General Fighting Games Thread

• Thread starter Laughss
  • 3,264 comments

Tekken 8 is announced!

jotaro-kujo-yes.gif

I'm watching some Twitch streams of "Street Fighter 6." From what I've seen, it builds upon the likes of "Street Fighter V" (which I never played) and adds a lot more personality. A lot of the long-timers have aged. Ryu actually looks very awesome as an older, grizzly fighter compared to his younger days. Guile seems like he hit the gym harder than ever before. The combination of this more urban and youthful style gives SF6 quite the personality. I'd surely want to give this game a try if and when I get a chance to.

[OMISSION] "Street Fighter 6" is currently in Closed Beta, I believe. So we'll know more about this game well before the game's final version is released and sold. I still think the character of SF6 so far is that the legends will pass on to let younger talent get their shine on. SF6 seems more youthful and creative. This game has maybe the most character and personality infused into any Street Fighter game since Street Fighter 3.

Last edited:
The latest trailers I've seen for Street Fighter 6 and Tekken 8 will make up this post.

First, let me talk "Street Fighter 6." I have not played Street Fighter 5 at all, but I think SF6 is turning out to have the biggest dosage of personality since "Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike." I actually like the direction SF6 is going with the Street Fighter series. You can design your own avatars in the game, but being able to be taught and such by Street Fighter personalities is great. I also like the edgier, urban, youthful style "Street Fighter 6" has to offer. On top of that, some of the returning characters look great, if older.

The September 2022 video of "Tekken 8" looks promising. I still never played Tekken 4 or Tekken 7, being stuck in the PS3 era. All I've seen was the epic encounter of Jin and Kazuya. I'm curious as to how many of the other Tekken personalities will fare in Tekken 8. Maybe also we could get some new characters to join the King of Iron Fist Tournament formerly known long ago as "Rave War."

Rather exciting times of late for some fighting games.

Oh darn, you beat me to it.

Anyway, I love the Tekken 8 trailer. Why? Because they FINALLY brought back my favourite character, Jun Kazama! She looks wonderful!

Nina Williams is here! She looks wonderful! She still has some of her moves that I recognized such as reverse Ivory Cutter, Shut Up, jabs and throws, etc. I like that now she can use guns for combos!

Last edited:

Just looking the new rage Arts (Even though they probably won't be reffered to as that when the game comes out):

• Nina is the master of Gunkata (Refer to this movie to get the silly joke I am making)
  • Kazuya has the most Anime antagonist finisher ever, which is ended by a freaking Genocide Cutter
  • Jin has become the embodiment for the Tekken name: The Iron Fist

Jokey observations aside, I really love that they are adding abit more flash to the characters. It always felt weird that in a series where we literally have bears and Kangaroos and people with powers from the literal Devil (Or least their spin on said Devil) fighting each other, only a few characters had actual flash of some kind in their moves. The way its done here is really cool, there is far more personality in these movesets that frankly haven't been largely changed since Tekken 5 when you think about it and, along with the mostly amazing costume redesigns, have really breathed new life into the series visually. As not bad as Tekken 7 looked, This has managed to eclipse it already. Seeing two of my favorite characters getting such treatment is really cool, even if I may have to do abit of relearning with one of them (which is fine considering it means I get abit of what I enjoyed from Tekken 3 back but in a cooler, sleeker package). Biggest unknown for me is this new heat system, I barely was able to really grasp the Rage drive stuff (Granted I'm a filthy casual so don't expect Sonic Fox or even OG Justin Wong level gameplay from me) so this is going to be a period of an adjustment.

Last edited:

So I have fallen massively behind posting these here, but here are the other characters. My thoughts as follows (Warning, large bits of texts incoming):

Paul Phoenix: For the most part (Apart from his hair), Paul has largely been not all the memorable and his move set is one of several that really didn't change. His costume likewise also hasn't had much of a change either since T5. Here, they've done a spectacular job in actually doing things to freshen up his move set up (And abit of trash talking doesn't hurt either). While his costume might be abit..divisive (First time since 4 that his default doesn't include that iconic hair cut), he's got some interesting stuff that actually changes things up abit. One thing I lov e with his finisher though is how his sleeve rips away to emphasis how much power he is channeling into that punch, its very Protagonist esque stuff but it works so well. And he just looks so damn happy, living his best life.

