Fighter EX3" long ago. I found it interesting how a lot of the past characters from the Street Fighter EX series are in "Fighting EX Layer." It seems rather sad not many of the Street Fighter EX series types stayed in games like SF4 or even SF5. However, it does seem nice they aren't entirely forgotten with this package. One I didn't notice according to the ones in Fighting EX Layer was Ace, whose moves you could customize in "Street Fighter EX3."

I do note this is called "Fighting EX Layer," but I have only seen a video of "Fighting Layer" to not know of any Fighting Layer characters in this game.

As for the game itself, it seems more like the game has the kind of formula implemented when "Street Fighter 4" came out. You know- full 3D with a 2D feel. All three Street Fighter EX games had an infinite playing field. Fighting EX Layer keeps everything in one area without an infinite playing field like a lot of early 3D fighting games.

Recently, I saw some long plays of a few digitized-type fighting games from the 1990s.

* First, I looked up Tattoo Assassins. My goodness, this game is atrocious-looking! It was another title trying to cash in on "Mortal Kombat" back then. I was familiar with a few of the characters from when I'd watch MUGEN streamed on SaltyBet on Twitch. Namely, the one I knew best was Karla, a figure skater in the game.

* At times, I saw in MUGEN streams of Dantel. He was the final boss of another game I looked up recently- Survival Arts. Survival Arts looked about as bad as Tattoo Assassins, and I could not find any real motivation to play it unless I was trying to be a fighting game historian or if I was a serious fighting game enthusiast.

* Even before finding videos of Tattoo Assassins and Survival Arts, I finally saw a long play of Shaq Fu, which many consider one of the worst fighting games ever made. Please note I am discussing the 1990s game and not the brawler from the previous decade. It was fairly brutal from what I've seen. Most importantly, I got to see the mechanics and everything of this game. If anything, it seemed like a good way to simply cash in on the likeness of Shaq. Shaq- can't make free throws, but can fight!

I recently been trying to get into developing characters for MUGEN. I don't want to use edits, as I am doing original characters. What I want to do is get a new scanner to be able to draw characters and then scan them onto my PC for further editing. Alternatively, I could consider getting a digital drawing tablet and try my luck using a program like Krita to design characters. So I am looking a lot into designing material. Once I get prototypes working, I then can look at how I can design special moves, combos, Super/Hyper moves, and the like.

Just tonight, I was introduced to "Infinite Versus." However, I heard this game didn't last very long at all. It was supposedly trying to be like a 3D MUGEN. But again- it didn't last long from what I recall.

I saw a little of "Guilty Gear: Strive" on Twitch. I have virtually no Guilty Gear experience, so I can't comment on how much things have changed. Guilty Gear is surely a visual masterpiece, as per usual. Be sure to have a look at "Guilty Gear: Strive" if you get a chance.

[UPDATE] Okay- Strive, not Strife. Changes made.

Last edited:
I saw a little of "Guilty Gear: Strife" on Twitch. I have virtually no Guilty Gear experience, so I can't comment on how much things have changed. Guilty Gear is surely a visual masterpiece, as per usual. Be sure to have a look at "Guilty Gear: Strife" if you get a chance.

Strive. :P

Guilty Gear is pretty damn good. Been playing the games since '04 (albeit not all of them) and they're combo and execution heavy. It doesn't really play like anything else because of things like Roman Cancels and Bursts. It's definitely a unique experience if you want to venture down its path. Strive, on the other hand, simplifies a lot of the previous mechanics. I do miss the craziness but I'll get used to it even more than I already am.

I just can't go back to the earlier games, because if I do I'll miss the craziness. :lol:

Breathes

ITS HERE ITS SOOOOO HYPE !!!! Though all the memes following the game are pretty funny and some of the mods are cool.

Over the weekend, I explored a little-known or forgotten fighting game series. Battle Arena Toshinden was a pretty good series of games. I mostly just wanted to watch the first Toshinden. Back in the mid-1990s, I recalled playing the demo of "Battle Arena Toshinden" a lot on kiosks at Blockbuster Video. The second game in the series equally entertaining. The third one, though, you kind of sense the series going in more of a bonkers way. Namely in the sense of bomb attacks and even the usage of certain super combos. When I saw Toshinden 4, I was bored, honestly. It was like they tried to merge Soul Calibur with Rival Schools or King of Fighters '98. It was slow-paced and boring. The only thing I didn't know about the Toshinden series is that it was made by Takara, which I know better for the Choro Q series of racing games. There were also some portable Toshinden games as well as some that were ported to PC (I believe...). Still, this was a fairly decent fighting game series.

On Tekken's official Twitch channel, I was watching the South Asian tournament. One of the matches I've seen was a hard-hitting fight between Bryan and Marduk. It was a bit funny the Marduk player from Pakistan was a 3rd Dan, going up against a Grand Master Bryan also from Pakistan. The Final was between a Bryan player and a Geese player. And I believe the one who played as Geese in the Final won the entire tournament. Since I don't have a decent PC or modern console, I haven't played Tekken 7 yet.

The South Asian Tekken tournament yesterday was quite good.

I was a bit curious about Josie Rizal in Tekken 7. Josie's the first-ever Filipino character in Tekken. From what I've seen, Josie is kind of like Christie but more of a pure striker and not so much acrobatic or dancer-like. Probably a character I would enjoy using if I played "Tekken 7."

Earlier today, to end this set of musings, I was watching Red Bull's Twitch channel as they shown the "Subway Showdown" with Street Fighter V. This Subway Showdown is a competition of the best Street Fighter players from all parts of New York City. I saw a few of the earlier matches.

