General Headphone Thread

Has anybody here used a Skullcandy headphones? If yes, what's the best model that they have? I'm planning to buy one for myself in the future. TIA.

Has anybody here used a Skullcandy headphones? If yes, what's the best model that they have? I'm planning to buy one for myself in the future. TIA.
Not these!
TB
Some Skullcandy pieces of 🤬 my wife picked up for the kids. They are truly terrible.

I want a very good PC gaming headphone but I don't anything about these headphones.

Nice, a headphone thread! Not a big audiophile, or at least I don't have enough experience to recognize with precision the sound signature of each pair.

As of now, I own to pairs of ear buds and two pairs of headphones:

- Skullcandy Jibs: good enough for a cheap "disposable" pair.
- KZ BTE bluetooh earbuds: They weren't that expensive and I've heard good things about their quality. They definately sound more balanced across the spectrum than the Jibs, that can get a bit bass heavy, but the microphone is absolute ass.
- AKG Y40: Portable on hear that are bass heavy and a bit mushy on the mid range. I'm looking for a replacement for these in a near future.
-Hyper-X Cloud Stinger: Gaming headphones. The absolute best sounding cans that I own. Unfortunately the mic is busted because the split jack adapter short circuited the mic.

Don't do it. What's your budget? I guarantee you can find something much better for the same price or cheaper.

I want a very good PC gaming headphone but I don't anything about these headphones.

What are you looking for in particular? Does it need to have a mic?

My brother has the Crushers and likes them. I thought about buying them but didn't. My Skullcandy experience has been very hit or miss. Pairs I've owned either worked for years or died in 3-6 months with no in between.

Don't do it. What's your budget? I guarantee you can find something much better for the same price or cheaper.

What are you looking for in particular? Does it need to have a mic?
A headphone for race games. It doesn't need a microphone. No wireless, easy to adjust the volume. Maybe surround sound but I don't know if this is necessary with race sims.

A headphone for race games. It doesn't need a microphone. No wireless, easy to adjust the volume. Maybe surround sound but I don't know if this is necessary with race sims.

Superlux HD668B or the HyperX Cloud (they're all based on Takstar Pro80 or 82).

I'm using wireless Razer Man o War. I'm no audiophile but the sound quality is a vast improvement over the Sony Golds I was using
Chose these because they are compatible with PS (kind of) and PC where I'm moving eventually

My collection isn't that large or varied...

2x Koss The Plug, one pair from somewhere around 2003 and the other from around 2010 - for some odd reason the old ones sound noticably better. Both fitted with Shure silicon "Christmas tree" ear parts.
1x Koss KEB/24, no idea why I originally bought these. Quite average but also cheap enough to not warrant any complaints. Fitted with the ear parts from a pair of headphones that came with one of my phones, they were a straight swap and improved these a lot.
2x Koss Porta Pro, one from 2006 and one from 2013, just about everyone has at least one pair of these. And for a reason. Unlike the Plugs, the new version sounds very slightly better. The main reason I bought another pair was the extremely '80s looks of the original, all black was a lot more suitable to an office job.
1x Sennheiser PX 100-II, as good as the Porta Pro is for its price class, this one is better still. Some people tend to hate them with a passion, no idea why, they withstood nearly five years of almost daily use which only came to an end because I don't need to isolate myself from the terribly noisy office anymore. As a bonus feature they can be fitted with the Porta Pro earpads which are easily available unlike the originals.

Oh well. What about the Blaupunkt brand? Are their headphones good?

Careful. Blaupunkt used to be the last word in car audio systems. Unfortunately a long period of takeovers, company sales, and bankruptcies have left Blaupunkt as pretty much nothing more than a managed brand name.

This means you may well find the name on rubbish these days. I'm not saying they are rubbish, but when I see old top tier brand names litter the supermarket aisles then the alarm bells start ringing.

Hyper X Cloud Alpha are my current ones, very comfy and great sound, just wish they were wireless.

Careful. Blaupunkt used to be the last word in car audio systems. Unfortunately a long period of takeovers, company sales, and bankruptcies have left Blaupunkt as pretty much nothing more than a managed brand name.