Marshall Law: Again another case where his moveset and costume (Save for odd color changes), has largely been unchanged since T5. I've basically been able to pick him up and do much of the same heavy damage combos I was able to do back in T5. Apart from a few tweaks, he's basically remained the same (With only a move or two having some sort of flair) and apart from his look and battle cries, not much Bruce Lee stuff. However here, they REALLY leaned into the Bruce Lee stuff (Perhaps inspired by what NRS did with Some of Liu Kang's Stuff in MK11, including one of his fatalites?). The visuals, the expressions, the Flexing with the veins popping out (Which is slightly disturbing to see in motion because its THAT detailed, UNREAL even). His move set likewise gets a bunch of nice changes in personality as well as takes quite abit from Bruce Lee, including his finisher (Which I straight away recognized from "Enter The Dragon"). Pretty cool glow up, even if the uncanny valley starts to creep in just abit the first time you take all that in.

King: As a former Wrasslin' fan, King was always a cool character to me. Even I have to admit though that for one of a few characters that had a flashy moveset (because as a wrestler, the best way to sell is to oversell. Its the rule), he kind hasn't had a big shakeup (and Armor King's inclusion in Tekken 7 only reenforced how kinda needed a shakeup was for him). Well they've done that and boy, did they do that. In a similar vain to Law going full Bruce Lee, they likewise really went to town with the Wrestling aesthetic and added alot of much needed showmanship in King, stuff that you only previously saw in any cinematic or his intro or win poses but never in his moves. He's also gotten some very reconizable wrestling moves like the Pedigree and the RKO. The way they also have him take a hit too and come back with some serious damge infliction in heat mode is nutty as well. One cool thing though that really got me was in his finisher, it ends in the old hold he used to have in his moveset (Something I was recently really reminded of thanks to this video). They managed to make him a PPV seller and I love it, its exactly the sort of refresh he's been overdue for.

Lars Alexandersson: Since his debut in Tekken 6, the only thing identifiable with Lars is the fact he had one of the more flashier move sets of the roster (Which had many people who hated him because of how "Anime" he was, which is funny considering his blood relatives have one of THE most "Anime" storylines ever conceived in a Fighting Game..In addition to having a damn Bear, a sentient training dummy, a Kangaroo, a Raptor and the previously mentioned Wrestler with a Jaguar mask that literally roars yet everyone understands for some reason, but somehow that's all normal in comparison to Lars. Ok..). I think another big problem with him was the fact that despite the twist in T6 that reveals he is Heihachi's son (Mostly for Heihachi to prove that he is in fact not the one that gave Kazuya the Devil Gene), Lars never had any true Mishima traits sans having funky hair along with an unhuman ability to evade things and the ability to backhand a damn missile (Something Heihachi would also do in the story of Tekken 7). From what I've seeing, not only did they seemingly decided to up the ante in his "Anime" moves (Including that dive Kick) but they even gave him far more electrics then any Mishima has had (Seemingly to the point where that is HIS main power). Even his finisher, which appears to be a reference to his appearance in Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 (Remember this funky Costume from Tekken 6?), heavily draws on this newly fleshed out element of his character. It gets a massive thumbs up for me, even if it means there's more wackiness I need to take in when learning him.

Jack-8: Lets be honest here: Jack has been the poster child for a character at best has been abit generic. Sure P.Jack was a cool (if abit Jank, which is par the course for a Prototype) and Gun Jack was a massive visual change (Still unsure how to feel about it honestly) but after Tekken 5, he was just the same both moveset wise and costume wise (where the literal only change was "Oh look, he has glowy green bits now"). I myself found Jack just uninteresting to use or look at so customization was the only thing that kept him remotely worth playing just so I could spam the same launchers and attacks (that's how much he kinda bored me). Gotta say though, they managed to make him waaaay more interesting now both in his moves (which actually look like they are worth trying to learn) and his redesign, which is both strange but also finally different (Though I'm unsure how to feel about that Visor lift in his win pose, that stare felt like it burrowed into my soul). Feels also like there's bits of Zangief in there as well, which isn't a bad thing considering he's always had Bodybuilder poses so who better to barrow from then an actual bodybuilder/wrestler. That finisher though, I was not expecting them to actually have him use the railgun he flies in with but I am absolutely fine with it. They've managed to make a generic character actually interesting to watch and try to learn, very interested in actually putting in some time to figure out his stuff.

