General GTPSP Question

• Thread starter mamrhein
  • 19 comments
It's not bad. But not brilliant.

Graphics are between GT2 and GT3, approximately GT2.75. Sounds are good, diverse car selection and some good tracks on offer.

But, negatives for me; no career mode. You win money in arcade mode or licence tests and buy cars. That's it. There's also only 3 AI cars, which I find to be quite boring.

I don't have access to my PS3 at the moment, so I'm playing GTPSP heavily and it is a good game, regardless of it's simplicity. If you've got a PSP, it's worth getting.

It has a greater variety of tracks than GT5. I use it when I am having GT withdrawls and am away from my PS2/PS3. If you have a PSP and like GT, you should have it.

It is a good game but not brilliant. If you have a PSP and looking for good racing games, I don't see any reason why you shouldn't have it. Other PSP racing games are just pure arcade stuff. Other than GTPSP you should try TOCA or Colin Mcrae.

Gran Turismo for PSP is a good game, but not really the best one for the portable. Like the others have said, it lacks a Career mode, which is what most players play for. The gameplay also gets quite repetitive if you want to earn money to buy cars.

But apart from its shortcomings, you'd really want to play the game for the driving itself. The game offers a nice driving experience and with the huge variety of cars, it's actually fun to spot how one car feels different from the others and all.

But apart from its shortcomings, you'd really want to play the game for the driving itself. The game offers a nice driving experience and with the huge variety of cars, it's actually fun to spot how one car feels different from the others and all.

This is definitely true.

I've just had an epic race around Suzuka in an yellow Evo III Lancer. (An homage to the AI car from GT1 of course).

It was excellent.

Honestly speaking, I can't find any other game on the PSP that feels as great as this. Driving around real-life and the all-time favorite tracks of Gran Turismo is such a pleasure in this version, PD seriously needs to step up if they're ever gonna make a Vita version.

Honestly speaking, I can't find any other game on the PSP that feels as great as this. Driving around real-life and the all-time favorite tracks of Gran Turismo is such a pleasure in this version, PD seriously needs to step up if they're ever gonna make a Vita version.

The 'TOCA/Race Driver/V8 Supercars' series is pretty good. It was the best PSP racing simulation game(s) before Gran Turismo came out. The graphics are better in Gran Turismo, but TOCA can have nearly two dozen cars on the track at the same time (versus GT PSP's four cars per race). The physics model is better in GTPSP, but TOCA's physics aren't bad at all. Plus, TOCA has mechanical damage, so not slamming into other cars/barriers is really important. There isn't any 'rubberbanding' like you see in GT PSP. So if you pull ahead in some of the easier races, you don't see the AI cars magically catch up. That means that the easy races can be a bit boring in the early part of the game, but it also means that the difficulty is more realistic (and challenging) later on. TOCA also has a really great selection of some of the world's best tracks like Bathurst, Kylami, Hockheimring, A1 Ring (now known as Red Bull Ring), Road America, etc.

Both are good for different reasons. I play GT PSP a LOT more for obvious 'hosting' reasons... though both have their good points!

I have had every gran turismo game and played extensively, i played this for 2 races and didnt go near it again, firstly i was bored because the al is terrible secondly no career mode so there was no point to the game for me.

I play my games when im on the bus to work and generally play more arcade like games like burnout and need for speed which i think are much better, well for me they are a lot more fun anyway

I started playin GTPSP all over again on my psv and realised how good this game is. Sure, its not everybody's cup of tea, but it's by far the best lookin racer with the most realistic handling on the psp. I love it. Here's hoping for GTPSV.

I also re-started GT psp on the Vita again. Agreed, when you come from Wipeout 2048 to GTpsp, the graphics are 2 steps back. On the plus side, GTpsp on vita rocks with the great analogue stick. Graphics are still not bad and the physics are really deep if you choose professional mode.

And.... last night I managed to nail the Toyota GT1 vs Mercedes challenge on Twin Ring Motegi. I took me 45 minutes and many dozens of retries. Still less than in 2009 :)

Well, it's true that GT PSP lacks a lot of things like Career mode, smart/pro AI, etc. In my opinion, PD did not aim for career mode or anything like that, I think that PD made this as a car collection theme of game. But that was just my opinion. I just finished collecting all the cars in all of their colors available at 800 days, just need to get gold on all the challenges and rank S on all the tracks in single player. *sigh*

GTPSP Is like a mix with GT4 and GT5 when it comes to cars/tracks (ex. Enzo in Test Course) all thought the quallity is bad yes but it's because It has lots of contents...

A lot of people have mentioned the lack of career mode as a bad thing but I personally didn't miss it and wish that GT5 had a similar mechanic. The problem with career mode is that it limits which cars are useful to you at any given time. Say you buy a 1960s honda for a specific race there may not be another race you can use it in. In contrast GT PSP games makes sure that you can use any car in your garage at any time because whatever you pick you will get similar cars to compete against. I agree with noobdrifter821 that this encourages you to collect cars and then enjoy driving them.

Of course for those days I couldn't decide what to drive I made a random campaign generator:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=124125

A lot of people have mentioned the lack of career mode as a bad thing but I personally didn't miss it and wish that GT5 had a similar mechanic. The problem with career mode is that it limits which cars are useful to you at any given time. Say you buy a 1960s honda for a specific race there may not be another race you can use it in. In contrast GT PSP games makes sure that you can use any car in your garage at any time because whatever you pick you will get similar cars to compete against. I agree with noobdrifter821 that this encourages you to collect cars and then enjoy driving them.

Of course for those days I couldn't decide what to drive I made a random campaign generator:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=124125

I agree with you that career modes like in GT5 are heavily overrated. A similare problem has happened to Wipeout 2048 on the Vita. It has only a very restrictive career mode. No free races whatsoever. It takes away the freedom that I want.

It's not bad. But not brilliant.

Graphics are between GT2 and GT3, approximately GT2.75. Sounds are good, diverse car selection and some good tracks on offer.

But, negatives for me; no career mode. You win money in arcade mode or licence tests and buy cars. That's it. There's also only 3 AI cars, which I find to be quite boring.

I don't have access to my PS3 at the moment, so I'm playing GTPSP heavily and it is a good game, regardless of it's simplicity. If you've got a PSP, it's worth getting.

Between GT2 and GT3? Seriously when's the last time you played GT3? And have you EVER played GT PSP on an HDTV with component cables?

The graphics aren't even close man. I just did a comparison the other day. GT PSP blows GT3 away easily. The graphics are so much clearer and more detailed. Even blown up on a big TV it looks so much better, and actually it competes with rfactor. Looks better than some mods in rfactor actually.

The whole career mode complaint is kind of lame at this point. It's a mobile game. Unless you're sitting at home all day playing a PSP, I don't see why you would want a career mode.

You have driving challenge, none of which are easy to get gold. You have over 800 cars to collect, and you have to win at least 8 races at each of the 72 tracks and layouts in order to unlock all difficulty levels.

Not to mention the physics are out of this world for a PSP title. they could even be better than GT5p. It was made after GT5p and has some of the best and least forgiving physics in a GT game. It's more realistic than GT4 at the very least.

The only reason GT PSP "isn't brilliant" is because of the console. If the PSP had a right analog for progressive throttle and brake instead of button tapping. Otherwise it's a great game, and the best game on PSP if you're a GT fan.

^ adding to this, I mostly play at home with GTpsp on my Vita. It is the best racing game no a handheld.

Latest Posts

Back