I am oddly opinionated that josie is the first filipino character. I always thought it was Talim from SC.

I meant first Filipino fighter in Tekken. As much as I know.

Earlier tonight, I saw two longplays of the Power Stone series. Power Stone 1 was just fast-paced insanity. It had the sort of calamity Super Smash Bros. has. Only that Power Stone tries to combine a 3D fighter with almost a brawler style atmosphere. Power Stone 2, meanwhile, feels more like a party fighting game than any average fighter. There are even platforming mechanics. Both Power Stone games were pretty crazy! They basically are the best example of arena fighters. Only thing close to any kind of arena fighter I've played would probably be [the demo to] "Custom Robo" on the Gamecube.

1633658352464.png

I love Melty Blood and I was surprised that they had Saber as a guest character. I love how some of Saber colors are the alternative versions of her like Alt Saber and Saber Lily ( like above)

I saw a longplay of "Sonic the Fighters." While we would eventually, finally get Mario vs. Sonic in the Super Smash Bros. games, "Sonic the Fighters" was the first sampling of Sonic's fighting skills along with various other Sonic characters. Pretty wacky, but pretty fun as well. It kind of has a Fighting Vipers to it... only with cute Sonic characters.

I don't know if it is technically a fighting game, but there is a fighting game-like feel to a game in development called "Party Animals." It is so cute and fun! Kind of think "Gang Beasts," only with cuddly cute critters. It seems to be a quite fun game once/if it gets released.

[OMISSION] I forgot to mention "Party Animals" is a physics-based game.

Last edited:
I learned more about Fighting EX Layer recently. Reason why is because when I looked at "Fighting EX Layer," I noticed a bunch of characters I recall from the Street Fighter EX series, especially from when I used to play "Street Fighter EX3" long ago. I found it interesting how a lot of the past characters from the Street Fighter EX series are in "Fighting EX Layer." It seems rather sad not many of the Street Fighter EX series types stayed in games like SF4 or even SF5. However, it does seem nice they aren't entirely forgotten with this package. One I didn't notice according to the ones in Fighting EX Layer was Ace, whose moves you could customize in "Street Fighter EX3."

I do note this is called "Fighting EX Layer," but I have only seen a video of "Fighting Layer" to not know of any Fighting Layer characters in this game.

As for the game itself, it seems more like the game has the kind of formula implemented when "Street Fighter 4" came out. You know- full 3D with a 2D feel. All three Street Fighter EX games had an infinite playing field. Fighting EX Layer keeps everything in one area without an infinite playing field like a lot of early 3D fighting games.
The problem is sf ex was kinda licensed out i think the company is Akira so thats why in general u wont see them in a main sf series even some od the names of moves were changed in ex fighting layer

Curiously on Steam, I came across a game called "Mad Streets." This game is a physics-based brawler. Think of this game as "Gang Beasts" meets either "Super Smash Bros." or "Urban Reign." Instead of trying to knock opponents off the stage or into hazards, you're brawling against opponents. The fact it has little mini games outside of battle makes it an appealing game. It's surely a game I'd want to play if I had a decent PC or a modern console.

Curiously on Steam, I came across a game called "Mad Streets." This game is a physics-based brawler. Think of this game as "Gang Beasts" meets either "Super Smash Bros." or "Urban Reign." Instead of trying to knock opponents off the stage or into hazards, you're brawling against opponents. The fact it has little mini games outside of battle makes it an appealing game. It's surely a game I'd want to play if I had a decent PC or a modern console.
There are alot physic base brawlers now but that sounds fun.

MIKE ROSS IS BACK !!!!

Earlier this month, I had a chance to see "Virtua Fighter 3: Team Battle" in a video. I didn't know how the Team Battle aspect worked, but I did in one video. The deal works as a 3-person team. I was thinking it worked a bit like "King of Fighters: '98," but it is not the same. The fights work as one-on-one. When one fighter is defeated, the next person on that team goes up. It keeps on going until one team is fully defeated. I did play "Virtua Fighter 3" long ago in an arcade. I haven't played any home versions or anything.

Many people have already stated their thoughts on Street Fighter 6. By the look of things, it seems like this game is sort of an evolution of the Street Fighter series. Ryu and Chun Li are more legends now with a bunch of younger talent looking to step up to the plate. I am also reminded of the Street Fighter 3 series in regards to a stylistic, artistic style. Being STREET Fighter, it has an urban art appeal to Street Fighter 6. I am pretty intrigued about Street Fighter 6.

Or, you can see for yourself and judge for yourself. Check it:

I'm watching the Tekken World Tour action right now. Always cool to see these fighting competitions streamed.

EVO 2022 is going on right now. A handful of fighting games will be played. Enjoy if you'll be watching!

So I tend not to get hyped...but I might be slightly hyped at what just got teased...

Could Epic Games' "Rumbleverse" be the next fighting hit? While the recently-unveiled "Rumbleverse" may not be any traditional fighting game (it mostly has a wrestling feel), it is a Battle Royale-type game with an arena fighter feel. Think "Power Stone" series meets the "WWE 2K" games. Some are even saying "Rumbleverse" is a fighting version of "Fortnite." Then too, this game was made by the same company that made Fortnite.

From what I've seen in streams, "Rumbleverse" seems pretty fun! It is a wild Battle Royale game that has a fighting and brawler feel to it. I'm qualifying "Rumbleverse" as a fighter, though a lot of others may think otherwise.

Back