Jun Kazama: And finally, the character I pretty much predicted would be saved for last. Seeing as she hasn't been in a mainline title since T2 and not a game period since TTT2, all of which were years ago (and I feel that walking cane materializing just remembering all that), this makes for an interesting opportunity to give a freshened take on her. That interaction with Kazuya is interesting too as it more or less confirms that something people believed for years has never been true: Jun wasn't dead, she was missing. We've already seen her design in the story trailer so not much to say other then its her best (and dare I say regal even) design yet. I like that they kept the black & white aesthetic from TTT2 but expanded upon it and made it more thematic to here power. As for her Moveset, they've stuck with what she had from TTT2 but like with her costume they've fleshed it out with some interesting stuff. Might just be me, but I swear I might've seen some of her attacks have those ravens (which is another nice visual callback to TTT2, possibly even barrowing just a tiny bit from Unknown). Surprisingly her finisher, much like her son Jin, is something we already saw in a previous trailer so it seems the Kazamas are keeping their finisher simple (which is pretty much in character with both honestly).

All in all, I just keep getting more hype for this game and that reason to get a PS5 just continues to get stronger and stronger (Almost as strong as the noise my PS4 generates the longer it stays on :lol: )

Gee, I wonder what makes you say that :lol:
Because she's such a joke character since Tekken 5. All of that potential she had has gone to waste for that stupid rivalry with Lili. It's not wonder why I dislike her so much. And as for her design in Tekken 8, it's absolute rubbish, so lame.

Why is her design so awful? In tekken 3 they started with the whole school uniforms. And now it is Asuka who has a school outfit. Can’t say it has anything dislikeable.

She is defenitely not my favorite character, but to each his own.

Graphics look awesome though.

Because she's such a joke character since Tekken 5. All of that potential she had has gone to waste for that stupid rivalry with Lili. It's not wonder why I dislike her so much. And as for her design in Tekken 8, it's absolute rubbish, so lame.
And what exactly was that potential? Do you hate her because she is the polar opposite of Jun in terms of personality?

And what exactly was that potential? Do you hate her because she is the polar opposite of Jun in terms of personality?
That's not what I meant. What I mean is that Asuka was a very interesting character when she was introduced in Tekken 5. Her ending showed that she has this "Kazama power" or whatever she has. This gave her potential to explore more of her character and that she's related to Jin and Jun. I liked Asuka alot in Tekken 5.

But of course, Namco decided to discard that potential in favour of bringing Lili in and call it a day. Even her Tekken 8 bio shows that Lili is tormenting her. She's nothing more but a joke and it's really sad for what she has become.

So, thoughts on these past 5 Fighters:

Ling Xiaoyu: Interestingly, Xiaoyu is one of the few characters that's had some sort of evolution or change for her costume each game. Sometimes huge and sometimes subtle, with her Tekken 7 costume seeming to be the most "Grown up" Looking of all her defaults (Which has me wondering if that was the intent in her costume changes and tweaks). Her moveset however hasn't quite grown up with her with it pretty much remaining largely the same since Tekken 5 really. That seems to be clearly changing here and its pretty intriging. Going against good Xiaoyu players just always looked intimidating as hell and I see it only about to be even more so with the treatment her moveset has been given. As for the costume, first time we're seeing sleeves via this new jacket but the color palette is a massive departure from what is traditionally her bright and bubbly colors. Far more black is present than any previous costume with the bright Yellow taking on more of an accent as opposed to being the base color. I wonder if again, there is a interesting character based reason for this. Another intriguing thing to note is after going missing in 7 on her default for the first time in series history, her little wrist..things have returned.

Leeroy Smith: Kinda shocked at how soon he got revealed but with how really popular he was as a new character, it makes sense. Felt like his moveset and tools were pretty damn good in 7 so to see them improve those more is really impressive. I don't necessarily see him returning to the absolutely overpowering state that he was when he was first introduced (Especially when the whole roster is getting some major tweaks), but I can see him remaining a top tier character.

Asuka Kazama: As a Character introduced in Tekken 5, She hasn't really changed all that much since...well, Tekken 5. Same moves, same combos, maybe some tweaks here or there in 7 (Though that's what many got to be fair in later updates). And then costume wise, Again mostly the same. Sure Tekken 7 had a different default and it wasn't just largely a recolor like Paul, but it didn't like that big a change. Obviously now, that changes on both counts. Her move set is no longer just a hand me down of Jun Kazama's moves from Tekken 2, but there is now additional flair where it actually becomes her own (an increasing theme that I am liking with characters that pretty much have movesets from someone else). Costume wise, I don't see a problem. I'm not sure where they were going with the design but at the same time, its not yet another mildy modifed refresh for effectively the same costume. All in all, intriguing changes all around.

