General Headphone Thread

Sure there is. Those are just a few reputable brands out there. I personally buy nothing other than Sennheiser or Audio Technica.
Oh ok. I'm actually looking for something more unique than those brands but with a good quality as well.

SVX
My brother already has them both (Sennheiser & Audio Technica) so I'd like try a different brand from what he already has. Anyway, I think I would settle for Bose since it seems the most ideal for me.

My brother already has them both (Sennheiser & Audio Technica) so I'd like try a different brand from what he already has. Anyway, I think I would settle for Bose since it seems the most ideal for me.

If you looking at Bose for wireless and noise cancelling then I‘d strongly suggest taking a look at the Sony WH-1000XM3. General opinion is that they have Bose beat on all counts.

I have the first generation of these headphones - the MDR-1000X and can honestly say they are excellent in terms of sound quality and noise cancellation - and I‘m saying this as somebody who owns more headphones than I can honestly count.

If you looking at Bose for wireless and noise cancelling then I‘d strongly suggest taking a look at the Sony WH-1000XM3. General opinion is that they have Bose beat on all counts.

I have the first generation of these headphones - the MDR-1000X and can honestly say they are excellent in terms of sound quality and noise cancellation - and I‘m saying this as somebody who owns more headphones than I can honestly count.
Okay, will do. Thanks.

How about wireless gaming? I have a Corsair HS70 currently. While I am mostly happy with them, they could be better.

How about wireless gaming? I have a Corsair HS70 currently. While I am mostly happy with them, they could be better.

To be honest I don't know how they would perform for gaming use. Certainly they don't support 7.1 decoding and simulation, and the mic is really only for phone calls.

To be honest when it comes to gaming I tend to just use a Sony Gold (2018) headset, and then only with the PSVR as they're over ear and designed to fit with the PSVR. They get the job done, but that's about it, and even then despite them being wireless you actually need to plug them into the PSVR for the VR sound processing to work.

The generally regarded top end for wireless gaming headphones would probably be the Audeze Mobius clocking in at a cool $400, but they won't work wirelessly with a PS4 if that's one of your intended platforms. You'll need to plug them into a controller unfortunately due to Sony only allowing licensed headphones to connect wirelessly via Bluetooth.

Sorry, I don't really have much of a handle on gaming headphones as I use a pro audio setup with active monitors which pull double duty for gaming and music production.

These Philips X2HR headphones arrived today:

81LdX-kl0iL._SX425_.jpg

along with a V-Moda BoomPro

617HEhHGGML._SY355_.jpg

I'm looking to get some wireless headphones for my dad to watch TV late at night. He has a normal HDTV, not a Smart TV. How do we go about this?

I played a few matched last night with the Philips I posted above. I have no idea how well the mic works because I did not use it, but the sound of the headphones was nice. However, I already am slightly annoyed by being tethered to a cable. Cables are a pain in the rear.

I'm looking to get some wireless headphones for my dad to watch TV late at night. He has a normal HDTV, not a Smart TV. How do we go about this?
I haven't used any of them but there are a ton of headphones for TV on Amazon. No idea what the interface is like or how to switch between headphone and the TV speakers.

Yea, that's what matters most because he's old and not very tech savvy at all. I have to pretty much do everything for them. Do they usually connect to the cable box in some way or it's just the TV audio? I might have to go to an actual Best Buy and see something hands on *shutters*

Sony is very well regarded in this space (and wired as well, but we aren't talking about that :P). What's your budget?

I played a few matched last night with the Philips I posted above. I have no idea how well the mic works because I did not use it, but the sound of the headphones was nice. However, I already am slightly annoyed by being tethered to a cable. Cables are a pain in the rear.

To follow up on this, I may need to start looking into getting a DAC and Amp.

Give me a few minutes and I'll look through stuff.

Congratulations, you have the bug. :D

Welcome. Your wallet hates you now.

My wallet already hated me.

I just bought a sectional about a month ago. Some jerk decided slashing one of my tires was a good idea (also about a month ago) and I had to replace two tires so the wear would be even. A new monitor is presently out for delivery. And the girlfriend and I are going on a cruise in just over a week and have not paid the other couple our portion yet.

Oh and I forgot about the four trips to the vet just over a month ago because one of the two dogs decided it was a good idea to crack one of her toenails really badly.

Now after all that ranting, I get to go down the rabbit hole of dacs and amps for the PC.

@coryclifford I saw they had some good Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales that I missed out on. Would the Fulla 2 be a good option to start with?

I'm also trying to consider a wireless headphone in the future for my smart TV, maybe next year.

I might sound like an amateur for asking this but does connecting a wireless headphone on standard HDTV require some specific peripheral device compared to a smart TV or do both of them require it for connection?

@coryclifford I saw they had some good Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales that I missed out on. Would the Fulla 2 be a good option to start with?

You could go chi-fi route as well. Audiophiles seem to agree that Topping, FiiO and some of Monoprice's offers are also decents. I'm also looking for one but there's no hurry from my part :lol:

These Philips X2HR headphones arrived today:

81LdX-kl0iL._SX425_.jpg

along with a V-Moda BoomPro

617HEhHGGML._SY355_.jpg
Have you got to use the V-Moda yet? I've thought about buying one lately because I've been thinking about buying a wireless headset after I eventually buy a graphics card for PC.

Have you got to use the V-Moda yet? I've thought about buying one lately because I've been thinking about buying a wireless headset after I eventually buy a graphics card for PC.

Nope. The V-Moda is hooked up to the headphones, but I have not a chance to talk to anyone with it yet. It does not help that I am not particularly talkative anyways. I have only had a chance to use the headphones/mic for a short time the day they arrived and have not been able to touch them since. I should have some opportunity over the next few days/weekend to give them more time.

I'm also trying to consider a wireless headphone in the future for my smart TV, maybe next year.

I might sound like an amateur for asking this but does connecting a wireless headphone on standard HDTV require some specific peripheral device compared to a smart TV or do both of them require it for connection?

A Bluetooth adapter of some kind, apparently. If it's a Smart TV...I think most are fitted with BT.

You could go chi-fi route as well. Audiophiles seem to agree that Topping, FiiO and some of Monoprice's offers are also decents. I'm also looking for one but there's no hurry from my part :lol:

This is true. The thing about the rabbit hole is...there's no one answer to anything. For the price of the Fulla, you could pick up a SMSL M3 or an FX Audio DAC-X6 for less and have something left over for...cables? I'd say pads but the Fidelio's aren't user friendly (because they're glued :irked:).

A Bluetooth adapter of some kind, apparently. If it's a Smart TV...I think most are fitted with BT.
I hope my TV has it since I haven't checked yet. The only thing I don't like with wireless is that the battery life could decrease significantly once it's not used for a very long time.

@Brett it all comes down to how much you want to spend, and the slight incremental differences the more expensive stuff gets you.

It’s a deep rabbit hole, so be careful. Alcohol changes the sound to me, and the mood I’m in. :D

Back