This means you may well find the name on rubbish these days. I'm not saying they are rubbish, but when I see old top tier brand names litter the supermarket aisles then the alarm bells start ringing.
Oh my. :eek::eek::eek:

Yeah, exactly.

You haven't given us a budget, but in my experience there are 2 brands of headphones that you can easily buy off the shelf relatively cheaply that'll be OK and do the job competently - Sony and Sennheiser.

Out of the 2 I'd go Sony, but that's mainly because I prefer the Sony "house sound" so to say, and that I picked up some Sony in-ears (MDR-EX450AP) for around $50 which apart from a lack of refinement in the treble sounded more like they'd cost $200.

Yeah, exactly.

You haven't given us a budget, but in my experience there are 2 brands of headphones that you can easily buy off the shelf relatively cheaply that'll be OK and do the job competently - Sony and Sennheiser.

Out of the 2 I'd go Sony, but that's mainly because I prefer the Sony "house sound" so to say, and that I picked up some Sony in-ears (MDR-EX450AP) for around $50 which apart from a lack of refinement in the treble sounded more like they'd cost $200.
Oh yes, I forgot. I want something good for around $50 first but I can push it to $100 if I'm able to earn more for it.

So, I bought a set of £15 JVC in ear headphones from Tesco as sacrificial items for use at work a couple of months back...

.. all things considered they've become possibly the second or third best headphones I've ever bought. My old Sennheiser Precisions are soldiering on for desktop use, but for everything else I'm using the JVC's... that is something I never ever thought I'd say!

AudioTechnica AT-M50x or something like that? Well whatever they were about £150+

Also fun fact I have never liked beats design even when I was younger and just thought it looked stupid rather than “trendy” etc

@GTV0819 If you're looking for the best set of headphones for under $100, get these. ($80) They'll give you excellent sound quality and will shame many much more expensive headphones in that regard. I've had my pair for about 5 years now and they're still going strong. Their main disadvantage is that they're not all that compact, and the cord makes them a bit tricky to use while walking, but it's worth the trade-off for better durability and better sound quality, so much so that they're basically industry standard in the audio industry. The only other downside is that you'll probably have a hard time listening to lower quality audio files since you will notice all the flaws and flat bits due to the compression or poor recording.

Also, they've been featured in a couple of well known films which I think is kind of cool. Odds are they just borrowed whatever the sound guys were using but that's just a guess.
Hunt for Red October (0:28)
Pitch Perfect (1:13)

I picked up an ASUS Cerberus V2 a month ago for ¥6,800 which is about $60, really nice sound quality for playing games but the detachable mic isn't anything to write home about, even the standard PS4 earpiece mic beats the Cerberus' handily.

I wonder though, is it possible to get a much better plug-in mic to use for these kinds of headset or will there be no difference?

I'm looking to get new gaming headphones for PS4 and the natural upgrade to my Turtle Beach PX22 would be their Stealth 700. It just went down from 150 to 120 so I'm really considering it now. Is there anything better at that price that also has mic monitoring and individual volume controls? Those are a must have for me

Avoid Skullcandy and Beats. Stick with reputable brands such as Sennheiser, Audio Technica, AKG, Denon, Beyerdynamic, even Sony makes some pretty decent ones.

Anyone else ever repair their headphones
If so how hard did you find it?

I just repair my AudioTechnica ATH-A900X headphones due to the cable failing.

After my initial disappointment my AKG K551s are really starting to sound good.
The bass has tightened up, revealing a lot of nuance and detail.
There's also a lot more detail in the mid mid range.
The nasty treble spike must have been cause by a bad source signal or the antenna extension cord I used.

They now sound well balanced and open, with lots of air.
I think I have to acquire an amp to really make them shine though: At high levels the sound is a bit compressed.

Avoid Skullcandy and Beats. Stick with reputable brands such as Sennheiser, Audio Technica, AKG, Denon, Beyerdynamic, even Sony makes some pretty decent ones.
Aren't there any other brands aside from the ones you've mentioned?

Latest Posts

Back