Lili Rochefort: Another case of a character that simply hasn't much of a change in..anything (which is odd considering she's the daughter of a wealthy man, surely new clothes is far easier for her to attain then any of us financially challenged plebs). 7 is the first game she actually had a new outfit since her addition in T5 Dark Resurrection, but it seems like Frilly dresses is pretty much her aesthetic and this doesn't hugely change with her costume in T8 (Although somehow despite not having sleeves, its even more...posh?). As for her moveset, its definitely had some equally fitting elegant flair added to it. Many of her moves certainly feel faster to execute (Though that one kick still feels like the startup time is still too long). Would also like to point out that while Leeroy has a dog named Sugar, Lili has a Cat named Salt. Someone had to have known what they were doing :lol:

Hwoarang: And finally, the latest character to be revealed. Much like alot of the stalwart characters, not alot of change since Tekken 5 costume wise or moveset wise. 7 was kinda something, but it just felt more like a slight tweak then a meaningful change. Obviously, this is not the case in 8. Costume wise, simple but effective and makes him feel like a more mature and focused fighter. His moveset seems to receive a similar treatment with his kicks seeming to have much more weight and unless I am seeing things, I might have spotted some of Baek doo San's old moves (which sounds to me like he's really becoming more like his old master). I always did find him fun to use so I look forward to picking him up for this game.

Last edited:
Great to see Lili in Tekken 8! She looks stunning. As for Hwoarang, I bloody hate him.

Her move set is no longer just a hand me down of Jun Kazama's moves from Tekken 2, but there is now additional flair where it actually becomes her own.
Asuka's moveset is still Jun's old moveset from Tekken 2, but she has her own moves to differentiate her from Jun, as Asuka is more aggresive while Jun is defensive. They both share moves such as f, f+1, 1+4, 2, 1, b+4, 3+4, etc....

Well, it's a reboot. Again. Confirmed characters are Liu Kang, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Shang Tsung (LOL, DLC again) and the most beloved/hated character who is also my favourite, Mileena.

Great to see Lili in Tekken 8! She looks stunning. As for Hwoarang, I bloody hate him.

Ok, what exactly is your problem with Hwoarang?
Asuka's moveset is still Jun's old moveset from Tekken 2, but she has her own moves to differentiate her from Jun, as Asuka is more aggresive while Jun is defensive. They both share moves such as f, f+1, 1+4, 2, 1, b+4, 3+4, etc....

I didn't say it wasn't, I simply pointed out there is more flair in her moves to make it more her own (a common theme with the characters in Tekken 8).

Well, it's a reboot. Again. Confirmed characters are Liu Kang, Raiden, Kung Lao, Kitana, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, Shang Tsung (LOL, DLC again) and the most beloved/hated character who is also my favourite, Mileena.

I figured it was basically following the story mode conclusion from MK11 (You don't just put together a story mode expansion without basically confirming said direction for the next game). Unsurprisingly, the majority of stalwarts are back (Why the hell wouldn't they be). Why Shang Tsung is again DLC, I'm guessing they have brought back Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa again and he wasn't cheap.

Last edited:
Ok, what exactly is your problem with Hwoarang?
Let's say everything. But mostly, his moveset. He's extremely annoying to fight against. But due to Tekken 8's Heat System, he's going to be an absolute menace. So in general, I dislike Hwoarang alot since Tekken 3. He has that face that is screaming for a punch.

Let's say everything. But mostly, his moveset. He's extremely annoying to fight against. But due to Tekken 8's Heat System, he's going to be an absolute menace. So in general, I dislike Hwoarang alot since Tekken 3. He has that face that is screaming for a punch.
I didn't know people disliked him. He was one of my favorites for a long time. But you're right he was hard to fight against especially when you fought someone who really had his moves down

Technically already seen but just due to the sheer awful thumbnail alone, I'm glad I only saw the official one:

Also, damn those eyes are seering into my soul.

Last edited:
Street Fighter 6 is HEEEEEREEE! I don't think I have ever been more intrigued for a Street Fighter game until now. It's been since the Street Fighter 3 series that this franchise last had a real shot of personality and charm. SF4 and SF5 (which I haven't played) had their own charm. However, it's something to SF6 that makes it seem like either a generational leap or a quantum leap. Had I a system to play SF6, I'd lovingly play through this game and get indulged into it.

Back